Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Storm One posted:

That spreadsheet seems to be for EDF4, not 4.1. Try this, you can set to English: http://weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/
I've been grinding some Inferno missions, don't get your hopes up yet but I don't recall getting anything lower than lv50s while grinding missions 61 and 86.

I wasn't really paying attention to this, just fast forwarding throught the results screen but I'll do so for the next few days.
Thanks for that link. Yeah, that spreadsheet I linked earlier was for EDF 4. I didn't play 4.1 so did not know if the map order and weapon drops changed any since then.

Gamerofthegame posted:

The Fencer is in fact awful, it gets props mostly for being able to cheese inferno stuff by reflecting shots back for hella damage.

and that's it

(Sigh) haters gonna hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ChickenHeart posted:

Look, if leaping off a skyscraper to spar with Hectors while dual-wielding pneumatic fists is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

You can leap off skyscrapers in the sequel, but you have to vary your weapons.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 18, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Storm One posted:

That spreadsheet seems to be for EDF4, not 4.1. Try this, you can set to English: http://weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/
I've been grinding some Inferno missions, don't get your hopes up yet but I don't recall getting anything lower than lv50s while grinding missions 61 and 86.

I wasn't really paying attention to this, just fast forwarding throught the results screen but I'll do so for the next few days.

I will not shut up about it, Hard difficulty has the coolest drop ratios for actually trying to get new guns that are not the very few Hardest/Inferno exclusive which you will never, ever see trying to farm Crimson on Inferno because they simply will not exist on the drop table.

For example, do you really want the Goliath Z? Play mission 86 and up on hard, and only three rocket launchers are in the drop pool until the final level. While on Hardest you will still have babies very first Goliath launcher in the drop table ALL GAME.

Hard difficulty actually has a sane minimum/maximum mission you can see weapons at threshold, starting out strong with level 10 weapons minimum, and then forgetting level 10 weapons exist by mission 4. This also cuts down on the RNJesus of trying to get new gear, as there is just simply less weapons in the drop pool at any given mission. Meanwhile you're seeing level zero equipment until mission 44 on hardest.

Of course, you can't really take the most advantage of this until you have cleared the game at least once so you can cherry pick missions. But it helps cut down on the trash loot when playing through the game for the first time if you have scraped up enough health to survive hard.

That link is a pro click and what I was using myself. The engrish "view spawn mission info" button is the toggle to show the missions particular weapons will drop on.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 18, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks for this. It's nice to know it's not just me. And thanks for the spreadsheet, too, nnnotime; maybe knowing where/when/how to grind will help. (Any suggestions for good things to shoot for still in Normal?)

For what it's worth, to the folks talking about reflecting shots - I think there must be some damage- vs. health-scaling thing going on, because I reflected plenty of shots back at the Hectors on Normal and it didn't do poo poo (as best I could tell; there were a lot of explosions going on at the time).

Edit: Oh yeah - is there anything to being fast with the Fencer other than Boost Dash + Shield-cancelling? It seems good, but it doesn't seem "better than Wing Diver good"...

couple of things:

hectors are not the best thing to be reflecting because their weapons are actually not that damaging. couple that with their tendency to bend when hit and you will not actually wear them down that much. compare this to an ant's acid or a spider's webbing and you will feel the difference big time.

also, your gut is correct: as the difficulty scales, enemy health will go up, but it will go up far slower than enemy damage. on inferno, reflecting a web blast will kill not just the idiot who sprayed it, but the two idiots next to/behind him as well.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Storm One posted:

So right now there's either a glitch or a WD engine that straight up allows infinite air time while still firing the big plasma launcher. I was told to YT it for instructions, anyone know anything?
Figured it out: equip a weapon with large kickback, point down, repeat until enough height, then fly around with L3 boosts that spend less energy than gets recharged.

It's like fencer dash-canceling but 1000x better. It's... kind of broken actually, I wonder if it'll get patched?

Anecdote time: I farmed mission 100 a handful of times and not once got a weapon below lv70, so far so good re: tighter drop ranges.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow mission 39 of EDF5 is some bullshit. Nothing to do but destroy nine or so carriers over an empty field, and after carefully whittling away enemies and destroying eight of them I realize the ninth one is just ever so slightly higher in the sky and just out of range of my rifle.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow mission 39 of EDF5 is some bullshit. Nothing to do but destroy nine or so carriers over an empty field, and after carefully whittling away enemies and destroying eight of them I realize the ninth one is just ever so slightly higher in the sky and just out of range of my rifle.

Isn't that what rockets are for?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

The DPS of the G&M type assault rifles is nuts at medium-long range compared to a rocket launcher. So far it had been all I needed to wreck carriers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
How much customizing can you do with adding abilities to Fencers? Is it based on equipment like Rogue Legacy or other side-scrollers?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

This is the ironic hell of which I both adore Rangers forever, and resent their options for long range being "Sniper rifle with a 50 foot range" up through "I have the longest range sniper rifle in the game!.... I still have to walk closer to the dropship/earth eaters to hit them with it"

Then I play another class and all sins of "I had to bring a rocket launcher" are forgiven because gently caress yeah infinity range rocket launchers from the ground floor regardless of what it's item level is.

It's also part of why I wish Ranger just straight up had a 3rd real weapon slot. Fencers get 4 slots. Wing Divers can fly. Air raiders with their quirks still get a direct phone line to WHALE. Ranger could use the variety, and "Now you have a slot for motorcycles and other 'worse than air raider' options" just does not go far enough.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 22, 2017

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Section Z posted:

This is the ironic hell of which I both adore Rangers forever, and resent their options for long range being "Sniper rifle with a 50 foot range" up through "I have the longest range sniper rifle in the game!.... I still have to walk closer to the dropship/earth eaters to hit them with it"

Then I play another class and all sins of "I had to bring a rocket launcher" are forgiven because gently caress yeah infinity range rocket launchers from the ground floor regardless of what it's item level is.

It's also part of why I wish Ranger just straight up had a 3rd real weapon slot. Fencers get 4 slots. Wing Divers can fly. Air raiders with their quirks still get a direct phone line to WHALE. Ranger could use the variety, and "Now you have a slot for motorcycles and other 'worse than air raider' options" just does not go far enough.
I like that 3-slots idea for the Ranger. Or perhaps after they kill a wave of enemies they can optionally call for an air-supply drop with replacement weapons once or twice a map.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

nnnotime posted:

I like that 3-slots idea for the Ranger. Or perhaps after they kill a wave of enemies they can optionally call for an air-supply drop with replacement weapons once or twice a map.

I want to be able to bring comedy hand grenades and healing super soakers without giving up a real gun the entire class hinges on, yes.

While I will fully admit air raider can be super awkward, and often practically hosed over depending on the level gimmicks. It's just not the same complaining you brought a forcefield generator instead of a gun, when doing so from the inside of a railgun tank or gold plated robot spider.

Unrelated, I hope it turns out in EDF5 that Normal difficulty/first half of Hard shotguns don't take several decades to reload. They take so goddamned long to be consistently relevant in 4.1, at which point they 180 into being something super fun and effective. See also, lock on launchers. 10 locks.... 10 locks, that are slightly faster firing but no damage increase! And that's if for normal difficulty suckers. We're going to dangle the next better 30 lock on launcher with boosted damage over your head as being literally impossible to get in Normal.

Basically, it would be nice if Normal Difficulty Weapons didn't make you wait until you've beaten the game to reach "Well, this is ALMOST good now." in so many cases. Particularly with EDF 5 locking out hardest and up until you clear the game apparently.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 22, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Rangers get their own version of decoy, vehicles, sprint, heal their buddies, and the second highest armor. They can't be the best at everything, but they sure have a ton of options.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
There are two correct ways to Ranger: shotgun/rocket and sniper/sniper.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stampede XM/Fusion Blaster actually

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 22, 2017

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Alla y'all with Fencer control problems clearly didn't spend your teenage years playing the PSOne Armored Core games cause that poo poo was like coming home.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Alla y'all with Fencer control problems clearly didn't spend your teenage years playing the PSOne Armored Core games cause that poo poo was like coming home.
"Man, now that there are legs make these water missions are so much easier. I think I'll get fancy and use my shoulder cannon to take out the last flying enemy-" *Recoil shoves AC underneath the water, failing mission by default* :saddowns:

EDIT: Oh wait that was PS2 AC. I've honestly only gotten to play Phantasma for the PS1 games.

Zed Di Dragon
Feb 16, 2011

Section Z posted:

Ranger could use the variety, and "Now you have a slot for motorcycles and other 'worse than air raider' options" just does not go far enough.

Ranger vehicles go considerably further than just motorcycles. For one thing, he's the class that has railgun tanks and Brute, leaving Air Raider with no options left for sniping carriers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Rangers get their own version of decoy, vehicles, sprint, heal their buddies, and the second highest armor. They can't be the best at everything, but they sure have a ton of options.
So they can heal their buddies and use decoys without using up one of their two proper weapon slots now? That's nice. They have always had access to healing guns, but that needed a weapon slot for that which was the whole point of my concerns. Shared health from boxes was restricted to NPCs too if I recall right? so being told otherwise for that is also good to hear.

They have always had a variety of tools in their list, but the problem is every other class has even MORE variety than they do that they can equip themselves with at any given time. Fencer getting 4 weapons, Raider having cool tanks and orbital lasers +2 (admittedly weak) guns. Wing Divers being able to Fly on top of getting two weapon slots.

So being told "but they have options!... If you give up a rocket launcher for it that is." with 2 weapon slots and no other perks that applied to themselves or other players always rang hollow in 4.1, as straightforward as Rocket+Assault rifle being enough to handle literally every mission in the game was. And a 3rd slot for motorcycles that still leaves them with that problem would have sucked.

So if I'm wrong about my worries like you're saying, can't wait to shove the repair guns and wacky decoy launchers in my 3rd slot without giving up a shotgun for them :dance:

Zed Di Dragon posted:

Ranger vehicles go considerably further than just motorcycles. For one thing, he's the class that has railgun tanks and Brute, leaving Air Raider with no options left for sniping carriers.

Wait,wait. What? I may have been under the impression Ranger got basically second hand vehicles. But finding out the reason he has stuff like Railgun tanks because Air Raider no longer has them is just baffling :psyduck:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Dec 23, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't know if Ranger decoys use up a weapon slot so I would say it still does. They can heal their NPC buddies that are close by. They still have more options than Air Raiders in EDF5, who now act as slow ranged support.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbf the Air Raider did nick the Ranger's turrets and remove pre-spawned vehicles in the first place.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the big feature of ranger is that they get by far the best guns.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Some of the Air Raider's support attack calls are now so fast and accurate you might as well be firing them out of your own gun, so there's that.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Hello I bought this game for the fifth? time I think this Steam sale, what are the essential PC tweaks and such?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Minimal anti-aliasing so you can see the explosions go off as fast as they can kill you. I think there is a turn around speed option you can turn up to max with some non-projectile weapon and spin as fast as you can when surrounded.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
nice and also http://steamcommunity.com/id/d43m0n please add to save our mother earth from any alien attack

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miIbxJ-hkpM
They finally play as a group with a fourth later on. Most of them are close to the armor cap and don't die really quickly. Wing Divers are able to sing, decoys can be attached to other players to really annoy them, Air Raiders have what looks like four weapon slots including the bombardment option. The strategy guide comes out tomorrow and they are screaming at the pictures.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So apparently there's an auxillary thing that makes you lock on a single target with multi missile launchers which is huge. The MLRA might actually be good now. I am praying that there will be one for Fencer so he can actually use Haytals without the drat laser guide kit.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 27, 2017

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Scalding Coffee posted:

Air Raiders have what looks like four weapon slots including the bombardment option. The strategy guide comes out tomorrow and they are screaming at the pictures.
They do have four slots but bombardment is just a normal weapon same as always; it's vehicles that have their own dedicated slot.

Marogareh posted:

So apparently there's an auxillary thing that makes you lock on a single target with multi missile launchers which is huge. The MLRA might actually be good now. I am praying that there will be one for Fencer so he can actually use Haytals without the drat laser guide kit.
Yeah the Ranger multi-target thing is a big deal. No sign if there's such a thing for the Fencer but I doubt it; some weapons are still labeled as "laser guided only".

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 27, 2017

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
I live for these frame rates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smx6_twhWNg

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I hope there aren't any stages that make air raider useless due to story because those were the loving worst.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

I really love how it looks like you are actually apart of a army with massive tanks/mechs taking on the Ravagers instead of just one man/women carrying the whole load. Even if it just turns out to be mostly for show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Marogareh posted:

I hope there aren't any stages that make air raider useless due to story because those were the loving worst.

well, that video is of a giant enemy with its weak spot on the bottom so there go air strikes. again.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
At least you can still blow up the guns on the outer part. Ranger getting the railguns is such an rear end backwards step back since they already have the best snipers out of all classes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that video is of a giant enemy with its weak spot on the bottom so there go air strikes. again.

Maybe the Satellite Blaster will work like EDF 4.1 and just clip through armor to hit weak points.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Bring that stupidly large missile you can control on the fly and direct it to its rear end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Scalding Coffee posted:

Bring that stupidly large missile you can control on the fly and direct it to its rear end.

The target steering call-ins like that and the Lionic were always comically useless. "Hell yeah, I spent 15 minutes guiding this missile to blow up this hector/deroy! Now all I need to do is wait 10 minutes for my teammates to kill enough guys so I can do it again!"

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I think they changed the sniper limpet weapon to give air raider a better option for dropships. They no longer explode but instead deal direct a lot more direct damage to what it's stuck to.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Kanos posted:

The target steering call-ins like that and the Lionic were always comically useless. "Hell yeah, I spent 15 minutes guiding this missile to blow up this hector/deroy! Now all I need to do is wait 10 minutes for my teammates to kill enough guys so I can do it again!"

Bonus points for a spider jumping in front of you just before it would hit causing the missile to redirect into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

This is a big part of why in 4.1 I wildly spiraled between intense jealousy of Air Raider, and saying "Oh thank Christ I'm not Air Raider, wowie zowie" when doing casual PC multiplayer.

Stealing their railgun tanks is a dick move to throw in on top. Though at least Rangers could pretend to be generous sharing them "Here, you use the railgun tank that can't aim at an extreme angle enough to hit the target directly above us. I'll hop out on foot with my rocket launcher I'm allowed to angle however the gently caress I want."

Seriously, one of the first brainship levels in that giant pit in 4.1 I recall having to call out advice for where an air raider would even be allowed to have a shot angle at the thing. Railgun tanks are loving sweet, but dealing with the more extreme firing angles is always a bastard.

Hopefully Air Raiders still have the cool as gently caress multi missile lock on launcher tanks that are so good even NPCs will wreck poo poo with them in dragon swarm missions. That was one gently caress of a change in 4.1 compared to original in one mission.