Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Start your engines! It's time for RockStar 62!

snorch posted:

It has been said that there are only three kinds of songs: songs about sex, songs about killing, and songs about drugs.

Snorch totally messed up this quote in his RockStar 61.1 OP. It's actually that there are only three kinds of songs: songs about sex, drugs, and fast cars!
Ok maybe both are valid, but cars are better than murder so this round we will be covering songs about cars!

I don't like restrictive topics, so as long as the song is somewhat about moving at speed in a metal-object with wheels it's all good. I would say that the main focus should be about driving/cars/highways/roads/petrol/engines (even if it's a metaphor for loving or something), a song about something totally different that includes the single line "And after I hosed your mom, I went home in my BMW Z1" wouldn't count even though it mentions a car once and would see you ridiculed by a group of your internet peers.

Here is a huge-rear end list of car related songs, and if it's on here then I'm going to say it's ok.
http://www.calif-tech.com/blog/carsongs.html

Rockstar FAQ (from the old thread)

quote:

What's Rockstar? How do I Rockstar?
The idea behind Rockstar is simple: you pick any song that fits the topic, then record a cover of it by the posted deadline. Once the deadline arrives, we get all the submissions together and make a poll/voting thread in GBS to determine the winner. The winner gets all the glory and gets to pick the next topic and post the next thread.

Who can participate?
Anyone, everyone. If you're willing to take the time to throw a song together, we're happy to have you.

Does it have to sound professional or anything?
Nope. You don't need fancy interfaces or access to a studio, just the ability to sit down and jam out a cover on whatever you got. Sure, production quality is good, but actually completing an entry is even better. So grab what you got and start laying down some tracks. There are plenty of resources in the Musicians Lounge if you need assistance with your setup or are having any technical issues.

Where should I host the music
We're going to use Soundcloud from now on, due Tindeck doing some stuff to turn us off. Stuff that affects free accounts. Also, we can easily make a playlist. Just make sure you allow people to download your music from Soundcloud, since some people like to load the music up on their iPod. Plus, that way, you don't need to worry about your internet connection when you're trying to make love to that special someone, or something, or KFC basket of Chicken Wings.

I really really really want to win. What's the secret?
First of all, settle down there chief. It ain't about winning. However, winning is simple, actually. Follow my three simple rules:
Pick a song that people have actually heard of. This isn't a time to establish your indie cred.
Switch up the genres in a funny way. Make a reggae version of a hard rock song. Do "Take the A Train" in the style of Kraftwerk's "Autobahn". Please don't turn a rap song into a mellow acoustic ballad. Straight covers rarely win because lets face it, you're no David Cassidy, and I think you know it.
Get off your fat butt and actually record something. Don't wait until the deadline. Thinking about it won't make it happen.

Soft deadline when you SHOULD be finished is Wednesday, March 5th, 2014.
Super-Hard deadline when the poll goes live is Sunday the 9th!
New deadline: 10th April!

Also as a test the voting thread is going to be posted here in Musicians Lounge because GBS is full of nihilist man-children who hate free music and community spirit. To compensate for the "lower visibility" I think there should also be a gentleman's agreement that everyone taking part should also try to give constructive feedback to all the other entries.

RobattoJesus fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Great topic! Gonna have to call Highway Star for this one.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I'm not sure if I'm going to contribute this round, but I thought of a couple of songs I might do: "Mach 5" by the Presidents of the United States of America, or "Survival Car" by Fountains of Wayne

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Gonna do Robert Johnson's "Terraplane Blues".

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Gonna attempt Red Barchetta by Rush.

I plan on half-assing the entire song EXCEPT for the pick slide/engine rev half way through.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
In with Mustang Sally, as threatened.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Tentative Dragula by Rob Zombie as I'm so poo poo at submitting to these.

As far as I know the lyrics have gently caress all to do with cars (as far as i know the lyrics have gently caress all to do with anything) but its in that list :colbert:.

May toxx myself at a later point.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Calling "Always Crashing the Same Car" by David Bowie and/or "Remake/Remodel" by Roxy Music.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Fuel by Metallica

This is what I have so far. I need to learn some licks. :clint:

I swear that this has been done before like that, and used as like bump music for a NASCAR race or something :shrug:

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Definitely in on this one, since I'm hugely fascinated by carlore, but I'm not exactly sure which song I'll be going with. Probably gonna try a few out and see which one fits my taste best.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Sorry I bailed last time. I'm gonna go with LA Woman by The Doors

edit: changed mind

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 8, 2014

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

R3M posted:

Sorry I bailed last time. I'm gonna go with LA Woman by The Doors

edit: changed mind

That song has, like, 3 lines about cars. But they do constitute the best part of the song, so I think it should be allowed. (I guess you could argue it's a song about driving around LA.)

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Hammsturabi posted:

That song has, like, 3 lines about cars. But they do constitute the best part of the song, so I think it should be allowed. (I guess you could argue it's a song about driving around LA.)

That is my argument, actually.

Behold! A Elk!
May 12, 2009
I like the idea of the new system.

I am gonna try hard to participate this round, but i'm not gonna call a song early on this time for no reason.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I'm going to try and do "Leader of the Pack" by The Shangri-Las.

Or "Dead Man's Curve" we'll see

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Hey guys, is it alright if I get another guy/gal (it's a gal) to sing on the track? My voice is pretty poo poo and DEFINITELY not up to Morrison standards. I don't want to commit sacrilege.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

R3M posted:

Hey guys, is it alright if I get another guy/gal (it's a gal) to sing on the track? My voice is pretty poo poo and DEFINITELY not up to Morrison standards. I don't want to commit sacrilege.

send me what you got and I'll give it a shot.

Just pm me for an email.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I'm going to claim Truckin by the Grateful Dead. Hopefully I'll find time to work on an entry this round.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Alternative pants posted:

send me what you got and I'll give it a shot.

Just pm me for an email.

I must have been unclear, I meant I already have someone lined up! But thanks a bunch for the offer!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Also, I suggest that we start two threads, one in GBS, one in ML. We ask (very politely) for a mod to sanction the silliness and :effort: voting in the GBS thread, and we average the votes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

R3M posted:

I don't think there's anything in the rules against collaborating with someone who's not a goon(ette). Hell, I've asked friends to play the piano for me and might ask my brother for help on this one.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

R3M posted:

I must have been unclear, I meant I already have someone lined up! But thanks a bunch for the offer!

Bah. How do I reading comprehension?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

R3M posted:

Yeah, it's fine. One of the recent winners had their gf sing and she had a voice that outclassed everyone, but raising the bar can only be a good thing :)

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo

I'm going to give my try at this.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Bad news! The laptop I do all my recording on poo poo the bed. Pretty sure the motherboard burned out.
Great news! New laptop came in! Shiny and gorgeous with more RAM and processing speed!
Not so great news. None of my DAW software is compatible with Windows 8.
Good news!(Again) Cubase 4 still runs on my desktop, but I can't lug it around which means no live drums until I can save up and get something for the laptop.
I will finish Red Barchetta, I did NOT spend all this damned time getting better at guitar and bass for nothing.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
If you need a stop-gap, I think Reaper has a fully functional demo period. It's also well worth every penny of the $60 personal license fee.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Technically, REAPER is almost nagware. Just saying. Not that I know about that.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm gonna see if I can salvage my older Toshiba laptop and strip it down to JUST be a recording machine. I really like Cubase's interface and my licence hasn't expired, so I'd like to try and keep using it as long as possible. In the meantime, programmed drums for everyone!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I'm going to go ahead and claim Speed Racer Theme. I think I can actually get it together in time for the deadline.

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe
I'll try to get something done for this one. First thing that came to mind was The Distance by Cake.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Since today is the soft deadline, here's a rough mix that I'm really not thrilled with but whatever.

Rough Barchetta

e: I need to hire someone to tell me not to stick my neck out on super ambitious stuff :smith:

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 5, 2014

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Really wanted to submit this contest but a bunch of real-life stuff came up. Perhaps in the future I will be able to do a Grateful Dead cover, I can only hope.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've been lazy and unhyped, gonna bang something out real quick.

Cinderful
Feb 12, 2006

Two days? Oh snap. Calling Tom Wait's, Ol' 55.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
drat it, again I've hit the point where I've recorded the first verse and chorus, but never really went beyond that. So I'll miss the deadline. :( Oh well, this time I'll at least try and finish it anyway.

EDIT: Great, can't even load the project in Reaper anymore, just crashes.. Guess that's it.
EDIT2: Still have a rendered version, so I guess I'll post that anyway. It's very rough and my singing is bad even at best, but whatever. https://soundcloud.com/wuntvor/red-mercedes

voodoo dog fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2014

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

This is as good as it's gonna get.
https://soundcloud.com/tom-f-lynn/red-barchetta

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I'm guessing people need an extension?

Either that or this topic sucks and we should just have a 3 entry voting thread and move along :v:

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

RobattoJesus posted:

I'm guessing people need an extension?

Either that or this topic sucks and we should just have a 3 entry voting thread and move along :v:
I'd like an extension, I should be able to at least finish the song. Don't think the topic is the reason this is moving along pretty slowly, but what do I know. :)

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

My motherboard fried on my main PC so I'm out of commission for awhile. :( Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

beatlegs posted:

My motherboard fried on my main PC so I'm out of commission for awhile. :( Maybe next time.

I feel your pain. That's what happened to my recording laptop. :(:hf::(

• Locked thread