Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tei posted:

I think we just wanted hordes of robots, even if the combat was bad. And a wide variety of weapons to fullfill that archwizard trope. Instead (from the videos) it looks like the enemies don't do much or anything at all, and come in small numbers.

Meh.

It sucks because like... swarms of cheap plasticy enemies should be fine for a Super Robot game but they didn't do anything interesting with 90% of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I played through EDF5 last month as my first EDF since Insect Armageddon and had a great time, definitely picking up 6 as soon as it's out.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The enemy numbers definitely increase after a few missions, but they don't seem to do anything new. Only played through Mission 9 so far in Custom Robot Wars.

They also hosed up the multiplayer in ways they had already solved with mainline EDF. You can't change the difficulty without backing out of/closing the lobby, and the in game quickchat features aren't translated. I played with a Japanese random yesterday and all the voice lines are in Japanese, with the displayed text being shown in whatever language the players system is.

So i had no idea what the other player was trying to communicate, and they probably had no idea what I was saying either unless they could actually hear the voice barks.

Just real dumb poo poo

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Vadun posted:

They also hosed up the multiplayer in ways they had already solved with mainline EDF.

Wait, I'm lost, who's "they"? Is CMW confirmed to be a Sandlot game? It's not listed on Sandlot's site, and the CMW trailer I saw made no mention of who the developers are.

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Storm One posted:

Wait, I'm lost, who's "they"? Is CMW confirmed to be a Sandlot game? It's not listed on Sandlot's site, and the CMW trailer I saw made no mention of who the developers are.

Steam page says it was published and developed by D3, who has published most of (all of?) Sandlot's games, but I didn't know they had in-house developers. But I believe D3 is part of Bandai so maybe it's all just one oversized company.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ardryn posted:

Steam page says it was published and developed by D3, who has published most of (all of?) Sandlot's games, but I didn't know they had in-house developers. But I believe D3 is part of Bandai so maybe it's all just one oversized company.

RAD was published by Enix, at least in NA. That was actually my biggest reason for gambling on it at the used game shop.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

McSpanky posted:

What a disappointment! Guess I'll keep waiting for that spiritual sequel to Robot Alchemic Drive...
Their Tetsujin 28 PS2 game kicked all sorts of rear end. The robots are much faster in that game, holy poo poo. One of them knows Kung Fu.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 15, 2023

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Apparently Custom Mech Wars on steam has a neat bug where setting your lobby to invite only will make it randomly invite people on your friends list. That's gotta be a new low for Japanese PC ports in the year 2023

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
March 14.

https://youtu.be/WCZ1vesveck?si=eHVCVhWDfsKWVss5

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Wait a sec, I'm confused. That's the Clouded Leopard version, but I thought we were getting an actual english release around this time of year? Or was the release trailer FOR the CLE version? Or is it just a coincidence?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I expected the end of March, but this is good.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Infinity Gaia posted:

Wait a sec, I'm confused. That's the Clouded Leopard version, but I thought we were getting an actual english release around this time of year? Or was the release trailer FOR the CLE version? Or is it just a coincidence?
Its described as the 'English Voiceover/Subtitle version and is only coming out on playstation 4/5. So unfortunately this does appear to be the Asian English release.

The actual proper western release version is still listed as 'Coming spring 2024' and has Steam and Epic Games listed as platforms.

Edit: some more evidence that this isnt the right version check out this 3 month old trailer from the playstation youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7khSg7y7KM&t=6s

Different voice acting (sounds much more like EDF 5's) and no Clouded Leopard logo anywhere.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 26, 2024

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Would have been too awesome for it to release on my birthday.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im just over here trying to figure out why everyone was suddenly talking about Battletech Clans

(I had no idea who that publisher was)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

EDF6 western PS4/PS5/Steam version delayed to Summer
https://www.gematsu.com/2024/02/earth-defense-force-6-delayed-to-summer-in-the-west

Clouded Leopard's asian english PS4/PS5 version is still coming out in March but I'm gonna wait for the western one because, as stupid as this might sound, I'm hoping they get the same voice actors back from 5. :shobon:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A two year delay for Steam. Impressive.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

is not too bad, we can still play Helldivers 2, that is like tiny air raider

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
angery >: (

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To... not save our planet earth from any alien attack :smith:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

From vicious giant insects who still haven't yet come back :flaccid:

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I wonder what the logistics are here. D3 publishes sandlot game, eventually makes it english, and later brings it to PC, it does pretty well. EDF 5 comes out, same thing. Overwhelmingly positive reviews on Steam.
EDF 6 comes out, same thing, but much slower. 2 years later, asia is getting an English release before the west.

I almost wanna say this delay is because they don't want to try competing with Helldivers on PC, but idk. Game looks great, has solid controls and combat, but it doesn't scratch the EDF itch for me. I'm gonna nitpick here, I prefer the EDF results screen and gameplay loop of showing you a list of all your new weapons and upgrades to jump straight into the next mission vs Helldiver's waiting for XP bars to fill up while they boop and beep at you, then show you how great their premium currency cosmetics can look. Not to mention the FOMO game design of giving you daily challenges. It's all about working towards unlocks, vs EDF just dropping so much cool poo poo on you every round and letting you play with it
I just wanna start up a game and shoot bugs and blow up cities dammit

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I don't even know what Helldivers is. EDF is the much bigger IP to follow. I should also get through 5 at some point. I ran out of time and energy right as it came out.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Helldivers 2 is like the good version of a western EDF game. It's amazing.

Bruc fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 13, 2024

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Looking at Helldivers 2, it seems like a Yukes game that is better made and without the westernized EDF stuff. A better Iron Rain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Explosionface posted:

I don't even know what Helldivers is. EDF is the much bigger IP to follow. I should also get through 5 at some point. I ran out of time and energy right as it came out.

You might not realize it but Helldivers 1 was actually a very popular budget game whose fanbase was actually comparable somewhat comparable to EDF's in size and even fills a similar, though obviously not exactly the same, niche in in that it was a jank comedy sci-fi shooter. Just instead of classic giant insects sci-fi vibes, they instead play the Verhoeven Starship Troopers satire to the hilt. But unlike EDF there was almost a whole decade between the release of the original game and the sequel so there was a lot of anticipation for HD2. On steam charts its concurrent players even managed to beat the wildly popular pokemon knockoff ARK game.

To put in perspective, EDF5's worldwide sales exceeded 1 million after 5 years. Helldivers 2 broke 1 million in under a week. It's also only 40 bucks.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Runa posted:

On steam charts its concurrent players even managed to beat the wildly popular pokemon knockoff ARK game.

???

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

well obviously not for very long

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Palworld had 1 dip below Helldiver's all-time peak and that was during Steam's scheduled maintenance

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

welp

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Explosionface posted:

I love EDF with all of my heart and soul, but the very idea that EDF is a "much bigger IP to follow" than pretty much anything else is gut-bustingly hilarious. EDF is incredibly niche. EDF 5 peaked at like 8500 concurrent players on Steam.

Ironically, the explosive success of Helldivers 2 might actually draw more attention to EDF 6 when it comes out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah ironically seeing Helldivers 2 take off like a rocket has only gotten me more excited for EDF6

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I can like both.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyRmxjhYrmw

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
EDF walked for 20 years so Helldivers 2 could run.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I want to see one EDF air raider take out an entire team of Helldivers with a tempest

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I saw a tweet the other day recommending EDF5 (it's currently $18 on Steam)

I thought about picking it up, but then I remembered that I bought EDF 4.1, and I haven't played it yet (or any EDF game for that matter).

The tweet also mentioned a mod for it called Lootmaster, saying it was essential. I did a search, and it says it makes it so that it auto-collects all the crates once you clear a mission.

I don't know anything about EDF (other than that you shoot giant bugs), so I just wanted to ask if there were any major differences between EDF 4.1 and EDF 5, if I should grab EDF5 now, and if there's a similar mod for EDF 4.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 24, 2024

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Max Wilco posted:

I saw a tweet the other day recommending EDF5 (it's currently $18 on Steam)

I thought about picking it up, but then I remembered that I bought EDF 4.1, and I haven't played it yet (or any EDF game for that matter).

The tweet also mentioned a mod for it called Lootmaster, saying it was essential. I did a search, and it says it makes it so that it auto-collects all the crates once you clear a mission.

I don't know anything about EDF (other than that you shoot giant bugs), so I just wanted to ask if there were any major differences between EDF 4.1 and EDF 5, if I should grab EDF5 now, and if there's a similar mod for EDF 4.

4 has some great moments and weapons, but 5 is just the better game. On top of that, the early missions are literally the same up to like the 30-40 range, as 5 is a retelling/alternative version of 4's overall story.

You can play both, but you will burn out most likely trying to do them consecutively. I'd personally recc 5.

And while scrambling to grab crates at the end of a mission is kind of part of the EDF experience, it's a poo poo one and if you wanna slam the mod in go for it. It is a significant QoL improvement.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
5 isn't a retelling of 4, it's a brand new continuity. The aliens are completely different and the EDF is encountering them for the first time, whereas in EDF 4/4.1 they already knew aliens existed because that game was a sequel.

4.1 was an enhanced/updated retelling of 2025/EDF 4, which was a sequel to 2017.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's kind of hosed up to say this but

I actually got pretty invested EDF5's story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kanos posted:

5 isn't a retelling of 4, it's a brand new continuity. The aliens are completely different and the EDF is encountering them for the first time, whereas in EDF 4/4.1 they already knew aliens existed because that game was a sequel.

4.1 was an enhanced/updated retelling of 2025/EDF 4, which was a sequel to 2017.

The aliens are entirely different. After all, they look just like us.