Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I was about to start a thread for this myself, especially after reading that last issue. So good.

In fact, the IDW comic has been a particularly solid version, especially considering they've put out close to 50 issues in 3 years or so. I dare say, what with the reincarnation angle, that it's slowly becoming my favorite version. Such a unique take, and yet it feels so totally "right". The only weak part is the war with the Neutrinos, and even that's not bad, just not as good as everything else.

Little Mac posted:

I think everything about the current series is great, even if a lot of the time everyone else is way more interesting than the Turtles themselves (Casey Jones' dad, for instance).

They've always been kind of reactionary characters, though. I just reread the entirety of Mirage Volume 1, and it's surprising how many adventures happen because they stumble upon some wizard or superhero or accidentally travel through time or whatever. They're worse than Inspector Clouseau.

NotAnArtist posted:

Was metalhead just an AI or did he have an actual brain? It's been so long since I've read about him and searching said info outside of the thread just seems antisocial.

He's always a robot.

Hakkesshu posted:

The Archie comics had that lady fox samurai character become part of the team for a while and I really liked her at the time.

Ninjara. The new comic looks to be doing something very similar with Alopex.

Also, count me among the jerks, because Donatello is where it's at. But, for what it's worth, I was into Raph until I realized they'd probably still be living in a cold, dark sewer if not for the guy that craps out inter-dimensional portals every other Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
For all of its flaws, that movie did a lot of stuff really well The Raph/Leo fight, Don doing tech support, April's Bruce Lee suit, and a really strong (if somewhat superfluous) Casey Jones. I remember the Mikey voice being particularly great.

Patrick Stewart was fun, too. He just got sidelined by whatever his plan was. Resurrect his friends and then, … something? Trying to fulfill some prophecy so he could finally die, I think? At any rate, it involved a collecting monsters montage. Like all great plans.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'd still put it a step below the original movie. Even if it's a little dated, Elias Koteas was a badass, Judith Hoag was a great April, and the score was awesome in an early 90's synthesizer-heavy kind of way. Plus it condensed the first real chunk of comics while channeling the more defined personalities from the Fred Wolf cartoon and stayed true to both.

In a lot of ways, it's also the origin of the idea that Raph and Leo don't always get along all that well that led to its inevitable conclusion with the rooftop fight in the 2007 movie. The early Mirage Turtles were mostly interchangeable personality-wise.

Of course, none of that occurred to me until I'd watched both of them more than any one person should.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Action Tortoise posted:

The nunchuk scene is Mikey's moment in that film. I still think it's dumb to chuck a sai at a streetlight. Ninjas did have throwing stars for that kind of stuff.

In the first issue, Raph throws a sai with a note attached to it into Oroku Saki's office, so he's done worse, and they definitely weren't going to spend half an hour on some tangential plot with Baxter Stockman just to get April into the story. But yeah, that is silly. If they were able to scrounge up traditional weapons, they should've been able to get at least a handful of knives or stars each.

Cool video.

Rhyno posted:

Paige Turco is the superior April O'neil and always will be.

She was good, but we didn't get to see her with Casey. Keno was not a good substitute.

Hakkesshu posted:

What a weird-rear end franchise. I really want to know what it took to get that film made.

Merchandise.

Every version of TMNT is different, but they're all incredibly weird, and most are worth watching just to see what nonsense can be attached to the inherent nonsense of the concept. I couldn't make it through the season where they traveled through the internet to collect pieces of Splinter's data. I assume they managed to find all of them and everything was fine and then they had pizza.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are you implying that you can't flood an office building using the sprinkler system? Blasphemy!

I had that DVD. It's the first time I'd ever heard of the "Red Sky" TMNT. It looked terrible.

Rhyno posted:

I'm watching TMNT3.

Please Lord have mercy on my soul.

Your bravery inspired me to rewatch The Next Mutation. I don't know why, but I'm determined to prove that it's just as valid as any other iteration, even if it has a fifth turtle with Deus Ex Shinobi Magic ™. So far, she single-handedly defeated The Shredder by "bringing Oroku Saki's consciousness back through a sea of hate called The Shredder". And then Leonardo turned to the Foot soldiers, told them they were disbanded, and everyone just walks away. CASE CLOSED.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Following this timeline, I read most of the in-continuity Mirage stuff through their first volume. Couldn't ever find a copy of that Tales v2 issue with Zog during the Return to New York story. I think it all came out to around 65 issues, including some of the guest era stuff like The River. Plus, I went back and read Zulli's three issues. They're simultaneously the most and least new reader-friendly TMNT has ever been.

And the panel of Donatello he has as the header image is perfect.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The IDW comic still has a few big characters to introduce, but it's done a good job of pulling ideas from all over and streamlining them to work together in the same continuity. In a lot of ways, it even follows the arcs of the original comic, starting with gang fights, then introducing ninjas, then having a war in space, then going back to more ninjas and gangs. This time with mutants.

If the IDW stories set in Northampton are anything like the original Mirage stories were, there's going to be a lot of mystical portals and supernatural antics over the next few months.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
They're not my turtles, but the show is not without its merits.

I watched the first five episodes of The Next Mutation and took notes, but when I took out all the ones that were just me reacting to what was onscreen, there wasn't much left. The show has a ridiculous amount of sound effects, a lot of offensively generic Asian mysticism, and Venus' presence necessitates an origin story where the four turtles aren't actually blood relatives so they can awkwardly and unsuccessfully hit on her.

The story thus far is pretty simple. Splinter falls into a magic coma. An old man from "Somewhere In China" sends his student, a mutant turtle, to help him. In order to teach the turtles to "dreamwalk" so they can save Splinter, the new turtle single-handedly defeats the Shredder and the turtles disband the Foot in order to rid them of their past attachments. They fight the Dragon Lord in meditation world, save Splinter, and come back to their bodies, but also bring Dragon Lord to New York City. Now there's a girl turtle living with them named Venus de Milo, Shredder and The Foot are gone, and their new enemy is an evil mystic dragon with a dragon version of that little rat guy that hung out with Jabba the Hutt.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The only thing less subtle would be if they had a girl with a giant 5 on her shirt.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Issue 31 came out.

Leonardo is spiritually broken, but healing. April and Casey are feeling the weight of all of their secrets. Raph and Alopex are pushing whatever their thing is a little further. Not much here is really new to the cannon, but how everyone got to where they are is for different reasons than previous versions, and not knowing how those little twists will affect the natural progression of the story is what makes the book work.

Plus there's an awesome bird mutant.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 28, 2014

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I would do it. I mean, I watched the first five episodes on a whim not two weeks ago. But there's no way I could make it through the other 21 episodes without help.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Red Sky episodes. I've only seen the few that were put on the first season DVD for some reason.

There was a new guy who was also a mutant and the main alien looked like the bad guy from Mighty Ducks. Michelangelo had a grappling hook instead of nunchaku. And, … uh, ...

Everything else must be repressed.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Veg posted:

So thoughts on IDW's Northampton arc?

I didnt care much for it. Love the black tape on the tutles though.

Considering how much time the Turtles have traditionally spent in Northampton, I was expecting the next year's worth of stories to be mystical stuff in the woods, so it felt really rushed.

Koya's got a cool design, and the splash with the motorcycle was awesome, but the stuff with April's dad isn't near as interesting as the stuff with Casey's.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Based on the Nick cartoon, I expect him to become Wingnut. I really hope I'm wrong.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

davmo1 posted:

I'm now imagining a TMNT comic in the Frank Miller style...

Read the Zulli books from the first Mirage run, or Bodycount, or, if you're feeling particularly self-destructive, the third volume from Image.

There's always going to be a contingency of fans that want a return to these gritty turtles that just don't exist. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but that's not really what they're about, and when they're written that way, it's usually to their detriment.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

I was talking about April, actually. She's had a big 5 on her shirt from day one of the 2013 series.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
She has? All I can remember is the "April O'Neil, Channel 9-- Channel 6 News." joke from the 2K3 show.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If she works for Channel 6 News, 6 is going to come up.

In TNM, Venus is "Turtle Five", so the V makes sense. In 2K13, April is "the Fifth Turtle", with a big five and corresponding color scheme.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Finally read Utrom Empire and the Conspiracy tie-in.

Veg posted:

IDW's Utrom Empire finished up today. Thoughts?

I loved the last page of issue 3. Really ominous.

While it wasnt as good as Secret History of the Foot Clan, it was still a great read (if a little hard to differentiate the Utroms!) and I love how the whole series ties in to one really well told story.

They mentioned Zog!

I'm kinda ready for something else for a change, but whatever. People like ninjas.

Including all the tie-ins, there's about 60 issues well before they've hit the 3-year mark. That's a pretty solid release schedule and every issue has at least one thing in it that makes it worth a look. It just needs more supernatural/monster stories. The gang and space wars they've got down.

Turtles In Time looks neat.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Turtles In Time coming out before the annual where the Turtles actually meet Renet is brilliantly meta.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
So, ... Rat King. He sure did fill an issue. And he might be related to Kitsune?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Truth. The Rat King is so wildly different from series to series, and I was not expecting some kind of vampiric, inter-dimensional Pied Piper, but with him and Renet showing up, I'm even more excited for them to get back out to Northampton and go crazy with the mystical stuff before bringing in Triceratons and more of the sci-fi elements.

There's so much TMNT history to pull from, with so few missteps so far, I'm curious to see what IDW would do with things like Venus or secondary mutations. See if they can salvage some of the ideas that are universally detested and make them work.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The micro-series all pay off in some way or another, even if many of them seem totally superfluous at first, and should be slotted between the numbered issues of the ongoing. The timeline up on TMNT Entity looks to be pretty solid.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
He has skull paint AND a hockey mask in the Nick show. Pretty sure he's been mask-only in the comics, though.

Campbell's art is great, but the cutesy expressions and bandages do get a bit tiring. I miss Andy Kuhn.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Gotta say, Slash's Flowers For Algernon bit makes for some awesome dialogue, and I love how hard Donatello has to try to convince everyone that a floating sphere of death (that better have a giant eyeball on top) is a bigger deal than continuing to pick fights with ninjas.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Rumor is it will continue as a series of mini-series.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Liam Acerbus posted:

I recently got into the IDW comics and got caught up with them. They're pretty good! Old Hob might be the best mutant.

I am considering reading the Mirage or Archie comics now.

Hob is an awesome addition to the universe. I seriously can not stop singing the praises of the IDW book. The only weak arc was the Neutrino War, and that's only because I loving hate the Neutrinos. Even as a little kid I thought they were awful. In my mind, I just replace those issues with the original Triceraton arc and everything works out exactly the same.

Read Mirage first, but use this timeline that I linked to almost a year ago (and should be in the OP, Rhyno!) to really make heads or tails of it. If you trim all the fat, it comes out to 60-something issues of pure awesome.

In other news, TMNT/Ghostbusters continues to chug along. And how 'bout that deal Donny made in 41?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Lurdiak posted:

The cartoon neutrinos were awful but they have very little in common with the ones in the comic. Don't hate on 'em.

Okay. I reread the issues they appear in today. Chet is revealed as Fugitoid, Karai wants to make more mutants, and Mikey has a crush on the Neutrino princess. So, two things that kind of matter, but nothing that really made the issues worth reading twice, except maybe the arcade game reference in the panel where the princess kisses Mikey on the cheek.

Sorry, man. I tried. I still hate the Neutrinos.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Liam Acerbus posted:

I found the TMNT Entity timeline really helpful.

Glad to be of service.

Veg posted:

The Neutrino arc was pretty cool :colbert:

Turtles in Time and Secret History are my favourites. Eric Burnham writes the villains so drat good, even if his Turtles are a little generic.

Eh. My preferences regarding the TMNT, and comics in general, skew more towards street-level vigilantes. When it comes to Northampton, set them up against as many mystical and psychedelic threats as you can, but when they're in the city, keep that poo poo to mutants and ninjas and gangs. I know there's an intrinsically extradimensional quality to their origins, and their adventures, but it's like when the X-Men go into space. Sure, they function out there, but it doesn't necessarily mean they belong.

Inkspot fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 1, 2015

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Holy poo poo. Are they actually pulling things from Image now? That's crazy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Mutanimals! Mutanimals everywhere!

Ray and... Ninjara, maybe? Guessing she's an original character.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Amell can be the big, lovable dummy with a violent streak that Casey Jones is meant to be. Bonus points if they get Elias Koteas to play his dad.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Rhyno posted:

Let's not get our expectations up this soon, this isn't the Flash thread.

God, I wish. We have good TMNT comics. We have good TMNT cartoons. Why can't we have good TMNT movies?

e: Besides the first one (and some bits from the others), I mean.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I can't imagine Stockman's going to last unscathed for too much longer. What are the odds that the same tech they're using to save Donatello get him stuck in the body of one of his flyborgs?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Why not just advance ALL OF THE PLOTS at once? 50 is gonna be crazy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
It's me, isn't it? I'm the Dark_Tzitzimine of TMNT.

Sigh.

Casey and April #1 was kind of whatever. I don't care much about any of this Pantheon business, but it looks like that's where the series as a whole is headed, so strap in, I guess.

TMNT #47 finally sees Hun defeated (for now) and the flyborgs/mousers released. That's about it. And, I only just realized that Santolouco's covers for 45-50 make a big poster because I am a dummy.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
If this turns out to be a clusterfuck, at least it's going to be a glorious one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
What the gently caress, Splinter. I know Fast Forward was lovely but come on.

• Locked thread