Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they've figured out how to bring their fans back. this is the kind of innovative thinking blackberry needed.

quote:

BlackBerry Ltd. is seeking to win back once-devoted customers by bringing back a popular set of command keys that the company had abandoned with the launch of a new family of smartphones this past year.

Sources familiar with the company say chief executive officer John Chen will announce Tuesday at a mobile industry conference in Barcelona that the Waterloo, Ont.-based company will restore its trademark “belt” of five function keys that sat between the screen and keyboard.

This includes a trackpad and other keys that allowed users to easily navigate between different applications. The belt will appear later this year on phones powered by the BlackBerry 10 operating system.

The change is more than a feature upgrade: It is a symbolic gesture. By bringing back the belt and pledging to focus on devices with keyboards, Mr. Chen, who joined the company this past November, is attempting to make amends with BlackBerry’s loyal business and government customers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

looks like motorola was lenovo's consolation prize

(with reporting from Blackula69)

quote:

BlackBerry tried to sell itself to Chinese computer giant Lenovo last year. But CBC News has learned the company got a firm no when it approached the federal government to find out if the bid would be approved.

At the time, the company was told that either Chinese or Russian investment would be met with stiff opposition. So it abandoned the sale.

But it turned out there was something Ottawa could do to help the beleaguered company. BlackBerry received an early Christmas present from the federal government, courtesy of a remission order – a $696 million US ($767 million Cdn) early payment of part of its tax refund.

The infusion was a boon to the company, which at the time was burning through its cash reserves and attracting investors who were betting big money it would fail.

[...]

By the end of the year, however, BlackBerry's cash reserves had rebounded, and were sitting at $3.2 billion US.

That was in large part due to the backing of one investor – Prem Watsa of Fairfax Financial, who organized a $1-billion US financing effort and brought turnaround expert John Chen on as the company's new CEO.

But another huge chunk of cash – $696 million US – came from an early payment of its spring tax refund by both the federal and Ontario governments last November, in what's called a remission order.

According to BlackBerry's publicly available management discussion and analysis filing, during the third quarter the company "took steps to accelerate the receipt of a portion of the tax refund to which it is entitled".

It arranged with both levels of government to receive the majority of its tax refund ahead of time, and receive the remainder, which BlackBerry estimates at $170 million US ($187 million Cdn), later this year.

According to Misek, that extra payment had a massive impact, saying "it might have saved the company – we might look back in a year or two, whatever BlackBerry becomes, and say that was the day they saved the company".

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 24, 2014

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

blackberry gonna monetise bbm

by selling stickers

and ads

and also it'll come preloaded on nokia's android monstrosities

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

guys blackberry actually made a profit and cut operating expenses by more than half since last year

maybe they won't die???

well they had an operating loss still

but a really tiny one. this looks like good news for blackberry :ohdear:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

not by the gaap results, and that's all that counts

no

gaap/non-gaap is an important distinction, and if you literally don't know anything else you should go with the gaap results.

but so is operating/realised. we know exactly why blackberry turned a profit, and it's not things that they'll be able to do next quarter or next year. the operating results are most important when you're looking at the long-term health. (and at a loss of only 60 million, they're unexpectedly good!)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

also that's blackberry's second tax refund in the past 6 months, as discussed by me in this thread
you understand the tax refund thing, is this the case:

the December refund was an extraordinary advance against their 2013 refund

and the one for this quarter was just the remainder of their refund from 2013, returned on schedule because tax season (and presumably blackberry did accounting magic during December to shuffle money around and make their refund bigger)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

and he talks about constantly cheating on her with her knowledge

"You can gently caress her if you want, in front of me... she lets me gently caress girls in front of her all the time"

sounds like a ~healthy non-monogamous relationship~

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bonzo posted:

I live in Waterloo and work with several ex RIM employees. In 2005 it was an awesome company to work for and had all the perks you would expect a tech company to have. Once 2007 hit, things went south really bad. Every more you made was watched. You got 30 minutes for lunch and god help you if you were late. Most employees also were jaded because management changed every 6 months. You'd get a new manager who would be "We are going to do it THIS way" and then 6 months later he would go somewhere else and the new guy would be "Forget THIS! We are now doing it THAT way" . So no one really cared about performance because they knew it would just soon change anyway.

Staff was thin. If you worked the (mandatory) grave yard shift, you were on your own. So if an Exchange admin called at 2am and it took you 3 hours to fix his issues, guess how long the others in the phone queue had to wait for someone to answer?

When we have a new ex-RIM employee start, they have a bit of PTSD. Its like if you rescue and new cat and bring him home, he'll hide under the bed for a week. Slowly he'll realize that no one is going to care if he takes an extra smoke break, or steal his lunch from the fridge.

They are hiring support positions again but they've pretty much poisoned the market. There are so many tech companies hiring here and no one wants to work at a place that just fired half the city. The only ones that are going back are people who are so lovely that they can't get hired anywhere else or are die hard fanboys.

i hope kevin got out okay :ohdear:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

200,000 preorders for passport.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ahmeni posted:

But none of this changes one fact: The Passport is big. Super big. So big that I could show it to my kids’ friends and convince most of them that it is some sort of Cro-Magnon relic from the 1990s. My iPhone often ended up in a shirt pocket. But that feels awkward with the Passport. In fact, there are a few shirts I own that actually do not permit this without busting the pocket stitching. When I asked my wife to try it with some of her blouses, she couldn’t get the Passport to fit in any of them. Even in my pants, the Passport was an awkward fit. It really only makes sense in a jacket, briefcase or purse. So to state the obvious: This business-oriented phone is hardly the ideal phone for, say, the beach or hiking trail.

This may explain the intensely gendered response I got to my Passport when I was seen using it in public places like Starbucks, McDonalds, Taco Del Mar or office-building elevators. Over the last month, numerous strangers have approached me to ask about the device. They are always men. The women I’ve shown the Passport to — including female colleagues, my wife and her friends — seem vaguely horrified by the thing. Even with two hands, the Passport feels like something that fell off the bottom of an old fridge. I assure them that they’d get used to it in a few days, if they give it a chance. But the starkly boxy aesthetics scare them off.

current headline is Why I ditched my iPhone for Blackberry’s massive new Passport, the url has it as why-im-hooked-on-the-clunky-new-blackberry-passport-the-worlds-first-male-gendered-smartphone

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

further laffs from that review:

quote:

Because of its radically different form, the Blackberry Passport alters the very idea of a Smartphone in a manner that must be termed existential. With my iPhone, I’d gotten used to lazily holding it in my right hand, casually swiping through tweets and emails with my thumb as I drank coffee with my left. The Passport, on the other hand, demands the commitment of two hands, because (in my case, at least) the right thumb can’t get past the T button. That sounds like a drawback, and it certainly feels like one when, say, you’re using an umbrella or trying to keep a door open for someone in an office building lobby. But it also made me less tempted to use the Passport at times when a person really, really shouldn’t be using a Smartphone — such as when you’re stuck in traffic.

"impractically huge... but that's a feature!!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

yeah they took it down once it got noticed, obvs

qirex posted:

now some poor entry level pr employee has to use a blackberry

hell is instagram even available?

you can sideload the android version :xd:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blackberry stock skyrocketed Wednesday afternoon after a report that the device maker had been approached by Samsung about a potential takeover.

At its high, Blackberry was up more than 21 percent.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

terrifyingly, the largest investor in the country

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

they have part ownership of everything. they fully own a bunch of malls and condo towers(through cadillac fairview), partly own european airports, rail lines, a bunch of power and water utilities, they own the UK lottery outright (??!), they have multi-hundred million dollars stakes in basically every major us corporation

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ontario teachers are spending 2 billion dollars to build 5 gigantic condo towers around the bell centre in downtown montréal, essentially creating a new neighbourhood out of scratch

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

apple should release iMessage for android and blackberry, but keep the green bubble for non-iphone havers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you'll always be able to tell when the guy you're chatting with on grindr is a blackberry user

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Like fine wine, BlackBerry Passport gets better with age": actual headline

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I like the iPhone 6 Plus and my Android phones, but the BlackBerry Passport gets things done more efficiently and is a joy to use. Every time I pick up the Passport, I feel I have a rock solid phone in my hand that I know won't let me down.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

no hardware keyboard, of course~

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nagato posted:

8,000 units reminds me of the famous rumor that the Kin sold exactly 503 units

unfortunately, that rumour was false

there were at least 8,810 users of the kin Facebook app :v:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

though i guess you can imagine 8300 kins were given away to microsoft employees/beta testers and 500 were sold

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i found the problem

"Excluding one-time items, quarterly profit was $20 million, or 4 cents a share." is actually "Non-GAAP earnings of $0.04 per share"

"GAAP net loss for the quarter was $148 million, or $0.28 per share"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

and they were cashflow positive thanks to a 105 million firesale of assets, mostly a bunch of patents

:ms:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

do they still have real estate left

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

looking at the q3 2015 financial statement, they had 1.1 billion in real estate+plants+equipment a year ago

and six months later they had 588 million

everything
must
go

(the equivalent document for the most recent quarter isn't available yet)

e: oh, found it, 556 million in the most recent quarter. the drop from 588 million is probably mostly depreciation.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 27, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the canadian media establishment is seeing signs of trouble for blackberry

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

you mean "again" right

they bought 90 million worth of shares in november

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Canadian Member of Parliament poses with new Blackberry, March 30th 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's Peter Stoffer, who also owns

Radical Wayne is an MPP, not an MP.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the chief economist for Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

Tarnishing an Unsound Argument

Shafiq Qaadri is wrong on so many levels.

The Member of Provincial Parliament had the floor at Ontario’s Legislative Assembly last week when he recited an diatribe against BlackBerry and used offensive words that have no place in modern discourse.

I join the many, many people across Canada calling on him to apologize and explain why he chose to use derogatory references to people with disabilities in a petition ostensibly about technology. We are dismayed‎ by Mr. Qaadri’s behavior that reflects poorly on all of Canada – and especially to Canadians with disabilities who are incredible contributors to the nation.

Sadly, however, Mr. Qaadri also failed on the merits of his argument, which was insulting to BlackBerry.

Let’s start with the technological reasons the Legislative Assembly chooses to spend public dollars to equip its elected officials and staff with BlackBerry mobility solutions.

Quite simply, BlackBerry is the most secure system for protecting individual security and privacy. That’s why all G7 governments and 16 of the G20 governments are BlackBerry customers. BlackBerry has more than 70 security approvals and certificates – more than any other mobile solution. BlackBerry customers also include 10 out of 10 of the largest global banks and global law firms, and the top five largest managed healthcare, investment services, and oil and gas companies.

So the provincial government of Ontario is in good company, knowing that the people tasked with doing the people’s business can do so effectively, securely and reliably. It’s also sending a strong message to its Ontario constituents – thousands of whom are employed by BlackBerry.

Many of the dollars spent with BlackBerry go right back into the local and national economy. BlackBerry spends more on research and development than any other Ontario company. The $1.3 billion we spend annually also makes us one of the largest R&D spenders in all of Canada. Some 90% of BlackBerry’s research engagements are with Canadian universities and we hire more than 1,000 co-op students from local institutions every year.

As an Ontario-headquartered company, BlackBerry pays corporate taxes in Ontario on revenue generated from sales worldwide, not just in Ontario. Among many other things, we help support the operations of the Legislative Assembly – and that includes Mr. Qaadri’s salary.

Like many other Canadians, we are disappointed that Mr. Qaadri made a terrible public policy argument with words that were even worse.

John Chen is a distinguished and proven leader in the technology industry. Prior to joining BlackBerry, he served as Chairman and CEO of Sybase Inc., where he developed and led the company’s re-invention from a mature, slower-growth technology company into a $1.5 billion-plus high-growth innovator. Under his direction, Sybase became the leading provider of enterprise mobility and mobile commerce solutions, achieving 55 consecutive quarters of profitability.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the leader of the official opposition has a new ad, mostly notable for his blackberry from 0:21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGnrZqIk2fI&t=21s

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nonono, blackberry has three instagrams of coh, implausibly.

(though they also have two instagrams of debt, so they're net one instagram, which isn't bad at all)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

microsoft has more like two ubers of cash on hand.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

take a shot whenever someone says "quantum valley"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Kins posted:

reuters is reporting that blackberry is rumored to be considering throwing its metaphorical hands up, going "gently caress it" and just flat-out releasing an android

finally, a device with the security of an android and the usability of a blackberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

symbian->android

• Locked thread