Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I still go back and play the early 4.1 dockside mission where you're getting reports on the space battle. That's how you write games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Runa posted:

It's kind of hosed up to say this but

I actually got pretty invested EDF5's story

We fight for our land, family and friends. Unfortunately, we are losing everything we hold dear. We have all been wounded and we're losing our courage to fight. What are we suffering for? I just need to place my hand on my chest—and feel that hot and vibrant beat—to know the answer!

Everyone else is dead, and we are alive!
We, the living, have to fight!
We will fight in the name of our planet, AND STICK IT TO THEM!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
EDF5 is very earnest.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Like all the best and endearing scifi, EDF works because it plays all its camp completely straight. It rules

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I have more emotional attachment to the nameless operators/commander and the functionally nameless NPCs in EDF games than I do to a lot of full RPG characters.

The EDF 5 commander's speech got posted already, but my other favorite moments are:
  • The extended bit in EDF 4.1 where Air Raiders slowly lose access to more and more of their call-ins over the course of several missions because the aliens are kicking the EDF's rear end and claiming air superiority, followed by the mission where you suddenly regain access to everything because the air carrier that handles your call-ins is making a suicide rush through the enemy air cover because they refuse to leave the infantry to die alone was a peak "hell fuckin yeah, brother" moment.
  • Your long bromance with the NPC squads in EDF 5 like Sarge's rangers and the Grim Reapers and how they repeatedly show up to help you until all of you are assigned to a suicide mission together and you all kind of rack up and prepare to go down fighting together.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing i don't like about 5 is how worthless the npc allies are. they exist solely to block your shots and die and it makes me feel bad.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the part in edf 4 where you basically hear almost all of your support crew die on the radio while the comme lady is having a breakdown because she's gonna die in dragonfire is pretty incredible

and then it turns out they're alright because whale really is the coolest

selling that you are possibly literally the last man standing rules rules rules

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

one thing i don't like about 5 is how worthless the npc allies are. they exist solely to block your shots and die and it makes me feel bad.

The aforementioned Grim Reapers from EDF 5 are god tier and make completing a couple of missions on inferno infinitely easier because they're fencers with approximately ten bajillion HP and recruiting them takes a tremendous amount of pressure off you.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, there's the problem. i don't play on inferno.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I like how all of the other squads that become your backup Storm teams never actually die, they just take a knee

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I saw a tweet the other day recommending EDF5 (it's currently $18 on Steam)

I thought about picking it up, but then I remembered that I bought EDF 4.1, and I haven't played it yet (or any EDF game for that matter).

The tweet also mentioned a mod for it called Lootmaster, saying it was essential. I did a search, and it says it makes it so that it auto-collects all the crates once you clear a mission.

I don't know anything about EDF (other than that you shoot giant bugs), so I just wanted to ask if there were any major differences between EDF 4.1 and EDF 5, if I should grab EDF5 now, and if there's a similar mod for EDF 4.

I played 4.1 first and slightly prefer its story, pacing and songs. EDF 5 mostly makes things bigger and better looking (and adds wing divers singing again). I don't think there is a loot pickup mod for EDF 4.1, though, only people using cheatengine or other applications like it.
You can't really go wrong with either one so just start with whichever one you feel like.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
4.1 has every class level on their own and the weapon drop table is absolutely dire until halfway through Inferno. I'd skip on it since Fencers are not fun and Air Raiders have too many problem enemies and a lovely Limpet gun. The game doesn't run well like 5. End of an era game.
5 allows you to play the game with whatever and other classes also benefit all the while. The Fencers in 5 also know how to move and that includes the AI. EDF 5 has Cheat Engine which has a loot pickup, mission end, and one shot kill to cut down on grinding.

Arrest that man!

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 24, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big problem with 4.1 is the earth eaters. they're a neat idea, but awful in practice.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

5's versions of the classes make it pretty hard to go back. As alluded to by Scaling Coffee, EDF 5 Air Raider is just a much more competently designed class than the messy kludge it was in 4.1, and while Fencers could move *really well* in 4.1 if you knew how to do it, they had garbage vertical movement(alas, defeated by a chest high railing) and a lot of their movement power involved using the otherwise useless javelin catapult in one of your slots so the Fencer's intended weapon versatility didn't exist.

Rangers benefit from infinitely better shotguns and some minor vehicles to help their poo poo mobility(once you get out of the low level bikes that accelerate like underpowered go-karts and have magical frictionless tires). Wing Divers feel fairly similar between the games, but 5 polishes up their movement - not as much as fencers, but a notable amount.

I think the only thing I really miss from 4.1's class design was Air Raider vehicles generally being much more dominant(rip railgun tank, completely neutered and handed off to the ranger to die), but given how they're infinitely better in all other regards now it's a fair tradeoff.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
If you already have 4.1 don't get 5 now, 4.1 a better intro to the series and if you like this type of game you'll end up playing both eventually.

EDFs 5 and 6 have the worst tutorial levels of any videogame I've played and I would forgive anyone for giving up on the series entirely if their first experience with it was that. (I imagine 6's tutorials are intentionally bad on purpose, the devs just taking the piss after getting complaints re: 5)

Loot auto-pickup doesn't remove the grind, only the trade-off of "do I end this now safely or do I risk everything for a potential new weapon?" which is literally the only worthwhile thing about the loot system.

gently caress EDF's gacha, choose a mod to unlock all weapons immediately and set HP at will if such thing exists, and play the missions taking into account the online maximum weapon level and HP caps (or don't, Inferno is still challenging with all weapons unlocked).

Scalding Coffee posted:

4.1 has every class level on their own and the weapon drop table is absolutely dire until halfway through Inferno. I'd skip on it since Fencers are not fun

Agreed on both counts but drop table is moot if there's a mod to unlock everything and they can just ignore fencers until they play 5.

Storm One fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 24, 2024

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'd say play 4.1 first if you have it already.

Going from 5 to 4.1 isnt the worst, but i deffo miss the new movement stuff and character upgrades.

One thing to understand about EDF is that the games are kinda paired up. 1 is about an alien invasion, and 2 is about the same aliens coming back again. Same deal with 3/4 and 5/6. Each pair is its own self contained continuity.

4.1 does benefit from familiarity with the third game (known as EDF 2017 in the west), but as much as i like 3 its hard to recommend playing its 70 odd missions with only the ranger class and no online multiplayer.

Cheat engine to auto grab pickups at the end of each mission isnt hugely necessary honestly, unless you're going to play through on inferno difficulty you really shouldnt need to grind much anyway. Personally i like the mad scramble at the end of the mission to get as many boxes as you can before the last ant gets itself killed.

Absolutely dont cheat in all the weapons tho imo thats nuts. Like yeah sometimes that next level assault rifle just isnt dropping but imo the correct thing to do is leave your comfort zone and take that cool new shotgun you did unlock instead. I love the feeling the weapon drop system has, the EDF is so stretched that you end up having to use whatever guns you can scrounge up. Big part of the games charm for me

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005

Storm One posted:

If you already have 4.1 don't get 5 now, 4.1 a better intro to the series and if you like this type of game you'll end up playing both eventually.

EDFs 5 and 6 have the worst tutorial levels of any videogame I've played and I would forgive anyone for giving up on the series entirely if their first experience with it was that. (I imagine 6's tutorials are intentionally bad on purpose, the devs just taking the piss after getting complaints re: 5)

Loot auto-pickup doesn't remove the grind, only the trade-off of "do I end this now safely or do I risk everything for a potential new weapon?" which is literally the only worthwhile thing about the loot system.

gently caress EDF's gacha, choose a mod to unlock all weapons immediately and set HP at will if such thing exists, and play the missions taking into account the online maximum weapon level and HP caps (or don't, Inferno is still challenging with all weapons unlocked).

Agreed on both counts but drop table is moot if there's a mod to unlock everything and they can just ignore fencers until they play 5.

One of my favorite parts of early EDF gameplay is trying to sneak out a victory on a high difficulty setting to get an overpowered weapon to wreck normal difficulty with. Running for your life away from an ant that can one shot you while trying to find a vehicle or npc to save you can be fun (to my broken brain that insists on overleveling in RPGs).

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

4.1 has every class level on their own and the weapon drop table is absolutely dire until halfway through Inferno. I'd skip on it since Fencers are not fun and Air Raiders have too many problem enemies and a lovely Limpet gun. The game doesn't run well like 5. End of an era game.
5 allows you to play the game with whatever and other classes also benefit all the while. The Fencers in 5 also know how to move and that includes the AI. EDF 5 has Cheat Engine which has a loot pickup, mission end, and one shot kill to cut down on grinding.

Arrest that man!

I liked 4's fencers. The problem is their usability almost entirely depends on dash canceling either with shields or javelin catapult. With javelin catapult, fencer turns into a kiting machine, even faster than a Wing Diver.
But 5's fencers are just badass and allow you to experiment a little more without risking all your mobility.

4.1 on PC always ran pretty well for me, even on an i5 4670 and GTX 770, same with 5. 60 fps until you run into lots of particles with transparency, like the impact particles when a couple dozen bullets hit the ground

Ranger Vick posted:

One of my favorite parts of early EDF gameplay is trying to sneak out a victory on a high difficulty setting to get an overpowered weapon to wreck normal difficulty with. Running for your life away from an ant that can one shot you while trying to find a vehicle or npc to save you can be fun (to my broken brain that insists on overleveling in RPGs).

Agreed, cheating weapons in seems kinda boring. EDF is far from gacha, it will rain weapons on you after every successful mission. I never felt it was grindy until very hard/inferno

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
while frustrating at times, i liked the strict weapon level limits in 5's online mode. it encouraged experimentation with a lot of different weapons.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I loved the weapon levels system in EDF5 because one of my favorite things in EDF is the low level ultra lovely gimmick guns that you need to play around, and with the weapon stars a LOT more weapons classify as ultra lovely gimmicks until they get some dupes.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

4.1 is worth playing just because the caves are loving dark. It's legit spooky fighting hordes of bugs when the majority of your light is from your weapons.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Infinity Gaia posted:

I loved the weapon levels system in EDF5 because one of my favorite things in EDF is the low level ultra lovely gimmick guns that you need to play around, and with the weapon stars a LOT more weapons classify as ultra lovely gimmicks until they get some dupes.

How about the bikes in 4.1? Only a trained professional can operate those. I loved seeing new players spawn them for the first time, immediately spin out, hit a curb and explode.
Or Ranger's little grenades that turns into a giant bomb when you throw them, immediately plummets to the ground and blows you up

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

HolyKrap posted:

How about the bikes in 4.1? Only a trained professional can operate those. I loved seeing new players spawn them for the first time, immediately spin out, hit a curb and explode.
Or Ranger's little grenades that turns into a giant bomb when you throw them, immediately plummets to the ground and blows you up

Not a single person has successfully fired an Air Tortoise on their first try.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Infinity Gaia posted:

Not a single person has successfully fired an Air Tortoise on their first try.

bullshit

Everyone is able to fire an air tortoise easily enough, but everyone falls into the trap of rolling alongside it, because it's funny that it's slow.

No one escapes the explosion radius on their first try.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cheat in all the gun's because more gun's is more funner

the level limit in co-op will make you try all different stuff as you go anyway

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Don't cheat anything in unless you're just planning to screw around for a couple hours and then stop playing forever or something.

I think 4.1 had the better story, I remember the steady escalation of stakes and deterioration of earth's forces being sold pretty well as the campaign progressed. In 5 I felt like the middle 80% of missions could be more or less shuffled around randomly, at least in terms of narrative.

5 is definitely the better of the two in terms of gameplay though, and its story is still interesting in its own way.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
5 is better hands down if you mostly play air raider. there's absolutely no competition. but if you play other classes, there are pros and cons to each game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

play 4.1 until you start to feel slightly frustrated with it (likely the first time you want to swap to a class you haven't played for a while), then move to 5

play without any item pickup cheats until you come to the inevitable conclusion that stalling out missions to chase pickups across the map loving sucks, then just use the cheat engine infinite pickup range on hotkey thing

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I DON'T CARE IF THE SATELLITE MELTS, KEEP FIRING!

EDF support crew go so hard

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Light Gun Man posted:

I DON'T CARE IF THE SATELLITE MELTS, KEEP FIRING!

EDF support crew go so hard

The best part is that you get character development through the support crew lines. Early on the satellite laser lady is super hesitant and like "oh no someone's firing the satellite laser that's dangerous" and slowly becomes more into it until near the end of the game where she's like "DON'T STOP FIRING UNTIL IT BLOWS INTO PIECES".

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

5 is better hands down if you mostly play air raider. there's absolutely no competition. but if you play other classes, there are pros and cons to each game.

The only upside 4.1 air raider has over 5 is that Vegalta and Balaam look infinitely better than Nyx and Barga. As a hardcore Air Raider lover I can never go back to 4.1 and the huge swathes of missions that are just miserable to play with it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The only category in which 4.1 Air Raider was a little better is that 4.1 vehicles were generally much more useful than 5 vehicles are due to a combination of individual vehicle power, mission structure, and enemy types. As one example, the 4.1 railgun tank was absolutely amazing do-everything swiss army knife and the 5 version(which was moved to Ranger) is a pathetic shadow of its former glory. There's some exceptions, though, like the Barga is simply miles better than the Balam due to there being more enemy types it's actually good against and it being generally more durable.

5's Air Raider obviously comes out ahead because the new system of call-ins is 100x more powerful, but there was at least some tradeoff.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Air Raider 5 satellites do not harm UFOs. Otherwise it's muchly nicer.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You couldn't attach turrets or explosives to every surface in 4.1 like you could in 5. So many suicide runs called off because they bounced off the bike. No burning spiderbot that explodes upside down.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

You couldn't attach turrets or explosives to every surface in 4.1 like you could in 5. So many suicide runs called off because they bounced off the bike. No burning spiderbot that explodes upside down.

That was like my main tactic in tunnel missions in 4.1 and it worked fine. C4 on bike in tunnels, or turrets on helicopter blades outside. And 4.1 air raider could bring out two of the same weapon, dual wielding tempests was great for the godzilla missions.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I know I was not the only one, but it was something when I played with other people. Maybe it was a frame rate or lag issue.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Scalding Coffee posted:

I know I was not the only one, but it was something when I played with other people. Maybe it was a frame rate or lag issue.

IIRC there was a limit to how much stuff you could put on something before it stopped counting collision, but usually a small bunch of the higher level C4 could completely clear a room in the caves

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
4.1 has a few goofy ideas I wish were carried forward as awkward but potent options, like the Air Raider web gun

Blind Duke fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 26, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Found some items that will come with the Clouded Leopard version for the PS#.

https://store.playstation.com/en-id/product/HP5846-PPSA18673_00-EDF6DXEDITION000

Regular Edition:
・"Reverse Core N" for Wing Divers
・Soldier Recruiter Decoy: Shirakami Fubuki (for Rangers)
・Soldier Recruiter Decoy: Nakiri Ayame (for Rangers)
・Soldier Recruiter Decoy: Ookami Mio (for Rangers)

Deluxe Edition Contents:
・"Powered Exoskeleton Nix Metal Coat” for Air Raiders
・"Blacker No. 6” for Rangers

・Season Pass
- "Free Bike No. 6" for Rangers
- "Eros No. 6" for Air Raiders
- "Naegling No. 6" for Air Raiders
- "Broken MR98 Fang" for Rangers
- "A60 Binary Round" for Rangers
- "Aerial Reverser M0" for Rangers
- "Handy Saber Type 0" for Wing Divers
- Onee Chanbara ORIGIN "Disguised Body Pillow" for Fencers