Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Inkspot posted:

I would do it. I mean, I watched the first five episodes on a whim not two weeks ago. But there's no way I could make it through the other 21 episodes without help.

You, me, a bottle of Kraken and like 6 episodes about Chinese Vampires. Let's roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I wanna do the 90s cartoon where they have secondary mutations and fight a different alien overlord who has better PR than thay do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

I wanna do the 90s cartoon where they have secondary mutations and fight a different alien overlord who has better PR than thay do.

DO IT.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Red Sky episodes. I've only seen the few that were put on the first season DVD for some reason.

There was a new guy who was also a mutant and the main alien looked like the bad guy from Mighty Ducks. Michelangelo had a grappling hook instead of nunchaku. And, … uh, ...

Everything else must be repressed.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Huh. I just looked that up and it's actually at the tail end of the '87 series. It felt like a completely different series, art style and everything.

http://turtlepedia.wikia.com/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(1987_TV_series)

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
So thoughts on IDW's Northampton arc?

I didnt care much for it. Love the black tape on the tutles though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veg posted:

We sold out of a bunch of the issues so I'm an arc behind. I really need to sit down and re read the whole series.

The Moon
Jun 8, 2006
In Space
What are your opinions on the 90's Classic Movie Turtles figures that coming out soon?

http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=20&itemid=22008

I was super excited when I heard about them, but man does Donatello's face look silly. That and his mask seems to be too light compared to how it was in the movies.

Either way I still think I want them to guard my desk at work. :D

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of pissed that they did those instead of Splinter, Shredder, April and Casey.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Moon posted:

What are your opinions on the 90's Classic Movie Turtles figures that coming out soon?

I was super excited when I heard about them, but man does Donatello's face look silly. That and his mask seems to be too light compared to how it was in the movies.

Seems like they got Leo's right. It's just creepy enough like in the original films. And holy crap they modeled the individual chains on Mikey's nunchuks.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Veg posted:

Considering how much time the Turtles have traditionally spent in Northampton, I was expecting the next year's worth of stories to be mystical stuff in the woods, so it felt really rushed.

Koya's got a cool design, and the splash with the motorcycle was awesome, but the stuff with April's dad isn't near as interesting as the stuff with Casey's.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Inkspot posted:

Koya's got a cool design, and the splash with the motorcycle was awesome, but the stuff with April's dad isn't near as interesting as the stuff with Casey's.

It will be once he starts living in the sewers and talking to rats.

...I have no basis for this theory.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Based on the Nick cartoon, I expect him to become Wingnut. I really hope I'm wrong.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

The Moon posted:

They look pretty good. Here is a leaked image of the new Micheal Bay TMNT movie figures: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/03/new_teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_movie_toys_pics_f.php

Jace Madan fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 15, 2014

davmo1
Jan 2, 2014
J4G Crybaby :frogout:
Holy crap just found this thread. Those pics look awesome. I'm not watching the original series and loving it. I'm now imagining a TMNT comic in the Frank Miller style...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

davmo1 posted:

Holy crap just found this thread. Those pics look awesome. I'm not watching the original series and loving it. I'm now imagining a TMNT comic in the Frank Miller style...

You mean with multiple tit and rear end shots of April who's been downgraded from "reporter" to "whore"?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

davmo1 posted:

I'm now imagining a TMNT comic in the Frank Miller style...

Read the Zulli books from the first Mirage run, or Bodycount, or, if you're feeling particularly self-destructive, the third volume from Image.

There's always going to be a contingency of fans that want a return to these gritty turtles that just don't exist. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but that's not really what they're about, and when they're written that way, it's usually to their detriment.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I was honestly surprised how well the new Nickelodeon series is. Yeah the animation can look a little weird in areas, but other than that it was solid all the way through season one and the 14 episodes of season 2.

I am just unsure if I like Casey Jones, he doesn't seem as imposing as his previous incarnations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Think of it as Casey Jones: Year One. He's just starting up, figuring out the whole vigilante thing before striking goongala into the hearts of his enemies.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Think of it as Casey Jones: Year One. He's just starting up, figuring out the whole vigilante thing before striking goongala into the hearts of his enemies.

But Casey Jones is just wolverine without the claws and uses hockey sticks instead.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Taint Reaper posted:

But Casey Jones is just wolverine without the claws and uses hockey sticks instead.

No, Raphael is Wolverine. Casey is more like Sports Punisher.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I always compared the turtles to different aspects of Batman, like that one Brave and the Bold episode where he's split into different parts. Michelangelo's the Batman who eats nachos.

I'm totally gonna refer to Casey Jones as Sports Punisher from now on.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Action Tortoise posted:

I always compared the turtles to different aspects of Batman, like that one Brave and the Bold episode where he's split into different parts. Michelangelo's the Batman who eats nachos.

Michelangelo's the Batman who makes sure that everything he uses is either bat-shaped or has his logo on it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gavok posted:

Michelangelo's the Batman who makes sure that everything he uses is either bat-shaped or has his logo on it.

So, Batman '66 then?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
IDW's Utrom Empire finished up today. Thoughts?

I loved the last page of issue 3. Really ominous.

While it wasnt as good as Secret History of the Foot Clan, it was still a great read (if a little hard to differentiate the Utroms!) and I love how the whole series ties in to one really well told story.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Inkspot posted:

The only thing less subtle would be if they had a girl with a giant 5 on her shirt.

I know I'm digging up a quote from way back, but it occurred to me, if you count Roman Numerals then uh...yeah, that's exactly what they did.

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 20, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Agent_grey posted:

I know I'm digging up a quote from way back, but it occurred to me, if you count Roman Numerals then uh...yeah, that's exactly what they did.

I'm going to be mad as hell if that thing shows up in the new TV series. Like wall destroying mad.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm going to be mad as hell if that thing shows up in the new TV series. Like wall destroying mad.

As long as Laird has any control over the franchise, she'll never show up in anything but documentary retrospectives.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

I was talking about April, actually. She's had a big 5 on her shirt from day one of the 2013 series.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inkspot posted:

I was talking about April, actually. She's had a big 5 on her shirt from day one of the 2013 series.

She usually had a 6 on her in some form in previous installments. I Don't know if the 6 meant anything specific or symbolized something outside of the name of the news station.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She has? All I can remember is the "April O'Neil, Channel 9-- Channel 6 News." joke from the 2K3 show.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inkspot posted:

She has? All I can remember is the "April O'Neil, Channel 9-- Channel 6 News." joke from the 2K3 show.

1987 series she had her reporter ID with the number on it.

The action figures and toys had something similar, and it was especially present on the News Van vehicle from the toy line.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If she works for Channel 6 News, 6 is going to come up.

In TNM, Venus is "Turtle Five", so the V makes sense. In 2K13, April is "the Fifth Turtle", with a big five and corresponding color scheme.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Inkspot posted:

If she works for Channel 6 News, 6 is going to come up.

In TNM, Venus is "Turtle Five", so the V makes sense. In 2K13, April is "the Fifth Turtle", with a big five and corresponding color scheme.

I dunno if I'd count April as the fifth turtle since we already have Slash. :v:

But she's already a Teenage Mutant Ninja in the 2013 series so I guess 3 outta 4 ain't bad.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.
Here's a cool website I found, they restored the original Leonardo movie suit: http://www.tomspinadesigns.com/restoration-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie-costume.html

Man, even today the suits still look great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Taint Reaper posted:

1987 series she had her reporter ID with the number on it.

The action figures and toys had something similar, and it was especially present on the News Van vehicle from the toy line.

I just checked a whole bunch of footage from the 87 cartoon and the old action figures and I never saw a number on her anywhere. The news van and her assistant's TV camera often had a 6 on them but they were always station idents. The action figure of her boss also has a 6 on his shirt.

Weirdly enough almost all the fan art and cosplay based on the 87 April all have a 6 on them somewhere so it seems like almost everyone remembers her having a 6 on her even though I can't find any evidence of it. :shrug:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just checked a whole bunch of footage from the 87 cartoon and the old action figures and I never saw a number on her anywhere. The news van and her assistant's TV camera often had a 6 on them but they were always station idents. The action figure of her boss also has a 6 on his shirt.

Weirdly enough almost all the fan art and cosplay based on the 87 April all have a 6 on them somewhere so it seems like almost everyone remembers her having a 6 on her even though I can't find any evidence of it. :shrug:

I'm almost certain that the 87 action figure had a six on it. I'll have to check mine. The line had running changes before with certain figures so it's entirely possible that it had a six.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Finally read Utrom Empire and the Conspiracy tie-in.

Veg posted:

IDW's Utrom Empire finished up today. Thoughts?

I loved the last page of issue 3. Really ominous.

While it wasnt as good as Secret History of the Foot Clan, it was still a great read (if a little hard to differentiate the Utroms!) and I love how the whole series ties in to one really well told story.

They mentioned Zog!

I'm kinda ready for something else for a change, but whatever. People like ninjas.

Including all the tie-ins, there's about 60 issues well before they've hit the 3-year mark. That's a pretty solid release schedule and every issue has at least one thing in it that makes it worth a look. It just needs more supernatural/monster stories. The gang and space wars they've got down.

Turtles In Time looks neat.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRipBOQl95o A trailer for the new movie.

Other than the hokey destiny, create heroes blah blah blah that seems to be a requirement for movies these days, seems like it might be good. I liked the mask gag.

In other news the IDW comic continues to be pretty awesome as a 'Ultimate' version of the TMNT. For those inclined the actual Ultimate collections (i.e. the old mirage books) are really good and well worth buying. I have the first three at the moment and have just finished the second. Definitely plan on getting four and five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm just going to ignore the TMNT movie like I've been doing for every Transformers movie. If it turns out that it's good (yeah right), I can always watch it years down the line.

• Locked thread