Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrmomancer
May 31, 2014

Renoistic posted:

I will give the Vita game this - you can aim by moving the Vita around which works perfectly and feels really intuitive. Makes sniping a cakewalk. Too bad most of the game is spent rubbing the screen to brush off dirt or similar braindead activities. Hopefully UC4 won't misuse the new PS4 gimmicks too much.

That does sound like a pretty cool mechanic. Somehow I don't think that makes up for the insta-kill QTE bosses, though. Those are the absolute worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I sorta knew something was up when the mysterious djinn-soldier hybrid things started popping up. Either that or Naughty Dog forgot all about pacing and proper storytelling and just threw in some magical fireball-hurling teleporters without any real mention of where the gently caress they came from, which would really help the general opinion that the game's overall pacing is sort of borked. I dunno what to think of the 'twist' being that there was nothing supernatural, as it would have been cool to see how they'd interpret a djinn. Not like they haven't already had magical zombie dust in a sarcophagus and blue ooze turning people into even more blue roid apes.

I just realized, all three games have involved people ingesting some sort of spooky substance.

UNCHARTED 5: SULLY DRINKS THE OLD BOOZE IN HIS DEAD GRANDFATHER'S LIQUOR CABINET OUT AT THE ABANDONED FAMILY FARM

We did get to see how Naughty Dog interprets Djinn; they interpret them as fire-headed fireball spitting hallucinations brought on by some kind of as-yet unknown hallucinogenic chemical weapon.

Crocodylus Pontifex
Jul 26, 2007
The Space Pope!
Nathan thinks way too highly of Francis Drake. He was all, "Oh he saw what horrible thing Elizibeth and John Dee were planning and put a stop to it!" as opposed to the much more likely, "He stumbled upon a nest of angry loving spiders and said gently caress that poo poo".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Can't wait to see video games' best grandpa with a mustache on the PS4.

I thought they did a great job with Drake in the U4 teaser. He's realistically reimagined w/o any feeling of the uncanny valley whilst being immediately recognizable. (And somehow at 60fps).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm kind of disappointed with that ending. I don't even know why, but after all that drama and building-up in the previous chapters, yet another crumbly city giving up the ghost and Drake nonspecifically riding off into the sunset just fell kind of flat for me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I just realized, all three games have involved people ingesting some sort of spooky substance.

UNCHARTED 5: SULLY DRINKS THE OLD BOOZE IN HIS DEAD GRANDFATHER'S LIQUOR CABINET OUT AT THE ABANDONED FAMILY FARM

That wouldn't have any effect on him, though.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

And More posted:

So, why was Talbot invincible to bullets when Charlie shot him? Wasn't the big reveal that djinns were just poison water?

As Drake's dark mirror, he can also survive a few gunshots as long as he gets to catch his breath and wipe the sweat from his brow.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There actually is an interview with Amy Hennig where someone questioned Talbot's magic powers (she also said something about it on twitter, I think); he is apparently supposed to be an illusionist, and though this is never touched upon in the game, it's word of god that he could have used a bulletproof vest to survive Cutter's gunshots and used an escape wire to poof away after stealing the journal. Also, Talbot's tarot card in Drake's notebook is the magician, so maybe it's not half-baked writing and it was intentional all along.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 15, 2014

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I might have missed it, but does Nathan ever say 'this isn't happening!' while tripped out? That would be perfect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm kind of disappointed with that ending. I don't even know why, but after all that drama and building-up in the previous chapters, yet another crumbly city giving up the ghost and Drake nonspecifically riding off into the sunset just fell kind of flat for me.

It's because Drake didn't lose anything, develop as a character, sacrifice anything, or gain anything. He didn't have to deal with the loss of his mentor, he got Elena back in the end, the magicy hallucinogen was destroyed and all enemies dealt with so he doesn't have any lasting new foes or plot hooks, etc. Nothing actually ended up happening as a result of the story here, which renders it kinda unsatisfying and flat.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

CJacobs posted:

There actually is an interview with Amy Hennig where someone questioned Talbot's magic powers (she also said something about it on twitter, I think); he is apparently supposed to be an illusionist, and though this is never touched upon in the game, it's word of god that he could have used a bulletproof vest to survive Cutter's gunshots and used an escape wire to poof away after stealing the journal. Also, Talbot's tarot card in Drake's notebook is the magician, so maybe it's not half-baked writing and it was intentional all along.

It can be intentional and still be bad. If they had found some wires at some point, or if Talbot's tricks ran out during a boss battle and you saw him flustered for the first time. That would be neat. But instead it's all left unmentioned without reading up about the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So how did Marlowe and Talbot know about the drug water in the first place? Francis Drake was trying to cover it all up, he wouldn't have wrote it down anywhere.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
A magician never reveals their tricks. Doubly so for dead ones.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

RatHat posted:

So how did Marlowe and Talbot know about the drug water in the first place? Francis Drake was trying to cover it all up, he wouldn't have wrote it down anywhere.

Because presumably the Evil League of Albion was clued in, possibly by John Dee or by Elizabeth herself. Francis Drake covered up the fact he found it, but he couldn't cover up the reason why he was sent to find it in the first place

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Rinkles posted:

Can't wait to see video games' best grandpa with a mustache on the PS4.

I thought they did a great job with Drake in the U4 teaser. He's realistically reimagined w/o any feeling of the uncanny valley whilst being immediately recognizable. (And somehow at 60fps).

Not that difficult when it's only rendering one character model, a patch of landscape 30 square feet in size, no physics, no collision, fixed lighting, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Because presumably the Evil League of Albion was clued in, possibly by John Dee or by Elizabeth herself. Francis Drake covered up the fact he found it, but he couldn't cover up the reason why he was sent to find it in the first place

I think this is it. Nathan's speculation (which is pretty much as good as fact, since it's meant for exposition) is that Elizabeth and John Dee already knew about the stuff (John Dee being an alchemist, he probably did some of his own chemistry experiments on the same or a similar substance) and sent Francis Drake to find the source and bring them back a literal boatload of it. But they didn't tell Drake the whole story about what he was going to find; when he found out that he was being used to find a mass hallucinogenic that would give Queen Elizabeth and her heirs nigh-unlimited power to influence whoever they wanted, he said "Whoops, didn't find anything" and made a failed attempt to destroy all evidence of his voyage.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RatHat posted:

Well they barely get any lines about any of this, so my first thought was that they didn't know either. They knew that Iram of the Pillars existed, and that there was some Bad poo poo in there that caused both the fall of the city itself, and Francis Drake going 'gently caress this, I'm out' when he was looking for the thing. If I were an amoral villain out for power, I don't think it would matter what exactly the thing was, just that I could winch it out of there.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Well they barely get any lines about any of this, so my first thought was that they didn't know either. They knew that Iram of the Pillars existed, and that there was some Bad poo poo in there that caused both the fall of the city itself, and Francis Drake going 'gently caress this, I'm out' when he was looking for the thing. If I were an amoral villain out for power, I don't think it would matter what exactly the thing was, just that I could winch it out of there.
Pretty lucky coincidence that the bad thing in the ruins happens to be something they're familiar with, then.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That's why I don't think it's a coincidence. I think they already knew about what Francis Drake was sent to find (since it looks like Queen Elizabeth and John Dee knew about it in the first place), and they even had some samples of it that they used for their darts. Their goal wasn't to find a "mysterious something of power" that may or may not exist to help them, but to find the source of the drug that they already had instead of trying to just copy it in a lab.

So from the start, they already knew about Iram of the Pillars and knew that the hallucinogen was in there. Their objective was to try and find just where Ubar was out in the Rub Al-Khali, so they could break in and find the giant urn. That's why they already had the giant winch and were hauling the brass vessel out when Drake got there: they knew what they were looking for the whole time and just needed to pinpoint it on a map.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Some missed opportunities in that ending, but to that one person who said Drake didn't sacrifice anything so there was no development: he did lose Drake's ring. It's not a big thing to sacrifice, but that does represent his, possibly false, ties to Sir Francis, so him letting it go and being okay with it is a good sign that he doesn't need to define himself as possibly Francis Drake's descendant anymore.

I'm glad for this LP, it did make me realize how much better it was than I remembered it being. Missed story beats and all and some odd pacing, but some of the best action sequences in the trilogy. And I love the final fistfight with Talbot, it fits a lot better than Navarro and Lazarevic and there is some crazy good "everything is collapsing" eye candy during the whole thing.

Thanks for the LP. Looking forward to the multiplayer and holy poo poo I cannot wait for The Wonderful 101

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I noticed in the Uncharted 4 trailer that Drake is wearing his wedding ring. I'm guessing that he and Elaina have kept their relationship between the games this time.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Clearly Sully actually got shot but just healed himself with his now life-sustaining pile of STDs and old man swag.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I noticed in the Uncharted 4 trailer that Drake is wearing his wedding ring. I'm guessing that he and Elaina have kept their relationship between the games this time.

They'd better have. It made a good amount of sense between one and two, and they made it work between two and three, but if it happens again - especially if Elena is still a character going forwards - that'll be once too many.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The trailer makes it sound like Drake left the "roguish adventurer" trade and is now coming back for one last job (that will have sequels because like gently caress Sony is letting an exclusive go). So if he's been stable for longer, it'd make sense that Elena would still be with him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Judging by the trailer it looks like it involves Pirates, are there any notable pirate cities in legend or reality?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

The trailer makes it sound like Drake left the "roguish adventurer" trade and is now coming back for one last job (that will have sequels because like gently caress Sony is letting an exclusive go). So if he's been stable for longer, it'd make sense that Elena would still be with him.

No studio lets a successful IP go until it stop selling. See Bioshock and Mass Effect. There generally aren't any graceful deaths in video games, either a series goes out before its time or it crushes itself under the weight of its own sequels.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Judging by the trailer it looks like it involves Pirates, are there any notable pirate cities in legend or reality?

A good few if we're talking Caribbean buccaneers. Tortuga is the most famous example: a major pirate stronghold in Haiti throughout the 17th century.

Penakoto
Aug 21, 2013

Do they ever hint or say who the bad guys are, besides just an old woman with lots of minions?

They've got plenty of money considering all the equipment they've got, that hideout in London with the elaborate secret entrance, and a lot of them wear suits in the hideout and I think a few other spots.

Like some kind of secret organization, rather than just a group of thugs or mercs like the first game, but I don't remember anything outright stated who or what they are. Mafia, illuminati, secret agent splinter group, something along those lines.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

chitoryu12 posted:

A good few if we're talking Caribbean buccaneers. Tortuga is the most famous example: a major pirate stronghold in Haiti throughout the 17th century.
Madagascar was also a famous Pirate stronghold.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Manatee Cannon posted:

No studio lets a successful IP go until it stop selling. See Bioshock and Mass Effect. There generally aren't any graceful deaths in video games, either a series goes out before its time or it crushes itself under the weight of its own sequels.

Naughty Dog still has to make the Uncharted kart racing game.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I liked the ending, gameplay-wise. "It was all a dream hallucination" was sort of a cop-out, but it was a neat explanation for the ghost rider enemies. Also the segment was short, the superpowered enemies did not overstay their welcome. In hindsight, the two big armored dudes carrying the machine guns were not horrible, they both just appeared on lovely arenas.

I also liked the final boss fight. It made more sense to me than the bullet sponges from the first two games.

The melee big guys should have had some variety.

Whizbang posted:

Naughty Dog still has to make the Uncharted kart racing game.

A.K.A. Unkarted

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
Wait, the game's over already?

That was absurdly anti-climactic.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Kloro posted:

Wait, the game's over already?

That was absurdly anti-climactic.

Yeah, I'm not clear on why Talbot couldn't have helped save Marlowe. He was just kinda standing there yelling when it looked like he could have jumped over and helped her out.

In the fistfight at the end, the first time I nearly won, Drake got stuck on a bit of geometry that prevented me from moving and Talbot from attacking Drake, so I had to restart the segment. Kinda spoiled the dramatic tension a bit to have the protagonist and antagonist-understudy trapped in place glaring at each other on a no-longer-disintegrating platform.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was kinda banking on sully dying and then drake uses genie magic to bring him back to life.

I'm still not sure if this series is supposed to have supernatural crap in it or not, the aztec zombies in the first game still have me a bit confused.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

OwlFancier posted:

I was kinda banking on sully dying and then drake uses genie magic to bring him back to life.

I'm still not sure if this series is supposed to have supernatural crap in it or not, the aztec zombies in the first game still have me a bit confused.

Drake usually has to get neck deep in lost mysteries (usually forgotten locations) for supernatural stuff to start happening. I'm not sure any of the supernatural stuff encountered so far has ever been really that good and helpful though, zombie magic made people go crazy and the super strength immortal juice from two had a similar effect. I think resurrection might be pushing it, even last crusade had Jones Sr still barely alive for the grail to work.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OwlFancier posted:

Well, for the first two games they were just going full on Indiana Jones embracing magic only at the climax route, but decided against that approach for this game cause I guess people complained? Maybe Indy 4 soured everybody on that kinda story? It did feel kinda weak to have the thing that everybody's been trying to get this whole game not even properly show up, we see it underwater for all of ten seconds then shoot down the crane and run.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I'm pretty sure if a sealed jar can continuously leak an extremely powerful hallucinogen into flowing water and not lose potency or run out for several hundred years (e: according to wikipedia the legend of Iram/Ubar/Whatever is over 1,500 years old) it's pretty close to supernatural. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I guess by supernatural I mean 'literally magic' rather than 'highly improbable chemistry'.

The second game had purple super 'roids, this game has purple super LSD, first game literally had a magic coffin that makes zombies with its evil voodoo aura or something.

Seems like the games are stepping down the magic bits as they go along.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

OwlFancier posted:

I guess by supernatural I mean 'literally magic' rather than 'highly improbable chemistry'.

The second game had purple super 'roids, this game has purple super LSD, first game literally had a magic coffin that makes zombies with its evil voodoo aura or something.

Yeah but I want an Ancient Greece-theme Uncharted where Drake has to fight those skeletons from the Jason and the Argonauts movie. Let's see how he handles shooting BONES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

OwlFancier posted:

The coffin in the first game had a rotting, moldy corpse in it that was covered in spores that the dude inhaled.

• Locked thread