Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geass has a lot of problems but I really liked how they handled the final fight.

Any other show would have had Suzaku take a dive to fulfill his plan and thus leave the Suzaku/Kallen rivalry unanswered. Geass set it up so Suzaku literally could not take a dive in the fight because he was up against someone talented enough to kill him and thus had to fight at his best and Kallen is allowed to just squeak out a win without Suzaku's latter survival devaluing it because Suzaku as a character could not have held back in that fight even if he ended up surviving it.

Also the first thing they do is tear off each other's stupid stupid wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lelouch is totally dead and the ending makes no sense if he isn't. The entire point of what he did (for himself) was dying to redeem himself for his sins. It doesn't work if you fake your death. Even SRW writes around his death by having him saved by Celestial Being super-science, not just having him survive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I agree that makes the most sense, but I can see it going the other way. As you say, he definitely has to die at the end for the story to work, but "death" doesn't have to be literal. Even if he lived on, the human being named Lelouch is gone forever, good as dead. He can never go back to that life. So, rather than taking his survival as "happily ever after" ending, he's accepted a CC's curse of immortality in the same way he's taken on all the hatred from the world. In a way, it's even worse than death; he doesn't get to just escape from his sins, and has to continually suffer indefinitely in a sort of living-purgatory.

It still don't make any sense though. It also means he's screwing over Suzaku one last time for no real reason other than because I guess he really wants to gently caress over Suzaku. "Hey Suzaku, you get to bear the mantel of Zero for the rest of your life, working to atone for your own sins. Meanwhile I get stabbed and now I get to go chill with my immortal girlfriend. I'm outie!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Interviews with the director also pretty say Lelouch is dead, I think it's worth mentioning. Death of the author and all but the dude is supposed to be dead as far as these things are concerned.

quote:

That's true. There are probably a lot of people who think of it as a Bad End, a tragedy, considering the protagonist's, Lelouch's end as well. However, Lelouch says in the first episode: "Only those prepared to be shot are allowed to pull the trigger themselves." If you were to think of that as his pride, then I think his getting killed in the end was a logical end. Of course, I understand that not all of the viewers will accept this ending. There were people who wanted a happier ending, after all.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That's really stretching.

Basically this entire argument is "Lelouch survived, but it happened entirely offscreen and they decided to never show it, and literally the only reason to do this is because audience members are unwilling to accept the protagonist dying a tragic death." Considering that Okouchi went on to do Valvrave which also has the protagonist die in a self-sacrifice moment in the last episode while he is held by his super-soldier best friend , I think the dude just likes that kind of ending.

And as far as the Happy Ending quote, again:

quote:

Which is why I think of both our and Lelouch's decision as Happy Ends. I believe that there will be better things in the tomorrow awaiting Nunnally, Kallen and the rest who have been left behind. And surely Lelouch, who was able to make this into a reality, can only be happy [about this].

Also

List of people who died in R2. Check the bottom.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Suzaku deserves every bad thing that happens to him, and he certainly doesn't deserve someone as awesome as Kallen (remember that Refrain thing? gently caress Suzaku).

Having said that, I feel the notion of Suzaku's end being "bad" is greatly exaggerated. Okay yes his name is reviled and he has to be Zero forever, but when you get down to it he still gets to live out his life hanging with Nunally and everyone important pretty much figured out who Zero is during the parade. Lelouch on the other hand gets jack poo poo for all his efforts (if dead, which I think he is as much as I'd like it to be otherwise), to say nothing of how miserable a bunch of other characters like Kallen are in the end.

Oh but it's okay because Ougi and Viletta are married and he's Prime Minister!:suicide:

Suzaku has to live the rest of his life atoning for what he did, forced to take on the face of the person responsible for the death of the woman he loved, and to (hopefully) do good works in the name of that person and he's unable to kill himself to ever escape from it. That's a pretty lovely end for a guy who has no real joy in his life and who wanted nothing more than to die. The fact that people know who he is doesn't change that.

And honestly, if you think Suzaku shouldn't have gotten a good ending because of things like Refrain, Lelouch shouldn't have either. Lelouch spend most of the series doing absolutely abhorrent things and no amount of good intentions can change the fact that he toyed with people's minds in utterly obscene ways. He made people murder other people, made people betray those close to them, made people kill themselves, started and prolonged wars, and in general did an absolute laundry list of absolutely disgusting things. That's discounting the things that were entirely out of his control but still the result of his actions. (Euphemia and Suzaku's nuking both being good examples here.)

Lelouch might be the main character but he isn't a good person. It's easy to forget that he leaves a trail of horror and destruction in his wake and there are countless Oranges and Vilettas and Suzakus among the survivors of his Geass who don't get the benefit of main character screen time.

XboxPants posted:

No, the reason they didn't show him surviving is obviously because they meant for him to have died. That's not the argument, because that's clearly what they intended the ending to mean. The argument is that what they intended is irrelevant if you're just talking about different ways of looking at the story. I prefer the "Lelouch dies" ending and acknowledge it's how they intended the ending, I just think it's interesting to consider other possibilities.

No, this is a case where people are canonically arguing that he totally survived and that was the writer's intention, not Death of the Author readings of the story.

wielder posted:

Even Gundam has contradictory information in officially licensed printed materials, such as guide books, magazines, manuals, etc. about how certain events went down, not just numbers and other data. It's also not hard to assume that's part of the deception, since teechnically the person known as Lelouch vi Britannia is definitely no more.

Yes, but at this point, there's absolutely nothing contradicting it. This isn't like Gundam canonical stuff where two different things are contradiction. It is one flat straightly stated answer and nothing official contradicting it. There's no point anyone, anywhere, at any point has stated Lelouch survives as far as I'm aware, or even given any indication that Lelouch's survival is a matter of debate. If he wasn't a popular main character it wouldn't even be up for debate.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

It's not really that I really wish Lelouch was not dead or anything, but I really can't parse that ending as anything but a hint to his survival.

She is clearly talking to someone and not just some ephemeral non-existant person. A thing we've seen her do throughout the show and that actually had a conclusion and outcome.

I mean, it's not a story that has to be told, but it's there is the author ever wants to use it.

She's talking to the dead person. It is not the first or last time in Code Geass someone talks to someone who isn't there. Suzaku does it to Euphemia. Does that mean Euphemia is actually alive and was just offscreen the entire time?

Rodyle posted:

Most of the terrible things Lelouch does are in his capacity as a revolutionary leader, meaning ultimately the morality of those actions does indeed come down to whether you think the cause is just enough to make those means acceptable and whether his victims deserve what he does to them. Now, if you want to argue that the act of starting a violent revolution is an inherently immoral one regardless of one's cause... well that's kind of the discussion the show wants the viewer to have in the first place, since that is the entire point of Suzaku. Well, at least until he turns into a complete hypocrite and the entire Lelouch vs Suzaku dynamic the show spun on is hosed up. Not that Suzaku's cause was ever rock solid to begin with since all the superiors he signs up with are more cartoonish in their supervillainy than even the guy dancing around in a cape and mask while laughing maniacally could dream of being.

Lelouch isn't leading a rebellion for a great and noble cause though. He's doing it A) For revenge and B) to keep his sister safe. He isn't ambiguous about this and his primary goal, especially early, is basically Char Aznable. You can make arguments for the Black Knights on their own but Lelouch is pretty unambiguously using most of them and the fact that he eventually stops using them doesn't change the fact that he was for a very long time and a good chunk of his actions are predicated on his own schemes for revenge.

That's ignoring the things he does which are not based in his role as a revolutionary leader but are just him being kind of a shithead. It's easy to remember that mind control is a really creepy and awful thing to do to someone and Lelouch uses it casually. The girl he Geasses to mark a wall every day is fairly low on the list of victims but she is still someone who is forced to do something against her will every day because Lelouch wanted to test how his powers work. (And if you believe the supplimental material she's still cursed to do it even when she's too far away to do it.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodyle posted:

Those would be his reasons for taking UP the cause. That he isn't a true believer in it (at least at first) does not change that he's still the champion of that cause. He really is fighting to free Japan and break Britannia's hold on the world, even if he's doing it for selfish reasons. Again, that's the whole crux of the show, Lelouch believing you can only deal with corruption in a system by destroying it vs Suzaku saying you can rise up through the ranks to fix it.

It does though, because when Lelouch is faced with a potential outcome that works in their favor but not in his, he has a freakout and starts plotting ways to destroy it because it ruins his own plans to use the Rebellion. He only gives in when Euphemia reveals that she was doing it for Nunally. Every choice he makes there is based upon his own needs and wants and not an iota of care about Area 11's inhabitants. He is only fighting to free Japan insomuch as freeing Japan gives him an effective warbase to do his own things.

The thing is that neither Lelouch nor Suzaku are what they say they are. Suzaku claims to be fighting to change the system from the inside, and he is, but he's also a near-suicidal and pretty crazy person who desperately wants justification for the horrible act he took in his childhood. Lelouch dresses his wants up in noble clothes but in the end of the day he's more interested in saving Nunally and getting revenge than he is about breaking Brittanian corruption. Both characters are pretty hosed up.

By the end of R2, yeah, Lelouch is willing to sacrifice himself in order to actually bring about lasting peace and Suzaku is willing to become the symbol of bloody rebellion. That's where their arcs go. Ironically both of them actually get the end goal they wanted only by adopting the other's methods.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elite posted:

What doesn't make sense about Lelouch taking C.C.'s immortality code to survive an otherwise fatal attack?

The rules of the universe allow it.
Lelouch would almost certainly think of it.
It seems like a superior option for everybody in the know (better for Lelouch, C.C. and Suzaku)

It only doesn’t make sense if Lelouch has a hard-on for self-annihilation, which is not something I’m convinced about. Yes he's willing to die for his cause, but killing himself unnecessarily is something completely different. Lelouch has always shown himself to be a pragmatist and suicide is not the only form of sacrifice nor is it the only path to redemption. Also Lelouch tricking people and dicking them over is literally his M.O. for the entire series, so I don't see why it's thematically inappropriate for the ending.

If Lelouch isn't around then who is with C.C. at the end and why is their face hidden and why has C.C. changed her outlook on life.

Again I'm not saying this is the only interpretation, but at the very least I think it's ambiguous rather than being a definite death.

Because it is in fact incredibly thematically inappropriate. The entire point of Zero's Requiem is that it is Lelouch seeking redemption for all the screwing over he's done throughout the entire series. Him having a built-in escape clause so he gets to have his cake and eat it too defeats the point of any actual attempt at redemption he was making and devalues the entire ending. A big part of the ending is that Suzaku and Lelouch finally unite and then become one another. Part of the irony is that Suzaku is forced to live while Lelouch dies, just like how Suzaku is forced to become the leader of the bloody rebellion and Lelouch becomes leader of the entrenched status quo. Lelouch could totally have figured out a way to survive but at that point Lelouch isn't trying to find a way to survive. The dude is wholeheartedly honestly willing to die.

Add on to this that it isn't shown anywhere onscreen at any point and the 'ambiguous' thing is "C2 says Lelouch's name while having a monologue about how Geass didn't leave him solitary and alone" and it becomes ridiculous. It isn't like there weren't a million chances to drop an actual meaningful hint or show Lelouch's eyes under the cart driver or whatever specific thing you want to say. This entire argument is predicated on "Lelouch is just offscreen! We're not shown him being offscreen, he doesn't say anything, but he's totally there." C2 doesn't even turn her head or anything to indicate she is talking to someone else. She's looking at the sky the entire time. Her entire last line is about the fact that she told him the Geass was a path of solitude but he eventually achieved his goal using the help of others. (His entire last speech to Suzaku.)

And seriously, his last words are "You will no longer live as Suzaku, you must sacrifice your own happiness for the world's." Following that up with "But I, on the other hand, am totally surviving this poo poo and going off to hang out with my girlfriend" makes no sense for Lelouch at that point unless you're arguing every bit of guilt and shame he had was faked.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elite posted:

Also you accept that the solution works and that it’s something Lelouch would have thought of, but you’re arguing that he would’ve decided against it?

It's not logically impossible in that it is impossible to come up with a series of events where it happens. That doesn't mean that they are plausible or justified events. You can come up with plenty of ways for anyone to survive anything in any setting but that doesn't mean they actually happened. That is why the show shows things happening.

Elite posted:

Also you accept that the solution works and that it’s something Lelouch would have thought of, but you’re arguing that he would’ve decided against it?

The solution works in that these are things that exist in the setting. Even assuming that Lelouch could actually do what is stated? Yes, I do think Lelouch intended to die because he has extreme immense guilt and shame over the death of Euphemia and over the massive number of absolutely horrific events he was a direct contributor to and his death is a form of penance to Suzaku and the world.

Elite posted:

There is a long inner-monologue from Kallen about the state of world where she clearly considers him dead, but C.C.s last lines "I said that the Geass is the power of the king which would condemn you to a life of solitude. I think that's not quite correct. Right, Lelouch?" are said out-loud to a mysterious masked figure whilst looking pretty happy.

No it isn't, and in fact you're making that up entirely. She says it while lying alone in a cart of hay and never looks away from the sky while she says it. There's a 'mysterious masked figure' in that there is a cart driver who the camera literally never focuses on. Also they clarified in interviews that C2's "time with Lelouch came to an end" so even if you believed he survived he wasn't with C2. (They also said they put his body into Damocles before they sent it to the sun but that's pretty easy to justify a write-around.)

Elite posted:

Really the world is not improved through his death, just by people believing that he died and the only people who would know the difference are those that want him to survive.

Who would know the difference? Not Suzaku, who was literally crying as he stabbed Lelouch. Not Nunally. Certainly not Kallen. Who else is left besides C2 who would be happy about Lelouch's survival?

Perhaps the biggest problem with the whole argument is that absolutely nothing is gained from it aside from "see, the character I liked didn't die!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CMD598 posted:

There are literally billions of people in setting butthurt over things like Brittania invading/conquering them, Lelouch's bloody rule (He probably still can't beat Stalin in the dictator ranks), or Britannia literally giving up all of it's conquests because reasons, and putting some of the weakest people in charge of it.

I don't see how anyone can see this as a lasting peace.

Because it is an anime and it says so. It isn't trying to be realistic. This isn't a Watchmen case where it ends with a fairly clear indication that all of this was for nothing and it's going to come tumbling down. The ending is everyone happy and cheerful and talking about how they're feeding orphans instead of waging war. As far as the story is concerned peace was won.

Conot posted:

Of course, this is all based on the idea that he took the Code, but its hardly headcanon based on wanting a character to be alive. Its one of multiple interpretations for the end.

Again, it isn't. It's based off a single reading of a single line without anything else to back it up. Everything about "he took the code" is literally made up out of thin air. Not a single iota of it is shown onscreen or hinted at in interviews or mentioned in errata material or anything. If that isn't headcanon then I don't know what is.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Conot posted:

Again, up to interpretation, but putting a full stop in Lelouch's story doesn't sound to me like "He's dead you nerds get over it", but rather a ambigous answer that he won't have a further role in the stories of other characters, which would fit perfectly with a Lelouch who has faked his death and resigned himself to a quiet life.

How does "his story ended, full stop" mean anything but he's dead? Wouldn't being an immortal code-wielder by definition mean his story wasn't done? Especially since it says the other character's stories are still going?

And that line isn't referring to the ending. It's referring to the setting in general. There's still mysteries left in the world of Code Geass.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CMD598 posted:

I don't know, I thought it was pretty obviously indicated that almost everyone in the setting is some kind of a huge dick, and I think you should know by now that Sunrise doesn't believe in any lasting peace and this thing is more open for future conflict than any Gundam. Moreover, I don't think "because plot" is required to apply after the plot is over especially when the plot was hilariously irrational. But hey you're free to believe what you want.

Seriously though, you could probably start multiple wars just by mentioning that the guy who nuked literally everyone is still in charge of a big chunk of the world.

The ending, again, literally has everyone smiling and cheering and talking about how they are feeding the poor and hungry and weapons of war have been dismantled. The guy who nuked people is under mind control (which is pretty lovely for him, mind) to obey and help. The horrible weapon that nuked everyone was shot into the sun. If you took "and then everything went to poo poo and everyone died" from that I don't know what to say but in that case I can firmly say that it wasn't what the show was going for. (See the "happy ending" quotes.)

"Sunrise doesn't believe in lasting peace" is a particularly hilarious argument when you look at the massive list of shows that Sunrise made. Even if you just mean it in the "and shows inevitably get sequels" way, it's still pretty iffy. There's a lot of stuff which never got sequels and Geass so far has only gotten Akito which is specifically set before the ending of the show.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Honestly, not worth continuing the conversation, it's going to go in circles. Sorry.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

And it also kind of makes sense of the flashback thing that's going on when Nunnally touches his body, it's very much similar to some of the images C.C. could feed to people.

Regardless of anything else, this is actually not related to Codes at all. Nunally has the poorly explained power to read people's minds/sense their lies when touching them. She actually does it (less explicitly) earlier in the series.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, responding to this way too late.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Suzaku totally has an impact on Lelouch's choice because Suzaku, even by the end, is basically the only real friend Lelouch has ever had. that said, I don't think Lelouch was ever not going to sacrifice himself, it may have just have taken a different from than it does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

I mean, if you pretend C.C. doesn't exist, yeah, sure.

C.C's relationship with Lelouch is many things but they're not friends in the same way Lelouch and Suzaku were. She's more like his partner in crime when she isn't being aloof self-interest or potential love interest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Is she even this? Lelouch doesn't seem to even consider her much of a woman aside from the beginning at a point and she doesn't seem to consider him that way at any point either. Just the crew assumes she is Zero's concubine for some reason.

Totally.

Also goddamn that art style and people trying to kiss is all kinds of hilarious.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Its ok to like a thing and still criticize it :shrug:

But yeah, its a bummer. Half the time Kallen is a great strong female character who kicks tons of rear end and the other half they turn her into the damsel in distress and parade around her huge knockers.

I think Kallen mostly does extremely well for the genre, which is kind of faint-rear end praise. She is fanserviced to hell and back and the China arc is basically making GBS threads all over her, but otherwise she mostly is treated extremely reasonably by mecha show standards. Her biggest 'damsel' moment (being captured after China) still involves her kicking the poo poo out of Suzaku and she's rescued by another female character followed by showing up to save Lelouch instead of vice-versa.

Like, faint praise indeed but she's at least allowed to do things and have badass moments and be cool which is a lot more than you can say about most characters of her archetype. It'd be even better if it wasn't tied to bunny outfits and the terrible Guren cockpit design.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gino is a tremendously terrible character. I had no idea he even had any fans.

I mean even ignoring everything else his goddamn voice actor is completely poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rodyle posted:

I'll never get the hate for China as an arc, unless you just hate Kallen losing to Xingke (Which did suck, especially since the Shen Hu is so boring). It's filled with amazing bits and centers are the weird theatrics/politics blend that makes Geass fun. The worst arc is everything from the Black Knight mutiny onward, which is good exactly as long as Lelouch is making some triumphant speech and then lapses back into poo poo again.

Hating Milly and Rivalz is a crime.

Viletta is the failed Jeremiah. He got over his racism and got a sweet plantation, a daughter, a ninja wife, and eternal life as the symbol of loyalty. She got over her racism and got hitched to a man with a really lovely pomp.

The China arc is basically worthless. Very little of value happens for the screentime that is given to it, none of the characters end up being very important, and Xingke basically comes across as Midorikawa's fanfiction insert so he can get into another SRW. You could remove a good chunk of the China arc and nothing of value would be lost.

And yes, it also has Kallen losing and getting captured in a crazy-forced way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

The China arc is kind of emblematic of the whole second season for me. It's not terribly coherent and feels really tacked on while adding nothing new. There's nothing really new that we get about Lelouch or the black knights, so I wish that the second season had focused more on Suzaku's side instead, giving more of a view into his thoughts and motivations and more characterization of the other knights. Were they all true believers in Britannia (obviously not) or did others have motivations similar to Suzaku's? Also give them a chance to look competent rather than get chumped by the super lancelot later. The conclusion would not have to be changed at all, but they wouldn't have to shoe horn in unnecessary stuff like Rolo or the unfortunate things that happened to Viletta. Also there would have been more Lloyd and Cecille, and that would have been a good thing. And maybe Karen wouldn't have been locked up for 2/3 of the season.

Really I feel worse for Viletta than Karen in terms of how skeezy the show gets with her. She could have been an interesting character and sort of counterpart to Suzaku as an honorary Britannian questioning the system she's part of, but instead she just ends up existing primarily for, well, what you see above.

Kallen at least gets to have a whole shitload of awesome moments. Viletta just gets poo poo on from start to finish and ends up falling in love with a guy who is effectively a rapist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

:stare: I know Ougi is a piece of poo poo but you might have to explain this part to me.

Ougi finds her, kidnaps her, locks her in his house, gives her a new name and then sleeps with her while she has amnesia, all while being well aware that she's in vulnerable state and that he's just exploiting her to get Zero's identity, even if he himself develops feelings in the process. It's really creepy and exploiting someone who is no position to response and it's pretty telling the first thing she does afterwards is shoot him in the goddamn gut.

Of course you're supposed to read it as "she is able to express her ~true feelings~ without the burden of her memory" or some poo poo but considering the show has a lot of emphasis on the idea that taking someone's memory is a lovely thing to do, it doesn't really flow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Knightmare frames were so much cooler when they were all ground bound.

To be honest there are very few robots this doesn't apply to. Flight is super-often an excuse for lazy robot fights.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

So did Lelouche die or not?

It's been over a decade. He dead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Singing Chav posted:

So how much of this show exists now? I watched the first two seasons a while ago and dug them then they did a bunch of weird (and mostly pretty bad I'm told) side story nonsense. Apparently this new 1.5 mini series thing is worth checking out.

The only things relevant to the main show are Code Geass, Code Geass R2 (the second season) and Akito, which is a sidestory set between the two. Everything else is an alternate-universe retelling of the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

I finished s1. Dragged a little at the start but it really caught my interest towards the end. How does s2 compare? Is it a "I can't believe you're watching some sort of lovely yaoi anime instead of watching this show" or a "eh. Get to it when you can" I need new paste on my htpc so it's a small financial investment to continue.

R2 is worse than the first season in almost every single way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The China arc is such a horrible drag but R2 has tons of "why are you even bothering oh right fanservice" moments like... anything involving frigging Jeremiah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I don't think anyone is surprised that Lelouch is getting revived. I'm mostly surprised they waited this long but I guess they pretty much got around it with Not Lelouch Really in Akito anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect what will happen is that we'll get some new Kallen-style "viewpoint" character who ends up reviving Lelouch using some brand of plot magic so the very first episode will end with him dramatically returning, popping his Geass, and ordering a bunch of people to kill themselves again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Squallege posted:

I can't wait to see what happens to Shirley this time!

I presume she remains rotting in her grave.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

livingfruitvirus posted:

He'll probably say "Yeah, so we wanted to make more Code Geass, so we're ret-conning the ending. Turns out he's alive."

Considering it's titled "Lelouch of the Resurrection" it's a lot more likely he'll say "he was dead but hey turns out code magic can bring someone back to life."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Charles anyways?

Yeah there's like three different already-canonical outs for resurrecting someone with a Code so it's always kind of beet a matter of When, not If we got a Lelouch rez.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

The most likely situation, I've always thought, was that Lelouch wouldn't have manifested a Code until he actually died.

The thing I can't help but wonder is.. what force is DUMB enough to make a Lelouch who got nearly everything he wanted return?

I suspect the outcome is "something happens to Nunally"

It's pretty easy to imagine Suzaku mysteriously vanishing for at least part of the story too so Lelouch can get back into the Zero costume.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Sunrise tried to recreate the magic of Geass like 5 times and failed every time, this sequel will probably be bad.

I hope though.

Oh it's probably going to be loving horrible. The key is if it's just BAD horrible or of it's 'nonstop insane trainwreck" horrible. The latter is the true spirit of Geass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder how absurd the mecha power levels will get. I mean the Guren Seiten and the Lancelot Albion were loving insane beam-winged monstrosities and I presume the rules of mecha anime means they're both going to get some sort of upgraded variant.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

It was also cool because it showed Kallen was better than the guy with a curse to survive who knows how to exploit it.

The fight was pretty careful to keep it clear that both of them were basically exactly on par with one another. The Guren was slightly higher spec, Suzaku was unable to overcome that even with his Geass, and the end of the fight came down to a hair breath.

I actually really thought it was a smart idea for how to make them fight to the death despite Suzaku having a Plan. Suzaku's Live geass means he literally can't throw a fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pretty much everything in R2 between the first episode and Lelouch The Emperor is completely goddamn awful and honestly most of Lelouch the Emperor is pretty bad too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

darealkooky posted:

I'd hate to just ask "give me a list of things that suck" but I genuinely don't see it. I feel like a bunch of stuff that could've been really stupid (lelouch is back in school again, basically everything with rolo and the geass cult) was handled in a way that made me overall enjoy it.

I would agree that season 1 is tighter, but I don't understand at all people that think large parts of it are horrible trainwrecks or whatever. I did essentially marathon it instead of having to watch it weekly, so maybe that helped?

The plot point are basically nonsense. I mean frigging Jeremiah Gottwald returns as a cyborg with an anti-geass eyeball only to promptly switch sides and join Lelouch the moment he's caused enough forced drama plot points. Kallen gets randomly shot down so she can be captured for multiple episodes so they can upgrade her robot for no reason. The entire plot just kind of meanders along hitting random points because it's super clear they had "Lelouch the Emperor" in mind as the endgame but not enough content to fill everything leading up to it.

If you liked it that's cool but I found it a large waste of time until the last 3-ish episodes where it finally got back onto the plot it clearly wanted to have. I certainly disliked basically every new character R2 introduced.