Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bathroom sounds posted:

Lore-wise, how exactly do warlocks work? Why would a demon or devil or Lovecraftian ancient Thing condescend to make a pact with a trifling mortal? And what exactly is a warlock's end game supposed to be?

A patron's motivations are generally left up to the DM and player to agree on, and as others have mentioned, not every warlock needs to have directly signed some kind of contract for their power. At its most essential, the Warlock is distinguised from the Sorceror and Wizard in that instead of being naturally gifted with magic or studying for years to attain it, they took a potentially dangerous shortcut that gives them immediate benefits but might cause problems long-term.

The flipside of the Diabolic pact Warlock pledging his soul to the Nine Hells in exchange for power is a fey pact warlock who just tapped into secrets of the feywild with no real consequences. It really depends on how you want to play it. I mean, is it really that hard to believe that someone who isn't particularly talented or patient would make a deal for massive eldritch power now and hope to come out on top in the long run instead of dedicating their entire life to studying the arcane arts and hoping that they're one of the few that actually get to master them enough to use them?

As for patron motivations, well it's pretty simple. Devils need a constant influx of souls to hopefully one day break out of their prison, and bargains are their primary source of souls. But even without putting your literal soul at risk, most of the patrons can't really exert their will directly. They're stuck on some other plane of existence or only have vestigial power, so they need a go-between. Empowering some guy who wants to shoot magic laser beams in exchange for occasional services rendered is a pretty good way of getting poo poo done in their name.

In some fictional works, making complicated compacts with extra-planar entities of immense power is the ONLY way magic works. Dr. Strange from Marvel comics for example channels the power of various entities who have agreed to lend this small fraction of their might to whatever use he sees fit in exchange for various oaths the line of Sorceror Supremes have sworn that benefits them in some way. He basically plays mediator between cosmic giants by manifesting what those entities would consider parlor tricks. A warlock is just someone who doesn't have quite as good a contract as that.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Class skill lists are probably the worst thing about 4e, so...

Class proficiencies could be better, too. Fighters are proficient in almost every kind of armor and weapon, yet a lot of other melee classes don't have that kinda versatility and need to spend feats, and fighters can only have so many functional builds that use a bow or daggers or whatever.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Haha, that's actually where I got the idea. I figured if Bioware, with all their resources, could get away with using the same map over and over again for Baldur's Gate's extensive sewers, I could get away with doing the same for Neverwinter. I never start them in the same entrance/room and change little things here and there, but it really helps from a DMing perspective--if the players go into the sewers and have an encounter for any reason, I have a map ready for them.

I'm just curious why your players are constantly going into the sewers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Klungar posted:

There is a reason why MM3 math replaced MM1 math. Creatures with lots of HP that do small amounts of damage do not make for interesting encounters, they make for boring slogs. Please do not use pre-MM3 monsters without converting their stats.

Just going to point out that, while I agree with the math stuff, I absolutely hate the MM3 and onward's monster blocks and wish they'd kept the original layout. This might just come down to personal preference, but it really bugs me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Just going to point out that, while I agree with the math stuff, I absolutely hate the MM3 and onward's monster blocks and wish they'd kept the original layout. This might just come down to personal preference, but it really bugs me.

Been re-reading MM3 and it reminded me that in addition to the obnoxious new monster blocks, they replaced the serviceable and neutral descriptions of the monsters and their lore with poo poo like this:

quote:

The adventurers pursued the ogre raiders for a week
through the wilderness before finding their cave
at last. Four of them sat crouched around a fire , as
if hoping to make themselves easy targets. Too late
did the heroes see the rest of the pack waiting in the
shadows.

gently caress youuuuu.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I seem to remember some articles in Dungeon and/or Dragon mag about creating interesting character concepts that are somewhat outside the box and keeping them viable from level 1 to 30, how good were those as guides on how to make characters in a general sense?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

unseenlibrarian posted:

I admit, I played a Drow sniper rogue who had all the feats to make Hand Crossbow be less terrible so I could run around John Wooing at people with dual hand crossbows. It's me, I'm what's wrong with 4E.

What's wrong with 4E is that such a great concept is not as viable as a default build.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Oh so a while ago I asked the 4E thread about what they would do to make bullywugs playable. Barring anything more creative and difficult to implement, three bonus feats seemed to do it. I didn't specify what feats they had to be.

One of my players once made a heroic Bullywug Valiant Bard who was basically Frog from Chrono Trigger, and I gave him specific feats and changed his racial to something that wasn't depressing and garbage. It was with the specific intent to make him seem more heroic and less like a wart on the face of reality, so I'm not sure how applicable it is to the standard race as presented in the monster manual.

They were also not playtested or balanced very well(or at all), but they might be an interesting starting point if nothing else.

Racial

quote:

Violent Hop (Minor Action; Bullywog Racial Power; encounter) - Weapon
(Replaces Rancid Air)
You can shift up to 4 squares and make a melee basic attack vs Reflex
with a +2 accuracy bonus.

Feats

quote:

Camouflaged skin:

Gain +3 to stealth checks when immobile

Improved Violent Hop

Shift 6 squares

Prehensile tongue

The tongue can be used as a limb with a reach of 3 for the purposes of lifting small
objects or pulling switches and similar tasks. It cannot wield tools, grapple foes or
accomplish delicate tasks.

Slimy Sheen

The bullywug gains a +2 feat bonus to defensive grapple checks or struggling to remove
bonds of any kind. Creatures attempting any grab attack take a -2 penalty to their
attack roll.

Menacing Croak

The bullywug gains a +4 bonus to intimidate checks made as a standard action during
an encounter. This bonus does not apply to any subsequent intimidate checks against
the same target.

Amphibian

Gain Swim speed equal to walk speed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, I should mention I made these the very first time I played the game and haven't touched them since. This is the same game where I didn't think letting a player tame a low level monster and use it in battle like a pokemon would lead to any problems.

I think my reasoning at the time was that Bullywugs were basically gimped otherwise, so having a good racial would balance things like only having one skill bonus and all that. I just thought the idea of a frog guy jumping around to slash folk might be cool. Obviously it could be reworked to be something like a free 4 square shift before (or maybe after) a standard attack, once per encounter, sort of like a reworked fey step that's inherently tied to attacking. Or maybe even more specific, like letting you shift up to X squares to get into position to do your next attack better, whether it's jumping into melee range or jumping to a ranged position where a foe no longer has cover. But I like your tongue-pulling idea, too.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 8, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PC minotaurs can also use large weapons and I don't think that hosed anything up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

No, they can't.

drat it, I was thinking of the Monster Manual version. :doh:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

The glaring problem with WotC's D&D product line, especially with 4E, is a lack of really great and memorable adventures. I guess the splat book treadmill makes better business sense considering TSR's fate, but WotC's editions haven't left us with a whole lot of memorable collective stories like the TSR editions did.

I thought Scales of War was pretty neat. Mind, I never played it... just dreamed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

I'm not keen on 4E modules, but Gammaworld is perfect for such a game and comes with some decent and humorous adventures.

You know this is the 4e thread, right?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Gamma World is stripped and refluffed 4E. My suggestion was completely appropriate. Do you have something else to recommend?

My bad, I'm extremely dumb and got confused with Apocalypse World.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I had a horse warlock in my party once. Just a regular horse who somehow made a fey pact. He had a horse-dragon familiar. It looked like this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey guys, I can't really see if there's a better thread to ask this in, but can any of you tell me what that one undead DnD monster that's like, some kind of knight tied to an evil sword is called? I know that's rather vague, sorry. They retain their intellect and memories, I think. I'm pretty sure it isn't Death Knights.

I'm pretty sure it was featured in some issue of one of the 4e digital magazines, but I don't really want to re-read every issue.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Prison Warden posted:

It's a Death Knight. The monster template is in MM1 if I remember right.

Arivia posted:

You might be thinking about the dread, a monster from the Forgotten Realms, although where it's covered in 4e I don't know.

I was actually getting confused between Death Knight and Unrisen. Thanks anyway!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey guys, would this be the right thread to post a custom 4e town I made back in the day for feedback? It's been a hot minute, but I liked what I did with it, and I'd like to use it in a future game, but maybe it could do with some updating...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Spiteski posted:

Either this thread or the GM advice thread could be ok. Go ahead and post it

Ok, here goes.

quote:

City of Red Oak

Type:
Mountain valley town, fortified

Population: 950

Population makeup: Half-elves, halflings, some goliaths, some humans, some dwarves, few dragonborn, few tieflings, few elves, few gnomes and one half-orc.

Mascot:
Dire Snapping Turtle

Geography:
The town is built mostly on a graded area, using the solid mountain rock as foundation. A gentle stream cascades through its center in a layered waterfall. The region is a mix of forest, valley, river and mountain, providing a very pleasing atmosphere for people who enjoy various different aspects of nature's beauty. Mountain Goats and Dire Snapping Turtles are commonplace.

History:
The town was founded only 80 years ago by a group of nomadic halflings who thought it a good place to settle and enjoy a quiet life, with no nobles to bow to or crooked city guards to bribe. They named it Red Oak after the large and mighty oak tree that stands in the city square to this day, as it was fall at the time. They set up simple farms on the rich soil and built a wooden wall to protect their new home. The halflings were soon chanced upon by a traveling group of half-elven traders, who realized the newly-settled area was ideally close to all their trading targets. Adopting the native Giant Dire Snapping Turtle as their mascot, the city's reputation as a carefree area with good hospitality and enchanting scenery grew. Human settlers soon joined in, and more and more half-elves settled there over time, as the city's particular mix of strong community and natural surroundings appealed to their dual nature. The merchant guild eventually spread word of the area to their clients, and soon dwarves who had grown tired of the darkness of mines and small bands of goliaths made the town their home. Some elven, tiefling and dragonborn settlers soon followed, as well as a few gnomes. The town seems to attract people of a strongly individualist and artistic nature.

The town has had trouble with a nearby goblin tribe on numerous occasions in the past decade, but they've always been able to repel them with little problem. The town sees many wandering souls settle there for a few years, sometimes months, only to begin their travels anew once they grow restless. A good portion of its citizens spend much of their time away from town, returning in between travels to rest and catch up with old friends.

Government:
The town's mayor is a Halfling named Hobert Riverbrow, he and his council handle all of the city's governing duties.

Defense:
The city guard is made up of 30 archers and 40 warriors, mostly half-elves but with a few dwarves, dragonborn, goliaths and halflings. Various traps are set around the city, ready to be triggered in case of an attack. There is also a 200-man volunteer militia, and the city is surrounded by fortified wooden walls. A group of 20 mercenaries called the Stoneblades are also based in town, and have an arrangement to help defend it from invaders should the need arise.

Inns:
The Mossy Stone inn is the most affordable one in town, run by a chatty halfling named Thanda Harefoot. Its friendly competitor, the Redleaf inn, is a slightly more upscale establishment run by a half-elf named Marcus Swiftwind.

Taverns:
Mossy Stone Taproom, The Minstrel's Flask, and Oakbrew Tavern

Supplies:
Half and Half Trading House, Snapping Turtle Supplies

Temples: Temple of Avandra, Temple of Melora, Temple of Correlon, shrines to every other god around town (except the bad guys)

Points of interest:

Red Oak Hall:

The city hall is where Hobert Riverbrow works and resides. Despite his cheery appearance, he takes his position very seriously and takes a very hands-on approach to governing. He personally greets all new settlers and meets with anyone who takes an appointment with him, no matter their standing.

Cascade Guard Barracks:
The Cascade Guard is the city's military. Led by a particularly finicky Dragonborn named Ghesh IronScale, they assure the defense of the city. Due to the carefree nature of its citizens, Ghesh doesn't feel like the militia is particularly reliable and is always looking for ways to shore up the city's defenses. He feels that a coordinated assault by an invading force would be too hard to repel, and that the city's growing prosperity will eventually make it a target for things worse than goblins. He trains his troops very strictly and is constantly dismayed at the ease with which the city council dismisses his requests for more funding. He holds the Stoneblades in great contempt for their undisciplined and rowdy nature, but is grudgingly thankful for the extra swordhands. He has a particularly strained relationship with Thotham Kagson.

Stoneblades Headquarters:
A band of mercenaries that settled in town 8 years ago after finding it to be both hospitable, isolated and yet relatively close to various prolific towns, the stoneblades are a rowdy, downright violent bunch who contrast sharply with the rest of the city's more artistic and friendly populace. Allowed some leniency due to an oath to defend the town, they often cause a ruckus after celebrating a well-done mission, and some whisper they do not pay their taxes. Despite their brutal and merciless tactics when "working", they are smart enough not to push their luck with the city's government, lest they inquire into some of their less reputable activities, like the illegal gambling ring they run, or their trading with unscrupulous scavenger caravans. They are led by Thotham Kagson, a towering Goliath with a very aggravating and disrespectful attitude, who loves nothing more than to goad strangers into fights, only to humiliate them in combat. They will do anything for the right price, and often clash with the city guard. One of their members, Yurk the half-orc, is renowned for his brutal fighting skills.

The Minstrel's Flask:
The most popular tavern in town, it is favored by bards and minstrels and has a stage to allow musicians, storytellers or other manners of performers a chance to shine. The atmosphere is quite jovial and welcoming, and the owner,a bubbly Half-elven woman named Faral Binnety, contributes greatly to the warmth of the establishment, often singing cheery songs as she works.

City Square:
The large oak after which the town is named after covers most of the city square in a pleasant shade. On fair summer afternoons, minstrels tend to sit beneath its shade and recount legends new and old, true and false.

Mossy Stone Inn:
5 SP a night, this modest inn is most famous for its taproom and friendly host, Thanda Harefoot. As friendly as she is chatty, Thanda is a great source of town gossip.

Redleaf Inn:
Marcus Swiftwind is a retired adventurer who takes great pride in offering a cozy yet relatively upscale lodging experience to his customers. 1 GP a night gets you a room at his inn.

Snapping Turtle Supplies:
Sibrek ProudBeard is the owner of this bazaar, where a lot of basic equipment is for sale. He is perfectly willing to place orders for more exotic merchandise if the PCs ask, as he has many contacts with what remains of the trading caravans that helped the town prosper in its early days. Sibrek is a former mountaineer, always offering unsolicited frontiersman advice and talking about the good old days.

Half and Half Trading House:
This trading house used to be quite reputable, but slow business has forced the owner, a halfling named Genner Dodgefoe, to enter into a partnership with a Tiefling named Skamos Fintell, who turned the trading house into more of a "no questions asked" pawn shop, much to the dismay of the original proprietor. Still, business has improved a lot, so he keeps his misgivings to himself. Skamos runs the night shift of the store, and is far less scrupulous and inquisitive than his associate, but he is also a shrewder negotiator, and PCs would be better served trading legitimate goods during the day. Due to the sometimes unsavory customers he gets during his shift, Skamos has hired a bodyguard, a humorless Goliath named Gauthak Peakstomper.

Oakbrew Tavern:
Founded 40 years ago by a group of mountain dwarves who felt the local alcohol selection to be too tame, the Oakbrew Tavern is known for its strong ale and rowdy clientele. It is the favored establishment of the Stoneblades, and the din of the clientele is a good cover for anyone engaged in shady dealings.

I don't have the embarrassing handrawn map I made back in the day, but the town is basically situated just off to the right of the Nentir Vale map, on the other side of the Dawnforge Mountains.

I know the idea of a "valley in a mountain" isn't quite logical, but I had a specific setup in mind and didn't know how else to express it. I used these images I found on GIS to demonstrate the geography as I pictured it:

I think the turtle in that image is the only reason the town has dire snapping turtles as a mascot. :B

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Does the complete lack of feedback on my made-up town mean it's good or terrible? :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

I'm still salty that WotC never contracted a company to make a Gamma World video game in the vein of XCOM.

And I'm salty WOTC never made a proper DnD 4e app where you can plug in pre-made dungeons/monsters and mess around with em to customize em, or make your own from scratch. Do you own the PDF for the second Monster Manual? Enter the special code into the app to add every single monster from that book to the special app! Play on your tablet! The app does all the math so you don't have to spend 90 minutes in every combat encounter! The premade dungeons mean you don't have to spend 16 hours preparing everything manually in maptools!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dick Burglar posted:

I had no idea there was a 4E book called Open Grave.

It's pretty neat but it was published very early on so it's got a lot of old monster math in it, so be careful. One of the level 1 encounters suggested in it was kind of a disaster for my players because of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Forceful Force is some top-tier stuff.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You could just add the fire keyword to his attacks (or his at-will) if he takes a minor action and leave it at that. It's not exactly official, but it's hardly gonna break the game. An encounter-long damage bonus might, though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say again how much I like the Ruthless Ruffian rogue class feature from Martial Power, and every power created for said build. It's one of the most interesting and fun twists on a core class I've ever seen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

dont even fink about it posted:

Funnily enough I think it is by far considered the most poo poo rogue option, because its core benefits are comparatively underwhelming and any rogue can poach the rest of it if they are so inclined.

Like all the PHB classes Rogue is one of the best classes in the game though, so in general you won't notice a huge disparity. It is the class I've had the most fun with.

Oh I'm not surprised at all, but its mere existence means we have a bunch of rogue powers that are flavored around knocking people around so badly that they get spooked and do what you say. And the idea of a rogue wielding maces is the best.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, I was thinking about playable orcs and how they differ from half-orcs and the weird place half-orcs have in dnd history(basically a compromise to create a playable orc back when they were all one-dimensionaly evil and brutish), and I was wondering if there's any 4e material on player character orcs aside from the tiny stat block at the end of the first monster manual. I checked Dragon Magazine, and there doesn't seem to be anything there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

4e adventures suffer from the devs themselves really not having 100% grasp on their own game and how it worked, especially early on. Of course, it's made worse by the fact that those early adventures were made by Mike Mearls, who easily understood 4e the least.

And also they fired a bunch of the people who made 4e what it is before they could make any adventures.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

slap me and kiss me posted:

Build it and they will come

Maaaan I wish 4e had an open license.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Yeah, although given their previous experience I'm not surprised they wanted to avoid someone creating path4inder as a 5e competitor.

Yeah I totally get it, but then Mike Mearls pushed 4e off a cliff so it'd be nice if someone was able to pick it up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Also minion-level one shot traps are fun to just pepper around areas, especially if you flavor them as some other kind of effect. Magic storms or rockslides or whatever.

My favorite trap is the one that's a screaming head on a stick. It screams at you and it hurts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You might consider some kind of abilities/restrictions related to the weapon they use, considering Death Knights' powers are so closely tied to their weapons. Something as basic as the swordmage's swordbond, plus the gimmick actual Death Knights have where taking their weapon away dazes and weakens both them and the thief.

Revenants have several feats that enhance the "undead" flavor, such as no longer needing to breathe or eat, so you might look into either giving some of them for free (honestly, not eating or breathing is mechanically negligible unless you're going to be fighting a lot of noxious clouds) or allowing the player to trade their existing feats for extra spookiness.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 17, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, did anyone ever make a good homebrewed standalone necromancer class? I really don't find myself satisfied with what Heroes of Shadow has to offer.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kurieg posted:

There's another one, Avangion just gives you dragon wings made out of light. The one I'm thinking of gives you a daily power that lets you turn into a great wyrm for the rest of that combat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that I don't understand how anyone can think the Great Wheel is good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hey, is the 4e Tomb of Horrors adventure book any good? I never hear anyone talk about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dagon posted:

Assuming you mean the "re-imagining" and not the straight remake, I'm starting it tomorrow for my group. We just finished the "Orcus Conversion" of H1-3, and rather than continue with the conversion of the P-series modules, I'm slotting in the Tomb of Horrors stuff for Paragon Tier, then back to the E-series stuff to finish.

I mean the official paragon tier adventure module that they put out that's like a sequel to the original adventure. Not the horrendous conversion of the original that someone put online.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Moriatti posted:

I might be running an FMA game in this system as a result of a group chat.
Other than being more action oriented than the show, are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

I'm not sure there's a lot of rules support for teenage angst and libertarian moralizing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

4e would be a lot better if feats were separated into "makes you fight better" and "doesn't make you fight better" and you had to alternate between the two. That'd remove a bunch of the trap options right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

isndl posted:

You mean you don't take the feat that lets your Tiefling use their tail as a hand?! :raise:

See this is what I'm saying. That's awesome, in a world where that's not weighed against feats that give you a +1 to your combat rolls.