Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
I pre-ordered TWO copies of this back in July.

The wait is almost over...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Brackhar posted:

Any word on which console is the primary SKU? I'd imagine 360, but I honestly have no idea. The PAX demo was on 360.
EDF 2017 was a 360 exclusive, and 2025 is using the same engine. I haven't seen the game in person on either platform yet, but the youtube videos I've seen seem to agree that the PS3 version runs significantly worse.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

abraxas posted:

Okay guys, I've only ever played IA on Steam because I didn't own a 360 until June last year. After seeing everyone rave and love the poo poo out of EDF2017 I thought "hey, a EDF game I can actually play!" and bought it. I was extremely disappointed and wondered if you guys were all just insane or stupid or insanely stupid. I swore off EDF after just a couple of extremely boring and insanely ugly levels.

Now I own a 360 and through the power of this thread and its OP I just bought the On Demand version of EDF2017 for 15 Euros. I hope you won't let me down thread. I am putting all my hopes in this currently downloading game to properly prepare me for the masterpiece that EDF 2025 is hopefully gonna be.

I swear if this doesn't blow my old, bitter, jaded mind I will come from Germany to wherever y'all are and personally punch you in your collective dicks!
If you don't enjoy EDF2017 you should punch yourself in the dick.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Split screen is still "Man Mode" though.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

The important part is being able to punch the other player for friendly fire.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Douche4Sale posted:

Can the two split screen players go online and play with two other people?
On 360 yes. On PS3 no (unless they have patched it in since launch?)

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Detective No. 27 posted:

I played and loved IA but haven't played 2015. IA is fun as hell and I currently think all of you are crazy. I'll probably continue to think that until next week when I pick up 2025.
Once you play a REAL EDF, you will see how bad IA was.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Chainclaw posted:

The OP doesn't cover PS3 versus 360 features. Will the PS3 version of Earth Defense Force 2025 have everything the 360 version does? I would rather have it on that platform if it's comparable in features.
This is all information I've gotten from reading reviews and watching videos of others. Someone who already owns the PS3 version (like Saunders?) might be able to clarify if any of this has changed over time due to patches.

The PS3 version has a worse framerate, especially in split screen.
The PS3 version cannot combine split screen with online play, the 360 version can.
The PS3 version does not "sign in" the second account for split screen play, so the second player does not save progression for weapon unlocks etc. The 360 version tracks both players progression.

I'm not trying to dump on PS3 here, so if anyone has more accurate information feel free to correct me.

What I would like to know: Does this game have any equivalents to the Genocide guns? I haven't found an answer to this anywhere yet. The Japanese wiki is impenetrable to non-speakers.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

univbee posted:

To clarify, doing this with the 360 version would require both accounts to have Gold, correct?
I don't actually know. It depends on how the developers implemented it.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

In Insect Armageddon, you could bring in a guest via split screen with online players. Only the primary player needed Xbox Live Gold.

This may be different in 2025, but if they're using the same engine, I don't see why it would be different.
They aren't. IA was different developers and (I'm pretty sure) a different engine.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Hog Butcher posted:

If you see the PS3 having framerate issues, compare with the 360.

There is no EDF game that doesn't have massive framedropping, with Global Defense Force being the extreme example with like 8FPS during the first level.
EDF always has frame drops, and this is a game where the gameplay is locked to framerate, so the slowdowns actually *help* with dealing with overwhelming odds. But too much of it can still be irritating.

I don't know how 2025 handles it. I have not played the game yet on either system, so I'm only going off of what I've heard people say in multiple videos and commentaries. Just about everyone has mentioned that the PS3 frame rates are worse, but nobody has said that it is gamebreaking.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

coyo7e posted:

FuShnick, what about that change to gold accounts tied to a console? Has that not gone live yet, or was it only for XBones?
That's an XBone thing. 360 still behaves the way it used to.

It is really going to depend on whether or not the game devs use the "Allow guest accounts" code path for setting up multiplayer. Someone with the Japanese 360 version might be able to answer this, but since it was region-locked I don't know any english-speakers who have talked about it in that level of detail yet.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Abusing my Behind-the-Curtain privileges, I see that the 360 version is considered a separate TitleID from the Japanese one, so I don't expect them to be compatible.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Anaranjado posted:

Any idea if this will be downloadable on the xbox? Or is it retail only for the moment
I think it will be downloadable on the 18th. But I can't find any official statement on it yet.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

ShredsYouSay posted:

I hope it's still faster to roll over and over again at a 45 degree angle than to actually run directly to your destination.
It is. Just like it is faster as a fencer to do boost/shield cancelling.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Some folks are starting to put up Youtube vids of the English version. Man, the voice acting is everything I ever hoped it would be.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

The usual time is 9:00 AM GMT. There may be up to an hour delay for it to work through content caches though.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

So this DID show up on 360 Games on Demand today. Also, the Fencer and Wing Diver weapon packs are free.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Capoeira Capybara posted:

I've been reading about EDF on here for a while, and I'm thinking about getting this new one for my son and I to play. He's been watching me play XCOM: EW and is all about killing aliens.

That said, the "M" rating gives me pause. Is it just for comically plentiful alien blood, or does the game get really gruesome or have really strong language? I wanna waste some invaders with my kid, but not if it will warp his young mind!
Based on EDF 2017 (and it looks like 2025 won't be any worse): Lots of alien blood. I don't think there is any human blood/dismemberment. All the bad guys are bugs or machines (or dragons now I guess). Lots of shouting and screaming, but no cursing. The voice-overs are really cheesy (deliberately so). The game looks and feels like old Japanese sci-fi B movies.

I played all of EDF 2017 co-op with my 10-year old son, and it was a blast. Probably the best time we have ever had in co-op games. Now I'm waiting for the UPS truck to arrive so I can play again with him at 17 :3:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Air Raider is a really tough class to play without cooperation. Then I got a gun that shoots sticky webs like the jumping spiders do, and everything is awesome.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

univbee posted:

It does but only 1 player per console, you can't do split-screen and online, it's either/or.

The 360 will let you take two players on the same console (playing split screen) and connect online with others, although there are limits on storing progress for Player 2 (it saves on Player 1's save, might also only cash in achievements for Player 1?). Does anyone know if both players need Live Gold, or just one?
I *think* only Player 1 needs to have gold. I was playing with my kids last night, and player 2 would show up as "Player1Name(1)", which is usually indicative of using the "guest" multiplayer functionality that allows silver users to ride along. All of my kids have gold though (converted from a Family account), so I can't confirm that this is 100% true.

Also, playing split screen + online is annoying because the game has HUGE name indicators on your screen no matter where the other players are. In split screen, they can be really obscuring. I can't figure out how to turn that off, though I found an option that made it worse ("show gamertags -> on").

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

I can't seem to get the hang of dash cancelling with the fencer. Is it really just "dash reflect dash reflect"? That doesn't seem to work for me, using the starting shield/spear.

One glitch I have noticed, if you use the vertical boost in the tunnel levels and scrape your head against the ceiling, you can "stick" to the ceiling for a prolonged time and build up a lot of forward speed.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

You can deploy turrets while being mangled by an ant. Sometimes, this results in the turret being placed directly on top of the ant's head, and he becomes your mobile turret.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

limited posted:

Whoa. So busy playing Battlefield I almost missed this. Quick question though, is it like 2017 where you can just grind armour if you're having difficulty getting through a stage? I had a look at the quicklook on Giantbomb, and it looks like you have armour, and a health bar? :confused:
It's just like 2017.

The GB Quick Look was awful to watch. I can understand that not everyone enjoys this type of game, but to watch someone be so dismissive of it because he can't read words on the screen in front of him is just infuriating.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Gyoru posted:

Summary of hours long runs:

"Waaaaaah!"
"Wooooooah!"
How do you guys hammer out the emotes so fast? Are there shortcuts?

(I'm Stratowagon, and boy howdy do I like me some orbital strikes)

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Railgun tanks are absurdly powerful for their level. Makes up for their side guns being absurdly weak. But seriously, the railgun outperforms every other tank I've tried, even ones 20 levels higher. It has a fast, flat, super accurate trajectory and a laser targeting beam so you can actually aim properly.

A similar level Titan has more raw damage and blast radius, but the shots are super slow and hard to aim.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Brasseye posted:

Sniping a Retiarius off a skyscraper a mile away with the fencer's twin gallic heavy cannons is my favourite thing on this game. Im really looking forward to seeing what the other classes have to offer.
Doing the same thing with the fencer's heavy mortars and seeing Retiarius do cartwheels through the air and land about 3 miles away is even better.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Retro42 posted:

Clearly you need to start adopting the scorched earth policy on Retiarius levels. Can't snipe from behind that building if there are no buildings left. :black101:
It seems that you cannot destroy any building that has a web attached to it. You have to at least destroy the web first.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Using Satellite Blaster B on a Deroy makes him wig the gently caress out.

Also, a totally pro move is to rescue teammates from the jaws of a red ant by using the satellite beam. "Just hold still!"

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Are they actually called Deroys? Because my friends and I always heard D-Roid and figured it was a robot joke.
Something like that. If you look at your battle history, it lists the amount of kills you have for each enemy type (if you have encountered them).

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

girth brooks part 2 posted:

This makes up at least half of my deaths as a wing diver. Usually it's some giant gently caress off missile(s) that somebody fired off 30 seconds ago, and finally show up when I'm in the middle of doing my thing. The other half is me miss judging the explosive radius on a plasma launcher or grenade and going in to low for run only to blow myself up.

Oh and sorry everything was such a mess last night G.I. Jose. That's was honestly the most issues I've had with the game. There were some pretty nasty storms going on in my area last night so I'm hoping they were just borking with my internet and it'll be better next time.
S'ok. The problems seemed to be all network related.

Your completion percentage and armor levels seem kind of high for someone working on Hard still. Did you grind a lot of the easier difficulties first?

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Just wait until you find Gungnir.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Section Z posted:

This is why I'm now trying to decide if I Start up Wing Diver once I finish off Normal Ranger, or keep going with Ranger into hard. Everything weapon is serviceable and (mostly) normal, on Normal. But as I near the end, I get a taste of things to come.

I killed a giant Dragon with a Super Soaker full of Acid, who needs a long range weapon? It served well to plow my way through the Giant Insect hordes in next few missions.
I have gotten a grenade launcher that fires 20 bouncy grenades at once (shame about that 10 second fuse).
I have a Missile Launcher larger than the Ranger, that deals 1,500 Damage with a Lock of 800m (if with a 5 second lockon :v:)

Stage 85, here I come. Let's go, Goliath D1!

Fake Edit: ^^^ Yeah, those are pretty fun.
Fencer gets a missile launcher that fires missiles as large as a red ant from head to tail. They do 100,000 damage with a 50m blast radius, travel really slowly, and can only be fired with an Air Raider using targeting lasers. They are glorious.

Also, for anyone who thinks Air Raider vehicles are terrible, just wait until you get higher level versions. They all start terrible, but get awesome in the end game. Except maybe the railgun tanks, they are awesome from start to finish (except one in the middle that fires in burst mode, it isn't very accurate).

Gigantes tanks slow and dull? The high end ones are fast enough to drift race. BMX10 Proteus feels weak? The late-game version absolutely wrecks poo poo in Inferno difficulty, and has 160,000 durability.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Hyperactive posted:

Hey, so the Air Raider starts with some deploy points for air raids and vehicles.

Do we know how many? Does it increase with higher stages? Difficulty levels?
Not sure what the actual numbers are. Essentially, most vehicles and support strikes start with full deploy bar. A few of the very largest ones start with the bar about 1/4 full. Off the top of my head, I can only think of the Titan tanks and Proteus robots that start at "not full". I haven't encountered a strike that starts less than full yet, but I don't have the very highest level ones yet either.

The thing is, the cost of the items really depends on their TYPE, and not their level. Gigantus tanks always cost the same amount, even when you get a level 80 version of it. So do all the other vehicles of the same line... all Vegaltas cost the same, all Titans cost the same, and so on.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

I also made a quick guide video for grinding DLC 2 Mission 16:
Interesting trick on DLC 2-16: The group of gold ants that spawn in "upper" cave near the end of the mission, are just on the other side of the rock wall where you started the mission. Explosive weapons seem to be able to kill them through that wall. I was able to hit them (a little) with the Idunn Custom E 2. I was also able to blow them up real good with the RZR plasma launcher (it has a big blast radius).

You still have to traverse the whole level to get their drops though. And you still have to deal with the lower group of ants. I'd only suggest it with a wing diver or dash-cancelling fencer.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

MassRafTer posted:

The worst part about dragons is in the previous mission radio chatter keeps referencing "lizards." I thought they said "wizards" and was really excited.
The EDF grunts do actually mention wizards at some point. They keep having lines referencing magic swords and stuff when the dragons appear.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Psycho Landlord posted:

I'd just like to point out that on Inferno the Dragons get a massive speed boost - on the ground and in the air - on top of all the usual Inferno perks, and actually become legitimately terrifying in large groups. The also do a metric shitload of damage if they manage to grab you, way more than a red ant. So yeah, those of you still knocking around normal/hard have that to look forward to.
All bugs get speed boosts as you turn up the difficulty. Ants in particular are really loving fast on Inferno. So are bees. Gunships also speed up.

I don't think any of the robots or spaceships move faster (except for gunships).

Also, I found a level in the regular missions that is easily farmable by a solo Air Raider. It's in the 70's, and is titled "March of the machines" or something like that. It's on the dockyard map and has you fighting multiple deroys.

I have the second best railgun tank (about 12000 damage per shot), and it will 1-shot the small deroys, and kills the super tall ones in 4 shots. The map starts with 5 small ones. The second wave is 2 big ones and 1 small, but they will not drop until the first wave is dead AND the sky eaters have gotten into position (which can take a while). The deroys are mostly not-dangerous, although if they focus fire the leg lasers on you at close range, your tank (and you) will melt.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Neo Helbeast posted:

I finally got a Laguna Blaster and it is wildly, just okay. It's really impressive and does some decent damage, but the bombardment area is so big that you can't aim for specific enemies. If you had to choose between it and a Spritefall C, I'd take the Spritefall.

Oh and I now have everything for the Air Raider except the Proteous AX and two bazelarts.
The problem is that it is *much* faster to climb the power curve of weapon farming, than it is to level up your armor.

You can start the game fresh on hard mode, bypassing normal and easy, and after the first two levels you should already have weapon upgrades that will let you go through all the game on Hard and keep up with the difficulty curve. You can even jump to Hardest halfway through if you are good at the game. When you have higher end Hardest weapons, it isn't that tough (but a little tedious) to find Inferno levels that you can farm.

But despite having Inferno level weapons, it is still BALLS HARD to beat many Inferno levels without 1500 armor minimum. There just is no fast way to get armor, except for a few rubber-band tricks that still take hours and hours.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Got some level 80 gatling guns last night. They are gatling-gatling guns. Three gatling guns together, with four barrels each, and they BOTH rotate when you fire.

This game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Mission pack 3 is going to be balls-hard in inferno. The levels are insane.

Silver king spiders? I estimate them at around 20,000 hp on easy.