Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Dr. Hurt posted:

Everyone knows the best turtle is Donatello. Raphael was too much of a hot head, Leonardo was boring, and Michelangelo was a lame stoner. Donatello may not be the strongest turtle, but he uses his strengths the best.

Also he was the best turtle to play in the arguably greatest turtle game, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time. Technodrome: Let's Kick Shell! My brother and I must have wasted hours on this game, first at Chucky Cheese and then on our SNES.

It led to one of my favorite mashup songs, "Got Yourself Sewer Surfin" by MasDaMind.

The thing I love about the current series is that the writers looked at the old cartoon and wondered, "Why would the ninja master and the alien warlord be teaming up? They should be at war with each other!" And that's what IDW's series is. A shitload of evil factions going to war with each other while the Turtles are stuck in the middle, trying to do the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

This thread does not have the same policy where talking about the female turtle is not allowed?

The #1 policy when it comes to all things TMNT is to never, under any circumstances, watch the banned Insane in the Membrane episode of the 4Kids cartoon. :stare:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fifth Turtle was originally going to be called Kirby and appear in the fourth live action film "TMNT 4: The Next Mutation" (so named because the original four Turtles and Splinter would undergo secondary mutations - Donnie would become a telepath, Raph was going to turn into a monstrous beast with fangs and claws, etc) but the third film was so god awful that it killed the movie franchise for 14 years until the 2007 CGI film came out.

The 'secondary mutation' idea would later be re-used in the cartoons and comics and the 5th Turtle idea would pop up in the 'TMNT The Next Mutation' live action TV show in she-who-must-not-be-named.

There's a great write up here about the unmade 4th film with lots and lots of concept art.

I love that Raph's chest plate has transformed into a demonic face as part of his secondary mutation. Great work guys! :thumbsup:

I honestly don't know which terrible never-made sequel I would have rather seen: TMNT4 or Batman Triumphant starring Howard Stern as Scarecrow. Maybe Triumphant because it was supposed to have Jack Nicholson show up during one of Batman's fear gas freakouts.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

BioTech posted:

Bought the first TPB on a whim last month. I liked the Turtles as a kid, watched the cartoon, played the games, etc. but it didn't leave an impression on me the way Transformers did.

Still, the new comic was pretty decent and I got the second trade just yesterday. I'll probably keep buying one a month or so if the quality holds up.

The series really kicks in once the Foot shows up. The main problem with the series is that they released Micro-Series issues that get their own trade and sometimes the reading order is pretty important. Here's a good reading order list I found, although Infestation 2 isn't at all important:

TMNT #1
TMNT #2
TMNT #3
TMNT #4

TMNT #5
Mirco-series #1: Raphael
Micro-series #2: Michelangelo
TMNT #6
Micro-series #3: Donatello
Infestation 2: TMNT #1
Infestation 2: TMNT #2
TMNT #7
TMNT #8

Micro-series #4: Leonardo
TMNT #9
TMNT #10
Micro-series #5: Splinter/TMNT #11
TMNT #12

Micro-series #6: Casey Jones
TMNT #13
TMNT #14
TMNT 2012 Annual
Micro-series #7: April O'Neil
TMNT #15
TMNT #16

Micro-series #8: Fugitoid
TMNT #17
TMNT #18
TMNT #19
TMNT #20
Villain Micro-series #1: Krang
Villain Micro-series #2: Baxter

Secret History of The Foot Clan #1
Secret History of The Foot Clan #2
Secret History of The Foot Clan #3
Secret History of The Foot Clan #4

TMNT #21
Villain Micro-series #4: Alopex
TMNT #22
Villain Micro-series #3: Old Hob/TMNT #23
TMNT #24
Villain Micro-series #5: Karai
TMNT #25
Villain Micro-series #6: Hun/TMNT #26
Villain Micro-series #7: Bebop and Rocksteady
TMNT #27
TMNT #28
Villain Micro-series #8: Shredder

TMNT #29
Utrom Empire #1
TMNT #30
Conspiracy: TMNT #1
TMNT #31
TMNT #32

Ones that share a line on that list are ones that take place roughly at the same time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

The animated film is hands down my favorite TMNT incarnation.

It's not even the best animated TMNT movie.

"WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THAT?! WHO DO YOU KEEP TALKING TO?! THERE’S NO ONE THERE!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Uh, if you mean the 80s cartoon turtles, they were goofy stereotypes from the get-go.

They still go a little too far into that direction to the point that instead of four characters, they're all just Michelangelo with different eye masks. That and the replacement voices are my only complaints about that movie.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Cartoon series news from TVIV. Contains :siren:spoilers:siren: for an upcoming episode:

They're doing a crossover with the 80s cartoon featuring the original voice actors

There are two things about Turtles Forever that didn't deliver.

1) The original voice actors.

2) 80's Casey Jones.

Now we're getting both, dirtbag.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Inkspot posted:

Koya's got a cool design, and the splash with the motorcycle was awesome, but the stuff with April's dad isn't near as interesting as the stuff with Casey's.

It will be once he starts living in the sewers and talking to rats.

...I have no basis for this theory.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Action Tortoise posted:

I always compared the turtles to different aspects of Batman, like that one Brave and the Bold episode where he's split into different parts. Michelangelo's the Batman who eats nachos.

Michelangelo's the Batman who makes sure that everything he uses is either bat-shaped or has his logo on it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I don't usually like Santolouco's art here, but those metalhead action scenes were loving radical!

Donatello was angry because he asked his mad scientist buddy for a megathread.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

For anyone with good knowledge on the Archie series, are there any characters who debuted in that who have anything to do with the IDW series? I was going to say Slash, but some research shows that he kind of showed up everywhere at once. He had his own action figure in the 1990 series, his debut in the Archie series was dated in August 1990 and his TV debut was September 1990.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I did an article on the vast history of Ninja Turtles crossovers and the research made me realize that I've been missing out by not reading Flaming Carrot Comics. The Carrot/Raphael team-up was so much fun.

It also meant that I finally had to force myself to watch the TMNT/Power Rangers crossover. It was far, far worse than I ever could have imagined. It felt like the kid from Axe Cop wrote it, but during a sick day.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So. Mondo Gecko is a thing now.

Can't say I saw that coming.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm more surprised Bebop and Rocksteady are actually competent enough to succeed in this continuity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

That's...not terrible? Or maybe Amell just has me under his spell.

I have a condition where whenever I hear, "This speech is my recital..." I immediately get more pumped about what I'm watching.

• Locked thread