Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

ChickenHeart posted:

Played for about an hour; I'm relieved to say that the series' quality writing continues on in this sequel.

"UNLIKE MACHINES, LIVING CREATURES CAN REPRODUCE"

This is by far the most important feature of the franchise. "You've gained weight, that's why you can't fly so fast."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Conflicts should be resolved using dialogue.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Deakul posted:

Air Raider is probably my favorite class in the game, it's giving me the Mercenaries fix I always wanted and never got.(gently caress mercs2)

I want to love Wing Divers but god drat, all of the weapons I have so far are complete poo poo and favors such a short range or uses up such a stupid amount of energy that it renders the one part I like about her useless.(flying)

Wing Diver gets lovely tools a little late, after my first playthrough with Ranger on Normal there was a decent collection; Stardust Cannon is very nice point-blank against HUMANOID ALIENS.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
"I'll show you my techniques" says a Wing Diver while jumping in front of my collection of Thunder Crossbow 3 bolts.

It's a small wonder EDF actually had anyone left in the final battle.

Edit: also helpful tactical tips from the Sergeant: "Confirm the enemy's position with your eyes!"

Sandepande fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jul 18, 2019

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

:lol:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'll miss the mystery of GIANT MONSTERS though. What are those things!?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
What surprised me about EDF5 was how much camaraderie I felt with the radio VO's and the other soldiers on the field. They are so earnest.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Quote-Unquote posted:

The song in EDF5 is poo poo though.

I really can't see the difference in quality between 4.1 and 5, except WDs get to sing in 5, so it's already way better.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm counting on next summer.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I'm thinking positive thoughts and believing that EDF6 is released on Steam next summer just in time for my vacation.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Glorious.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I've never died from friendly fire. Unless I am myself considered friendly.

How friendly can fire be, anyway.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
They seem to have given the wing diver a pair of trousers.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
As long as I can stick with a proper trouser-wearing WD, I'm happy. Not a fan of the Japanese panty obsession.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Levantine posted:

That's pretty great for PC players! The game should just work like that, IMO. EDF is all about having fun and shooting bugs and the tedium of trying to keep an enemy alive while you run around and pick up colored boxes really clashes with that. It's really my only complaint about the series.

I can sort of understand the mechanic, it's very arcadey and when a weapon box drops within an easy reach, it's nice.

I'd replace it with end of mission rng. Or a bunch of item caches that you can destroy and get random poo poo.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Kanos posted:

Yep, that mod is completely pointless for anything other than solo AFK grinding.

I honestly can't imagine actually playing an EDF game all the way through solo. Multiplayer chaos and scaling is such a fundamental part of the experience for me that removing that would feel like the game was broken somehow.

Never done multiplayer on EDF, it's much better without random morons (including me).

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I have no interest in your reasonable and sensible views!

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Give me a new fantasy EDF that is available translated and for platforms I use.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Hello sadness my old friend.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
EDF5 is very earnest.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Air Raider 5 satellites do not harm UFOs. Otherwise it's muchly nicer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I like the 5's ensemble cast, and it generally conveys the hopeless situation better.

Also IA's marriage proposal is nice.