Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If you're posting news, post your source!

This thread is for posting news items and only news items, so that things like CM Punk walking out doesn't get buried under 300 reaction posts so someone doesn't know what's going on by the time we get to "CM Punk is a pizzeria" jokes.

If you want to discuss some news, copy & paste it into the appropriate thread (if it isn't already being discussed there) and start talking about it. This thread is not for discussion!

MMA sources, stolen shamelessly from the UFC thread:

Credible wrestling sources:

TMZ can probably be trusted for the gossip side of things, but for anything actually pertaining to fighting/wrestling, it doesn't seem to be that reliable.

If you have sources to add to this list, PM me.

It's important to keep in mind that you're using the most reliable sources possible. A lot of wrestling sites like to copy & paste reports from Meltzer, et al, or even make misleading statements about what those sources are reporting. One recent example was that Meltzer reported that HHH was actively trying to keep Punk from coming back. What Meltzer actually said was that it sounds like HHH doesn't want him to come back but didn't plan on fighting it if it happened.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Might wanna fix that.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

The correct url is http://fuckthesnow.com

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Why does that work?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Dexters Secret posted:

Might wanna fix that.

Thanks!

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Here's the latest from Meltzer in today's update on the KENTA situation with WWE:

quote:

KENTA claimed he wasn't in Florida looking for a contract or a tryout. He said he went to have a WWE workout and executives were there watching. He said they have guys with monster physiques and guys who are superior athletes to him and it's not just about being good at wrestling. He said he was glad he came. KENTA will make an announcement about his future on Monday at the NOAH show at Korakuen Hall.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Results from last night's UFC 169: Overeem beat Mir (UD), Aldo beat Lamas (UD), Barao beat Faber (1st round TKO)

Discussion of the controversy surrounding the stoppage by Herb Dean in Barao's win against Faber

Faber says he tore his hamstring going into the fight

Meltzer says in his live coverage that 169 set the record for most decisions on a UFC card with 10.

UFC 173's main event will be Weidman vs Vitor Belfort, co-main event will be Chael Sonnen vs Wanderlai Silva

Aldo is reportedly going to vacate his featherweight belt so he can fight Anthony Pettis for the Lightweight Championship

Former Olympic gold medalist Henry Cejudo showed up late and overweight to his fight on the Legacy FC 27 show against Elias Garcia

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Observer Update posted:

--New Japan Pro Wrestling's Wataru Inoue at the Korakuen Hall show announced he was retiring due to a number of injuries, most notably degenerative arthritis in his right shoulder. He's been out of action for almost a year and there is no cure for what he has. He will remain with an office job in New Japan. There will be a retirement show on 4/2.

--In a Facebook response, the Key Arena in Seattle stated that they do not have Extreme Rules or a WWE show on 5/4.

-The reason C.M. Punk told Rener Gracie he'd see him in California next week is because he's filming the show @midnight in Hollywood that day. Some speculated Punk being in town the same day as Raw meant the whole thing was a work.

--Paul Bearer is expected to be announced for the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Per http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/35264-cena-injured-misses-show-today, Cena's was pulled from tonight's house show in Kansas City. He was poked in the eye last night legit by Orton, but it's not clear that that's the cause for being pulled from the show.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Daily Observer Update posted:

--The results of the 10/19 Jessica Eye vs. Sarah Kaufman fight, that Eye won, was changed to a no contest sue to Eye failing a drug test. However, she wasn't suspended. She was fined $1,875 and as put on probation. That's the first time I've heard of probation for a drug test failure, but the show was in Houston and that means the Texas commission was in charge. That means she can fight on the 2/22 UFC show, where she faces Alexis Davis. The drug she failed for hasn't been released publicly. Eye is protesting the decision.

--Two men were stabbed at the UFC show on Saturday night in Newark, NJ. They were stabbed before 8 p.m., meaning it was during the Fight Pass fights. Both were treated at Newark University hospital and their injuries weren't life threatening. Security recovered the knife and arrested 36-year-old Angel Pereira of Lancaster, PA, who was charged with several counts of aggravated assault and two weapons offenses.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Meltzer reports that outside of Reigns needing stitches, no one was injured on Raw last night, which is pretty amazing when you consider the bump Cody Rhodes took.

The WWE has posted a list of all the PPVs that will be available on the Network. This includes 1999's Over the Edge, where Owen Hart died.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If you somehow missed out on the Thiago Silva story, he is facing charges of aggravated assault and battery as well as resisting arrest without violence. This stems from an incident on February 7 where he allegedly held an automatic weapon in his wife's mouth (the two are in a separation). His contract with UFC was terminated as well.

In the year 2014, Betty White is hosting Raw tonight. That's an actual thing that is happening.

From yesterday's Meltzer update: "Apparently a fan pulled a knife on heel manager Thomas Simpson after a tag team match at the (Trans South Wrestling) show in Union, SC."

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Daily Observer Update posted:

-- Matt Jackson broke his hand towards the end of the 2/11 New Japan match and it most likely will require surgery. Thanks to KidZombie.

-- Regarding Betty White -- and this is not defending the laxative segment with the Outlaws, because it sucks no matter what -- the reason they did that is because her new TV show is about old people pranking younger people.

-- Thiago Silva's wife did an interview on a Brazilian website where she said Thiago Silva had become increasingly violent over the past three weeks, and that in the past he'd shoved a gun in her mouth and also thrown her down a flight of stairs. She blamed the problems on cocaine and said Silva felt he was above the law. More on his arrest is here.

-- Variety is reporting that WWE will be doing a sequel to Jingle All the Way AND a Marine 4 here. Actually, the Marine franchise has done better than I'd have ever imagined. Miz will be back as the Marine alongside Summer Rae, and Jingle All the Way 2 will feature LARRY THE CABLE GUY AND SANTINO.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Despite doing next to nothing with her, Raw ratings were up thanks to Betty White's appearance. It had 4.32 million viewers.

The UFC is eliminating submission and KO bonuses; they will be replaced by two "Performance of the Night" bonuses.

Antonio Cesaro is now just "Cesaro."

Current The Ultimate Fighter: Nations competitor Tyler Manawora will not be offered a contract at the end of the season after posting a racist image to his Instagram account 18 months ago.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Kensuke Sasaki, a long time puro fixture and Wrestling Observer Hall of Famer, retired yesterday.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

big daddy v has passed away apparently

https://twitter.com/ess316/status/435992051172122625

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Rashad Evans is going to be out for about six months after knee surgery later this week.

On yesterday's Wrestling Observer radio show, Dave Meltzer reported that Cesaro got a standing ovation from the back after his match with John Cena on Raw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wrestling Observer posted:

--Mysterio’s contract is the next major one to expire, in about two months or so. He has one of the highest downsides, and is also one of the biggest merchandise sellers. He’s got all the knee issues and it’s clear from his return that WWE has no plans to feature him. Usually at this point WWE would be aggressively trying to get him to sign a new deal and that hasn’t really been the case. When there was talk of him not coming back some time ago, some of the company’s business partners in Latin America freaked out because he’s the most important guy it is believed in those markets. But it’s long gone from the days when Smackdown was a top ten rated show in the Hispanic demo when he was there, and dropped greatly when he wasn’t. With Mark Burnett’s AAA project in the U.S., it would figure to be a lock that if he doesn’t sign, he’d be the featured guy in that project.

--Add Scott Hall to the Hall of Fame list for 2014. WWE likes people to keep it quiet but Hall strongly hinted at it on Twitter this weekend. Sources who knew the lineup going in noted Hall’s name was on the original list. Just for getting Hall and Jake Roberts into a condition where they actually could be put in without risking an embarrassment, DDP should go in this year as well. His name was not on that list. And for those who think DDP isn’t good enough, when you look at the list who is in, the isn’t good enough should never even be brought up. Mike Von Erich, who wrestled only a few years, and was one of the worst main eventers I ever saw, is in. Lou Thesz, Frank Gotch and Strangler Lewis are not.

--The new Marine movie written about last week, which stars Miz, and will also have Summer Rae in it, is called “The Marine: Moving Target,” and is expected to be released on DVD in March of 2015.

--For last weekend, the reason Mysterio was booked on the Northern California shows instead of in San Diego was the feeling that he’s been booked too often in San Diego. Considering they probably run twice a year or so there, and he’s been hurt a lot, it’s weird to think that they feel he’s overexposed in the market. San Diego ended up drawing the worst crowd of last week.

--There continues to be a push to bring in Chris Hero [to TNA], but there’s no deal in place.

--Jeff Jarrett did a video where he hinted at starting a promotion without outright saying it. He said his family has been in wrestling for 70 years, and he feels a boom period coming due to the WWE Network, AAA coming to the U.S. with Mark Burnett at the helm and what he is planning. Although nobody is saying it publicly, privately Jeff and Karen Jarrett are very unhappy with Dixie Carter and how things went down in TNA.

--New Japan is also looking at doing U.S. shows but it would be working with an existing group as opposed to running New Japan shows they would promote on their own. The impression I was given was there would be a May show in the New York market that a lot of the major names would be appearing on. I do know as of a month ago, that New Japan was working on a deal with ROH.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

http://www.wwe.com/inside/big-daddy-v-passes-26182717

WWE.com confirms it.

WWE.com posted:

WWE is saddened by the news that Nelson Frazier Jr., aka Big Daddy V and Mabel, has passed away. A larger-than-life Superstar, Frazier was a former World Tag Team Champion, Hardcore Champion and the 1995 King of the Ring.

As the dark, formidable Viscera, he was also a member of Undertaker's faction, The Ministry of Darkness. Frazier's colorful personality made him a memorable competitor throughout the Attitude Era.

Our deepest condolences go out to Frazier's family, friends and fans.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Jake the Snake tells TMZ that he has a cancerous tumor behind his knee. He's going to have surgery soon. He also says that "nothing will stop him from getting to New Orleans" for the Hall of Fame.

TMZ posted:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts has a cancerous tumor behind his knee ... and the wrestler says it's slowly growing into his muscle -- so he needs emergency surgery to remove the growth.

Roberts tells TMZ ... he noticed a tumor behind his knee the size of a half dollar last month so he had it tested ... and on Friday doctors told him the test came back positive for cancer.

Jake says he's scheduled to go under the knife Tuesday morning ... and after a few weeks off -- he'll make his return to Jersey Championship Wrestling on March 14th -- cancer, or not.

Jake adds, "If the devil can't defeat me, cancer doesn't stand a chance in hell! Pray for sick children who face this horrible disease 'cause The Snake will be just fine."

As for his upcoming induction into the WWE Hall of Fame ... the wrestler says nothing will stop him from getting to New Orleans for the ceremony.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/02/23/jake-the-snake-roberts-cancer-tumor-knee-surgery/#ixzz2uAK8Tm6i

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

per observer

quote:

WWE broke a major barrier earlier today as with the rising stock price, the company's market capitalization broke the $2 billion mark.

At this moment, with the stock trading at $27.03 a share, the highest total since a short period after going public, the market capitalization was $2.03 bllion.

vince is a billionaire again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Where did the future endeavors thread go?

WWE wishes the following superstars only the best in their future endeavors:

Curt Hawkins
Theodore Long
Camacho
Brodus Clay
Evan Bourne
Yoshi Tatsu

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Halloween Jack posted:

Where did the future endeavors thread go?

WWE wishes the following superstars only the best in their future endeavors:

Curt Hawkins
Theodore Long
Camacho
Brodus Clay
Evan Bourne
Yoshi Tatsu

And Aksana!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They have hindered Jinder.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Time for the big man to really step up and become a main event player in TNA

e: poo poo I need news! Drew McIntyre's gone as well.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
They broke up the band. Heath Slater, please be safe.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
The full list as of this moment:

quote:

Drew McIntyre
Jinder Mahal
Aksana
Curt Hawkins
Theodore Long
Camacho
Brodus Clay
Evan Bourne
Yoshi Tatsu
Marc Harris (referee)

I'm legitimately sad to see Jinder Mahal get cut.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
:siren: JTG HAS BEEN FIRED :siren:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sunsweet posted:

:siren: JTG HAS BEEN FIRED :siren:

HAHAHAHA they already updated the website:

http://www.lolwrestling.com/how-long-has-jtg-been-employed/

Not too happy about Drew or Bourne, but it became clear they weren't going to be doing anything with them. Yoshi's is probably for the best, he wasn't happy where he was.

And somehow Eva Marie's job is still safe.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 12, 2014

• Locked thread