Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I have the track laid out, just need to do vocals and bass and guitars and keyboards. And drum fills. And fix the drums. So yeah, an extension would be much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
So what's the new deadline? Or is this dead already?

Either way, I managed to do some stuff this weekend so here is a second version that is at least somewhat complete. I'd still like to add some solo stuff inbetween (towards the end between the first and second repetition of the chorus), hopefully I can get that done tomorrow. If not, this might even be the final version. I am actually pretty satisfied with it. I'd like to redo some lyrics, but I've got a really bad cold right now so that's not possible.

https://soundcloud.com/wuntvor/red-mercedes-second-version

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I just want it known, I loving HATE Sonar. Full Stop.

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Wuntvor posted:

So what's the new deadline? Or is this dead already?

New deadline: 10th April.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Anyone?

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

I think this is dead. :(

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Noooooo.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Carlos D. killed the SA RockStar.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I could rally and get mine done by the end of the weekend. Really all I have left is vocals. Anyone else close?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I just don't want to see this go away :smith: Ever since my band took a break this is my only real outlet for music.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Alternative pants posted:

I just don't want to see this go away :smith: Ever since my band took a break this is my only real outlet for music.
I agree. I owe a debt to RockStar for helping me find my sea legs in this new frontier of musical technology. (Before my first entry in 2013, the last full-length song I'd recorded was on 4-track reel-to-reel.)

For what it's worth, I liked the topic and had some pretty good ideas of things I could cover, but I sat this one out to focus on my original songs. I'll be back.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Alternative pants posted:

I've been working on an EP I'm releasing soon so all my efforts are there, just no time for Rockstar. Maybe you can try that as your outlet?

The next Rockstar should be originals. Or we start a thread to showcase our EPs and originals?

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

The next Rockstar should be originals. Or we start a thread to showcase our EPs and originals?

I like both of those ideas.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

RockStar should stay RockStar, but I am totally down for an "originals" effort of some sort. I loved that "Photo is your Muse" thing that ran for a few weeks last year.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Radiapathy posted:

RockStar should stay RockStar, but I am totally down for an "originals" effort of some sort. I loved that "Photo is your Muse" thing that ran for a few weeks last year.

We need a Rockstar offshoot. A guitar hero to this threads rock band, so to say.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I just ain't have time for this one. Lots of hemi-semi-formed ideas, but nothing solid.

Radiapathy posted:

The "Photo is Your Muse" thing ruled. Just needs something that's not car pictures.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Yeah, I am definitely still up for this.. I feel like I'm finally getting to the point where I can actually get something done.

I guess the momentum just isn't there for this one, couldn't be bothered to further polish my entry either. I'm definitely up for whatever comes next, though!

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Something that got proposed a few threads ago was we all do covers of each others' originals. Not as a RockStar or anything like that, but just to see how other people would interpret something we created.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Another +1 for the "photo is your muse" idea. I love Rockstar, but I'm at a point where I'd much rather be working on original tracks if possible.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Guys. Don't let RockStar die.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

What is photo is your muse?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

What is photo is your muse?
Looks like the threads have aged out. Anyway, it was a pretty simple idea that a poster named Thoogsby (I think?) came up with.

He'd post a photograph, and you'd have to write an original piece no longer than 2 minutes long inspired by the photo. The deadline was one week. The thing lasted for three iterations:

- Week one, I think about 14 people joined.

- Week two, maybe 4 or 5?

- Week three, only 2 people submitted and one of them was deleted by SoundCloud for using uncleared samples.

Even though it petered out really fast, I enjoyed and participated in each one.

The same OP posted each inspiration photo, and there was never an official poll-type voting thread. I think the disorganization played a role in the thing dying so fast.

EDIT: Found the soundcloud playlist for the first one, couldn't locate the other two.
https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/sets/photo-is-your-muse

heap
Jan 27, 2004

I enjoy Photo is Your Muse and think it's a great idea, but I didn't contribute to the last two because I personally didn't find the selected photo very inspiring (sorry Thoogsby).

If someone were to try to do those threads again, I think it'd be helpful to 1) select a couple different images and 2) include some paintings/drawings/collages/non-photos. Personally, I get a lot more inspiration out of an abstract or stylized painting than most photos, but that's probably just me.

As it stood, there was only one photo, and so if you weren't into that photo then there was nothing to do.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I'm just going to assume the rest of you are dead and declare myself the winner even though I didn't enter anything.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Does that mean there's gonna be a new thread/theme? Because that's all I've been waiting for.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Yeah I was too busy when this started up and assumed it was over by now. Did we give up on this because of GBS? I need an excuse to do another cover.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Believe it or not I actually just started working on a submission for this thing.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
I was just being silly. I was waiting for a new Rockstar to start up so I could think about submissions. I found this thread lying on the side of the road, so I decided to poke it with a stick.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
And regarding the ideas above about contests involving originals: I've often thought it would be fun to do a thing for song parodies. Instead of picking a particular theme for the source song, pick a theme that the parody has to be about and let people pick whatever song they want. In other words something like "this time around, the theme is going to be FOOD" and people could do "You Cook Me All Night Long" or "Wish They All Could Be California Rolls", or something like that.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I like it. Either way, RockStar needs to pull a Phoenix metaphor here soon.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I have always thought doing parody songs would be a fun one too.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
I really like your parody idea. Would be a cool way to refresh the Rockstar concept, which is awesome but clearly in a funk right now.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
And with parodies, we could call it "MockStar"

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Awesome. I'm going to be travelling for much of the next month so I can't shepherd a MockStar thread, but if someone else wants to fire one up I may be able to bash a song out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

mofolotopo posted:

Awesome. I'm going to be travelling for much of the next month so I can't shepherd a MockStar thread, but if someone else wants to fire one up I may be able to bash a song out.

First Mockstar thread created:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3641560

Hopefully the first of many

• Locked thread