Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are loving awesome.

Originally published in 1984 as a parody of the work Frank Miller was doing on Daredevil, they soon outgrew their parody roots and grew in popularity. A cartoon, toy line, feature films, video games, there wasn’t any medium they didn’t conquer.
The Turtles have survived numerous revamps, relaunches, ownership changes, squabbles between the original creators, there’s nothing the Turtles can’t overcome. They’ve firmly entrenched themselves into our popular culture.

And they rule.

I loving love the TMNT. Like most, my first exposure was the original animated series and Playmates toyline. Unlike anything else they just make this impression that sticks with you.

Recently Nickelodeon purchased the rights to the TMNT and launched an all new animated series and licensed the comics to IDW. The new comics are staying true to the originals but are following their own path with some great new twists and concepts behind the team.

IDW is also publishing collections of the original books in gorgeous oversized hardcovers. I believe there are also plans to collect all the comics in chronological softcovers.

Next year will also see the release of their big screen revamp which will undoubtedly bring them new levels of attention what with Michael Bay attached as producer.

Everybody’s got their favorite turtle and unless you’re a jerk your favorite is Raphael.

And now, some pretty pictures

Who’s your favorite Turtle? Villain? How did you come to love them? What’s your favorite incarnation of the property? At the very least, post your favorite Turlte art, toy or memory in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only time Donatello came in handy was during the original NES game. You jumped up on the crates and used his staff to pummel the bad guy from above.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cabbit posted:

The current incarnation is pretty fun. It's hitting the sweet-spot between nostalgia, bad-rear end, and goofy. For example, here's some panels from the Bebop and Rocksteady issue of the Villains micro-series, via 4th Letter:

drat it, we sold out of that one and I never got it back in. That looks amazing, I love that look for Rocksteady.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today. How the gently caress did I forget about those Trek Turtles?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

This thread does not have the same policy where talking about the female turtle is not allowed?

Ask Waterhaul I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I started watching the original films the other night which is what really prompted this thread. TMNT1 and 2 are so incredibly dated, more so than the original cartoon series. I skipped 3 and jumped right to the animated TMNT film which I absolutely loved when I first watched it. I'm very happy to say that it's every bit as enjoyable as when I first saw it. I haven't really dipped into the new cartoon series, it looks similar, the consensus on it is pretty good yes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Metalhead rules and might actually be the best Turtle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

I was talking about this

That makes me want to put up signs all around his neighborhood advertising the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

For all of its flaws, that movie did a lot of stuff really well The Raph/Leo fight, Don doing tech support, April's Bruce Lee suit, and a really strong (if somewhat superfluous) Casey Jones. I remember the Mikey voice being particularly great.

Patrick Stewart was fun, too. He just got sidelined by whatever his plan was. Resurrect his friends and then, … something? Trying to fulfill some prophecy so he could finally die, I think? At any rate, it involved a collecting monsters montage. Like all great plans.

The animated film is hands down my favorite TMNT incarnation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

I'd still put it a step below the original movie. Even if it's a little dated, Elias Koteas was a badass, Judith Hoag was a great April, and the score was awesome in an early 90's synthesizer-heavy kind of way. Plus it condensed the first real chunk of comics while channeling the more defined personalities from the Fred Wolf cartoon and stayed true to both.

In a lot of ways, it's also the origin of the idea that Raph and Leo don't always get along all that well that led to its inevitable conclusion with the rooftop fight in the 2007 movie. The early Mirage Turtles were mostly interchangeable personality-wise.

Of course, none of that occurred to me until I'd watched both of them more than any one person should.

Paige Turco is the superior April O'neil and always will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm watching TMNT3.

Please Lord have mercy on my soul.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh god, it was so horrible!

I now hate the Turtles and am closing the thread!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last year at C2E2 I saw a mockup of volume 1 of the "TMNT The IDW Collection Vol.1." Essentially the same as the Transformers HC collections collecting the stories on chronological order. I just spent a few minutes and I can't find even a single mention of them.
I'm a little annoyed because I figured they'd have released at least the first volume by now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the first two episodes of the new series and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously it's aimed at kids but it's not dumbed down garbage like so many other shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really like that each of them has a unique model what with Don being taller and thinner and Mike being smaller than the others. I offered to babysit my buddy's kid who loves the show so I have an excuse to sit and watch the series all day.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

It's not the 2003 series, but it's not bad.

CONFESSION TIME:

I've only seen about a dozen episodes of the '03 series. Is the entire series on dvd or streaming somewhere?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I can't believe the "new" ninja turtles cartoon is already 11 years old. :corsair:

We're all getting old man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swung by Target intending on snagging a few of the new TMNT figues but the didn't look all that impressive in person. I guess I'll be happy with the Classics I bought over the summer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

The turtles themselves are really nice, but there are quite a few stinkers in the extended line. The new Casey Jones is pretty badass, though.

I just found out I was looking at the Battle Shell line. I'll have to look for the others.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

Oh, and the seven pack of mousers is a MUST HAVE.

I saw those as well. I don't want to go crazy, just a few things to line the shelves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

funtax posted:

I'd say the four main turtles, Metalhead, the mousers, the second edition Shredder (with the cape and removable mask) and Casey Jones are the main figures worth considering. There's a rapid drop off in quality after that.

Not saying buy all of those, just that those are the ones that stand out.

I think it's just gonna be the four Turtles for now. I've got a pile of other stuff to snatch up first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

The core turtles are pretty awesome. Bought Raphael on a whim and had to have the rest. All can be had for under ten bucks and they put every other figure on my shelf to shame. Sturdy, poseable and they look sweet. Wish these were around when I was a kid.

Do you have any of the TMNT Classics? They are incredible figures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sporklift posted:

I do not. I don't think I am allowed anymore Turtles in the house! The Bebop and Rocksteady look amazing.

I was lucky to grab those when they came into stock on TRU.com, they are pretty excellent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh my god, Lewis Black does a voice in the new TMNT? I love this show!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cartoon series news from TVIV. Contains :siren:spoilers:siren: for an upcoming episode:

They're doing a crossover with the 80s cartoon featuring the original voice actors

Oh my god.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I want to do write ups of every major incarnation of the franchise to put into the OP. Like the major beats of each iteration, the origin of the ooze, the turtles, Splinter etc. Trouble is I'm lazy. Anyone want to tag in and claim an era?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Action Tortoise posted:

I wanna do the 90s cartoon where they have secondary mutations and fight a different alien overlord who has better PR than thay do.

DO IT.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Veg posted:

So thoughts on IDW's Northampton arc?

I didnt care much for it. Love the black tape on the tutles though.

We sold out of a bunch of the issues so I'm an arc behind. I really need to sit down and re read the whole series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of pissed that they did those instead of Splinter, Shredder, April and Casey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat, I want those.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've never bought an RT figure before and I'm seeing prices all over the map, what can I expect to shell out (heh) for these?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Has there been any word on IDW publishing the new series in chronilogical order like the TF IDW Collection HCs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oh snap! Don't know how I missed it! You just made my day buddy!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solaris Knight posted:

I should have held out for that instead of getting the Comixology volume, shouldn't I?

Do you swear by printed HCs like I do?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Solaris Knight posted:

No, but that has chronological order, and I am a huge :spergin:

Ha! I have that problem too.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I swear I learn something new about Laird being kind of a jackass every few months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Rumor is it will continue as a series of mini-series.

IDW's ongoing book sales have been spotty, I think almost everything is reverting to series of minis from here out. TMNT, Transformers and MLP are the only holdouts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Holy poo poo. Are they actually pulling things from Image now? That's crazy.

Well, we still need the self aware exoskeleton to show up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Stephen Amell from Arrow just was cast as Casey Jones in Ninja Turtles: Half Shell (Yes that's the real title)

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/stephen-amell-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-casey-jones-1201459533/

This is awesome, he's going to crush this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inkspot posted:

Amell can be the big, lovable dummy with a violent streak that Casey Jones is meant to be. Bonus points if they get Elias Koteas to play his dad.

Let's not get our expectations up this soon, this isn't the Flash thread.

• Locked thread