Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

sporklift posted:

Edit: What is the best way to fill in the gaps in the Ultimate Collections. I see the Classics but those seem pretty skimpy, three issues. Really?

I'm don't think they've ever been collected in larger volumes. In the early 90s, Mirage put out black and white TPB collections, but they were largely grouped in the same way (and even those editions only cover gap issues up to #30). I prefer them to the new collections, as I like the classic black and white art much more than the recent colorized versions. It APPEARS that you may actually be able to order some of them from Mirage, but it's hard to tell how reliable their website is these days.

TMNT Collected Book Volume Two
First Printing: May, 1990

Collects issues #12-14.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird and Michael Dooney

TMNT Collected Book Volume Three
First Printing: June, 1990

Collects issues #15, #17 and #18.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Eric Talbot and Mark Bodé

TMNT Collected Book Volume Four
First Printing: October, 1990

Collects issues #19-21.

By Kevin Eastman, Peter Laird, Jim Lawson and Eric Talbot

TMNT Collected Book Volume Five
First Printing: November, 1990

Collects issues #16, #22 and #23.

By Mark Martin

TMNT Collected Book Volume Six
First Printing: July, 1991

Collects issues #24-26.

By Rick Veitch

TMNT Collected Book Volume Seven
First Printing: November, 1991

Collects issues #27-29.

By Michael Dooney, Steve Murphy, Jim Lawson and A.C. Farley

The Zulli books were collected for the first time in 2007.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
The turtles themselves are really nice, but there are quite a few stinkers in the extended line. The new Casey Jones is pretty badass, though.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Oh, and the seven pack of mousers is a MUST HAVE.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I'd say the four main turtles, Metalhead, the mousers, the second edition Shredder (with the cape and removable mask) and Casey Jones are the main figures worth considering. There's a rapid drop off in quality after that.

Not saying buy all of those, just that those are the ones that stand out.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
I actually came away feeling cautiously optimistic. The faces will take some getting used to, but overall I was pretty happy with what was in the trailer.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
From former TMNT artist/writer Mark Martin:

Mark Martin posted:

Michael Bay Turtle doodled from memory while on hold for AAA

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Good news, everyone! The long wait for a toy featuring an adolescent Raphael in loose-fitting jockey shorts is finally over!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

Venus will never appear in any medium ever again.

E: Forgot to say that I'm not a huge fan of how cutesy the turtles have been drawn for a while. I kinda feel like they're trying to match the design of the new cartoon, but it's just kinda weird for a comic that occasionally has blood splattering deaths.

The Northampton arc, I'm guessing? Ross Campbell REEEEEEEEEALLY has a thing for cutesy turtles. His TMNT fan-comic gives you a sense of just how much he's being forced to tone it down by IDW.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

Speaking of weird visual changes, why did they retcon Casey into wearing a normal boring Hockey mask anyway?

Not sure what you mean. Casey has almost always worn a normal/old school hockey mask.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Lurdiak posted:

The only rights issue I'm aware of was when Peter Laird forced the dozens of guest contributors to the original Mirage series to sign retroactive work-for-hire contracts so that they wouldn't get any royalties if their characters were used again, and some of them refused, causing him to declare all their stories non-canon. As far as I know, that legal situation hasn't changed, so we're unlikely to see Bloodsucker or any other creator owned characters from early Mirage pop up in anything but reprints.

I'd always heard it was Gary Richardson (Mirage's CEO), not Laird - though Laird has generally defended Richardson's actions in vague and non-committal ways in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
He was supposed to sound like Clint Eastwood (specifically, Dirty Harry), but now that you mention it, he DOES sound a lot like Reagan.

• Locked thread