Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rodyle posted:

Crispin Freeman Gottwald is good but the Japanese cast is actually perfect and whatever improvement JYB can be said to make he never comes close to FukuJun.

Fukuyama is seriously one of the primary attraction points of the show for me and I can't imagine anyone doing remotely as well at that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

R2 is worse than the first season in almost every single way.

This is true. That said, I don't think it makes R2 a waste of time. I find R2 to be really entertaining simply because it's one of those shows that you're not entirely sure how it's going to top its ridiculousness next. Some of the most memorably silly things in Geass are from R2.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

Oh so it was LELOUCH under the bandages

Schwarzwald is a maddened Lelouch in a world where Paradigm City was created as a step in Charles's instrumentality plan. The Megadeuses were actually tenth generation Knightmare frames.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I like the Tristan but then I love Starscream so.

Gino's big problem is they're trying to have a nice guy Britannian but A: they already HAVE A BUNCH OF THOSE WHO ARE WAY BETTER and B: it makes no sense for him to be a total loyalist like he is when literally all his friends are Numbers and Commoners and his backstory (which isn't in the show) is all about how he hates the class divide

It's actually really realistic to have a incredibly privileged upper class white guy who thinks he's totally cool and progressive and because he has some minority friends and totally thinks that the current government is super lovely while not acknowledging how much the status quo benefits him.

I mean Gino is still a horrible awful character who sucks but cognitive dissonance like this is effectively the normal state of the majority of human beings.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Unironically I don't think Suzaku is that bad a person. I mean he's a bad person but I don't think he's exceptional for the Geass universe.

He suffers for being someone who legitimately thinks he is taking the only path that has a good outcome and, unlike Lelouch, has no magical power advantages to back him up. He suffers massively from sunk cost fallacy but not in an unbelievable way. Until the moment he and Lelouch team up Suzaku doesn't really have any other good options. He could defect to the Black Knights but by the time they look like a legitimate choice they're already on the path to Euphiedisaster and once that happens Suzaku basically has nowhere to go and nothing to do but keep on the path he was on.

He's pitiable. He really genuinely wants to do good but also is a hosed-up guy who desperately wants to cling to the correctness of the rash choice he made as a child that he has no real option. And even that wouldn't be so bad except the universe just frigging shits on him 24/7 and every time he manages to eek out a moment of happiness someone pulls the rug out from under him. He's a shithead to Lelouch but it's sort of hard to blame him when even the *very best* reading of what happened is that Lelouch made the world's shittiest joke at the world's worst time and turned his girlfriend into a mass murdering monster.

He also is someone who genuinely wants to die and Lelouch steals that from him (again, pretty unintentionally) and in doing so means that Suzaku can't even frigging kill himself and the Live Geass eventually ends up making Suzaku nuke a city entirely out of his control, which is a hell of a thing.

I agree with this post except the bolded part. Suzaku has quite literally superhuman physical prowess(this is remarked upon several times, like when he outruns machine gun bullets), is a complete natural super ace pilot who can beat everyone in the entire setting except Kallen nearly effortlessly, and is portrayed as being nearly as incredibly smart as Lelouch(albeit not remotely as devious). He's not Regular Joe at all.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 13, 2016

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku is a regular joe, he's just absurdly talented and trained unless I missed something. I mean he's got the Live Geass which is ironically a boost to him but that is because of what it does to augment him. He's not magical though, just absurdly talented. After all Kallen is basically on the same level as him.

Even ignoring all of the dropped "something is fucky with Suzaku" C.C. scenes in S1, his role in the Britannian military was "faceless grunt infantryman in a disposable infantry platoon composed of hated minority troopers" until he happened to get picked up by Lloyd by accident, so he didn't have any special super awesome training. He's naturally gifted enough to outrun machine gun bullets being fired by an automatic turret even before he gets Live Geassed in a world where normal people can't do that. He's way, way, way above a normal person's physical abilities in pretty much every category which is super key to him being able to accomplish literally anything he does.

Kallen is never, ever presented as remotely as physically insane as Suzaku is. She ends up being his equal as a pilot in their super god mechs but she's never shown shattering iron spears with kicks; she's portrayed as a pretty normal person when separated from her mech.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Bismark had a Geass which kinda skews things, although apparently he doesn't overly rely on it but it means he's got a massive trump card.

...Of course his Geass can apparently be defeated through the clever trick of 'charging directly at him' so...

Bismark was one of the dumbest things about S2, christ. They gave him buildup as a huge badass KNIGHT OF ONE and gave him a geass and a custom mech and everything and he does precisely nothing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm also fine with them condensing the hell out of R2.

If they're willing to scrap the entire ridiculously dumb Lelouch memory wipe plotline and some of the dumber poo poo like Kallen spending half the series in a glass jar getting interrogated, they could safely cut an enormous chunk of R2 without losing the relevant bits.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 6, 2017

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The reason why the beginning of R2 is less lovely than the end of R2 is because the beginning of R2 is heavily a retread of the first season, which was good. It's still pretty redundant.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

The black knight coup is easily the worst bit of the entire series and there's so many other ways they could have done it to make it better. Like having Todoh and Rakshata be somewhere else for starters, or not have people like Xingke or Kaguya just believe what they're told by the coup people later, or oh I dunno, not have it center around the leaders believing their enemy telling them their boss has brainwashing eye magic.

e: lol Diethard of all people getting a line in the trailer

The way the betrayal was done still boils my blood because of what a complete fuckup it was. It is 1000% believable that someone as shifty and untrustworthy as Lelouch would inspire distrust and discontent in his subordinates, especially given his incredibly shady behavior in R2. A "Black Knights depose/turn against Lelouch" plotline is a totally plausible idea that makes sense from a plot standpoint, since it's Lelouch's chickens coming home to roost. Then they decided to have the betrayal happen because Schneizel, the grand commander of the Black Knights' mortal enemy, shows up and says "Oh yeah your supreme leader who brought you from being about to be killed in a ghetto by my nation's death squads to being a world superpower is a shifty guy who has literal mind control powers that you're just finding out exist for the first time, you should all totally betray him now" and they all believed him. There's no questioning phase, no debate, no one going "what, our leader has magic powers? that's loving awesome!", no "why should we trust this Britannian dick who we're at war with", we just go straight from that to "everyone pointing guns at Lelouch in the hangar and they're all about to loving murder him because he won't talk in public".

Christ.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Rodyle posted:

I mean it's more like it's the perfect example of why compilation movies are dumb ideas.

Cutting out huge swathes of early R2 is almost assuredly a strict improvement because early R2 was extremely redundant and basically stalled out the story right at a climax cliffhanger.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

wielder posted:

Aside from the various manga spin-offs, which are more known within Japan than anywhere else (although a few did get European releases)...the animated side of things hasn't been too active, comparatively speaking, and that's what most folks will pay attention to.

The new movie is arguably the first time this property is actually reaching people in significant numbers since 2008, both in Japan and abroad. It's a return in the sense that many weren't really aware about Akito being a thing between 2012 and 2016, nor did the long delays help.

I imagine they don't want to have such a slow release schedule this time around and would instead try a very different approach, whether it's intended for TV, another movie or something else.

Akito the Exiled wasn't that long ago and that was a big OVA series. Geass never really died down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I hard disagree, I think it's one of the worst and most boring. The SEITEN isn't really fighting anyone, it's just flying around and making whoosh noises and things blow up all around it. The only glimmers of cool stuff(her parrying the head horn, her radiation-popping Bradley) are stuff she did all the time in the older suits but had much better movement choreography and involved her actually having to connect with enemies instead of waving her arm and making a bunch of Gundam SEED explosions. In the SEITEN's defense, this problem also applies equally to the Albion, given that it wipes out most of an attack force by flapping its stupid energy wings at them.

The SEITEN's best and probably only really good fight is the final one against the Albion, and not coincidentally that fight involves the two participants mauling each other so badly that they lose all their dumb fancy tech and have to go back to season 1 style maneuvers and fisticuffs to resolve the issue.