Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
This is my first real EDF game(I played and beat IA on the PC and it was okay but very mediocre). I played a few missions with my friends last night. On our last mission of the night, the mission where the giant walker that shits hectors first appeared, we got basically obliterated; it was down to all of us scattered and trying desperately to stay alive long enough to win. Finally it was down to my one friend playing Wing Diver, alone against like 100 drones and 10 hectors, fleeing for his life with a sliver of health. The airstrike comes in and blows up the walker right as the hectors finally catch up to my friend and kill him. We sat there in silence for a minute until the MISSION COMPLETE scrolled onto the screen while I watch the camera pan around my corpse.

Our response was to start spamming EDF! EDF!. :911:

(Incidentally, is it just me or are Fencer miniguns worthless? They do piss poor damage, have horrible accuracy, and their recoil is almost impossible to tame. I'm having much more success sticking with hand cannons or the auto-shotguns for basically every enemy. When I'm not "accidentally" team killing with mortars. :getin:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

^^ I love the Jackhammer but I hate using it because you can't dash cancel with it like you can with all the other melee weapons. ^^

Drakenel posted:

My answer to that and every tough enemy has always seemed to be high powered sniper rifles.

Yeah, you'd think that wouldn't work because of how fast they move, but there's always a point where the pause to turn around, and I just nail them then. Sure the red flyers are HP sinks, but just be sure to bring a high damage gun, I suppose.

These fuckers are the most unfun garbage I've ever seen, goddamn. If you don't have a team full of snipers on Hard or higher you're pretty much hosed because they have a bazillion hitpoints and do a bazillion damage. I just want to blow up giant armies of hectors and ants and poo poo, not sit and agonizingly aim sniper rifles at flying poo poo while hiding under a building like I'm playing Gears of War or something. :qq:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

This isn't true. I've been using the Jackhammer and dash canceling with it for ages now. Hell, I have a Reflector now which makes me even faster because of how quickly it's reflect animation runs. I'm pretty sure the only time I've taken the Jackhammer off since getting it is when I dropped down to Easy for a while to rush through several missions and decided to play with the Dynamo Blade instead.

I'm not talking about shield cancelling, I'm talking about cancelling with the melee weapon itself. With spears you can actually cancel the dash animation with the spear itself without having to have a shield equipped for the reflect trick. The Jackhammer doesn't let you do that for some reason so if you want to move around and cancel with it you actually need a shield, so you can't use it as your gun/melee setup. I normally prefer the Vulcan Hammers if I'm going to go all out melee and bringing a shield because of how often you get knocked back while employing a shield.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I did not know that. Interesting. Though who blocks with a shield? The reflect negates all damage and may even do some back at the enemy, and if you're using at least an Ion Shield it's quick enough you can spam it between melee attacks with worrying about timing.

Blocking with a Tower Shield + Vulcan Hammer for life. Tower Shields have insane radial coverage while blocking and make you almost immune to damage(I had a teammate Wing Diver shoot me in the face with that stupid plasma bazooka and it did like 20 damage), meaning you can safely charge a vulcan hammer to kill things. It's my go-to combo for ants and non-retiarius spiders.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Reflector and Jackhammer.

I'm definitely going to try this because I really wanted to find a use for the Jackhammer since it's absolutely loving hilarious.

Apple Jax posted:

Agh, I love this game (and freaking love 2017) but playing co-op with a Wing Diver sucks rear end.

I'm playing couch co-op (with polo-rican who posted above) with him as a Wing Diver and I as a Ranger. It took us a few levels to realize that whoever picks up the item is who gets it. Which sucks since the wing diver is so much faster at collecting items then any other class. So, he kept getting super fun weapons while I got squat.

Also, each level felt like I was constantly out of range of enemies while the Wing Diver shot them all before I could get to them.

So, now we both play as Wing Divers...I love the class but it completely changes the game.

Are you sure about this? It feels like as a career Fencer player I'd basically never get any loot if this was the case. I play with a lot of Wing Divers and always get a bunch of weapons after missions.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Gyoru posted:

You can pick the good Fencers apart online by how well they dash cancel (if they even know how) and if they can fight at range even with close combat weapons.

This is a big thing. One of the most important things to learn about the melee weapons is that almost none of them are truly melee weapons. Stuff like Blasthole/Flashing Spears have a good 40 meters of range if not more, and Vulcan Hammers can clear a surprisingly giant radius.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FuSchnick posted:

Railgun tanks are absurdly powerful for their level. Makes up for their side guns being absurdly weak. But seriously, the railgun outperforms every other tank I've tried, even ones 20 levels higher. It has a fast, flat, super accurate trajectory and a laser targeting beam so you can actually aim properly.

A similar level Titan has more raw damage and blast radius, but the shots are super slow and hard to aim.

Vehicles are incredibly fun and awesome but if I had a single overwhelming "What the gently caress" complaint about this game it's how no vehicles have a loving targeting reticle. It's so annoying and I don't understand why they did that. At least the railgun has the crappy laser to help it out. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

If you're playing the game for 'loot', the point of this game has gone flying over your head.

To be fair, sometimes you get tired of killing giant bugs and robots with the same old boring tank cannons the size of your body and you really want to change over to a shotgun the size of your body.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

OH NO MAN posted:

Why yes, we're gonna have you fight a giant bulletsponge enemy who will blow you the gently caress up from a mile away and is chilling outside the bounds of the level so you can't do the usual Wing Diver :black101: strategy of killing its dick with the laser chainsaw. Nope, you're going to plink away with a crappy sniper rifle, and hope one of the flying drones that spawn after you do enough damage drops some health. What fun! :downsgun:

I did finish the mission (mission 67), but that was probably the least fun I've had with this game so far.

The game seems hell bent on including periodic "how on earth is this fun at all" missions like this and the infamous red drone intro mission just to break up all the amazing missions like Operation Brute Force.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

None of Sandlot's other games ever did. With Japanese devs, sometimes I wonder if they even know what a PC is.

It would be amazing to see this game on a PC just to see it run at double digit FPS when there's more than two ants and an EDF trooper on screen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ah Pook posted:

As far as I can tell, that's all you get. The vehicle controls are pretty atrocious.

Ground vehicles actually control pretty well provided you're in one of the zippier ones like the railgun tank. The problem with most vehicles isn't that the controls are bad so much as most of them are tuned to handle like beached whales so it feels awful. Holding down R1 for like 20 seconds before a helicopter starts ascending due to its terrible rate of climb is pretty what the gently caress.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Broseph Brostar posted:

My problem with the helicopters isn't the sluggish controls, its the awful camera.

What's the point of an autotargeting machine gun and direct fire rockets if the camera is pointing down where the machine gun shoots instead straight for the rockets?

VVV: the web guns are good for that

Most of the vehicles have misaligned weapons and hosed up camera problems like this. The Vegalta mechs are misaligned so that even though the machine gun is on one arm and the rocket launcher is on the other, if your machine gun is on target the rocket launcher will miss and vice versa despite them being visually parallel. Even the one-gun tanks have problems because it's almost impossible to determine where you're actually aiming due to no crosshairs.

Why can't all of them have a laser sight like the railgun tank? :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

After having a comically lovely two weeks, I was able to devote a day to break into this game. I rolled Ranger, since the game said it's the easiest class to pick up and the thread indicates the classes only get better from hereon out. I've got two lvl. 20 weapons so far - a Bozor-lite sniper rifle and a Stingray, both at level 20ish.

I've got a few questions before I get into online multi:

*Will my piddly level 20 gear allow me to be of any use to people rolling through Hardest/Inferno?

*Can I use any of the Ranger crap I unlocked on other classes?

*Can I separate the Jump command from the side roll command?

No, no, and no, unfortunately.

1. You can game the first issue weapons-wise by farming a really early mission in Hardest to get some higher level drops(mission 3 is particularly good because it's effectively a giant flat shooting gallery with nothing but tons of gray ants), with the caveat that this won't fix your massive armor deficiency for higher difficulties(if you're still rolling around at 200-300 armor, stuff on Hardest will one shot you). Armor is unfortunately a gigantic pain in the rear end to get up and either requires ridiculous amounts of playtime or some of the most tedious unfun farming I've ever done in in a video game.

2. Equipment and armor level is specific to class, but you can change classes any time you want. It's a good idea to pick two classes and alternate based on your mood and the needs of the mission because that way you'll ensure a steady stream of "OOH SHINY NEW STUFF" and your armor gain won't suffer too much.

3. Nope.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

As a PS3 version owner, I watched some videos of the 360 version today.

I'm so jealous. :qq:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Levantine posted:

Framerates are lower on the PS3, especially on splitscreen. 360 has fewer stutter issues under the same conditions, basically.

PS3 has some serious crashing problems when playing multiplayer that the 360 version seems to be without as well. My friends and I very frequently have our PS3s hardlock randomly while loading multiplayer levels.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

Playing as a fencer feels pretty pointless when you're with an Air Raider who stomps around in a Vegalta dealing double your damage, moving twice as quickly, and with 10x the hit points (6000 vs around 600 currently for our fencer).

Fencers are insanely fast and mobile once you understand how dash cancelling works. Nothing the Air Raider deploys will ever be as agile and hard to pin down as a competent fencer(though some vehicles will be able to move in a straight line substantially faster). It's better to not get hit at all than it is to tank damage, as even huge rear end wall-o-HP vehicles can get ripped apart in seconds by being swamped. Dash cancelling is also a substantial damage output increase for some weapons; the hand cannons fire roughly three times as fast when cancelled repeatedly, for example, which makes them significantly more deadly than a comparable Vegalta's armament.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'll be picking this game up to binge on with a friend in couch co-op this weekend. Has anyone been able to figure out yet whether the load times are significantly improved on the PS3 if you get the downloadable version when compared to the disc version?

Edit: because I hear there's no PS3 install option for the disc verison.

I have the digital download version and the load times are horrible, so...

gently caress this game has so many problems but it's so good. :shepicide:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Watching videos of a real EDF game running at a double digit framerate consistently when things are happening makes me feel weird.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

It's in the steam database leaks so it probably will be.

Oh god, is there a source on this? You might make me the happiest person ever because I have no budget for a PS4 and it's torn an EDF-shaped hole in my heart.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh my god. :vince:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Day Man posted:

Alright, just started this, and it seems pretty cool. I'm playing as an air raider. Is there any way to sprint? The movement is infuriatingly slow

Call a vehicle and drive around, or spam roll.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Stage 96: Demon Army online is an absolutely murderous difficulty jump. Quite literally starting the mission covered in a legion of those bastard upgraded drones with the bullshit stunlock lasers and being given roughly 20 seconds to kill all of them before infinity ants/spiders/bees drown you while being bombarded by blue hectors that are also marching towards you and oh here are more drones is the first I've actually become frustrated at the game. My friends and I(Air Raider, Fencer, Ranger, Wing Diver/Ranger) are getting overwhelmed by the initial waves before we even start working on the hives.

Seriously, on Hard with 2.2k armor as an Air Raider I'm nearly dying before my vehicle even arrives, and by the time the vehicle arrives I'm up to my rear end in a top hat in bugs that kill any vehicle I bring instantly anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

stop stop I can only get so erect

Do you have any turrets unlocked? You can put those out to keep the insects at bay just a little longer to give you more time to deal with the drones.

I actually tried that, but even the max level turrets allowed by the mission run out of ammo so quickly that once they go empty I'm stuck with my dick in my hands on a 20 second reload while the swarm kills everyone.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

Probably the hardest mission in the game, you need some good teamwork. Aggro 1 nest at a time so you don't get overwhelmed, cause once you attack the ant hills in the middle you get a bunch of gold/silver bugs to deal with. I always found it easiest to take out the drones and hectors first, then the nests left to right

Taking out the drones, the initial bug wave, and the hectors first is the problem. We're not even making it to attacking the hives. :smith:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

You guys low on armor? You'll need some decent AA for the drones, their lasers are almost impossible to get away from. And that's not even the hardest part of that mission either. You might have to switch difficulties to stock up on weapons and armor

I've got 2.2k on the air raider, our fencer has ~3k. Our rangers are low.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

It's either hacking the little light that says "SATELLITE: FIRE IT NOW" and the person who then hits the button gets real excited or you hack the satellite and then the person in charge of doing it at base goes "what the heck, might as well do it properly! MAX POWER!"

Satellite Blaster lady is the most adorably enthusiastic EDF member. "Whoa whoa whoa wait somebody's hacking into this to use it? Holy gently caress yes! BURN IT ALL TO GLASS! FIRE UNTIL IT MELTS! :black101:"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVjQ2lVM10

This video's fantastic and I'm kinda wondering how it was even made. Are there some secret mod tools somewhere or can you really make a siren boomerang with just Cheat Engine?

Oh my god, I loving lost it. Tears rolling down my cheeks.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

It made healing weapons and the Air Raider useful.

Both of those things own already, though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

If you say so.

Life Pod guns are super useful in multiplayer to keep rez chains going when life pickups are being stingy, and vehicles are fantastically powerful for certain things. A Naegling on a hill a ways away from a fight can kill drones/bees/small dragons en masse while the Air Raider's teammates deal with land-based threats, for example, railgun tanks are death to large single targets like hectors and giant dragons, and the artillery pattern Vegaltas are basically walking spammable nuclear strikes against massed bugs. Certain air strikes trivialize many mission objectives completely safely; Satellite Blasters can kill dropships and bug hives effortlessly from long range and recharge nearly instantly with your teammates killing some random ants.

Air Raiders are a poo poo solo class, though. I'm hoping they fix stuff like the wire guns and the limpet launchers to not be a pathetic joke so the class has some personal firepower. Hmm, am I going to spend a slot on a lovely limpet launcher that can't kill a red ant in three reloads, or am I going to bring another Satellite Blaster?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dash Cancelling is a cool mechanic but it needs to not be coupled to specific weapon types because it sort of sucks poo poo to have to bring a spear/javelin or spear/shield setup in half your slots for the class to even be playable. I'd love if they retained the mechanic but decoupled it from weapons in general somehow.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

No I'm just repeating what I've read the developers say explicitly about their game, sorry if that's unrealistic to you?

EDF4 has been re-released twice now and this 'glitch' somehow remains, funny that.

Yeah, there's absolutely no way it isn't an intentional feature. Fencer's normal movement speed is so slow as to be literally completely useless without dash canceling, and while I can accept EDF being janky enough to make specific vehicles be awful and unusable, I can't accept an entire class being designed that way intentionally.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

That is why it has the highest armor rating.

Armor in this game is about as much protection as tinfoil against a hurricane and it only really matters against incidental chip damage if you're playing with the default multiplayer armor limit activated; the primary method of survival is simply not getting hit in the first place, either by killing everything before it can threaten you or by evasive action. A fencer getting 50% more hp than a ranger due to a higher armor rating is functionally meaningless because both of you are going to die in one hit from a gold ant or a giant dragon breath.

The best example of how relatively useless armor is is watching how fast Air Raider vehicles with tens of thousands of armor die when exposed to damage.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

that would be why i don't like inferno. it is no fun to die if you mess up once.

Honestly this happens with reasonable armor values even on Hardest. An Air Raider with ~4k armor(about two playthroughs worth with a significant amount of brute force/crimson farming on the side) gets blown out almost immediately by any real damage that isn't "random chips from flying drones".

I guess you can tank some stuff if you turn off the armor limit and cheat engine or AFK farm yourself an insane amount of armor, but with the multiplayer armor limit and without doing AFK farming you're very much dependent on evasion and positioning to live against real threats.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

limited posted:

That's the worst thing about playing on console. No cheat engine. :negative: They've made the same mistake for every single game so I don't think it's likely to change any time soon.

It's a shame, because the way EDF handles armor and weapon drops is pretty much the only horrible thing about it but it's unfortunately a pretty major part. Hell, keeping the current system but making it so you auto-grab every box on the map when the mission ends would already be an ENORMOUS step forward.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Christ, it's going to be agony to last the 6-9 months this is going to take to come west.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

There is hope for Fencers after all. Air Raiders are now the slowest class despite being lightly armed.

This is worrying, especially coupled with vehicles apparently costing a lot more to summon in. Air Raider has always been very powerful but absolutely loving pitiful at defending itself, so now being the slowest class and having to wait even longer for vehicle call-ins makes me worried they're going to be serious deadweight.

An increased focus on air strikes doesn't fill me with confidence, given that in previous games air strikes were generally slow, cumbersome, imprecise, and occasionally outright dangerous to use(whoops, sorry that my air strike blew those gold ants on top of us, guys). There were a few incredibly good exceptions(Satellite Blaster, for example), but even the exceptions tended to be hyper-specialized and not useful for general enemy fighting; that was the province of the vehicles.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 15, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

fritz posted:

Also at least some of them are reloadable like a regular weapon, here's someone playing raider on L4 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01BNP771GY

:smith:

This looks horribly awkward and it takes him an absolute eternity to build up the points to summon one lovely Nyx that appears to be on track to piss out its entire ammo supply in 20 seconds of fighting. The Satellite Blaster looks like it's still on point buy as well, with the lovely mundane barrages(well, more like single shots) being on standard reload.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

This lines up with my experience pretty much perfectly. The Fencer is never the best at any one thing(besides having the most armor), but they are the ultimate switch hitters and have an order of magnitude more flexibility than any of the other classes. This is super helpful in Hardest and Inferno, where someone making a mistake or a freak accident(NPC wandering in front of an explosive weapon being fired, for example) can throw the mission into a spiral that can be hard to escape from; Fencers excel in salvaging that situation. They can take over bug kiting duties, they can provide long range fire support, they can use their incredible speed and armor values to be the resurrection medic, etc.

I feel a lot safer with a good fencer in a team. I don't think more than one is best simply because other classes perform their specializations better, but flexibility is a power all of its own.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that video is of a giant enemy with its weak spot on the bottom so there go air strikes. again.

Maybe the Satellite Blaster will work like EDF 4.1 and just clip through armor to hit weak points.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bring that stupidly large missile you can control on the fly and direct it to its rear end.

The target steering call-ins like that and the Lionic were always comically useless. "Hell yeah, I spent 15 minutes guiding this missile to blow up this hector/deroy! Now all I need to do is wait 10 minutes for my teammates to kill enough guys so I can do it again!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

HolyKrap posted:

hey its still march for another 4 minutes
there's 2 dates on there anyway, 4/1 and 4/11

Japan is 13 hours ahead of US EST. It's been April Fool's there for half a day.