Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kirk posted:

blackberry phone needs a reset button

i'm the brag about being 3 times faster than a lower mid range phone at best from 3 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

well, people believe they do. i've never seen anything itemized

given the other things people believe about blackberry (re device and coms security for example), i'd take it with a grain of salt

they own qnx.

qnx is still a nice thing to own.

blackberry will probably sell qnx off before blackberry gets bought out tho

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 15, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Boxturret posted:

wait seriously? like every single electronic thing i've bought in the last decade that's more complex that a flashlight has had neflix pre-installed
and thats how bad blackberries are

Bonzo posted:

The Q10 was carrier locked so if you wanted Wind Mobile you were out of luck

"if you wanted this bad phone on a third tier canadian carrier, you were out of luck"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the government should force everyone to write apps for our lovely phones, also have i mentioned how awesome i am and how much ive turned things around here at blackberry

CANCON for phones

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

There Will Be Penalty posted:

this would almost kill sms and is therefore a good idea

whats with all you idiots not getting free sms with your data plan like 5 years ago like the rest of the world

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mister Macys posted:

Imagine two small cities pretending they're a mid sized city, built on nothing but hills. Hills everywhere.
As hilly as Manhattan is flat.

manhattan's pretty dang hilly dude

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

well, not the tourist part

central park is tourist as gently caress tho and once you get up to the surrounds of it you're already a good 60 feet up and theres plenty of elevation change inside it.

Mister Macys posted:

yeah, I only know the part of the island they always show in the movies like times square and central park

times square is like 40 feet up from the water's edge a few blocks away, and central park is pretty hilly itself dude.

and all in between shits dipping and rising all over cuz they just barely smoothed out the land for buildings and roads.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

whoa sixty whole feet of elevation? pretty extreme bro

pretty extreme compared to "flat"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

prefect posted:

that's as good as flat, compared to other places

it's like how the globe isn't perfectly spherical, but you're allowed to just say "it's round and/or spherical"

"flat"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

fishmech doesn't have a sense of scale, he only cares about being technically correct. I hope this is not a new revelation to any of you

San Francisco is hilly, Manhattan is flat as far as humans are concerned

san francisco is extremely hilly, manhattan is just plain hilly.

only idiots and people who've never been there think it's flat.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

again you're insinuating a tourist has ventured any further into central park than strawberry fields

tourists go all over parts of nyc that are much more than "flat"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maximum Leader posted:

i see you posted a picture of a building, i hope you are aware buildings are not actually hills. they were made by people much like yourself.

cliffs, noted human constructions

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Maximum Leader posted:

you are dead wrong here and I will not let you get away with it

please tell me more about how humans built manhattan's rock

does it involve ancient aliens?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

A Pinball Wizard posted:

is that walkie talkie service still around? i heard the chirp the other day in the store and it really surprised me, i thought sprint shut that down a while ago

most carriers offer an alternative way to do it over data or regular calls.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

the best support call I ever got was a guy with a lovely blackberry version who complained his data was slow because that awful iden network was pretty much stuck at dialup speeds

iirc iDEN plain had an absolute top end of around 25 kilobits per second and usually slower (i think a lot of the us the iDEN networks would usually be 10 kbps or lower?). the little deployed "wideband iDEN" went up to a blistering 100 kilobits theoretical, aka half of EDGE, in 2005.

mwanwhile typical GPRS connection could do between 55 and 110 kilobit for a good while beforehand.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

I like the iPhone 6 Plus and my Android phones, but the BlackBerry Passport gets things done more efficiently and is a joy to use. Every time I pick up the Passport, I feel I have a rock solid phone in my hand that I know won't let me down.

rock solid, heart touching

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

sure, you say that now but what happens when the Canadian government / gouvernement Canadien has to switch to filthy American OS phones?

probably a hefty contract to boeing or whatever other company makes GOVERNMENT GRADE phones for ridiculous prices

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks Ants posted:

and is that shipped or sold

i don't think they even bother shipping phones these days unless they're ordered, retailers probably refuse to stock them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beeftweeter posted:

arent they basically implying that all of their other products are insecure

ah yes all those other products they sell to actual people like:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
toronto aka tv america

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

lol could you imagine if us reps all had to drive f150s?

at least an f150 can be marginally useful on occasion

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~Coxy posted:

that article is a bit too derogatory towards the iphone

it makes it sound as if their downfall was mainly to bad luck instead of selling lovely products for their whole business career even while some comes along with something decent.

to be fair Literally Any Phone was going to take down blackberry

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

yeah, those palm phones, the Moto razr, and the samsung blackjack were really kicking blackberry's rear end

A shitload more people had razrs than all blackberries ever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

which is why Motorola was so successful

Motorola still can sell more than 8000 phones in a year.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pinterest Mom posted:

symbian->android

and i think before that win mo or palm

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~Coxy posted:

that's if you even count symbian/blackberry as "smartphones"

because if they count, then a RAZR and basically every other high end mobile phone circa 2004 counts too

lol no. high end symbian was definitely a working smartphone platform, and was always more popular than blackberry until android overtook it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

~Coxy posted:

my point is that so did a RAZR

your point is moronic

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the original iphone was simply poo poo tbqh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the lack of 3g in the original was unforgivable tbh

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

minivanmegafun posted:

the battery on the iPhone OG lasted for-fukken-ever, tho

pretty easy when it did nothing and was unusable on cell data so you had to use it on lower power drain wifi

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaNzA posted:

nah it actually delegated the bandwidth between devices naturally without any sort of artificial throttle

there was no way for the att's network to handle the amount of users if the original iphone had 3g, even when 2008/2009 rolled around it was still common to see that you have full 5 bars of 3g but nothing getting through at all

funny thing was that unlike verizon's 1x/evdo-3g, data and voice separation, 3g = data and voice on att's network and the amount of iphone users with 3g/3gs clogged att's data network and simultaneously nuked att's voice/text network too

i am quite sure that the absolutely miniscule amount of original iphones sold would not overload the network.

Mister Macys posted:

1024x600 for $500 in tyool 2011 :laffo:

but the 2011 ipad (ipad 2) also had 1024x768?? there wasn't a ~retina~ ipad til 2012

1024x600 on a much smaller screen (7 inch vs 9.7 inch) was one of the few things the playbook was not hosed up in.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

I think Apple's much better text rendering probably made a difference in how those screens were perceived too.

no, the playbook's text looked great too, in no small part then because the ppi was a lot higher. just again, there was no reason to be looking at text on it because it was so useless, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
blue jays still exist. they have a nice stadium, imo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
id forgotten that everyone in montreal has their lease start on july 1st

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fidel sarcastro posted:

canada day in victoria is very good. feels like the whole city goes downtown for free show + fireworks.

all 12 of them

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Skarp posted:

what really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_Day_%28Quebec%29

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

what are you so confused about? the only people who unironically like balackberry hardware and would buy it also like sliders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kenny Logins posted:

it appears the screen slides up rather than the keyboard sliding out lol

a distinction without a difference

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kenny Logins posted:

i think i'd rather have it be that the keyboard slides out, because that thin part can probably take (and be reinforced for) more wear and tear than a digitizer + screen

keyboard slides out vs phone slides up is just a glass half empty/half full thing. it's literally the same motion/construction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Management posted:

why do blackberry prices float with the USD, not the CAD?

Blackberry isn't that stupid yet

• Locked thread