Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Lurdiak posted:

Nah man he used to wear a cool skull-shaped one, but since his dad turned into Hun he's been wearing a Jason style mask, and people refer to it as "his old mask", which is confusing me.

Thats just different artists. The turtles change depending on the artist too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has there been any word on IDW publishing the new series in chronilogical order like the TF IDW Collection HCs?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Has there been any word on IDW publishing the new series in chronilogical order like the TF IDW Collection HCs?

Yup, with all the micro's and mini's included:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1631401114/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_4.c6tb1VANZ4R

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh snap! Don't know how I missed it! You just made my day buddy!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I should have held out for that instead of getting the Comixology volume, shouldn't I?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solaris Knight posted:

I should have held out for that instead of getting the Comixology volume, shouldn't I?

Do you swear by printed HCs like I do?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
No, but that has chronological order, and I am a huge :spergin:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solaris Knight posted:

No, but that has chronological order, and I am a huge :spergin:

Ha! I have that problem too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

For anyone with good knowledge on the Archie series, are there any characters who debuted in that who have anything to do with the IDW series? I was going to say Slash, but some research shows that he kind of showed up everywhere at once. He had his own action figure in the 1990 series, his debut in the Archie series was dated in August 1990 and his TV debut was September 1990.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Gavok posted:

For anyone with good knowledge on the Archie series, are there any characters who debuted in that who have anything to do with the IDW series? I was going to say Slash, but some research shows that he kind of showed up everywhere at once. He had his own action figure in the 1990 series, his debut in the Archie series was dated in August 1990 and his TV debut was September 1990.

No, I think there are rights issues between them. I remember reading somewhere that Alopex is meant to be Ninjara with the serial numbers filed off.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Aug 17, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Cudley made it into late-era Mirage which wasn't too terribly long ago so I don't know if there's really a rights issue.

Some people on technodrome were theorizing that Null might show up in IDW as they have that whole behind-the-scenes supernatural beings concept going on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The only rights issue I'm aware of was when Peter Laird forced the dozens of guest contributors to the original Mirage series to sign retroactive work-for-hire contracts so that they wouldn't get any royalties if their characters were used again, and some of them refused, causing him to declare all their stories non-canon. As far as I know, that legal situation hasn't changed, so we're unlikely to see Bloodsucker or any other creator owned characters from early Mirage pop up in anything but reprints.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swear I learn something new about Laird being kind of a jackass every few months.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm too old to have been into the cartoon, but I did like the original comics after reading a random assortment of them and buying the Palladium rpg book. Really though this thread reminded me of something else that I was introduced around the same time:

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters

quote:

In 1977, NASA launched a probe containing four hamsters to destroy a mysterious mass of radioactive, gelatinous substance that was hovering above the atmosphere. Exposure to the substance mutated the hamsters into anthropomorphic creatures, whose vessel later crashed down near a Tibetan monastery. There, they were adopted by the monks and trained in the martial arts. The four of them are named after actors from action and kung fu movies: Clint (Eastwood), Chuck (Norris), Bruce (Lee), and Jackie (Chan).

But I'm really actually only posting this because after googling it I learned that Sam freaking Keith worked on issues 6-9 :eyepop:

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

The only rights issue I'm aware of was when Peter Laird forced the dozens of guest contributors to the original Mirage series to sign retroactive work-for-hire contracts so that they wouldn't get any royalties if their characters were used again, and some of them refused, causing him to declare all their stories non-canon. As far as I know, that legal situation hasn't changed, so we're unlikely to see Bloodsucker or any other creator owned characters from early Mirage pop up in anything but reprints.

I'd always heard it was Gary Richardson (Mirage's CEO), not Laird - though Laird has generally defended Richardson's actions in vague and non-committal ways in the past.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I just finished the full City Fall arc in the IDW series and I think my favorite thing about the series is every time an old favorite character shows up, most of which I had completely forgotten about. The Rocksteady & Bebop reveal was loving awesome. The book has been chock full of them. This is probably my favorite comic series since reading Walking Dead many years ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So that annual was... pretty awful, actually. Probably the worst IDW issue I've read. And it doesn't even really tie into Turtles in Time at all.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ugh, I'm so far behind. I think I still lack one Northampton issue to finish the arc, but we just moved across the country and am still in the interview process for jobs, so I can't really justify buying comics right now. I did find a really cool comic shop not far from the new place though.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I did an article on the vast history of Ninja Turtles crossovers and the research made me realize that I've been missing out by not reading Flaming Carrot Comics. The Carrot/Raphael team-up was so much fun.

It also meant that I finally had to force myself to watch the TMNT/Power Rangers crossover. It was far, far worse than I ever could have imagined. It felt like the kid from Axe Cop wrote it, but during a sick day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So a mysterious stranger is hosting a Turtle Weekend stream, showing off TMNT material every night starting at 9 PM eastern. Old cartoons, old movies, strange animes, commercials, and more. Check it out if you're so inclined.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Hakkesshu posted:

No, I think there are rights issues between them. I remember reading somewhere that Alopex is meant to be Ninjara with the serial numbers filed off.

So there's pretty much no chance Null will show up? If so that's a real shame, he was a fun character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So tonight is the last night of Turtle Weekend, tune in in about an hour if you are interested. We're going to be watching that 2007 CG movie no one saw.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm a big fan of this new CG cartoon.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^Is it up on any streaming site(s)? I've been meaning to give it a look.

\/\/ I don't.

XIII fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 8, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

XIII posted:

^Is it up on any streaming site(s)? I've been meaning to give it a look.

You can watch at least some of them on the official nicktoons site if you do some malarky where you prove you have cable.

http://www.nick.com/ninja-turtles/episodes/

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So. Mondo Gecko is a thing now.

Can't say I saw that coming.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Loving the whole Hob story. Its such a great series.

Im pretty sure they mentioned Mondo Gecko in the letters page. I always thought they would have Woody become Mondo.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Gotta say, Slash's Flowers For Algernon bit makes for some awesome dialogue, and I love how hard Donatello has to try to convince everyone that a floating sphere of death (that better have a giant eyeball on top) is a bigger deal than continuing to pick fights with ninjas.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I loved the new issue. Old Hob owns.

Sidequestion - I heard that Ghostbusters are teaming with the Turtles soon for a crossover event. Do any of you know if that means the Ghostbusters will continue on after? After loving the IDW turtles I stumbled into the Ghostbusters and blew through the trades only to find out it was the last of the GBs (at least according to a couple several month old news articles).

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the crossover.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rumor is it will continue as a series of mini-series.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Gavok posted:

So. Mondo Gecko is a thing now.

Can't say I saw that coming.

My favorite toy! Come to life! Jesus Christ!

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Holy poo poo I am loving Donatello right now. Turtles in Time #4 and ongoing 39 really have me excited for the 'Drome.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Rumor is it will continue as a series of mini-series.

IDW's ongoing book sales have been spotty, I think almost everything is reverting to series of minis from here out. TMNT, Transformers and MLP are the only holdouts.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Seeing someone who suffered a severe stroke rage out and drink massive amounts of coffee makes me really uncomfortable, magic healing or no.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

So I picked up the new HC of Soul's Winter. Wow. Total hack job on the color. I could barely make it through the book. Really bummed because I have been wanting to check it out for a while.

Seriously? Just throw splotches of color over the black and white image?

Muddy up the image and ruin the intricate line work that made the original interesting?

I thought the story was pretty meh, so all the more important to focus on the art.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I recently got into the IDW comics and got caught up with them. They're pretty good! Old Hob might be the best mutant.

I am considering reading the Mirage or Archie comics now.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Liam Acerbus posted:

I recently got into the IDW comics and got caught up with them. They're pretty good! Old Hob might be the best mutant.

I am considering reading the Mirage or Archie comics now.

Hob is an awesome addition to the universe. I seriously can not stop singing the praises of the IDW book. The only weak arc was the Neutrino War, and that's only because I loving hate the Neutrinos. Even as a little kid I thought they were awful. In my mind, I just replace those issues with the original Triceraton arc and everything works out exactly the same.

Read Mirage first, but use this timeline that I linked to almost a year ago (and should be in the OP, Rhyno!) to really make heads or tails of it. If you trim all the fat, it comes out to 60-something issues of pure awesome.

In other news, TMNT/Ghostbusters continues to chug along. And how 'bout that deal Donny made in 41?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Hob is an awesome addition to the universe. I seriously can not stop singing the praises of the IDW book. The only weak arc was the Neutrino War, and that's only because I loving hate the Neutrinos. Even as a little kid I thought they were awful. In my mind, I just replace those issues with the original Triceraton arc and everything works out exactly the same.

The cartoon neutrinos were awful but they have very little in common with the ones in the comic. Don't hate on 'em.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I wasn't self-aware during the Neutrinos stuff in the original cartoon, but I too grew to hate them a bit after their IDW arc, it was the weakest part of this comic.

Every month i'm amazed at Mikey's ongoing campaign to be the best turtle while Donnie does his darnest to be the worst. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Lurdiak posted:

The cartoon neutrinos were awful but they have very little in common with the ones in the comic. Don't hate on 'em.

Okay. I reread the issues they appear in today. Chet is revealed as Fugitoid, Karai wants to make more mutants, and Mikey has a crush on the Neutrino princess. So, two things that kind of matter, but nothing that really made the issues worth reading twice, except maybe the arcade game reference in the panel where the princess kisses Mikey on the cheek.

Sorry, man. I tried. I still hate the Neutrinos.

• Locked thread