Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
And if you're using Cheat Engine to boost your pickup count, it affects all players, so don't use it in multiplayer unless you just got the game for your little brother and you wanna tear poo poo up together without him grinding for hours. Air Raiders are a lot more fun when you can paint targets for huge Fencer missiles :allears:.

I love this stupid game and its Sega arcade sound effects and Time Crisis-as-gently caress voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

j5mello posted:

So I've found this video that looks like the presentation D3/Sandlot gave at TGS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfkQeuCIlRA

Starting around 6 minutes right after they show the Wing Diver slide, the hostess seems to ask whoever the dev is about the classes.

He proceeds to hold up for fingers and the hostess seems happy so.... 4 classes confirmed?

Can't wait to play as a Flair Raider.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

They better refer to them as "frog-like giant insects."

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

EDF's crazy radio drama style is endearing.

I love/want to punch Professor Ohara.

But, it is not a problem. :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, Fencers are fast as gently caress if you have a shield and melee weapon in one slot, and those are fun weapons to use, too. Air Raiders can get around quickly depending on which vehicle they bring along. Rangers are slow, but if you work with an Air Raider they can drop you speedy toys.

My favorite Fencer loadout is melee weapons in one slot, and the high altitude missiles in the other on both shoulders. Makes me feel like I'm playing Armored Core again.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

You two should buy it and play it together.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I think it would be a shame if you refused to play this hella fun game because a thread didn't get some posts.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

Ohara is my favorite person because of how he's simultaneously a genius scientist who can come up with theories about the motives of inscrutable aliens and someone who is completely and totally flabbergasted at the concept of flying bugs.

But, it is not a problem. :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

People with EDF5: please tell me the frogs are referred to as "frog-like giant insects" :pray:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

a7m2 posted:

I don't think so. They're called Colonists.

poo poo!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Really Pants posted:

some more hot Shadow of New Despair takes: missiles are overrated and hand grenades are underrated

Missiles look way cooler, though.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

HolyKrap posted:

I completely forgot about that. It just kinda popped up on steam a couple days before release didn't it?
We at least got a little bit of a heads up if you were willing to believe the steamdb leak was true, where the game was listed as "Earth Defense Forth 4.1"

Earth Defense Forth-Point-One.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

OP silly poo poo is fun.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

As a PC gamer, I demand the opportunity to shoot frog-like giant insects :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Marogareh posted:

Can't believe how much they fixed my boy Fencer. His slow as gently caress rate of fire on a lot of his weapons are so drat fast now and you can upgrade the how fast the initial hit on spears fire. Being able to dash multiple times in a row is a godsend too. His cool rear end missiles are still locked behind a laser guide kit though which pisses me off.

Aww man, that was so annoying in 4.1. You can only nag your little brother to be your laser monkey so many times.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

And I think the tradeoff was that it provided a slower lock speed or something.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

That's way too logical for this series.

Just make them missiles with drillbits on top.

God damnit now I'm mad this isn't the case.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Tellaris posted:

One of the missions where you fight nothing but bees, an EDF trooper yells, "Here comes those birdlike creatures!" so uh...

Birdlike giant insects with stingers are no joke.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

O'Hara was the heart and soul of 4.1.

But, it is not a problem :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EDF! EDF!! EDF!!!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Two legs, two arms, two eyes... They look just like us.

I'm still a bit bummed that they didn't describe them at "frog-like giant insects", but this will do :lol:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Can't play until I get home :argh:. Do Fencers still require laser support to use the big, stupid missiles? That always annoyed me in 4.1.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I've only seen the base Leviathan, but it does require an Air Raider's laser.

Man, just lemme carry my own designator around you jerks :argh:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

*An alien ship the size of New York descends over the city*

"Is this a terrorist attack?"

"Sir, it must be aliens!"

"This is no time for jokes!!!"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Kanos posted:

This is correct. EDF 4/4.1's EDF is even stupider when you realize that they had already survived an alien invasion and had 7 years of prep for the new one.

But, it is not a problem :smug:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Oh my god Air Raiders are SO MUCH BETTER now!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

is whale's gunner still really good

Oh my god yes it is.

e: wow I must've left this tab open a long time ago.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Morter posted:

Never thought I'd consider a vanity/beautiful shot in this game...but the melancholy of being the last survivor after Beta monsters ate all my friends and razed half the city...

:gbsmith:

We won! We'll win the next one, too!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Helicopters in EDF are somehow harder to fly than helicopters in turbonerd flight sims.

Spritefall lady is Rita Repulsa and I love her.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

Replaying on hardest difficulty and hoping to get guns worth a drat is somewhat frustrating. The hardest part so far is trying to keep focused and not close my eyes and sigh heavily every time I hear "THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! TWO EYES, TWO HANDS!" in the Colonist introduction missions.

I love my EDF brethren but... we really need to raise our hiring standards a little.

Nobody in their right mind would voluntarily ride a Free Bike.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I'm enjoying an all-purpose Fencer loadout of spine driver/automatic shotgun, and tower shield/30mm cannon, plus jump and dash boosters. Dart around making hit-and-run attacks with the former group, stand ground and snipe frogs or teleportation ships with the latter.

Also, that one super wide open mission, like 36 or something, is a wonderful showcase for the Air Raiders. After beating it with Fencer, I switched to AR armed with Spritefall and two bombing runs, and was able to cycle between them all nonstop while hiding behind the EDF forces. Jesus, Air Raiders can do some insane poo poo when the enemy is kept at bay.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My one beef so far with Air Raider is that the beacon ranges are very short so far, so I have to get fairly close to things, unless I just use bombing runs and the 1400m range Spritefall. Hopefully I'll get some upgrades to give the cannon beacons 400m or so range.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Dash-jumping to a grey and jackhammering it to death feels so loving good.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Blowing limbs off giant humanoid aliens is way more satisfying to me than the Hector dance. All like gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The debut of potato bugs made me very happy that my default loadout includes a tower shield and a piercing hand cannon. Also, I just got the 42-ammo jackhammer :swoon:.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I like taking Spritefall back to early missions where you're a civilian, and the wicked witch lady is really confused about you having access to it.

Also, I love the general idea that the EDF air force receives air raid commands from a civilian, and just shrug their shoulders and drop bombs. Must be an emergency, right?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4yjGyS6Z-4 I am reborn in the fire, stronger, harder.

Just use Cheat Engine at that point :psyduck:. Unless you're on PS4, I guess.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Intel Lady is no Ohara but 'WE GET A HUGE CRANE AND SMASH IT' is pretty good.

I adore Ohara, but I like how Intel Lady is also an absurd EDF weirdo, but in a more deadpan way. Her early bit on the downsides of tactical nuke strikes is one of my favorite EDF lines ever. Also, the monsters appear to be teleported from the ship. We will call this technology, "teleportation." The ships will be called "teleportation ships." Thanks, EDF Intel!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Plain of conflict? Mission 38 offline. And yeah, on hard difficulty solo, the npcs basically stomp everything. Even on hardest, you just need to kill/distract/disrupt the frogs, especially the two flankers, and you're good. Even on Inferno, if you carry your weight, it's free loot. Cheat engine loot radius script required to get all the drops, though, running it between waves otherwise you will hit the loot cap several times.

The air raider bombing run showcase map :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I also like that mission because the Naegling thingy is actually useful, between the wide open space and having a bunch of NPC's to hide behind. Makes it easy to mop up the drones.