Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
"Been doing a lot of phone research recently. The BlackBerry Priv launched in Australia last week. The demo unit was cool. Did my research and uh. BlackBerry only shipped 45 units for the entire of Australia."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Have there been any non-Blackberry, not-just-a-glass-covered-slab phones since the Kin and Pre in (I think?) 2010?

Kyocera Echo, March 2011:

LG DoublePlay. November 2011:

both were swiftly taken off the market and didn't sell well

there's also this dumb russian phone that has an e-ink display on the back called the yocto or something from 2013 but there's no real good pictures

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

:psypop:

the entire focus of the device's marketing has been "security". of course you can't loving root it

uh and since when with blackberries has that meant it had actual security

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

i mean, they're incredibly stupid, but they're not stupid enough to make a "secure" phone that dispenses with even the pretense of security

counterpoint: every other existing blackberry phone

in seriousness i expect the only reason you can't root the priv is because like 500 people total own one and none have the necessary expertise

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
again though it's unlikely that the priv is actually unrootable, instead of that it's sold so few units that there doesn't happen to be anyone with the necessary expertise owning one.

likely just security through obscurity

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

"New Computer wont recognize blackberry curve 9360 to download pictures, downloaded software but still doesn't work. "

all those shots framed on a 480x360 screen, lost like tears in rain

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Bluemillion posted:

I don't browse POS threads other than pics very often, just happened to spy this thread. Okay, Blackberry is still in business. I can accept that. Is Palm Pilot still around? Because I still want to use the term Personal Digital Assistant in TYOL 2016.

Palm OS is owned by a company called ACCESS Software and they still have drivers and a Palm Desktop version that works on Windows 10 64 bit.

Palm the company got bought by HP years ago.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DuckConference posted:

they're not going to make keyboard phones anymore now

what exactly is their niche supposed to be now?

canadian idiots

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LastInLine posted:

and it will outsell the other two at a 4:1:1 ratio

yes, 4 units of the first model and one each of the two others

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
so blackberry released a clone of like, samsung;s flagship phone from 2013, except they are going to do it in late 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

yeah nextstep had a software library and developer community and a decade of bugfixing and polish before apple bought it

one of the reasons apple bought nextstep was that their internal efforts to clean-sheet write a new os from scratch (pink, taligent, etc) had all failed catastrophically

of course os x also failed catastrophically, but at least they tried

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

50 billion dollars a year in profit is what I would describe as a catastrophic failure.

os x doesn't make 50 billion a year in profit you crazy little man.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ahmeni posted:

yeah it's probs more

lol nope

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

FMguru posted:

apple made $53.4 bn in profit last year almost entirely by selling devices running some version of osx (mac, iphone, ipad, watch, tv)

no they did not, because ios has basically nothing to do with os x.

Endless Mike posted:

i was going to note that fishmech is implicitly agreeing that android is a massive failure because no one makes any money from it, but then i remember ms does, so good for ms, i guess

tons of people make money from android, which is used by billions of people. no one makes money from os x, which is used by about 5 remaining people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

ios is just embedded osx

it's true that they don't derive their profits from selling the software, but you can't dispute that ios is, in fact, an osx derivative.

can you run os x applications on it without complicated compatibility layers? answer: no

therefore its not os x

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you could, if apple let you. which they will not.

there is no technological reason you couldn't. it's an osx kernel with an osx userspace running on an osx filesystem

no you could not. as they are different operating systems. in order for apple to "let you" do it they'd need to majorly change it.

and no, it's an openstep kernel with a horrible mishmash userspace on a Classic Mac OS 8 filesystem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr. Apollo posted:

is windows rt windows?

nah

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

that said, lol @ fishmech's entire angle. if you go look up stebe's presentation announcing the iphone (it should be on youtube somewhere) i'm p. sure he basically called it os x on a phone, because they hadn't invented the ios name to describe it yet.

steve jobs also described magic fruit diets as a way to treat cancer successfully, and html5 on an EDGE connection as a good thing to use instead of native applications, i don't trust steve jobs to describe things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUIxyE2Ns8&t=502s

lol turns out jobs was even more explicit about it than i remembered. not that you need the word of jobs to know that actually, osx and ios are deeply related

you're just like trump, fishmech: no matter how obviously wrong the thing you said is, you think the worst thing in the world is to admit you were wrong, so you never do, and you get more angry about it the more wrong you're proven to be

Related to OS X does not mean is OS X. And jobs is still an idiot. It is obviously wrong to say iOS is OS X.

??

i'd love to see you defend this, since you can literally recompile windows apps from source targeted to arm and have them run on windows rt. the only restriction is microsoft's code signing check, which was bypassed on windows 8 rt and allowed you to do exactly that

Windows RT is only "just recompile." for a small selection of applications. You must do way more extensive modifications for most Win32 applications that run perfectly fine in desktop windows 8 and 10. In many products it would require a full rewrite.

Unless you're talking about the partial x86 emulator shim used to run the first office for rt versions which also brought in support for most of the normal windows app? But at that point you're doing things where you could say windows runs OS X apps with enough recompiling and intermediate shims.

But all that aside, Windows RT is already dead. It received its last updates last year and stayed on an 8.1 related code base. The only thing equivalent to it in active sale is Windows Phone, which requires even more extensive recompilation of normal windows programs to run on it, as well as specially crafted programs that can run on it, real windows 10 and Xbox One branched Windows 10.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

anything using base win32 libraries can be recompiled to run on windows rt, things that use custom x86 libraries will need them re-compiled for arm.

the solution for that, if you couldn't re-compile the custom libraries, was to use wine style emulation.

it's windows as much as windows for ia64 and power pc was windows

in other words, practically nothing runs without serious recompilation and refactoring, or heavy intermediary programs. see again for instance how full microsoft office only ran on windows rt through a partial x86 emulation layer at launch of the system.

if you're going to use that as the standard for "same operating system" then os x, linux, windows, os/2, amiga os, TOS and VMS are all "the same operating system"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

keep loving that chicken fishmech

yes i understand you apple morons are mad os x has always been a dead useless operating system

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

dude it's actually super popular

no it is not, and it has never ever been.

maybe you're thinking of windows? the os that is actually popular and run by billions of people on over 90% of computers? or maybe android which is run by billions of people on their phones, somewhere around 85% of them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

at least a billion iPhones are in active use, OS X is loving everywhere

iphones don't run os x. and they've sold less than 300 million total macs in the history of apple computer. and tons of those that were sold are too old to run any form of os x.

so no, os x is pretty much nowhere, since apple is a failure at computers and os x is so bad that tons of macs end up running windows exclusively

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

it's literally everywhere you big dumb idiot. posting from my OS X phone right now. suck it

lol no it isnt. you do not have an os x phone, you have an ios phone.

sorry that your brain broke from using your bad phone?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Fishmech operates in extremes, so if you aren't the most popular you aren't popular, etc. Items that fall into any sort of grey area don't exist.

there's no grey area, macs have sold like poo poo every year since 1984. in their best years during the 80s they never cracked 20% of the market.

if you think macs are popular, you might as well claim blackberry is currently a successful company

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maximum Leader posted:

osx is everywhere fishmech, deal with it

i wouldn't call not being present on the list proof of being "everywhere"

sorry that you're an idiot that doesn't know what os x is?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Management posted:

the true face of assburgers

yep that sure is you.

Maximum Leader posted:

aRE you BLIND?? IOS IS CLEARLY visible

ios, a thing that is not os x.

why's this so hard for you to understand?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minivanmegafun posted:

I know we're all being fishmech'd (about Macs in the blackberry thread of all places) but really where are these mythical macs running windows

see them all the time at starbucks etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

with a small group of qnx engineers and the few middle manager directors and vps that survived the purges over the years, there's a wealth of talent to take on google, tesla and uber!

you're aware uber's "research" program mostly consists of saying "boy self driving cars sure would be great for us" right

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mishaq posted:

i thought they poached a bunch of cmu researchers

many of whom have left/quit, many others barely do anything on the self-driving cars because uber isn't really spending that much on it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

yeah wasn't blackberry os "classic" basically their hellfucked pager os that grew up to become a really bad smartphone os? I remember articles about how they realized that improving bbyos wasn't going anywhere, they couldn't hire any talent good enough to take on cleaning the augean stables because those people would not want that job, and really they just couldn't attract good talent period. so they bought qnx and it was the right move

but they should have made it years earlier and by then they were so far behind iphone and android it was doomed to be too little too late

blackberry os was originally meant to run on a portable revision of the 80386 and just handle displaying and sending email over a low speed wireless data network - not even interfacing with SMS services or traditional pager systems. this was gradually adapted into doing telephony and then actually running other applications.

you had to buy different devices if you wanted to use email on a microsoft exchange system or if you wanted to use email with a more typical pop3/imap system. needed to connect to both? gotta carry two of them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

I had one (950 Mobitex), and remember it fondly. developing for it was real, real bad though.

developing for it? was that like, building custom email clients to interface with ancient corporate email systems so the executives could use their blackberries or something?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Subjunctive posted:

I did hack on a free software email client of the time (I forget the name), but mostly it was building e-cash prototypes based on expensive math and questionable storage behaviour. I remember the development environment rebooting the host computer, until a printf in another part of the code was removed.

honestly thats more intense development than i thought those devices were capable of handling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

power botton posted:

what was the phone or tablet that was totally bricked once the battery was discharged was that a surface or a BBRY

blackberry playbook.

early surfaces had an issue with batteries that got damaged more by the batteries being run flat then most are, but they wouldn't be bricks they'd just have terrible battery life after.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

minivanmegafun posted:

what would that even be, like sending a rep to stand on a street corner in a sizable city and hand out phones for free?

all sales are exclusively to people who plan to immediately destroy their phone on video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

more people shoplifted Blackberries and returned them for store credit than the number of people who bought them

when i got my last phone, at&t was running a promotion where you would get $40 in at&t store credit for every blackberry you brought in, regardless of carrier it was from or the type of it, it just had to be able to power on long enough to verify the screen worked.

and you could get a bunch of blackberry bolds or whatever for $10-$20 all over the place, so i got a bunch of those pieces of poo poo, turned them in, and ended up paying very little for my phone

• Locked thread