Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

sitting at the dealership getting some maintenance done and I saw this

fitting that the me-mag.com website looks like a throwback to the days when people actually bought and liked blackberries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Nelson MandEULA posted:

Waterloo, ON - BlackBerry Limited (NASDAQ: BBRY; TSX: BB), a world leader in mobile communications

The Canadian Press posted:

TORONTO – BlackBerrys are vanishing in Canada while Google Android ownership grows steadily, but Apple’s iPhone is still the most popular smartphone in the country, suggests a new report.

About 85 per cent of the adult anglophone population now has a cellphone, while three quarters of them carry a smartphone, according to a report by the Media Technology Monitor, based on telephone surveys this spring with more than 2,000 Canadians.

The iPhone was the device of choice among 42 per cent of the smartphone owners, while a variety of phones on the Android platform collectively made up 39 per cent of the market.

To no one’s surprise, the MTM survey found BlackBerry’s share of the market has withered away in its home country.

In 2009, 61 per cent of Canadian smartphone owners said they used a BlackBerry. Now, just 14 per cent call themselves devotees of the struggling brand.

BlackBerry’s marketshare plunged by half in the past two years, according to MTM.
"world leader"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

guys blackberry actually made a profit and cut operating expenses by more than half since last year

maybe they won't die???

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jesus christ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

not by the gaap results, and that's all that counts

but HOLY loving poo poo YOU GUYS

note the lack of punctuation/special characters

well you certainly won't need to be typing $ on a regular basis if you're dumb enough get one of these

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

ahmeni posted:

how the gently caress do you hold that thing and type without it falling out of your hands from the top weight
jazz hands

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Cold on a Cob posted:

shouldn't it be the gloves are off? not a very canadian tweet. so they're saying they fight dirty on the ice
"it is so on! and by that... i mean gloves...?"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

graph posted:

kevin

kevin where are you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgbUBoxa48

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I was on a go train last week and it was blackbarries galore
thanks obama

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

saw this today through gruber-postin' and finally gave it a read

two passages stuck out:

quote:

have purchased every single iPhone. My biggest complaint about how thin they are is that, as they get thinner, they become increasingly more difficult to pick up off of a table if they are not in a case.

quote:

The UI has changed just a bit, but I'm not getting into software in this pre-review. The camera is crisp. Autofocus has never been faster on a BlackBerry when it comes to the rear camera. Photos are crisp and the zoom does it justice. Low light photographs are much better but burst photography still needs some work. Shutter speed is definitely faster that any of the Samsung devices out there, but it's not an 'iPhone killer' by any means.

ALL IN ALL, FOR BLACKBERRY USERS, TAKING PICTURES JUST GOT BETTER.

That said though, it's much better than any previous BlackBerry camera. In HDR mode, the Passport asks you to hold still for almost 3 seconds which seems a bit excessive, but there's still room to fix that.
a cool camera review from someone who has absolutely no idea how cameras work or how to review them. also this reviewer has all kinds of iphones yet no ability to compare photos taken against the passport

also lol @ 3 second "shutter speed" for hdr in 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

also like this thing has a 1440 pixel square screen. you wouldn't think it would be important to mention whether not the camera is taking square shots or 3:2 pictures or at what resolution in an age where camera functionality moves smartphones

3:2 shots bother me enough on a 16:9 iphone 5s god knows what they'd be like on a square screen

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

oh it's a dog all right

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

only read the title, I didn't know blackberry was making a watch ?!
although broken, bb fans will focus instead on the twice a day it is right

seems legit

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Caged posted:

Chen said BlackBerry is “here to stay, on your couch for a while, just a couple of weeks, a month at the most, until it sorts some things out and finds itself, you know?”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Bonzo posted:

BlackBerry’s square-screened phone to free us from our “rectangular world”

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/07/blackberrys-square-screened-phone-to-free-us-from-our-rectangular-world/

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/07/passport-design/

So I guess Huey Lewis will be the new V.P. of design?
later:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

not my original insight, but lol at showing off a spreadsheet program on a hardware-keyboarded device with no dedicated number keys

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

graph posted:

remember blackberrys ad campaign where it was 4 Very Busy Business Professionals and everyone went 'what' and they backpedalled so hard they broke the bike chain then they blamed 'the summer intern' lol
was that the thing where one of the cartoon girls had a butthole insignia

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Nelson MandEULA posted:

well retarded turnaround idiot! amirite?!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Blackula69 posted:

BlackBerry Ltd has concluded a protracted and painful restructuring process and is back on a growth footing, according to an internal memo to all its employees viewed by Reuters.

"We have completed the restructuring notification process, and the workforce reduction that began three years ago is now behind us," said the memo from BlackBerry's Chief Executive John Chen that was sent out on Friday.

"More importantly, barring any unexpected downturns in the market, we will be adding headcount in certain areas such as product development, sales and customer service, beginning in modest numbers," said Chen, who personally thanked those that have stayed with the company through the process.

BlackBerry has shrunk its workforce by roughly 60 percent over the last three years as it attempts to reinvent itself.

loool
wish i could send this entire thread on bb incompetence back in time to 1980 and totally loving scuttle the cyberpunk movement

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

graph posted:

rip Kevin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgbUBoxa48

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

London Gets Launch Event For BlackBerry Ltd (BBRY) Porsche Design P’9983

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  AND  FACE  TO  PORSCHE  DESIGN

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

FMguru posted:

the article doesnt make it clear if its london, england or london, ontario
they do mention "the harrods" which idk if london, on has a ripoff of that too or not

i'm the crosshair on the trackbuttan

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

My friend owns the 2 PD stores in Illinois (Chicago & some suburb somewhere) and he says those PDBBs are bought almost exclusively by middle eastern guys.
dubai event gonna be poppin' then

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i also have no idea how he made so much money on the first store that he was able to open the second. poo poo, he said he'd charge me cost on anything i wanted and i still don't want anything there.
maybe he was connected to that truck of stolen playbooks like 3 years ago now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

reminder that the advertising for the playbook was "you should have waited", it was priced the same as an ipad, and couldn't do messaging without being tethered to a blackberry
further reminder: this happened last week

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

what happened to crackbaby kevin
he coasted on his initial rimm fliff and now runs a bbry case-making company specializing in pizza themes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

it was a dumb loving macauley culkin reference jesus christ

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

blackberry passport: 6.2 by the verge

bahahahahahahahah

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

literally rated worse than a nook hd (6.6)

i'm dying

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

quote:

Let’s not mince words: the BlackBerry Passport looks like a giant square drink coaster. It’s big: 5.03 inches tall, 3.55 inches wide, and 0.37 inches thick. It’s heavy: 6.91 ounces. It's odd-looking: it's as if a classic BlackBerry spent some time in a medieval torture device and got stretched it out in all four corners. It’s actually very close to the same dimensions of an international passport, surely not by accident. It’s heavier and wider than both the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the Apple iPhone 6 Plus. Needless to say, the Passport is awkward to use and awkward to carry in your pants' pocket. I can hardly use it in one hand, and I dropped it more than once in the the few weeks I’ve been using it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

i could see getting some use out of an oversized phone (gps is one of the main things i use), but that keyboard layout is just so terrible
apparently having that spacebar in the middle of the bottom row is really tough to get used to. also it's top-heavy so it's not as easy to cradle the bottom in your hands for POWER PRO TYPING ACTION

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

200,000 preorders for passport.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

you seem blue

it's nacho fault

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

can't ricotta last time i saw so much dumb pyf in yospos

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

gret posted:

In thinking about it, this review could stand in as a metaphor for women in the workplace. Mrs Stern doesn't need a "work phone" she needs one that she can use to play on... and play at business. When given a power tool to use she finds that she is not comfortable with it. I'm sure this would also be true if she was given a power saw, a major court case, a billion or two to manage or a major story to report.

Mrs Stern, like her children, should stick with the iPhone. It is made for women and children to use. Easy to use and to master, the iPhone will not tax their intellect or their (limited) attention.
please source your paul thurrott quotes

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

guess where

i died

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAE_oRlEc8
"really bespoke design" @ 44s :newlol:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

wonder why those pics are such terrible quality

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

prefect posted:

is that a trampoline?
it's one of those foxconn anti-suicide devices except it's outside of bbry hq

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

some of the comments on joanna's review are really really sexist but more importantly super mad about the cheese thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

infernal machines posted:

not that i'd trust the stability of any blackberry platform
nice!

• Locked thread