Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fake or they already took it down :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

who the gently caress in their right mind would buy blackberry in 2015

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

olds and middle managers too out of touch to realize how desperately uncool it makes them, while still caring about looking cool

i meant the company not the devices, but maybe the answer is the same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao

http://crackberry.com/some-popular-third-party-blackberry-10-apps-need-improve-their-security

whod have thought that people who make bad decisions about what platform to write apps for also make bad decisions when writing the apps?

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sund posted:

An otherwise respectable lady in front of me at the grocery store had one of those square blackberry things. When I walked up it smelled like she had just farted. Shortly afterwards she discovered she didn't have her wallet and had to put her food back.

lol

blackberryowners.txt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i remember several years ago when i was workin at the school district, the district administration was completely in love with blackberry. got the blackberry enterprise server, every school principal and district department head (and tech department cj, ugh) was issued one.

they couldn't get enough of the walkie-talkie. i think it was like a drug for them. i think every time they heard that sending chirp they got a semi because they loving loved it.

i remember at one time the choir teacher had quietly asked me about whether it was technically feasible to jam cell phone signals - 'of course i wouldn't ask you to do it, i'd just come in over the weekend and get up on the ladder and hide it in the ceiling' - and i had to tell him that, aside from it being incredibly illegal, the district bigwigs were so in love with their blackberries that they were seriously considering installing cell phone repeaters in parts of the building where they couldn't get service, so finding a sudden dead zone might tip them off. that was an amusing conversation though.

my boss loved, loved, loved to send the goddamn alerts. basically you'd alert someone (i don't remember what the BB term for it was) and the blackberry would ring until you either canceled it or hit the walkie-talkie button. the default tone was this nerve-jangling super-loud ringtone and it always put me on edge and finally i wised up and just changed the ringtone to something less urgent.

i think they only ditched the blackberries a couple years ago. i remember visiting them and the network admin had a big box full of blackberries waiting to be recycled or something.

anyway, that's my story. thanks for reading and 'god bless'

were they nextel blackberries?

rip lovely blackberries

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

push to talk was/is the dumbest poo poo ever, especially when they pushed it toward consumers

i get some really limited use cases for it (large construction sites, uh...park rangers?) but i remember people having loud rear end conversations on the train and poo poo with that stuff

why would you do that and not just have a phone call in public on speakerphone at that point

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Boxturret posted:

who are you and what did you do with fishmech

pretenting to "recall" facts and then copy/pasting wikipedia is still definitely fishmech

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/03/blackberry-sales-nowhere-close-morgan/

BlackBerry Ltd. managed to sell only 8,000 units of the Classic and Passport

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qirex posted:

rim.jobs doesn't even resolve anymore :smith:

quote this if you checked before this was posted :hfive:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

minivanmegafun posted:

I think it's been quite a while since that domain name resolved :(

i wonder how long that was kept a secret from whatever hr/marketing director though "hmm, this new .jobs domain would be great to snap up to redirect to our careers site!" internally

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

that or it was always a joke from the beginning, whoever is responsible for controlling all domain names in IT grabbed that one as a joke and it persisted for years without anyone high enough to notice/care

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

:chome:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/27/us-blackberry-results-idUSKBN0MN18G20150327

quote:

Our financial viability is no longer in question. We're now turning our attention to revenue stabilization," BlackBerry Chief Executive John Chen said on a conference call.
lol

quote:

"Chen and his team are one of the better management teams out there," said BGC Partners analyst Colin Gillis. "But they have a lot of selling and a lot of execution to do."
looool

quote:

Excluding one-time items, quarterly profit was $20 million, or 4 cents a share. Analysts, on average, looked for a loss of 4 cents a share.

Revenue, however, slid to $660 million from $793 million, well below estimates of $786.4 million.
lmao

quote:

BlackBerry reported positive cash flow of $76 million in the quarter, and its cash position rose to $3.27 billion in the fourth quarter, from $3.1 billion in the third quarter.

:psyduck:

it will never die

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

we employ a lot of canadians and provide a lot of tax revenue, you better not gently caress with us, eh!

...please help us

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Apollo posted:

i got invited to a discussion panel with the co-coes (lizardlips and ballsilly) as well as the authors of that book about how bb underestimated the iphone. free lunch and open bar so why not.

gently caress yes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

should of been called the stockholm

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

nokia also makes (made??) really solid cell network poo poo but huawei probably has crushed them into he ground by now

they still do, and they're about to buy alcatel-lucent lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao if you're ever in a position to experience this in tyool 2015

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

someone post the video of chen awkwardly "unveiling" the priv to that lady and not even knowing what it stood for

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im the incredible long pauses between each action in the menu system which perfectly aligns with how lovely and unresponsive bbos was/is

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

mishaq posted:

someone post the video of chen awkwardly "unveiling" the priv to that lady and not even knowing what it stood for

lol forever at this video

http://www.bnn.ca/Video/player.aspx?vid=713580

The Management posted:

this just confirms my suspicions that blackberry is intentionally trying to lose money (but not be too obvious about it) as a roundabout means of transferring assets from shareholders to creditors

this makes a lot of sense

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

who do you think put Chen in charge? they're using real estate holdings and their patent portfolio to borrow money for continued operations. when they declare bankruptcy they will have literally nothing because the lenders will own all of those things.

why are they borrowing money for operations but sitting on a shitload of cash

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

because that cash is literally their last lifeblood. the creditors are going to get it, too.

how many expenses can you have when you've fired 90% of your staff and sold all your real estate and outsourced manufacturing? :v:

don't they have SEVERAL billion in cash?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

good, no one who buys shares of BBRY deserves anything

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

i wonder how many canadian pensioners are gonna get hosed this time

when will the ottawa teacher pension fund or whatever learn to stop investing in canadian tech companies after Nortel and now soon to be Blackberry

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

buttcrackmenace posted:

the comments on that article generated Many Hearty Lols from me

quote:

Got one today at Best Buy in California (16GB $199) and think it's a cool device. I have a 32GB Xoom WiFi, 32GB HP Touchpad ($150 Firesale) and Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. Enjoy ALL of them for what they bring to the table. Being cornered into one device is Ignorant. I also have a 32GB iPod Touch (3rd Gen) which I gave to my Daughter after I got my Sammy Galaxy Player 5.0 (it DESTROYS)the iPod Touch. I will then gie my Mom my 32GB Zune HD.

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

support executive

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

In 1997, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) was teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. The next year, it turned a profit of over $300 million. How was this possible? They admitted to themselves that their products needed to change radically.

“You know what’s wrong with this company?” said Steve Jobs at the time. “The products suck.” The company went on the release the iMac, and later, iPods, iPads, and iPhones. Today it is the most valuable company in the world.

Can this happen for BlackBerry? It’s more possible than you think.

Last month the company released its most innovative product in years: the BlackBerry Priv. This new phone solves nearly every issue that contributed to the firm’s epic collapse, namely a lack of apps, a clunky user interface, and outdated hardware. BlackBerry may have found its version of the iPhone in one product.

lol

apple turned itself around in 1 year, clearly blackberry can after 5+

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ill turn the corporate hq into a series of reality tv shows where i force my corporate slaves do embarrassing poo poo on camera

we won't even have to pay them extra because anyone loving stupid enough to still work for blackberry at this point will do anything to stay

this will generate more revenue than blackberry is currently making

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

it'll be like undercover boss except without medical bankruptcy or crushing racial inequality, and at the end of every episode all of the employees get blacksberry instead of cash or vacations

:911: lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

"Use us if you want to be secure*!"

*we can let anyone see what you're doing if someone asks nicely enough

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

infernal machines posted:

i've been saying that for years. they willingly give out their encryption keys to any government that asks. the only thing your BB communication is secure from is opportunistic non-state actors

that in itself isn't a bad thing, at least your phone won't get mitm'd on some airport cafe hotspot, but touting it as unbreakable security is a bit much. not to mention bby has access to all of your communications since everything is routed through them, any compromise of their network (see nortel and chinese hackers having access for a decade) means every bby customer is compromised

if you design something where the platform owner has keys to give out, it's inherently insecure

some opportunistic hacker can just hack into bb hq and get the keys theoretically

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

the blackberry priv

because you only get 4/7 of privacy

you get the PRIVilege of 4/7ths worth of PRIVacy :smug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

surebet posted:

gonna have to check out the priv to see if it can take the smart card reader rim decided to murder a few years back

i'm assuming it won't

help i'm stuck in bb10 limbo forever

sounds like your life sucks

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

no one is affected by the outage

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm glad its up to a corporation to figure out who is a criminal now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

New meaning of blackberry deathwatch: watching for people who die in blackberry cars

lol

• Locked thread