Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku totally has an impact on Lelouch's choice because Suzaku, even by the end, is basically the only real friend Lelouch has ever had.

I mean, if you pretend C.C. doesn't exist, yeah, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I always thought Schneizel's illegal move was a form of mock surrender to gauge how Lelouch would react to it.

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen at least gets to have a whole shitload of awesome moments. Viletta just gets poo poo on from start to finish and ends up falling in love with a guy who is effectively a rapist.

:stare: I know Ougi is a piece of poo poo but you might have to explain this part to me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

wielder posted:

True, Renya was weird and kind of boring in the end. I didn't get much out of it either.

----

It's less than a month before Japan gets to watch Akito OVA 3 and Bandai Visual is streaming ten random minutes of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4tYbIXbdFU

Spoilers, obviously.

why is that one chick's pilot suit open literally the whole time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

Knightmare frames were so much cooler when they were all ground bound.

This and also not cgi all the time

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest there are very few robots this doesn't apply to. Flight is super-often an excuse for lazy robot fights.

Is there any anime period where the characters being able to fly improved the fights?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
LELOUCH IS ALIVE MOTHERFUCKERS

LELOUCH IS ALIVE

E: The exact details for this aren't quite clear yet

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 27, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Might not be January after all.

What's known so far:

quote:

-Set several years after Zero Requiem
-Not confirmed whether it's a TV series or a movie
-MC is Lelouch
-Director: "It's a sequel"
-3 summary movies to be released January 2017 with new scenes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Considering it's titled "Lelouch of the Resurrection" it's a lot more likely he'll say "he was dead but hey turns out code magic can bring someone back to life."

Wasn't that exactly what happened with Charles anyways?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
My question is what will Lelouch's character be like?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder how absurd the mecha power levels will get. I mean the Guren Seiten and the Lancelot Albion were loving insane beam-winged monstrosities and I presume the rules of mecha anime means they're both going to get some sort of upgraded variant.

I'd love it so much if they went back to the early gen Knightmare Frames.

They might be some of the raddest grunt mechs in any series I've seen.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Pretty sure those were used for FLCL 2 & 3 and Panty and Stocking 2.

Where's the one for Haruhi on the 18th?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Code Geass is an anime that had the decency to end well and there are a shitload that can't say that.

Whatever R3 does, this won't change.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

I am not entirely opposed to Kallen/Suzaku.

But then I am also the only person in the world who has some sympathy for Suzaku.

The dude tried to drug her I'm pretty sure that boat got torpedoed

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I was going through some clips and there are some pretty good character moments out of R2. Usually involving Lelouch, Kallen, or both.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't really get that pairing.

She's more like his mom. Even if the side material tries to speak differently.

anyway I'm more saying "nothing you do with this guy doesn't have unfortunate implications so go with whatever you want."

The same is true for Lelouch but he's currently a corpse.

Lelouch and Kallen?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Suzaku and Cecille

They were saying Lelouch didn't have anybody he could end up with without some negative implications at the end of that post, weren't they?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what I mean, yes.

I mean by that point Kallen had been through his whole "zero requiem" thing and was set to be executed before he got sworded, but that was a big smokescreen I guess.

She knew the whole thing was staged afterwards, along with the rest of the Black Knights. Word from the writer said if Lelouch told her what he was actually doing she would've went with him to accomplish the plan.

And honestly if that gently caress Ohgi can marry someone who tries to kill him and betray his whole team I think we're already way past that threshold anyways.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

I don't recall the deception being revealed to the Black Knights afterwards - am I misremembering? It's just that a number of people who had personal familiarity with Lelouch and/or Suzaku - as opposed to just Zero - were able to figure it out even as it was happening, basically. So Nunnally, Kallen, Tohdou, Kaguya, Milly, Rivalz, maybe a few others. The the vast majority of the Black Knights were still clueless.

Everyone that knew Zero's identity should have had a pretty good idea something was up (so however many people in the BK were let in on his identity after he was outed by Schneizel), the people that you listed are the ones that would roughly know the details (probably not Milly and Rivalz though, those two got left out of the loop on everything :( ).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If Nina accidentally was hit by a falling KMF between seasons I don't think anyone would complain.

I'll settle for Table-kun falling out of the school window and getting it's revenge as she tries to set up a nuke at the end of the season, really.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

You shouldn't date people who mind control you, lie to you and force you into deadly battles for their own goals. I feel this very strongly. Thank you and All Hail Brittania.

That's a funny phrase for asking questions with a magic eye ImpAtom.

Kallen chose to fight before Zero showed up and she chose to keep fighting after. If anything Lelouch did the opposite of dragging her into a battle when he lied to her about how he felt to try to keep her out of the suicide mission he was going on.

The lying thing is definitely true though, even if it usually was to protect one or more people. I hope she and Lelouch can work it out in relationship counselling.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
TBF Suzaku did have some unnatural, possibly Geass related voodoo backing him up.

At least, that was the plan up until the end of season 1 (they call attention to his seemingly unnatural abilities a fair bit and touching him seriously messed with CC).

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Suzaku is a regular joe, he's just absurdly talented and trained unless I missed something. I mean he's got the Live Geass which is ironically a boost to him but that is because of what it does to augment him. He's not magical though, just absurdly talented. After all Kallen is basically on the same level as him.

Regular people don't go into epileptic fits when they touch CC.

E: Or that time he flat out teleported multiple people.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 13, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think my favorite fight in the show is still when Lelouch traps his forces at the top of a mountain and has Kallen nuke their way down while burying the enemy in a landslide.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It is pretty suspect that nobody ever asks why the mind controlling genius wouldn't just mind control all of them right from the start if he was just using them

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HenryEx posted:

gently caress, i need this

He was already an overpowered gary stu in his SF show anyways, lemme see him tear down a fantasy world

The dude got winded from light jogging, he was munchkined to hell and back

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
She would’ve gone along with the Zero Requiem and suffered for it, that was 100% why Lelouch pushed her away.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

I dunno, if her just leaving Lelouch to Captain Quisling is any indication Kallen could help a lot with making bad decisions.

Was that Ougi you’re talking about?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

This is a more or less recap movie for the last act of the show, right? Why would they rewrite that? I assume with super definitively you don't mean killed off, since that changes the ending a lot, too.

They mean romantically, I am fairly sure

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

they're gonna put lelouch in a gundam

That was midway through season 1

(I miss how relatively limited Knightmare Frames not named the Lancelot were at the start)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
90% sure that last one is because he wanted to see his sister one last time before he died.

If anything he snapped back to sanity once he realized she wasn’t actually dead but he’d already kicked things off so all aboard the crazy train it was, since at least that way he could keep Schneizel out of power.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arbite posted:

Just saw Resurrection. Rather good, I was impressed they managed to write an opposition that seemed credible for a moment without dumbing down the old cast.

Gotta hand it to Creayus, they kept their fire burning for more than a decade and got what they wanted in the end. Still...

The funny thing is you can replace Shirley with at least two other people and have it be just as accurate and likely

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

That's a joke I don't understand

U 2?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

Same. I kinda remember thinking some things could have been better but the way they wrapped it up was pretty good.

In full agreement with the people saying the mech fights were better before they got the ability to fly. I said it back in the day and I still believe it now. The designs were so cool with the rollerblades and grappling hooks and was sad to see all that go away.

The moment robots could fly the coolest part of Lelouch's plans (i.e. flipping the loving table every time) got thrown out the window and it sucked.

The Gawain is acceptable though, because it's the evil mastermind's flagship and therefore should be able to fly :thinking:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half posted:

Hey the S.E.I.T.E.N. rules. It's the Albion that's the lame upgrade since it's still totally just the Lancelot with the energy wings stapled on.

And the show doesn't really pretend otherwise, the entire fight is basically Suzaku riding on his compulsion to live more than the tech in his suit

ImpAtom posted:

I've come to like the Seiten more over time but I really thought the Flight-Type had a better mix of feeling stronger without feeling like it walked in from another anime where it can throw radiation disks and turn into a glowing pink streak.

In fairness, Seiten probably had the best first rollout in the series

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Kallen vs Suzaku in one of the better rivalries in mach animation I think. Two absurdly skilled pilots who are a hair apart and the only time one really has an advantage is when they have a superior machine. It is pretty rare to see that and especially with so much back and forth.

That does eventually change a bit when Kallen gets the bullshit powerful suit and Suzaku leverages his supernatural bullshit to get the edge on piloting just so he won’t die instantly.

The main cast dynamics are pretty fantastic overall though, Suzaku, Lelouch, Kallen and CC all have pretty phenomenal chemistry (well, except Suzaku with CC, but they had...2 minutes of screentime together?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lady Gagazula posted:

Given Lelouch's meticulous nature, I can see him taking into account all the little details about his death *(ie: sharpness and diameter of the blade, location of the entry/exit wound, rate of blood loss, estimated time to remain mobile/conscious, etc.) that would allow for him to take that dramatic fall down the ramp and land within arm's reach of his sister so that he could deliver a wordless deathbed confessional. While Lelouch has demonstrated he doesn't have a problem casually lying to her, it's possible that he couldn't bear the thought of her forever hating him as a result of a lie.

I think Lelouch was fine with her hating him forever, but he was being true to himself in that moment and doing the one last selfish thing he wanted to do before he died and see his sister one more time.