Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

general chaos posted:

So this game has been out in Japan for months now. What was the reaction by the fans / general gaming populace?

I know in the old thread a bunch of people imported it, and everyone seemed to love it.

For some reason I didn't think this was coming out until summer, so the fact that it's coming out in two weeks has me ecstatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
IGN did a series of videos on this last week. The first two are missing the in game sound for some reason.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEQTYAb0vjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBREc2RrBYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nICGuSFQEGk

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

Background guy sounded way more knowledgeable about the game than the product manager, who was clearly looking at notes, did.

Yeah that kind of drove me nuts. I swear there's a point where they stop and google something about the game.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

Have some more footage and comparisons to earlier EDF titles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQEgK2-oc0g

Sweet, they brought back the ability to paint your troopers. You can also have separate colors for your helmet and your body now which is nice.

Netflix

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Drakenel posted:

So hey, the game is coming out in ten days. I figure at least the 360 goons should have a metatag to find each other quickly.

For the uninitiated, basically you send a friend request to the metatag and when you want a game, you just view friends on it to find other jerkasses playing the game.

Not sure what to call it though. I could go with the lazy GoonDefenseForce. Or I could go with PeopleEatingMonsters (With the bio as "we can't let them have their way")

Also "YOUGIANTCREATURE" and "ThrillingUndergroundExpedition" (I don't know if that'll fit)

I like PeopleEatingMonsters or YOUGIANTCREATURE the best.

Alternatively, FATTYKILLERS

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I did that whole facebook thing from edf2025.com and it is actually kinda cool, in a creepy way

havent seen the promo code for the level pack show up in my email yet >:(

Mine hasn't shown up either, but yeah it was a bit of surprise and kind of neat.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Douche4Sale posted:

Can the two split screen players go online and play with two other people?

Yup, I'm fairly certain they said this is possible.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Total Biscuit playing 2025 from back in September:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMGb5_8Rg1g

When you revive someone in multiplayer it splits your health down the middle and gives the fallen player half, so you at least won't be able to spam it to keep each other alive while being munched on by a swarm of ants.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

Isn't it the blow up doll in the OP?

Yeah, at least that's the picture amazon has up for it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

coyo7e posted:

So I tried to do the facebook thing to get a code and shared it to FB and sent a couple emails to different accounts, and nothing. Anybody get theirs? :(

They're not getting sent out until the promotion is over.

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I've been reading about EDF on here for a while, and I'm thinking about getting this new one for my son and I to play. He's been watching me play XCOM: EW and is all about killing aliens.

That said, the "M" rating gives me pause. Is it just for comically plentiful alien blood, or does the game get really gruesome or have really strong language? I wanna waste some invaders with my kid, but not if it will warp his young mind!

I looked it up on the ESRB site and it's just for the blood, since humans bleed some now. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if someone on the rating board saw the way the bugs savage civilians now (they maul them on the ground and throw them in the air like in Starship Troopers) and decided to err on the side of caution.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I played for awhile last night, and it's everything I wanted it to be. Big, dumb, loud, and ridiculous. I fiddled around with Ranger for a bit, but gave up on it after I kept getting screwed on weapon drops and went a half dozen rounds without getting a new weapon, so I was basically stuck with the starting loadout and bunch of useless gimmick weapons like the torch and proto-reverser.

I switched to the Air Raider after that and had even more fun. I was getting new toys at fairly steady rate which confirmed my suspicions that I was getting screwed when I was playing as a Ranger. It's just a blast cruising around in a MBT acting as a mobile artillery, calling in neighborhood leveling airstrikes, loading up Fencers in my APC and doing my damndest to drift it around every corner between us and the next firefight, and sniping bugs with remote charges all while looking like a dime store Boba Fett. My biggest bonehead moments of the night where miss judging the throw distance on a howitzer bombardment and planting it right smack dab in the middle of the other players, and jamming my freshly spawned Vegalta in between two skyscrapers 30 feet off the ground with out an explosive weapon in my inventory.

The best thing about EDF though, is it's a budget title that elicits all the same thrills, chills, and spills that some companies spend a quarter billion dollars and decades of manpower trying to achieve with precision designed set pieces.

Also, can someone explain what they mean by reflect when talking about the Fencer's dash cancel? Do you just mean block with it, or is there some other move I'm not aware of? I tried doing it last night, but I don't think I got it to work, or at least I didn't notice any speed difference with what I was using.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I unlocked the helicopter for the Air Raider and palled around with a pubbie Wing Diver for 10 or so missions, and holy poo poo! We had a fairly similar dynamic that the power suits have with the ground units, except far more mobile. We were unleashing so much carnage so fast we'd actually have to stop and screw around so the other people playing with us could get a chance to catch up and have some fun.

I even managed to shoot down a UFO with my heli which was pretty good feeling.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
AIR RAID BANZAI!!

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Fencer is so much fun, but does he only dash horizontally if in combat or am I missing something?

You have to have a melee weapon equipped. If you have a gun selected you'll just hop up in the air.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Enemy HP definitely increases, at least in some ways, the more people you have. Which is honestly a good thing I think. If it didn't then a single Wing Diver or Fencer could easily blast through a lot of levels while everyone else still back at the start holding their puds.

Also I heard this last night:

"Don't be stupid and get yourself hurt!"
"Let's hope it goes that well!" :haw:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Section Z posted:

Is it me, or do headshots against a hector do no extra damage? Or if so, not enough to make a difference without some crazy strong and accurate gun to be worth the effort. Around mish 15 or 16 I got the first One Shot, 500 Damage sniper rifle for the Ranger. Three shots kills the bombardment hectors regardless of shooting them only in the head when it pops up, mix of head and body, or three body shots.

Still even if it makes no difference,it is a hell of a lot more satisfying :zaeed:

Edit: Of course the next one takes FOUR body shots to explode. Guess those headshots do save a little time after all. Then again, three body shots and a spray from my assault rifle also takes em down.

EDIT Two: I also just learned that the shield bearer domes only protect aliens from the air strike :downs: I thought I could hide inside it killing hectors while the bombs fell but nope. Clever giant insects.

I'm pretty sure the only locational damage in the game is the big red flashy shoot here parts on things like UFOs and the three-legged walkers leg segments. That's how it was in 2017 at least. Some of those hectors may have taken a little bit of damage from NPC troopers or something.

I hopped in a Gigantus after kind of forgetting about them after using the starting one for a bit, and they really are lean mean fighting machines. They're so nimble and quick aiming compared to everything else I've been using as the Air Raider I was just zipping around popping bees out of the sky without a care.

Also, the Titan is ridiculous. I could barely see to aim the aim the thing, and I was nearly in tears from laughing so hard when I finally pulled the trigger.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I unlocked the Blasthole Mk 2, and it was tough giving up the mobility of the Spine Driver, but being able to harpoon those red fuckers out of the sky is a pretty good feeling.

Also this game lets me jump 30 feet in the air and bop a dragon in the snoot with my gigantic extendo-robo-fist, and that's just awesome.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Izno posted:

I did have one question though, what's with the web gun on the air raider? It seems to do an insane amount of mystery damage if you connect with all of the webs. I'm not sure how much mystery damage but... it's alot of mystery damage

It does DOT, so if you connect with all the webs it will start to do pretty respectable damage. If you're fighting bugs with it aim for the back of the pack and let the webs drape over them then run back and forth to get everything you missed tangled up in it since the webs will stick to and damage any enemy they touch even if they're already attached to something. They're also great for getting some breathing room from troublesome Hectors, since the constant damage more or less stun locks them and they'll just keep backing away from you instead of trying to shoot.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Zero Star posted:

Eurogamer.de's review is out and is one of the better examples of gaming journalism that I've seen in years

That's seriously the greatest review I've read in my life.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I finally finished my first playthrough. It took me awhile because I kept going back and playing as the different classes. I spent the most time as a Fencer and the Air Raider, but all of them are a joy to play in their own way. I love how the game has a completely different feel depending on what class you play. It's just refreshing when a lot of game's classes consist of a few variations of the same basic soldier archetype with maybe a unique item or damage resistance or something. Trying to play the same way as different classes in this game is just a good way to end up dead, or at least horribly squander your real potential.

The final level was intense. Actually the entire last leg of the game gets pretty intense. It loves making you think you've one, then going "nah we're just getting started."

The very best thing about the game though is the absolutely everything! I could write pages on everything I love about it. It's the most fun I've had with a video game in awhile.

Favorite trooper dialogue I heard:
Everything any of them had to say about the dragons. "We don't need any enchanted sword!" "Yeah! Guns are the best!"

Most depressing trooper dialogue I heard:
"My family was my life, and you stole that from me!:(

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Dantes posted:

Online the threat is not the damage the bugs will do to you, it's the friendly fire.

This makes up at least half of my deaths as a wing diver. Usually it's some giant gently caress off missile(s) that somebody fired off 30 seconds ago, and finally show up when I'm in the middle of doing my thing. The other half is me miss judging the explosive radius on a plasma launcher or grenade and going in to low for run only to blow myself up.

Oh and sorry everything was such a mess last night G.I. Jose. That's was honestly the most issues I've had with the game. There were some pretty nasty storms going on in my area last night so I'm hoping they were just borking with my internet and it'll be better next time.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

FuSchnick posted:

S'ok. The problems seemed to be all network related.

Your completion percentage and armor levels seem kind of high for someone working on Hard still. Did you grind a lot of the easier difficulties first?

I kept restarting on Normal to play as the different classes.

EDIT: And a lot of the time when I couldn't find anyone on the level I was on I'd join up with people who were a few missions before or so before it. I think that probably added up to a lot of grinding on missions I'd already completed.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 3, 2014

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I'm a bit disappointed that no one ever sees fit to join me in a good ol' fashion "Waaaaagh!" when we go charging in.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

nnnotime posted:

I remember now that HG Wells movie adaptation of, "The Food of the Gods", had giant rats and giant wasps attacking people. I wonder if there is any influence on the EDF games from either the HG Wells books or from the movies from the 1970's, since giant ants and wasps are so prominently featured?

I think there's a reference to "Them!", which is about the military fighting giant ants in the southwest United States, at the very beginning of the game when they're talking about the last of the giant insects being wiped out in America.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
A squad of wing divers in an underground level is basically that scene from 2001 with a chorus of anime girls screaming EDF in the background.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

Language probably, EDF soldiers swear.

Yeah, I don't if they added that or not, but I don't remember the soldiers calling the bugs "You fuckers!" before.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Obsurveyor posted:

I didn't remember that from 2025 on the PS3 either but I went and looked and that version has the M rating too. Maybe because of civilians getting bitten and all the blood spray that happens?

That's it. I looked it up on the ESRB site and it's the gallons of bug juice spraying everywhere. So, just the ESRB being weird.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

I've never heard that in any EDF game at all, and haven't yet with the few hours I've put in.

Is there a way to change the audio commands on the touchpad quick select? I just want the entire song and "EDF!" chants.

I also love how this is a 1080p/60FPS remaster but they basically used the extra power to say "yeah let's chuck more bugs in" and frame-rate tanking is still as much a part of the experience as ever :allears:

It was part of a longer dialogue. It's entirely possible I misheard them, but I don't know what the heck else they could be saying.

Also, I'm disappointed that my teammates never join me in a WAAAGH!, but pleased that at least the NPC soldiers will.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo Mission 71 :stare:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

I, Butthole posted:

Sent you a friend request and will invite you to the group when I'm on next.

Mission 96 is such a goddamn wall.

The easiest way to do 96 is to take it slow. First take out the drones, then the robots, then the hills, then each of the hives in turn. The hives won't usually spawn anything usually unless you attack them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's some interesting stuff there. for starters, male wing divers, and their heavies can use guns while also keeping shields up.

Disappointed the male wing divers have their own suits instead of having to wear second hand titty armor