Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Played for several hours yesterday in couch co-op, and I love Air Raider. Summoning so many mechs, blowing up so much poo poo with air strikes. gently caress your support, I am a front line fighter. :black101:

New vehicles seem pretty rare, though. Did I just have bad luck, or are there not very many of them kicking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Obsurveyor posted:

Maybe it's different yet again for split screen but this definitely isn't true for online. I'm getting a drop for every box picked up. I rarely pick up anything and still see 5 or more drops and I know there weren't 50+ weapon drops on these missions.

What he said is definitely true for couch co-op and I really wish they had done it the same way they had for online. Vehicles are really wonky about picking up crates, and having to get out, gather up nearby stuff, then get back in is really annoying if it's got a long startup time like the mechs do. Or god forbid, a helicopter.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

randombattle posted:

To the Ravagers humans could just be bugs that get in the way of spreading giant bugs. :downs:

The horrible translation and hammy voice acting makes things so much better, and to hell with anyone that says otherwise.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Limpet guns and roller bombs absolutely own underground though, so they aren't helpless.

That said, it's wing diver or nothing for underground missions for me.

I'll have to give roller bombs a try in tunnel missions. I tried them out when I got them, saw they were stupidamazing death-Roombas, then shelved them for ZER-GUN in tunnels.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Philthy posted:

Whats the trick with the 3 legged dudes. One stab and you die. Weve dumped thousands of damage into their legs to no effect.

Damaging the legs just busts the cannons that are spraying lasers everywhere, after that it's just a matter of dealing enough to take them down. The armored railgun vehicle can do it in two to three shots on normal, any other class is on its own. :v:

They are a pretty big pain, especially if they get right over you and just stomp away.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Uh how do you fly a helicopter? I can't even find the button to get them off the ground.

I did this for a long time too! On PS3 at least you hold L1 for an absurdly long time and you'll finally take off. L2 seems to descend.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Using shotguns on drones is like shooting clay pigeons, except the entire sky is full of them. It's so satisfying.

The Fire Vegalta's canister shot is even more satisfying. Canister for the air, flamethrowers and Charon strafing runs for the ground. :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Does it not have pilot weapons?

The pilot would be far too busy cackling and stepping on houses to make proper use of weapons anyway.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Luceid posted:

Real talk, the BM03 Vegalta Fireghost (Level 45) is the best power suit I've used so far purely because it turns, runs, and jumps so drat fast compared to the earlier ones. It's an absolute joy. I can't remember the last time we actually got to sit down on the couch and co-op a large chunk of the holidays away.

Do the flechette limpets ever get worth it? It feels like the explosive ones are much more useful.

Flechette limpets are great for tunnel missions. They bounce around constantly and take out any bugs your turrets happen to miss.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yalborap posted:

So I'm on Mission 43. It's...It's not going well, guys.

These drat three-legged things are loving murdering my framerate and my face. I'm rocking Air Raider, but I just don't have the durability or the gear to deal with these guys. My vehicles are getting smashed, and then I'm getting smashed, and I haven't even managed to kill one.

The answer to all the woes involving this problem is Epsilon armored railguns. They rip those things apart in three shots.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well I know what I'm doing tonight.

I finally got one of the good satellite strikes last night, the first Spritefall, and it made the last mission kind of trivial, actually. It refills so fast and deals so much that anything relatively stationary melts like butter. Without any help from my Wing Diver buddy it pushed the Brain through every phase transition of the fight. He tore apart the Earth Eaters to refill my strikes, I obliterated it. It was awesome and felt like pure, distilled EDF power progression. :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Night10194 posted:

Incorrect. Hectors are best dealt with by summoning your own giant robot and declaring it is a robotfight.

That's a bit redundant. Every fight is robotfight!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rabidredneck posted:

The biggest problem I have with the Air Raider is they have no good means to escape from an ant grab. Other classes can just shoot them, but the limpit guns are explosive and the higher level ones will kill you just as dead as the ants will. The only safe way is if you happen to have turret guns nearby that can kill the ant for you, but that can be a big if. Unless your in multiplayer, if an ant grabs you your screwed.

Flechette limpets will more often than not miss you and are generally good for taking out bugs anyway, they're generally what I bring to bug heavy maps where I might be grabbed.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Am I missing something with Wing Diver thrown weapons? It seems like no matter how long I hold down the button, they all gently coast a few feet then go off. It's very disorienting after playing Air Raider for so long.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Neo Helbeast posted:

I also made a quick guide video for grinding DLC 2 Mission 16: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uu5U5lw1vI

Well I guess it's time to play more EDF.

What's the credit cost on that thing? It looks surprisingly small considering a handful of Hectors gave it nearly a third of the bar back.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Father Wendigo posted:

Which kinda spider are we talking about here? Adorable teeny-huge brown spider, unsettling double-huge big spider, that-loving-web-spinning-rear end in a top hat, or DLC Silverback?

The answer to all of these is roll Wing Diver and blast their poo poo back up their thoraxes with a Thunder-Buckshot Crossbow. And also play a game or two on normal to work out that tension from Inferno.

The problems that jumping spiders have always had are compounded when you're in a vehicle, since they can web you up even faster due to the larger hitbox and slower movement. A couple can tear your vehicle apart in a few seconds in you're not careful, it's kinda dumb.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Marogareh posted:

This is the reason I only roll with Bazelarts and rain death from above. I love how the better versions fly super fast compared to the how sluglike the first one was.

It's not too terrible if you just mind where the spiders are. If need be, pack a Splendor and hop out occasionally to deal with nearby spiders you can't turn fast enough to deal with in the vehicle itself. The flechettes are so spread out that they won't deal all that much to either you or your vehicle at close range. Or have a Wing Diver buddy that can help you out.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Hoo boy. These Depth Crawler controls sure are something else. I'll... I'll just stay on the ground, thanks.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Flannelette posted:

Did they fix the big spider's webbing you through a building for a guaranteed slow death in many cases? That was my no.1 problem with 2025.

I haven't seen this happen with my couch co-op buddies Wing Diver yet and we've already sunk an unhealthy amount of time into the game. I haven't had it happen either but as an Air Raider my time outside of a vehicle can be measured in how long it takes me to place an beacon/lock a satellite beam onto a Hector brigade so that's not the best thing to go off of. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Needs More Jazz posted:

Use vehicles. Don't aim the limpet gun too much - it's five tiny explosions. If one lands on a bug, cool. If not, blowing up the ground beneath it is just as good. You can shove healing/energy/defense tanks on your depth crawler/tank/etc. to carry its effect with you. Use vehicles.

Limpets are pretty anemic, but I like Limpet Splendor a lot more-- if only because it's a pretty fireworks show in addition to covering a fairly large area.

Use vehicles. The Gigantes you start with is pretty bad but they ramp up quickly from there, and the Vegaltas are amazingly good workhorses for clearing maps-- once you empty the ammo of one, you'll definitely have enough credits to call in another. I prefer an air strike or beacon-targeted missile barrage/satellite laser in my second slot instead of a utility gun or tank of gatorade, but the latter have their uses too. A laser beam from space or an artillery strike is great for taking out nests or transport ships, though. If you want to put the extra finesse into steering your laser-guided strikes, they can actually take out pretty huge swaths of stuff as well. The only caveat is that a good chunk of the airtrikes won't work in later missions when the Earth Eaters start spawning until a few get blown out of the sky-- I believe Bomber Charon will fly under them, though? I could be wrong. Charon's various bombing/strafing plans are my personal favorite airstrikes anyway until you get the satellite lasers and Rule of God. Whale's cannons have a pretty tiny radius but are good for plopping down on nests, and have the bonus of being fired from a beacon gun instead of thrown so you have better control of where they land, plus they recharge insanely fast. Charon has a much larger radius, but each pattern moves differently so you need to learn how they're going to function when you throw the beacon out to avoid blowing up yourself or your team mates.

Or just throw them and laugh because that's half the fun of being an air raider. :getin:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Brackhar posted:

So what is the read on how the four classes shake out in the end? How do they compare to each other?

Today I called down an orbital laser strike on a giant spaceship that turned into a Gundam before I hopped in my personal Jaeger and punched it to death while screaming EDF at the top of my lungs.

Play Air Raider.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I sure love the Japanese voice acting, but I started the series in Japanese so I am biased.

Speaking of that, some people have written the name of the professor as "O'Hara" in this thread, is the English version deliberately presenting him as being Irish?

Ohara's English VA is doing his best George Takei impersonation except he hasn't watched Star Trek in like ten years and also might be thinking of William Shatner.

Now I want to hear that guy try to do an Irish accent though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

5 has such good QoL upgrades, especially for Air Raider. Better indicators for strikes, fast reloading artillery you can use as your main weapon... no goddamn Earth Eaters blocking some of your toys.

Downside: cave missions still exist.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We had to sacrifice something for the new Spritefall Lady. But yeah whenever dropships are around I let my buddy who always runs ranger/wing diver handle them while I mop up whatever they dropped with hellfire from above.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sandepande posted:

I'll miss the mystery of GIANT MONSTERS though. What are those things!?

I'll never forget the GIANT INSECTS of EDF4 and their final evolutionary form, real-rear end dragons.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

We must destroy them until the only god left is Spritefall Lady.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bofast posted:

I for one am ready to save our mother Earth from any alien attack once this comes out on PC :hist101:

From what though? Some kind of vicious giant insect that’s once again come back?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bofast posted:

Possibly. At least I will likely have to unleash all our forces and not cut them any slack

Wow we should really deploy some kind of defense force for the Earth about this.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just wanna fire laser satellites at giant insects, y’all. I’ve been in Spritefall withdrawls for yearsman I need my Air Raider goodness.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shine posted:

hhhhnnnfgffghhhhhhh i wanna shoot a bug so loving bad

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The fact that 5 introduced an airstrike option that reloaded quickly enough that you could use it as your primary weapon was peak class design.

Shame about caves.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Well surely at least they gave Air Raider some neat new toys to make them easier and less painfully un-fun like 5s were, right?

… right…?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

All I’m saying is if anything can punch through several hundred meters of rock and dirt to obliterate ants it’s Spritefall.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Theswarms posted:

If your teammates die that's their fault for being near explosions. It is never the air raiders fault.

:colbert:

There’s even big indicator’s now!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah if there's dropships you need to take a limpet sniper or something. you can also play the tank turret angling game if you really want.

but the true answer is "get someone else to do that" while you lay waste to bugs and buildings alike with the 105mm calldown

The early ones suck at it but later loadouts of the mechs in 5 tear airships apart if you can get the angle right.

Plus mechs are cool.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I will never stop bringing Barga to every available mission, you can’t stop me.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I am full of… hatred?

I think this is hatred.

Certainly disappointment.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

ZeusCannon posted:

Further confirmation this is the bad place

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

World Brothers would have been neat if I didn’t glitch out 75% of the time trying to load into a multiplayer mission and also if it was like 150% less weirdly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

lets hang out posted:

world bros 2 teaser w/ english subtitles (includes new edf6 enemies)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8zFHNB43kk

https://i.imgur.com/cGuIjt4.mp4