Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Every single one of those toys you posted are exactly 167% more awesome than any toys being made today.

I dunno, I saw my nephew once removed playing with his TMNT toys during christmas, and that poo poo looks exactly like the ones from the 80s, only they're way more poseable and don't have really obvious seams where the plastic molds got stuck together. And the details aren't really obviously painted onto single-color plastic with sloppy splotches.

This poo poo is seriously beyond parody. No jokes about Ice Escapade Batman variants will ever be as funny or stupid as this actual factual toy of a ninja turtle as a loving farmer.

E: Also Mikey is the coolest because he knows how to enjoy life and is a sensitive artist and has a cat. He's the heart of the team. :colbert:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

So is there an actual reason the girl turtle is so reviled beyond typical gross nerd misogyny? Did she throw off the sacred "leading the team/cool but rude" and "does machines/party dude" balance?

The show she's from was amazingly bad and she was easily the worst character on it simply because of her lovely "I don't know what things are" bland personality. And I think all the dude turtles had a crush on her too, which is like the laziest cliche.

She's an easier emblem of the terrible decisions of the show than the other original characters, because they were just generic-looking sentai villains in bad costumes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

By the way, if you loved the original Mirage series, the Leonardo one-shot is a loving tribute to both those comics and Frank Miller's Daredevil. Leo vs So Many Ninjas looks gorgeous.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It's not even the best animated TMNT movie.

"WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THAT?! WHO DO YOU KEEP TALKING TO?! THERE’S NO ONE THERE!"

I really need to stop putting off watching that movie.

Speaking of the cartoons, some years back I found a DVD with a few season 1 episodes of the 80s cartoon and, as a bonus, some unaired episodes of the late 90s continuation where everyone had stupid-rear end secondary mutations and fought aliens.

Two notable things: that show hasn't aged well at all, considering that the early episodes were almost exactly as bad as the Lord Dregg poo poo, which I knew was garbage when it originally aired. And second, the DVD was packaged in a way that was clearly designed to trick parents and kids into thinking it was the at-the-time new Fox cartoon, complete with having lyrics from that show's theme song on the back in huge letters.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

GabrielAisling posted:

Turtles Forever is great. I love seeing the ways the different generations of turtles react to each other and their respective worlds, even if the old turtles were reduced to goofy stereotypes for comedy value.

Uh, if you mean the 80s cartoon turtles, they were goofy stereotypes from the get-go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

CONFESSION TIME:

I've only seen about a dozen episodes of the '03 series. Is the entire series on dvd or streaming somewhere?

I can't believe the "new" ninja turtles cartoon is already 11 years old. :corsair:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Man. A certain piece of news from a while back is even sadder now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I want to do write ups of every major incarnation of the franchise to put into the OP. Like the major beats of each iteration, the origin of the ooze, the turtles, Splinter etc. Trouble is I'm lazy. Anyone want to tag in and claim an era?

I'll do the live action show!

Oh wait, what I meant was that I'll never do that, no matter what you threaten me with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

But Casey Jones is just wolverine without the claws and uses hockey sticks instead.

No, Raphael is Wolverine. Casey is more like Sports Punisher.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm going to be mad as hell if that thing shows up in the new TV series. Like wall destroying mad.

As long as Laird has any control over the franchise, she'll never show up in anything but documentary retrospectives.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm just going to ignore the TMNT movie like I've been doing for every Transformers movie. If it turns out that it's good (yeah right), I can always watch it years down the line.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Truth. The Rat King is so wildly different from series to series, and I was not expecting some kind of vampiric, inter-dimensional Pied Piper, but with him and Renet showing up, I'm even more excited for them to get back out to Northampton and go crazy with the mystical stuff before bringing in Triceratons and more of the sci-fi elements.

I gotta say I'm disappointed that he's not just an insane homeless man in this version, but he does fit well in the new mythos. The comic keeps being pretty radical. (yes, I just caught up)

quote:

There's so much TMNT history to pull from, with so few missteps so far, I'm curious to see what IDW would do with things like Venus or secondary mutations. See if they can salvage some of the ideas that are universally detested and make them work.

Venus will never appear in any medium ever again.

E: Forgot to say that I'm not a huge fan of how cutesy the turtles have been drawn for a while. I kinda feel like they're trying to match the design of the new cartoon, but it's just kinda weird for a comic that occasionally has blood splattering deaths.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 7, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

funtax posted:

The Northampton arc, I'm guessing? Ross Campbell REEEEEEEEEALLY has a thing for cutesy turtles. His TMNT fan-comic gives you a sense of just how much he's being forced to tone it down by IDW.

Hm. I just assumed it was an attempted to ape the new cartoon due to April's new (terrible) haircut. Speaking of weird visual changes, why did they retcon Casey into wearing a normal boring Hockey mask anyway?

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I've been burning through the trades and am up to General Krang and I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this series.

Krang owns so much in this version. His one-shot is one of my favorite comics in the line.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 8, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

funtax posted:

Not sure what you mean. Casey has almost always worn a normal/old school hockey mask.

Nah man he used to wear a cool skull-shaped one, but since his dad turned into Hun he's been wearing a Jason style mask, and people refer to it as "his old mask", which is confusing me.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The only rights issue I'm aware of was when Peter Laird forced the dozens of guest contributors to the original Mirage series to sign retroactive work-for-hire contracts so that they wouldn't get any royalties if their characters were used again, and some of them refused, causing him to declare all their stories non-canon. As far as I know, that legal situation hasn't changed, so we're unlikely to see Bloodsucker or any other creator owned characters from early Mirage pop up in anything but reprints.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So that annual was... pretty awful, actually. Probably the worst IDW issue I've read. And it doesn't even really tie into Turtles in Time at all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So a mysterious stranger is hosting a Turtle Weekend stream, showing off TMNT material every night starting at 9 PM eastern. Old cartoons, old movies, strange animes, commercials, and more. Check it out if you're so inclined.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So tonight is the last night of Turtle Weekend, tune in in about an hour if you are interested. We're going to be watching that 2007 CG movie no one saw.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm a big fan of this new CG cartoon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

XIII posted:

^Is it up on any streaming site(s)? I've been meaning to give it a look.

You can watch at least some of them on the official nicktoons site if you do some malarky where you prove you have cable.

http://www.nick.com/ninja-turtles/episodes/

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Seeing someone who suffered a severe stroke rage out and drink massive amounts of coffee makes me really uncomfortable, magic healing or no.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Inkspot posted:

Hob is an awesome addition to the universe. I seriously can not stop singing the praises of the IDW book. The only weak arc was the Neutrino War, and that's only because I loving hate the Neutrinos. Even as a little kid I thought they were awful. In my mind, I just replace those issues with the original Triceraton arc and everything works out exactly the same.

The cartoon neutrinos were awful but they have very little in common with the ones in the comic. Don't hate on 'em.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no hopes for this sequel other than I hope it fails.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kme-RO2G3I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah, as much as I like the Nickelodeon show, some of the interpretations for the minor characters are so out there that it's like, you might as well have just made a completely original character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I do wonder why Hob couldn't have been Verminator and Alopex couldn't have been Ninjara though.

I know for a fact Alopex/Ninjara is a royalties thing.

• Locked thread