Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are loving awesome.

Originally published in 1984 as a parody of the work Frank Miller was doing on Daredevil, they soon outgrew their parody roots and grew in popularity. A cartoon, toy line, feature films, video games, there wasn’t any medium they didn’t conquer.
The Turtles have survived numerous revamps, relaunches, ownership changes, squabbles between the original creators, there’s nothing the Turtles can’t overcome. They’ve firmly entrenched themselves into our popular culture.

And they rule.

I loving love the TMNT. Like most, my first exposure was the original animated series and Playmates toyline. Unlike anything else they just make this impression that sticks with you.

Recently Nickelodeon purchased the rights to the TMNT and launched an all new animated series and licensed the comics to IDW. The new comics are staying true to the originals but are following their own path with some great new twists and concepts behind the team.

IDW is also publishing collections of the original books in gorgeous oversized hardcovers. I believe there are also plans to collect all the comics in chronological softcovers.

Next year will also see the release of their big screen revamp which will undoubtedly bring them new levels of attention what with Michael Bay attached as producer.

Everybody’s got their favorite turtle and unless you’re a jerk your favorite is Raphael.

And now, some pretty pictures

Who’s your favorite Turtle? Villain? How did you come to love them? What’s your favorite incarnation of the property? At the very least, post your favorite Turlte art, toy or memory in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
If you were a kid and turtles fan in the early 90s then you saw this or wanted to. (I did)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dE8Vyq2nx1A

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Everyone knows the best turtle is Donatello. Raphael was too much of a hot head, Leonardo was boring, and Michelangelo was a lame stoner. Donatello may not be the strongest turtle, but he uses his strengths the best.

Also he was the best turtle to play in the arguably greatest turtle game, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time. Technodrome: Let's Kick Shell! My brother and I must have wasted hours on this game, first at Chucky Cheese and then on our SNES.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I remember first seeing the Turtles toys in some random comic ad and being so loving excited I couldn't stop talking about it for weeks. You know, I wouldn't say I'm a massive Turtles fan, but I am pretty impressed by the generally high quality of the franchise as a whole. Not to say there isn't a bunch of crap, but compared to something like Transformers it isn't even a contest. For instance there has never been a bad Turtles cartoon, and the original two movies definitely hold up as being totally fun. Not to mention the comics.

I was a Don guy 'cause I'm a loving nerd and also the bo staff rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only time Donatello came in handy was during the original NES game. You jumped up on the crates and used his staff to pummel the bad guy from above.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The current incarnation is pretty fun. It's hitting the sweet-spot between nostalgia, bad-rear end, and goofy. For example, here's some panels from the Bebop and Rocksteady issue of the Villains micro-series, via 4th Letter:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

The current incarnation is pretty fun. It's hitting the sweet-spot between nostalgia, bad-rear end, and goofy. For example, here's some panels from the Bebop and Rocksteady issue of the Villains micro-series, via 4th Letter:

drat it, we sold out of that one and I never got it back in. That looks amazing, I love that look for Rocksteady.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

One of these days I'm gonna have to find the box that has all my TMNT magazines from the late 80s/early 90s and scan the featured full-page art spreads from every issue. They were really freaking good and nothing like what I'd seen before as the average cartoon-and-videogames kid fan of the 80s.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The way they're doing Bebop and Rocksteady in the current series is great (dumb wannabe criminals poo poo on by the world - become hulking mutants so they can be poo poo on only slightly less, but they're just SO loving STOKED). I think everything about the current series is great, even if a lot of the time everyone else is way more interesting than the Turtles themselves (Casey Jones' dad, for instance).

My first Turtles experience came from the show, then the Archie comics (Stump Asteroid, Cowlick, etc etc). I had toys. Had the Technodrome. Saw both movies in theaters and had the third on VHS. My mom sewed me a Leonardo costume for Halloween (I still have the costume and a photo of me in it at age 5). I wore that poo poo to pre-school like every day for a month. Had every Turtles game, I was a freak. It was a good time to be marketed to!

My favorite turtle was always Donatello, if only because he has the most reach in the video games. He was also smart - like me! - and came through with all the big ideas.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I think a lot of kids growing up liked Don, because he was the gadget guy and all kids love gadgets.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dr. Hurt posted:

Everyone knows the best turtle is Donatello. Raphael was too much of a hot head, Leonardo was boring, and Michelangelo was a lame stoner. Donatello may not be the strongest turtle, but he uses his strengths the best.

Also he was the best turtle to play in the arguably greatest turtle game, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time. Technodrome: Let's Kick Shell! My brother and I must have wasted hours on this game, first at Chucky Cheese and then on our SNES.

It led to one of my favorite mashup songs, "Got Yourself Sewer Surfin" by MasDaMind.

The thing I love about the current series is that the writers looked at the old cartoon and wondered, "Why would the ninja master and the alien warlord be teaming up? They should be at war with each other!" And that's what IDW's series is. A shitload of evil factions going to war with each other while the Turtles are stuck in the middle, trying to do the right thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I liked Don but all the other Turtles kids in grade school thought I was a huge nerd, everyone else liked Mikey or Raph because they were the party dude/badass respectively. Leonardo was okay, I guess because swords, but you were still sort of a dork for picking the straight-arrow leader type (unless it was a toss-up between Leo and Don, then it was obvious and understood).

Smart kids picked Don because his weapon was the easiest to improvise in playfighting -- and the easiest to hit other kids with and get away with it :devil:

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Why didn't anyone TELL me that Ross Campbell was on the Turtles. I thought he was just doing the Alopex mini! You guys really dropped the ball on this one.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I got a box of toys from my cousin, all of them turtles. I even got his NES and the Turtles game came with it.

Does anyone know what to do in the NES game after you beat the dam level?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Of course not every iteration of the TMNT was awesome. Some were just plain awful.

The live action TV series 'The Next Mutation' was embarrassingly bad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1bG_qlGIA

And then there was the inevitable Japanese adaptation with 'super mutations' and power zords and all that poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMfb60lc14
Punch one and two!
Kicks go Boom Boom!

They even got an official toy release:

Speaking of action figures, there were literally hundreds of TMNT toys and it seems that they were so desperate to cash in on the Turtles craze that they ran with absolutely any idea no matter how idiotic it was, which resulted in a bunch of awesome toys but also a mountain of lovely weird crap. Here's a random selection:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today. How the gently caress did I forget about those Trek Turtles?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This thread does not have the same policy where talking about the female turtle is not allowed?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today. How the gently caress did I forget about those Trek Turtles?

I wasn't exaggerating when I said there were hundreds of toys, we could probably have an entire thread just about the vehicles that were made for the old TMNT action figures.

They had a fuckin' tank and a jet fighter. :black101:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today.

I dunno, I saw my nephew once removed playing with his TMNT toys during christmas, and that poo poo looks exactly like the ones from the 80s, only they're way more poseable and don't have really obvious seams where the plastic molds got stuck together. And the details aren't really obviously painted onto single-color plastic with sloppy splotches.

This poo poo is seriously beyond parody. No jokes about Ice Escapade Batman variants will ever be as funny or stupid as this actual factual toy of a ninja turtle as a loving farmer.

E: Also Mikey is the coolest because he knows how to enjoy life and is a sensitive artist and has a cat. He's the heart of the team. :colbert:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 31, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

This thread does not have the same policy where talking about the female turtle is not allowed?

Ask Waterhaul I guess.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lurdiak posted:

E: Also Mikey is the coolest because he knows how to enjoy life and is a sensitive artist and has a cat. He's the heart of the team. :colbert:

Don't forget about being the most talented ninja and fighter, beating the infinite crisis tournament back in the '03 cartoon. :pseudo:

I got in from the movies, and throughout the years i've changed opinions on favorite turtle but one constant always remains: Don's a lame nerd.

Anyway, man, this month's issue made me tear up, like most Mikey issues, in a good way. I can't believe how much joy these comics can bring.

Finally, you should buy a toy of your favorite turtle from the 2012 line because they're so freaking good! Like, if I had this when I was a kid my head would've blown off
http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Michelangelo/dp/B008BM2LJ2/ref=pd_bxgy_t_text_y

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started watching the original films the other night which is what really prompted this thread. TMNT1 and 2 are so incredibly dated, more so than the original cartoon series. I skipped 3 and jumped right to the animated TMNT film which I absolutely loved when I first watched it. I'm very happy to say that it's every bit as enjoyable as when I first saw it. I haven't really dipped into the new cartoon series, it looks similar, the consensus on it is pretty good yes?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Rhyno posted:

I started watching the original films the other night which is what really prompted this thread. TMNT1 and 2 are so incredibly dated, more so than the original cartoon series. I skipped 3 and jumped right to the animated TMNT film which I absolutely loved when I first watched it. I'm very happy to say that it's every bit as enjoyable as when I first saw it. I haven't really dipped into the new cartoon series, it looks similar, the consensus on it is pretty good yes?

I've been watching it recently (just finished ep 14 an hour ago) and am enjoying it quite a bit. My only real issue with it is Mikey crosses the line from laid back stoner to questionably handicapped a few times. Still might be the best TMNT cartoon ever made.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's pretty good, yes. I'd say it's sorta like the IDW comics in taking stuff from all eras and going on its own path, just more child-oriented and taking different cues and beats (for example, rather than being a rat that mutates to a giant rat, the cartoon goes with the 80's cartoon version where Yoshi touched a rat then ooze) so they contrast really great.

The first fight with Shredder, tho! :allears: As close to the first comic as it gets.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The turtles were a huge part of my childhood, and all of their ridiculous turtle toys. I only got into the original books much later in my twenties, but I read the archie comics when I was in my early teens, and the difference is hilarious. I had no idea how they started out, only that the franchise began in the early 80s. I totally identified with Don because he was the brainy one and I was always the smart kid in school, hah.

:spergin:Also, stupid editorial nitpick but could a mod capitalize 'megathread' and 'metalhead', please?:spergin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Metalhead rules and might actually be the best Turtle

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Was metalhead just an AI or did he have an actual brain? It's been so long since I've read about him and searching said info outside of the thread just seems antisocial.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

The #1 policy when it comes to all things TMNT is to never, under any circumstances, watch the banned Insane in the Membrane episode of the 4Kids cartoon. :stare:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Ask Waterhaul I guess.

I was talking about this

quote:

In a 2007 interview, director Kevin Munroe elaborated on the instructions Peter Laird gave to him for TMNT. Munroe admitted that among those rules was, "there’s absolutely no mention of Venus de Milo, the female Turtle. You can’t even joke about that with Peter. It’s just one of those things that he hates with a passion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I was talking about this

That makes me want to put up signs all around his neighborhood advertising the character.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rhyno posted:

I started watching the original films the other night which is what really prompted this thread. TMNT1 and 2 are so incredibly dated, more so than the original cartoon series. I skipped 3 and jumped right to the animated TMNT film

bobkatt013 posted:

The fifth Turtle was originally going to be called Kirby and appear in the fourth live action film "TMNT 4: The Next Mutation" (so named because the original four Turtles and Splinter would undergo secondary mutations - Donnie would become a telepath, Raph was going to turn into a monstrous beast with fangs and claws, etc) but the third film was so god awful that it killed the movie franchise for 14 years until the 2007 CGI film came out.

The 'secondary mutation' idea would later be re-used in the cartoons and comics and the 5th Turtle idea would pop up in the 'TMNT The Next Mutation' live action TV show in she-who-must-not-be-named.

There's a great write up here about the unmade 4th film with lots and lots of concept art.

I love that Raph's chest plate has transformed into a demonic face as part of his secondary mutation. Great work guys! :thumbsup:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fifth Turtle was originally going to be called Kirby and appear in the fourth live action film "TMNT 4: The Next Mutation" (so named because the original four Turtles and Splinter would undergo secondary mutations - Donnie would become a telepath, Raph was going to turn into a monstrous beast with fangs and claws, etc) but the third film was so god awful that it killed the movie franchise for 14 years until the 2007 CGI film came out.

The 'secondary mutation' idea would later be re-used in the cartoons and comics and the 5th Turtle idea would pop up in the 'TMNT The Next Mutation' live action TV show in she-who-must-not-be-named.

There's a great write up here about the unmade 4th film with lots and lots of concept art.

I love that Raph's chest plate has transformed into a demonic face as part of his secondary mutation. Great work guys! :thumbsup:

I honestly don't know which terrible never-made sequel I would have rather seen: TMNT4 or Batman Triumphant starring Howard Stern as Scarecrow. Maybe Triumphant because it was supposed to have Jack Nicholson show up during one of Batman's fear gas freakouts.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I don't remember clearly how I got to know the turtles but I do remember going everywhere with my plastic shell and bandanna when I was a toddler. My main exposure to them was through the Fred Wolf cartoon and I've been a fan since then, sadly I lose them from sight as I grew and is just now than I'm following them again and yes, Leonardo was my favorite turtle :colbert:

They should've go with this look for the turtles on the new movie.

All those toys are really awesome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

All those toys are really awesome.

We haven't even gotten to the most awesome classic TMNT toy yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HxQPQjAuw

There's still plenty of weird stuff as well, such as the 'Flushomatic' toilet torture play set where the bad guys could tie down the turtles and poo poo on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRn5w34oh4

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 31, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We haven't even gotten to the most awesome classic TMNT toy yet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_HxQPQjAuw

There's still plenty of weird stuff as well, such as the 'Flushomatic' toilet torture play set where the bad guys could tie down the turtles and poo poo on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSRn5w34oh4

Do you have pics of the Troll Turtles? I still remember those adverstised on TV from years back.

I remember the cartoon about their secondary mutations. They fought a completely different alien enemy and they were notorious to the public. The funny thing is that they were addressed formally as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by Vern whenever he reported about them.

The CGI movie was pretty good and the fight between Leo and Raph had some great bantering in the beginning. In one scene is a closet with props from the other films like the ooze canister and the time machine from the third film.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Y'know outside of like the Power Rangers crossover I never actually watched any of the Turtles live action show growing up so the only female turtle stuff I usually see is the Ross Campbell fan stuff.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Why didn't anyone TELL me that Ross Campbell was on the Turtles. I thought he was just doing the Alopex mini! You guys really dropped the ball on this one.

I posted as soon as I knew! I don't think he's on full time or that though unfortunately.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Action Tortoise posted:

Do you have pics of the Troll Turtles? I still remember those adverstised on TV from years back.

Two great trends smooshed together for no reason at all! They actually made little TMNT trolls and 'giant' versions:

Also everyone knew there was official TMNT Legos now, right??

I would have killed for those when I was a kid. :sigh:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jan 31, 2014

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Bought the first TPB on a whim last month. I liked the Turtles as a kid, watched the cartoon, played the games, etc. but it didn't leave an impression on me the way Transformers did.

Still, the new comic was pretty decent and I got the second trade just yesterday. I'll probably keep buying one a month or so if the quality holds up.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
So is there an actual reason the girl turtle is so reviled beyond typical gross nerd misogyny? Did she throw off the sacred "leading the team/cool but rude" and "does machines/party dude" balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So is there an actual reason the girl turtle is so reviled beyond typical gross nerd misogyny? Did she throw off the sacred "leading the team/cool but rude" and "does machines/party dude" balance?

She's supposed to be magically trained but has no knowledge of everyday poo poo like telephones and slang terms. Adding a brand new character to an established group probably annoyed a lot of people.

Also Shredder gets hosed over early in the series so the show can have interdimensional dragons as the main antagonists.

That show had a Kraven-type character hunting down the Turtles and his personality was that he had female names for all his weapons. He was a pretty funny guy.

• Locked thread