Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Casnorf posted:

I had just assumed that dual Javelin Catapults were so awesome that Keyboard_Vomit's PS3 just couldn't handle it and hardlocked.

Hardlocked once in the mission, and again at the very thought of them being unleashed a second time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Benach posted:

I woke up about 16 hours ago. I haven't stopped playing the game. I want to keep playing the game. I've been playing on Hard with Ranger and only beat Mission 34. Died a bunch. Holy loving poo poo this game is fun. It's the dumbest, simplest, silliest thing. I'm not even sure I would call this a "good, quality game" but it's loving amazing and I'm sure as hell going to spend a lot of time playing it.

Yeah, this is my first EDF game and it was crazy how quickly I fell in love with a fairly expensive impulse purchase for what I knew looked rather poor quality for today's games. I even watched the Giant Bomb quicklook and, while I totally understand why they seem rather uninterested in its simplicity and deceptive quality, I simply cannot get enough of this game myself. The fact I can go some missions with a flexible rifle and rocket launcher and others with dual-wiedling lock-on shoulder-mounted high-altitude rockets just tickles me all over.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Oh man. It's gonna be a while before I get a PS3, but I loving loved EDF2017. I hope somebody's still gonna be playing by then.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Man I thought I could jump straight from Normal to Hardest but my 800 armor ranger with some level 40 poo poo gets swarmed on level 10(?) when the transport ships drop ten million ants.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dantes posted:

Ok, step by step.

This is all well and good but five runs of it later on Hardest and I haven't seen anything about a level 40, let alone anything new or meaningfully above 55. Inferno's queen literally oneshots me, sometimes through a wall. The thought of having to grind hours upon hours of armor seems really counter to the tone of the game and terminally dull.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is my first EDF game and I'm playing on Hard as a Fencer and I can't get past the fifth mission. I keep getting snagged by spiders from halfway across the map and all my health is gone by the time I even get dragged near the things. If I hear about how the science man is going to call the new giant insects Oscar Pistorius one more time I'm going to kill myself. My weapons include a big hammer that's really good but does gently caress all against spiders/webs, a 20-shot cannon rifle thing that's okay but feels a bit underpowered, and a rocket launcher that fires six missiles into space that never come back and occasionally just shoots the ground in front of me and kills me instead. Please help me. edf.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 9, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

This is my first EDF game and I'm playing on Hard as a Fencer and I can't get past the fifth mission. I keep getting snagged by spiders from halfway across the map and all my health is gone by the time I even get dragged near the things. If I hear about how the science man is going to call the new giant insects Oscar Pistorius one more time I'm going to kill myself. My weapons include a big hammer that's really good but does gently caress all against spiders/webs, a 20-shot cannon rifle thing that's okay but feels a bit underpowered, and a rocket launcher that fires six missiles into space that never come back and occasionally just shoots the ground in front of me and kills me instead. Please help me. edf.

You don't necessarily have to play Hard. The main reasons to play higher difficulties are to get better weapons and have a tougher challenge. You could also try another character, since the Fencer takes a bit of investment to get going. The Ranger is pretty good vs. Retiarii(?) if you, uh, blow up all the buildings in between you and the spider. Also the webs. Basically, Ranger is really good at blowing stuff up right out the bat and this is one of the reasons why the game recommends him for new players.

If it's weapons you want, you can always try Mission 3 on Hardest or Inferno to potentially get something around lvl. 30-50 and then proceed normally from there once you do have something.

You don't have to grind or farm if you play on Normal or Easy, though admittedly those difficulties aren't very rewarding. The game is meant to be replayed a bunch, though, and even keeps track of which difficulties you've beaten a level on with which character separately.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got past that mission and now I'm sort-of-finished the first tunnel/hive one, but it appears that there's an enemy who's fallen off the map and I can't complete the mission :suicide:

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

This game is crack. For what it is, it looks pretty good (which is like saying that a couple scenes in an old Godzilla movie were shot well).

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Is this game like edf2 where you only get weapons for the character you're using on that level?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Achtane posted:

Is this game like edf2 where you only get weapons for the character you're using on that level?
Yep.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Sweet. EDF-style maximum replayability.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Achtane posted:

Sweet. EDF-style maximum replay ability.
You haven't completed the game until you've beaten every stage on every difficulty level with every character class. Oh, and online and offline are separate.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

This is my first EDF game and I'm playing on Hard as a Fencer

If this is your first EDF game you should seriously play through once as a Ranger. I think the developers would agree with me. The Ranger has that classic EDF gameplay... Fencer feels like a totally different game. If 2017 featured only the fencer instead of only the ranger I doubt there's be the rabid EDF fanbase there is today. I don't think Fencer is intended for newcomers at all, it's there for seasoned EDF players who want to try something very different and more challenging.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
This was my first EDF and I went straight for the fencer and had a blast. You just need to know how to dash cancel and exploit deflections to really get going with him. I'd suggest playing the whole thing or normal if this is your first time since the higher difficulties to me feel really grindy and bulletspongey compared to how magical the first run through was.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Yeah seriously, leave hard mode for after you run through normal. Cranking up the difficulty on an easier stage for better weapon drops is perfectly acceptable though.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I finally got a Laguna Blaster and it is wildly, just okay. It's really impressive and does some decent damage, but the bombardment area is so big that you can't aim for specific enemies. If you had to choose between it and a Spritefall C, I'd take the Spritefall.

Oh and I now have everything for the Air Raider except the Proteous AX and two bazelarts.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 9, 2014

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Neo Helbeast posted:

I finally got a Laguna Blaster and it is wildly, just okay. It's really impressive and does some decent damage, but the bombardment area is so big that you can't aim for specific enemies. If you had to choose between it and a Spritefall C, I'd take the Spritefall.

Oh and I now have everything for the Air Raider except the Proteous AX and two bazelarts.
The problem is that it is *much* faster to climb the power curve of weapon farming, than it is to level up your armor.

You can start the game fresh on hard mode, bypassing normal and easy, and after the first two levels you should already have weapon upgrades that will let you go through all the game on Hard and keep up with the difficulty curve. You can even jump to Hardest halfway through if you are good at the game. When you have higher end Hardest weapons, it isn't that tough (but a little tedious) to find Inferno levels that you can farm.

But despite having Inferno level weapons, it is still BALLS HARD to beat many Inferno levels without 1500 armor minimum. There just is no fast way to get armor, except for a few rubber-band tricks that still take hours and hours.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't grinded armor at all and in 46 hours of playing (on this account anyway), the most armor I have is 750 for my fencer. I have level 60 weapons and have beaten quite a few stages on Very Hard, and one or two on Inferno.

Goddamn the armor system in this game is dumb. But then I find myself chanting EDF! EDF! EDF!! and I forget all about its problems.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Goddamn the armor system in this game is dumb. But then I find myself chanting EDF! EDF! EDF!! and I forget all about its problems.
Yeah, I wish armor drops were universal / accumulated between all classes. Boom, fixed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mr Phillby posted:

Yeah seriously, leave hard mode for after you run through normal. Cranking up the difficulty on an easier stage for better weapon drops is perfectly acceptable though.

With proper use of the Laser Chainsaw you can play as a Wing Diver on Hard with little additional grinding.

The most fun way to beat Fortress Attack: Flying into the hatch before it closes the first time, then lasering it to death when it opens the second time. You'll need something slightly stronger than the Laser Chainsaw to do this reliably though, otherwise the hatch will close on you as it dies leaving you trapped inside. After it's dead you'll have almost no energy and little health as the cannons and Hectors clobber you, but you'll feel awesome. I've never really speed run before other than when I'd race Mario World with my cousin, but this game makes me want to speed run it.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I wish you got more armor points per pickup depending on difficulty.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would be interested to see some crazy bastards attempt a legit speed run of EDF 2025, or any of them really. Especially since it means a fresh start for anyone attempting and being left at the mercy of the RNG for what drops, on top of them not having time to go pick up everything after, or sometimes even during a fight.

I haven't gotten back to the game yet since beating Ranger Normal. But all the talk about armor grinding reminds me, doesn't the Fencer supposedly have the best multiplier for "How many armor crates needed for +1" or something? Unless his non dash canceling speed is too much of a handicap, he could be the best bet for most people working their way up to Inferno. One less armor box per HP compared to the Ranger or whatever adds up when you want a minimum of like, 2,000 or something.

What IS the most convenient Non DLC Armor Farm for ranger anyways? Way back somebody mentioned that in the final mission everything always drops an item, but that turned out to be bullshit after many swears at drones to "Drop some loving health already, hell, drop ANYTHING!". Unless that only happens past normal, or past the first phase (which I was a bit too busy to notice drop frequency on until more enemies showing up wasn't a problem, but didn't SEEM to be piles of loot for the amount of enemies killed).

Either way, I figure I'll give Wing Diver Normal a shot next for variety, but this time around I'll actually dip into higher difficulties for cooler guns. For insane reasons I went through Normal with just Normal guns on Ranger, outside of the Lysander sniper rifle I made a quick grab out of level 1 hard to help with Starship, then shelved until it dropped normally.

Edit: ^^^ That would actually make some sense, even a small change would be pretty nice. If only so you didn't want to kill yourself trying to get the Wing Diver's health to get anywhere near what the Ranger gets incidentally.

EDIT: vvv The differences in offline Co-Op between 360 and PS3 keep blurring to me, but I think PS3 still does the doubled up armor trick so thanks for the reminder. That and "Grind Armor On Easy", unless higher difficulties mean better odds of a drop/more enemies instead of them just being faster, tougher, and stronger.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 10, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Section Z posted:

What IS the most convenient Non DLC Armor Farm for ranger anyways?

I'm fairly sure it's something like 'Brute Force on easy with a mass-lock-on weapon to wipe out the drones really fast'. Or at least, that's less dull than sitting on top of an insect nest with a shotgun.

e: Also, play in offline multiplayer, with the same character selected on both pads. Leave one staring at the floor and you'll earn double HP per armor drop.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Mr Phillby posted:

I've been working through my first run as Ranger on Hard. I've only had to drop back to an earlier level and crank it up to Inferno once I hit mission 40 because I didn't have the firepower or armour to control that loving river. I had a lucky drop with the minigun machinegun :black101: and I could basically hose my way through afterward.

The Inferno Geyser and the lower leveled similar grenade launcher are hilarious to unleash in the earlier missions. Doubly so if you manage to stick it to an ant. Triply so when you start shooting it's corpse while it's still going. Quadruply if you're playing with unknowing friends, you pull it out and then start shooting the corpse after them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

My first successful DLC Mission 16 Inferno run happened with a Wing Diver armed with a lvl 47 Reflectron Laser D and a lvl 57 Idunn-E Custom 2 thunderbow. I'm nowhere near at a point where Inferno runs are "routine farming" for me, it's always a nail-biting life or death struggle for Guns What Make Bigger Explosions. Speaking of bigger, better guns, two hits with the Demonic Lance and a short burst from the highest-level Dynastrike makes short work of the upgraded blue-chrome Hectors on Inferno. They'll still oneshot you if you gently caress up, but man, Wing Divers are really fun when it comes time to fly along the razor's edge.

On another note find that the mission full of red ants, Crimson, is a good place for an Air Raider to try to upgrade his stuff if you happen to have an auto-aiming helicopter and don't have a good railgun tank yet for some reason.

In terms of playtime I've definitely got Wing Diver highest, then Ranger, then Fencer, and finally Air Raider. I feel I oughta work with the guy a little more, but the lack of targeting reticles for vehicles makes no sense to me at all.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You might still be able to take a pair of plasma whips and farm Crimson as a Wing Diver. They're longer ranged rapiers with more shots at a really wide angle that let you pain lock huge piles of them. One mistake and you're bug food but what else is new?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just started up Wing Diver finally. I took a quick dip into Level 3 hard, got a higher end Thunder Bow, and switched back to normal just plowing through everything like some kind of... Deity you could say, one involved with winning.

Then I discovered that just because the past nine hundred and ninety nine times you've fired a thunder bow with no consequences, that thousandth time where the lightning decides to bounce back in your face can be a fatal surprise. I was just trying to blast a bug off of weapon and armor crate it was clipped through :downsgun:

I know I'll try out Fencer in the Future, but I just know that despite his cool toys the Air Raider will just drive me crazy with his quirks.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Are you a Wing Diver having trouble with swarms of bees and dragons?

Try a Mirage weapon. Not only will it swat them out of the sky, but it'll start scoring kills if you lay on the trigger long enough. Thanks to one of those (and Idunn-FF) I was able to clear Mountain Camp (like mission 74? or so) on Inferno with the help of all the NPC soldiers it throws at you.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Aw, reading up on decoys, they have no effect on enemies other than simply being identified as another target. They don't draw the enemies away from you or anything like that. They're pretty useless when the sky is full of drones or whatever.

edit: and only that one special DLC moe girl one has an actual launcher (and only 40hp, so she'll get destroyed instantly and the enemies will continue on their course for you), the rest you have to place manually, which makes them double useless.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 10, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Samurai Sanders posted:

Aw, reading up on decoys, they have no effect on enemies other than simply being identified as another target. They don't draw the enemies away from you or anything like that. They're pretty useless when the sky is full of drones or whatever.

edit: and only that one special DLC moe girl one has an actual launcher (and only 40hp, so she'll get destroyed instantly and the enemies will continue on their course for you), the rest you have to place manually, which makes them double useless.

They're pretty fun if you manage to nail a hector in the chest with one. I'd also imagine they're useful for the shield hectors.

And back to slapping dragons out of the sky with my lightning bow. God I love their animations, it's like the natural extension of the drunk drones.

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!
Just started playing as Air Raider. Holy poo poo, calling in air strikes is fun. It's a far cry from being up close and personal as a Ranger/Wing Diver, but still seems like it's a fun class to play once you get some of the better artillery.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Mingus Dew posted:

Just started playing as Air Raider. Holy poo poo, calling in air strikes is fun. It's a far cry from being up close and personal as a Ranger/Wing Diver, but still seems like it's a fun class to play once you get some of the better artillery.

Wait until your first cave level where you can't call in any artillery strikes or vehicles!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Luceid posted:

Wait until your first cave level where you can't call in any artillery strikes or vehicles!

It would be pretty great if there were special vehicles that could be used underground. Like a mole tank. It would be "airdropped" by it just drilling down into the tunnel where you threw the grenade, like how bugs just spawn out of nowhere from "tunnel entrances." And of course you can't drill more tunnels with it, this is a videogame for crying out loud.

Oh, if only.

It feels weird that the flying lady is the one best-equipped to be a tunnel rat.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Playing as a fencer feels pretty pointless when you're with an Air Raider who stomps around in a Vegalta dealing double your damage, moving twice as quickly, and with 10x the hit points (6000 vs around 600 currently for our fencer).

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Fencers are great at sustained fire. We're near the end of normal and my fencer can usually take out a dropship in one volley of heavy cannons. I can stunlock Queens and hectors with gatlings and maybe do a little urban renewal with my hammer. I've even got some cruise missiles I can mess about with when I've got an Air Raider buddy-he might have bigger nukes but I can fire mine more often. All this while flitting about the map like an ADHD insect.

Yeah, Air Raider has a couple always-good loadouts but tailor your guns to the mission and a Fencer will be your best bud.

Bobby Cox
Nov 3, 2006

College Slice
Fencers are also a surprising support class. I'm finding myself a medic when I play online because I can get to fallen allies quickly and I have enough life to fully revive them. Between that, meleeing and deflecting shots Fencers fill some unique niches.

Bobby Cox fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 10, 2014

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The best thing about Fencers, I find, is that their "melee" weapons generally have ranges comparable to the Wing Diver close/mid-range stuff. Even that boring looking Blasthole Spear can usually hit a flying Red drone (200m+ ain't nothing to sneeze at) on the second shot in the combo.

It's pretty satisfying to core a Hector from a block away with a melee attack.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

thoraxfetish.com posted:

Fencers are also a surprising support class. I'm finding myself a medic when I play online because I can get to fallen allies quickly and I have enough life to fully revive them. Between that, meleeing and deflecting shots Fencers fill some unique niches.

I think Air Raider makes a bit better medic. Even though they may not be able to give as much health on a revive, they get to stay in a vehicle for most of the mission hopefully, so there's only one person running around with less health after a revive instead of two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
The PS3 online has been boinked for my friends and I with constant disconnects and black-screen-of-death. We played for five hours on Sunday (special treat for Dad!) but only cleared like 15 missions because of all the heartache. I heard anecdotally that D3 is aware and is apparrently working on a patch, so I guess we'll see.
It's a shame because we love this game, just wish we could play it together.

If it's never fixed I guess there's always the PS4 EDF they announced last year.
I hope there's no graphics enhancements and they just use all the power to keep the framerate up and have 10x more bugs on screen.