Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ok I just finished watching all of Code Geass and my god I have a lot of :words: to say about it, if any one is still here. I may also be breaking a rule about inactivity but gently caress I don't see another Geass thread and I have to get this poo poo out.

A long time ago I was recommended to watch this because it has mechs and it's a "good" scifi anime. I was also recommended Evangelion but hearing loose stuff about that series and hearing almost nothing about this one I decided I'd check this one out instead. I honestly think that was for the best since it's made by the same company that made Gundam...even though I have never formally watched a single Gundam series.

I don't even know where to really start, I should've just done the smart thing and done a live posting because so much of the poo poo that ended up occurring I just ended up shouting at my desk or random things in my house (and texting some friends who had never seen the series so they were confused as gently caress too). I have to say that I had thought that over the course of the first series I had thought "ok this is interesting, Lelouch is certainly a child and is acting as such a lot of the time but gently caress you Suzaku and your loving Lancelot :argh: this is getting old" and during the more melodramatic parts it was like "holy poo poo this is an animated soap opera, but it's BETTER than a real soap opera" especially whenever Euphie would show up especially when she opens a channel to Suzaku and is all "I command you to love me" :allears: Christ I was actually super choked when Lelu hosed up and geassed her. I gotta say that I was surprised with all the T&A that was just causally being thrown around throughout the series and all of a sudden surprise flash from Kallen, with accompanying suggestive position of Suzaku restraining her...aren't these kids not adults? Well as one of my friends and I came to the conclusion, that's Japan for you.

Moving along from there we come to the end of the first series and whaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuuuuuuuuuuuuck just happened :psyduck: I mean that was a pretty good cliffhanger to do but hooooooly poo poo that loving wrecked me, and then the start to the new series god drat that was some good poo poo. I will say this before moving on to the discussion of the rest of the series but what the gently caress was up with the camera shots for people piloting knightmares? All the male pilots are just chilling in their captain chairs but all the girls are bent over like they're riding a crotch rocket bike? Complete with starting at their rear end at the beginning of the shot? Ok, ok, yes Japan but come on now.

Alright, alright I'll get back to the rest of the series, I really enjoyed watching Lelouch be a few steps from his competition, like with the "I am Spartacus" ploy, but it was also really cool to see him get pressed and again going into "oh gently caress I can't allow that to happen, it will RUIN EVERYTHING" mode whenever something went wrong. Also was kinda surprised that nothing ever came of Xingke's illness. All that posturing about "oh no he doesn't have long to live" but, well he's alive and well at the end of R2 so what even was the point? Hell it didn't even come into effect WHILE he was fighting, sure a couple times he looked like he was in pain but he still did fine and win in pretty much EVERY skirmish he got into. I say again, what the gently caress was the point of that trait. Still some times I wonder what would happen if Zero/Lelouch actually, I dunno, communicated with anyone outside of C.C., Kallen or, gently caress I guess that was it and it was more C.C. than anyone else. Seriously, outside of forcing drama what would he have really lost to bring in loving Tohdoh at the very least for most of his plans. Sure it's all well and good when everyone who is a soldier and has been in more campaigns for longer than these past 14 months all of a sudden goes "oh he's doing X, good planning there Zero I am now on board" but Jesus wept it gets boring after the 6th or 12th or you know what that was probably one of the only things that annoyed the poo poo out of me throughout the series. I am all for making it seem like the audience thinks "oh poo poo Zero might actually lose :ohdear:" every so often but I guaran-loving-tee you that the Black Knights wouldn't have bought Schneizel's bald faced lying if Zero actually kept a proper war council or at least SOMETHING.

However I suppose it makes sense that Lelouch of all people would not trust ANYone older than him or in some kind of a position of power considering how well that's worked out for him in the past. Of course that was something else I was gonna get into, how loving obvious Schneizel was with his scheming to get the Black Knights on side and against Lelouch but poo poo I think it's ok that he could easily dupe the Black Knight leaders. You know what happens when no one actually knows anything about you except that you're the only person who makes the plans work? Well you lose a lot of credibility when you don't have a plan B and you have to abandon a pinnacle battle for "reasons" as far as your soldiers are concerned. Of course the Geass ploy was a huge help too, again it worked in Schneizel's favour because Lelouch has never been honest with anyone outside of C.C. and some times Kallen, he couldn't even be honest with Suzaku about why Euphie died. No you didn't "use your Geass", you hosed up so just own up to that. Sure I guess Sazuku ended up on side in the end but for fucks sake unless Lelouch had some loving 20 step plan going (which he clearly didn't considering how surprised he was that Schneizel showed up) what real benefit did he have to continue lying to Suzaku? "Did you use your geass on Euhpie?" "I'm sorry Suzaku, I hosed up, it wasn't supposed to happen." poo poo I'll bet he never even told Suzaku the whole story in those whole two months that they were planning his "assassination", some friend.

I'm not really going to touch on what happened with the Emperor because those episodes I was just like "wait :stare: what the gently caress is happening :psyduck: what the gently caress was the point of all this build up over the past 40 episodes?" and when it was over and...you know I don't really understand why Lelouch just kept geassing people, I guess absolute power corrupts absolutely? but hell I agree with other people saying how could the keep calling Zero/Lelouch a monster when he wasn't the one detonating nuclear loving weapons!?!

I think I'm rambling at this point so I think I'll say more when I've digested the series more, guess that's what happens when you watch 2 or 3 episodes a night and then just turn on full "oh gently caress mode" and just power through 30 episodes over a 10 hour period. Also my post is starting to look like Anya's personnel file :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh definitely, after I posted it dawned on me it was something that happened with all the Black Knights, I guess I was just frustrated that most of the shots of the women pilots was rear end shots 70% of the time and it just kind of irked me after awhile. I mean, I love me some good T&A like any other hot blooded male but it just happened a bit too often as far as I was concerned, hence my pointing out of that one scene between Kallen and Suzaku.

Now that I think more on it Kallen's sexualization really did frustrate me. I don't watch a lot of anime, this being recommended to me was because I said I liked Cowboy Bebop and didn't want a huge series to work through, so I understand that Kallen's character design is pretty normal and probably pretty tame but I still didn't like it. That loving dress she was wearing while a prisoner? Her school uniform was more tasteful than that, hell her pilot suit and Black Knight uniform was more tasteful.

I don't mean to come off as seething with rage or "ah treat women with respek :bahgawd:" because I still enjoyed the series, I guess I just felt like Kallen could've been presented better is all

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Going through the thread I notice a lot of people really don't like Suzaku and Ogri (that's the guy who becomes PM and marries Viletta right?) Aand I'm kinda curious as to why. I mean I'm not a huge fan of some of the things Suzaku did and like I said before his tendency in the 1st series to just act as an "I win" button got tiresome fast but I sure don't hate the guy. Thinking on it I don't think I hate any of the characters in this show, maybe that media guy and maybe Rolo but that might be more because he was written to kill Shirley. I think I'm more irked at the writers for that one because what really was the point of that except fridging her. The poor girl's been through enough poo poo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh no I totally get that about being servicey I just mean that it bothered me the way Kallen was being portrayed for some of them. I think what kind of weirded me out is that most of our characters are not adults and I'm not really used to this kind of a portrayal for characters that age. Maybe I should stop watching Avatar and watch more "high school" animes but I think that leads down a darker path than those fics you're linking me.

Honestly I don't know what my deal really is I think maybe I just didn't like that Kallen was designed to have boobs that rival most of the adult women she pals around with, it just comes off as fan baity to me and, frankly, kind of creepy. Doesn't matter if she were 30 years old but the fact that she is supposed to be like 16 or 17 does matter, to me.

Also outside of reading Nightmare, I should watch Nunally in Wonderland ro whatever it's called right?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Karen definitely gets skeezed on a lot, but she's awesome enough otherwise to make up for it. Also her body type is pretty much just the standard "Female Code Geass character" body type, so you can't really criticize her specifically for that. But she's a strong enough pilot (as a normal human being, to boot) to fight to a stand still a guy literally cursed to survive and who knows very well how to exploit that.

Like I said I am very likely just getting uncomfortable over nothing. Honestly I would probably be feeling more adjusted if I hadn't just spent 10 hours straight watching this. My thoughts on shows that I burn through tend to be more melodramatic and scattered than if I slowly digest a series over a couple weeks instead of binging, don't know why I decided to binge this time.

I'll be honest Kallen was definitely one of the stronger parts of the series for me so maybe the cheescake bits involving her just rubbed me the wrong way since I enjoyed her a lot more when she was kicking rear end in her Guren than when she was being manhandled in a bunny suit. I did also enjoy the high school parts because it lightened the mood and was campy enough for what they were trying to accomplish (not enough Arthur in R2 dammit :mad:)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

There's a lot of those moments in Code Geass where it prepares you for the greatest tragedy early on so that you never know quite what to expect. There were a handful of scenes I remember that had odd slow-motion applied to them, making me think "oh, and there she gets shot", but it didn't happen. Either because they didn't want to traumatize the viewer further or because it was one of those "alternate path" scenarios.

They still killed off Shirley though :( and for what purpose? Lelouch temporarily freaks out at Rolo because he knows that's who shot her but other than that and when he's at her side he shows no emotion whatsoever. Was the whole point to show that he was so far gone that human lives and suffering had no effect on him anymore? I dunno I was enjoying where they were going with her and I was looking forward to her being back to her normal Series 1 self and honestly she actually was acting really well adjusted, and then she runs into Rolo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

It's funny because while it makes sense and it sets off the chain of events of Lelouch destroying everything Geass related he still abuses his power any ways. Sure pretty much everyone who has a Geass (except the Knight of 1 but he got dealt with pretty easily all things considered) was dead but he still used his Geass on Nunally. But I suppose he figured it would be ok since he had the plan all figured out that he would make himself the most hated person on the planet to bring about peace. Although that does bring up another point about some people believing Lelouch took C.C.'s code and is actually alive somewhere with her, I don't buy that. The only person Lelouch ever loved more than himself and winning was Nunally and considering how shook up she was about his "death" it would be an extremely lovely thing for him to just go on living, especially since he was still conscious while she was freaking out.

Christ I think I'm gonna have to watch this series again to really straighten everything out. Although noticing the release dates for this show and since I would've been finishing high school when it was brand new and I had a better affinity regarding anime I wonder how my views on characters and stuff would've been then as opposed to now. I'd probably be ok with all that Kallen stuff I was griping about and asking for more :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man Milly is such a weird character, I mean I get that she's just around to stir poo poo up but some of the things she says and insinuates. It's so odd to see the "perv" character actually be a girl instead of some old man, even though I guess it's only something that comes up to get under peoples' skin

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

whoever's code it was I refuse to believe that Lelouch would be that much of an rear end in a top hat that he would continue living after witnessing the shock and trauma his "death" had caused Nunally.

Also also while I understand that the specific way Milly is acting is probably pretty common for anime the only animes I've seen are Chrno Crusade, Elfen Lied and Cowboy Bebop so I don't exactly have a whole lot of knowledge outside of sensationalizing that I see on the internet at large :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

are 10 year anniversaries a big deal in Japan? Most shows I know that have any kind of staying power really only do stuff through the fandom and never anything official from studios and creators. Outside of milestone episodes for long running shows I am wholly unfamiliar with "anniversary" shows in North American programming. Although I will assume that, much like in England, when shows are ordered in Japan they will be aired to completion despite low ratings or viewer turnout but again, I don't know. However if they were to do a movie or something do you think they would be able to find a way to make everything Charles and Marianne talk about NOT come off as a huge :psyduck: to the audience?

Going back to that stuff about Lelouch being dead, yes I can understand that that is part of growing up but I still don't think that Lelouch would fake his own death. I just don't think someone with his convictions would even consider that possibility, but hey I've only watched this series once so I'm not a huge expert.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

wielder posted:

tl,dr: Code Geass is certainly crazy and messy, but its craziness is entertaining and not the only worthwhile thing it is offering.

Yes I would agree that Code Geass does a lot of things but taking itself too seriously? The 6th episode is centered around the entire school going on a cat hunt, for gently caress's sake. Also as someone who loves high drama I would say that Code Geass is more in line with a Romantic era or a Baroque era opera than a regular stage play or musical. Just the pure amount of high drama for drama's sake and the fact that everything is done to an extreme.

Also my memory isn't really doing much, who the gently caress was Gino again? Was he the douche knight with the braided hair?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

The only thing that did irk me about that arc was Kallen getting captured the way she did but whatever, the rest of it was pretty interesting since Lelouch thought he had everything planned for the eventual battle and then Xingke is just like "what, you think you can use OUR terrain against us :smugbert:"

I think the only thing I never really understood during that arc was the chess game against Schneizel, did him moving into check really intimidate Lelouch that much?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that would explain why Schneizel's demeanour immediately changed when Lelouch backed down from the challenge. That and I'm glad I haven't completely forgotten how chess goes because when I was watching that episode I was like "wait a minute, I thought moving into check was an illegal move, why the gently caress isn't Lelouch or anyone else calling that out?"

It was an interesting moment of tension though

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

see now that makes a little more sense, thanks for everyone helping me figure out the "deeper meanings" of this story :v:

But seriously, I'm more just curious what other people gleaned from these moments in the story as well. Also I was reading through some stuff else where to discover Nina's last name was Einstein...yeah, guess we can't get more blatant than that huh

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

but he hadn't really adopted the "Zero" persona at that point and as the rest of the series continues to point out Lelouch is all about personally taking out Britannia himself. Yes he will use his "pawns" and his knights for most of the heavy lifting but it will always be him that personally eliminates any royals or any other opposition leaders.

So maybe he doesn't feel that "a king should kill a king" in chess (viable strategy, since according to the rules that puts you in a stalemate) but he sure as hell believes that principal when he's fighting for real, especially considering every time he cornered Cornelia he always made sure he was there personally to take her down.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

holy poo poo is that "translation note" thing real? Was that actually in a sub?

I mean, that's just...wow :psyboom:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

the only parts I remembered not liking in R2 was during the China arc but I think that was more the conclusion of it because China is where we got Lelouch freaking the gently caress out when his brother "cheated" at chess

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

So going through and watching the series again, what are some big continuity changes that were made for the start of the new movie? I'm just at the point where Lelouch is betrayed (still cant believe anyone in the Black Knights would believe Schneizel)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

On one hand that sucks that Shirley is basically taken out of the plot, but on the other hand I'm kind of okay with that because her death almost made me stop watching the series. I mean, I get that a large part of the things that happen to her are to demonstrate consequences to Lelouch but to me it was just more skeevy and gross things being done specifically to a female character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

watching through the series a second time, that is a very good question, because I was dreading that episode all through season 1. I think when I first watched the series (which was almost a decade ago) my initial reaction was just shock because Lelouch didn't want to use his Geass and then he lets his guard down and even he is utterly horrified at what he has done.

I just finished season 2 last night and I'm thinking Lelouch just went bonkers after killing his parents, especially when the final minutes of the last episode is a parade where Nunally is chained at his feet, and subsequently has her relive trauma of watching a family member be assassinated in front of her.

I guess I don't really have an answer to your question, I guess what happens with Euphemia does bother me but because of where it happens in the story I look at it as thinking this is where Lelouch learns a lesson about the danger of trying to control everyone so I begrudgingly accept it for the narrative. Then the second season comes along and that just goes out the window