Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Umm, am I the only one that kind of misses the deeper level of those games though? I mean, there is eve online, but I'm more thinking something like asheron's call was. That is still around of course, but an improved version would be nice. I remember when I first played eq (after getting kind of tired/burnt out on ac) and being blown away that you could (relatively speaking) talk ot npcs in a mmo. As in keyboard chat. Not just right click the guy with an exclamation point, get quest, and go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

JuffoWup posted:

Umm, am I the only one that kind of misses the deeper level of those games though? I mean, there is eve online, but I'm more thinking something like asheron's call was. That is still around of course, but an improved version would be nice. I remember when I first played eq (after getting kind of tired/burnt out on ac) and being blown away that you could (relatively speaking) talk ot npcs in a mmo. As in keyboard chat. Not just right click the guy with an exclamation point, get quest, and go.

There's a flood of MMOs coming out that are the antithesis of what has come out of this genre since World of Warcraft. Problem is, these games take 5+ years to make and many of them are just hitting alpha since they were crowdfunded in 2013 and people burned themselves out by playing wipe after wipe doing the same poo poo over and over. It's why I'm going to go into Albion Online having fun while others are going to have to push themselves through doing the same things they've done before or not play at all now that it's out.

Also people have a really distorted sense of time when it comes to the development timeline of these games. Shroud of the Avatar is a good example. People talk about it like it has been some decade-long project but it only got funded in April of 2013.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
A lot of details and deepness turn into trash after a lot of expansions though. Everquest stats started to do literally nothing. So what did they do? They made new stats on top of the old stats called Heroic strength, heroic dex, heroic stamina, etc. And now THOSE stats hardly do anything. Heroic charisma is 100% useless, 25 heroic strength gives +1 bonus dmg: PLUS 1 on your hits that are doing like 10,000 at end game (the only time you ever care about stats). You might have around 500 heroic strength, so you get +20 bonus dmg. All this faux deepness just boils down into making +Hp, AC and +Mana the best stats.

Deepness is cool for sure, but if devs don't have the bankroll to actually keep tuning them it turns to trash apparently. WoW is pretty ontop of squashing item stats every expansion so they don't end up with stuff that's like +1000000 spirit. It flattens the game and makes everything kinda samey, but at least it's tuned, and that keep people playing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Alexander DeLarge posted:

There's a flood of MMOs coming out that are the antithesis of what has come out of this genre since World of Warcraft. Problem is, these games take 5+ years to make and many of them are just hitting alpha since they were crowdfunded in 2013 and people burned themselves out by playing wipe after wipe doing the same poo poo over and over. It's why I'm going to go into Albion Online having fun while others are going to have to push themselves through doing the same things they've done before or not play at all now that it's out.

Also people have a really distorted sense of time when it comes to the development timeline of these games. Shroud of the Avatar is a good example. People talk about it like it has been some decade-long project but it only got funded in April of 2013.

SOTA is a really funny example. The original timeline was it would be released by the end of the year 2016. It will not make that, but if they can get the bug whack a mole under control, they could easily release in mid 2017, which as far as kickstarter mmos go is, you know, fine, whatever. People are already talking about it as if it will never come out though. Yo can we wait until it's like, a month late first?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

darkhand posted:

A lot of details and deepness turn into trash after a lot of expansions though. Everquest stats started to do literally nothing. So what did they do? They made new stats on top of the old stats called Heroic strength, heroic dex, heroic stamina, etc. And now THOSE stats hardly do anything. Heroic charisma is 100% useless, 25 heroic strength gives +1 bonus dmg: PLUS 1 on your hits that are doing like 10,000 at end game (the only time you ever care about stats). You might have around 500 heroic strength, so you get +20 bonus dmg. All this faux deepness just boils down into making +Hp, AC and +Mana the best stats.

Deepness is cool for sure, but if devs don't have the bankroll to actually keep tuning them it turns to trash apparently. WoW is pretty ontop of squashing item stats every expansion so they don't end up with stuff that's like +1000000 spirit. It flattens the game and makes everything kinda samey, but at least it's tuned, and that keep people playing.

The everquest stuff is just a holdover because stats were deeply hosed since the game's onset. This is partially to do with the fact they never fronted the calculations that str/dex/agi actually made in combat and when they finally did, it turned out that raw stats made a mostly minuscule difference. By the time Velious came around, everyone was flirting with stat hardcaps of 255, not just ogre warriors. The only stats before then really worth capping were stamina (for everyone) and Wis/Int (for priests/wizards respectively, not because it added damage, but because of the extra mana pool). Hell, the concept of gear that makes wizard and priest spells hit harder and work better wasn't actually a thing they implemented until 4 or 5 expansions in, up until that point your spells and your mana pool alone determined your DPS.

Hell, everquest 2's stats were deeply hosed to the point where after Kunark the developers just said 'gently caress it' and made only 2 stats matter per class. That being Stamina and your archetype stat (str for fighters, wis for priests, ect) because gearing crusaders/inquisitors/druids/basically any class that dipped in multiple venues of melee/casting/healing was becoming a hellish slog that meant you either were a little lovely at everything, or you were good at one specific thing and very poo poo at everything else.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Everquest 2 had a terrible launch. Terribly unoptimised and people were crashing all over the place. It wasn't quite as bad as Vanguard but initial impressions didn't do that game any favours. It also ran into the problem of "why would I switch over when we have half a decade worth of content/expansions in EQ1?" so a lot of EQ fans didn't even bother.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

DeathSandwich posted:

Hell, everquest 2's stats were deeply hosed to the point where after Kunark the developers just said 'gently caress it' and made only 2 stats matter per class. That being Stamina and your archetype stat (str for fighters, wis for priests, ect) because gearing crusaders/inquisitors/druids/basically any class that dipped in multiple venues of melee/casting/healing was becoming a hellish slog that meant you either were a little lovely at everything, or you were good at one specific thing and very poo poo at everything else.

Man, that was a mess in EQ2, especially if you played a tweener class (for the time). Back then, Fury was supposed to be a secondary healer and a secondary ranger DPS type. That meant I had to have both high INT and high WIS, preferably a different set of gear for each that I had to switch out regularly. It was terrible, but at the same time it was kind of fun figuring out the best gear to result in beating Wizards in DPS and Wardens in HPS.

Everquest 2 had a terrible launch. Terribly unoptimised and people were crashing all over the place. It wasn't quite as bad as Vanguard but initial impressions didn't do that game any favours. It also ran into the problem of "why would I switch over when we have half a decade worth of content/expansions in EQ1?" so a lot of EQ fans didn't even bother.

I honestly don't remember anything bad about EQ2's launch besides the game itself was horribly unbalanced. I loved it; my brother hated it because his Shaman couldn't solo a drat thing by level 20. Either way, I loved it and wanted all my EQ mates to switch. Only about five of them did and not until Faydwer. I don't recall any crashes, but I do recall about a million crashes for Vanguard.

joshtothemaxx fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 23, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

biznatchio posted:

Maybe my memory's bad here but I don't remember the EQ2 launch being a fiasco. I think it suffered more from WoW coming out a couple weeks later and redefining what an MMO was (and exposing how dated EQ2's design and execution were) than any launch-related technical failings.

EQ2 was just a better EQ-era game. It just unfortunately came out in the last days of when people would accept the sadism inherent in an EQ-era MMO.

DeathSandwich does a good job of pointing out some of the problems with the EQ2 launch. I will add just two thoughts.

I actually worked on EQ2 for a short time in the summer of 2007 and got to know some people on the initial launch team pretty well. They made no bones about blaming WoWs ascendancy on the fact that the EQ2 team was forced to cut corners to beat WoW to the market, because someone's business analysis suggested SOE would end up retaining the majority of the MMO market share by doing so.

This was combined with a sort of dismissive attitude towards Blizzard because, of course, "any decision SOE makes is going to be better, just look at how many people play EQ." So they went with the same MMO formula that had worked so well (as DeathSandwhich points out) in 1999.

My other thought reflects what has been beaten to death over the last 13 years. SOE made the decision to develop an engine--a not so good one at that--which required computers with far better hardware than the many EQ players owned. This meant most EQ players would have to have spent two grand (in 2004) on a new computer to even run the EQ2 client. Most EQ players were not in a position to do this, and the ones that were, often as not, did exactly what Deathsandwhich said... they stuck with a game that had 5 years of content.

Then of course WoW launched two weeks later. Blizzard had ingeniously modernized MMO game play, which from a design perspective was a lot better than anything SOE was offerring, AND Blizzard's conscious choice to use stylized art in WoW meant that all those people currently playing EQ who wanted to try something new, but whose computers couldn't run EQ2, could play WoW.

Mix all that poo poo together and SOE executives (including Smed) were left scratching their collective heads for 3 years wondering how Blizzard could have possibly beat SOE in the MMO market; Of course "why" this had happened was painfully obvious to anyone with just a bit of reflection.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 23, 2016

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I had a top end PC at the time and EQ2 was basically unplayable in any city. I did really like my Berserker, but then they nerfed it into the floor as I recall.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZombieLenin posted:

DeathSandwich does a good job of pointing out some of the problems with the EQ2 launch. I will add just two thoughts.

I actually worked on EQ2 for a short time in the summer of 2007 and got to know some people on the initial launch team pretty well. They made no bones about blaming WoWs ascendancy on the fact that the EQ2 team was forced to cut corners to beat WoW to the market, because someone's business analysis suggested SOE would end up retaining the majority of the MMO market share by doing so.

This was combined with a sort of dismissive attitude towards Blizzard because, of course, "any decision SOE makes is going to be better, just look at how many people play EQ." So they went with the same MMO formula that had worked so well (as DeathSandwhich points out) in 1999.

My other thought reflects what has been beaten to death over the last 13 years. SOE made the decision to develop an engine--a not so good one at that--which required computers with far better hardware than the many EQ players owned. This meant most EQ players would have to have spent two grand (in 2004) on a new computer to even run the EQ2 client. Most EQ players were not in a position to do this, and the ones that were, often as not, did exactly what Deathsandwhich said... they stuck with a game that had 5 years of content.

Then of course WoW launched two weeks later. Blizzard had ingeniously modernized MMO game play, which from a design perspective was a lot better than anything SOE was offerring, AND Blizzard's conscious choice to use stylized art in WoW meant that all those people currently playing EQ who wanted to try something new, but whose computers couldn't run EQ2, could play WoW.

Mix all that poo poo together and SOE executives (including Smed) were left scratching their collective heads for 3 years wondering how Blizzard could have possibly beat SOE in the MMO market; Of course "why" this had happened was painfully obvious to anyone with just a bit of reflection.

Yeah, it's important to note that EQ2 and WoW came out roughly at the same time, and Blizzard had the foresight to release a game with such easy system requirements to hit you could throw a dead squirrel in a shoebox and make it run WoW passably stable. EQ2s game engine was poorly optimized and their target PC specs were so ludicrously high that people with brand new computers at that time still couldn't play the game at stable framerates. Hell. My computer built in 2012 still chugs on EQ2 in cities and any time shadows are turned on. To say the game was poorly coded is kind of a gross understatement.

It's things like the above though that make me wonder what people like Smedly and Brad McQuaid's capability for self-reflection is like. They both come across as victims of their ego and hubris and it would be interesting to think about how they view themselves in the context of their roles in these games.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Man, for all the poo poo EQ2 got at launch (deservedly so) I still thought it was great.. I played from like a week after launch up until the release of the first expansion, so literally my entire EQ2 experience is the vanilla game that came out at launch. I was able to run it on lowest settings on a Geforce 3 pretty easily, and I'd crank the settings up to take screenshots only I remember cause holy poo poo it was literally like 4fps on those settings. BUT the game I still thought was really fun... I ascended up through the content pretty fast on my barb mystic and joined the neckbeard raiding guild on my server who were still in the process of figuring out the original prismatic\Darathar quest. As horribly glitchy as the game was, going down to lower solb the first time in those gigantic lava chambers was cool as gently caress.

I think it really came down to the engine loving them over.. the gameplay could have been perfectly streamlined (it wasn't) and it still would have been clunky as hell to play.

I actually did try to get back into EQ2 like five years ago.... I downloaded the client and made a new account, and for the life of me I couldn't loving figure out how to just start at level 1 in Antonica.. it kept making me start as like level 70 in Halas for some reason. I played for like 30 minutes and quit.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 29, 2016

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Relayer posted:

I actually did try to get back into EQ2 like five years ago.... I downloaded the client and made a new account, and for the life of me I couldn't loving figure out how to just start at level 1 in Antonica.. it kept making me start as like level 70 in Halas for some reason. I played for like 30 minutes and quit.

EQ2 was my main MMO for a few years roughly around that time - I'm not sure why you would have been level 70, but I do remember that for some stupid reason your first character on an account only had one starting city option per faction. You could just find a travel bell and go where you actually wanted to start, though, so that mechanic was pointless.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Relayer posted:

As horribly glitchy as the game was, going down to lower solb the first time in those gigantic lava chambers was cool as gently caress.

I never played when SolB was raided; I came into the game DoN era when the content down there was trivial. When someone finally took me along for an exploration adventure in the zone it took 40ish minutes (if I recall correctly) to reach the bottom without fighting a single thing.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Don't know if anyone has been following Amazon Game Studios but they've been picking people up left and right from various studios including SOE and they just showed a teaser for this during their big press conference. I guess this is going to be their big engine showcase.
http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/29/so-one-of-amazons-new-games-is-an-mmorpg-sandbox-and-its-called-new-world/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Don't know if anyone has been following Amazon Game Studios but they've been picking people up left and right from various studios including SOE and they just showed a teaser for this during their big press conference. I guess this is going to be their big engine showcase.
http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/29/so-one-of-amazons-new-games-is-an-mmorpg-sandbox-and-its-called-new-world/

Can't wait to be disappointed!

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Surely this will be the mmo.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Pre-ordered

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Null1fy posted:

I never played when SolB was raided; I came into the game DoN era when the content down there was trivial. When someone finally took me along for an exploration adventure in the zone it took 40ish minutes (if I recall correctly) to reach the bottom without fighting a single thing.

Lol yeah.. going down there for the first time when everything was orange con and we needed like 30 people to make it to Nagafen running along those ruby bridges was so epic though. It is by far one of my best and nerdiest memories from any game.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

RCarr posted:

Pre-ordered

You might want to actually in case they hosed up. Pre-order price guarantee.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01M07V5OS/ref=sxts1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475254219&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Relayer posted:

Lol yeah.. going down there for the first time when everything was orange con and we needed like 30 people to make it to Nagafen running along those ruby bridges was so epic though. It is by far one of my best and nerdiest memories from any game.

Say what you will about the rest of EQ1's open, flat, boxy overworld maps. That game had some fuckin' dungeon crawls like whoa. Places like Najena, Sol A/B, Upper/Lower guk, Karnor's Castle, Kurn's Tower, Crystal Caverns, and Dragon Necropolis among others really gave the sense of sprawl and atmosphere that you don't really get from instanced EQ2/WoW/Ect's 'strict linear dungeons with 3 bosses that can be hammered out in 30 minutes'.

Hell, my favorite WoW dungeon back in the day was Blackrock Depths specifically because it was a very Everquest-1-like crawl through a sprawling non-linear metropolis with something like 2 dozen unique bosses depending on which paths you took through the place. Everyone else hated it because a full clear could take upwards of 2-3 hours for appropriately geared people, but I loving loved it because it was such an experience.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I miss the direlands of asheron's call 1. Going out there meant death was most likely inevitable. And getting your corpse back was going to be even more effort. That was also the days still where you left your gear behind on death.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Maybe it's a subtle hint it'll be F2P with some other monetization? Anyone actually do it and get a receipt for $0?

DeathSandwich posted:

Say what you will about the rest of EQ1's open, flat, boxy overworld maps. That game had some fuckin' dungeon crawls like whoa. Places like Najena, Sol A/B, Upper/Lower guk, Karnor's Castle, Kurn's Tower, Crystal Caverns, and Dragon Necropolis among others really gave the sense of sprawl and atmosphere that you don't really get from instanced EQ2/WoW/Ect's 'strict linear dungeons with 3 bosses that can be hammered out in 30 minutes'.

Hell, my favorite WoW dungeon back in the day was Blackrock Depths specifically because it was a very Everquest-1-like crawl through a sprawling non-linear metropolis with something like 2 dozen unique bosses depending on which paths you took through the place. Everyone else hated it because a full clear could take upwards of 2-3 hours for appropriately geared people, but I loving loved it because it was such an experience.
Feel like a notable piece of this difference was that WoW had it instanced while EQ didn't and the expectation in EQ wasn't for a single group (non-raid) to clear the whole entire thing. It also didn't help that WoW didn't have in-game maps for dungeons back then (but did for the world itself so there was no prominent EQAtlas analog) and finding non-poo poo guides could be a challenge so it was a pain if you didn't have someone who'd done it a bunch and knew the lay of the land.

Definitely agreed that a lot of WoW content outside of proper raids didn't/doesn't feel particularly epic in scale like plenty of stuff in EQ did, even if they did a good job to make things feel more epic with visuals/design. Kind of disappointing that even with nice features like LFG that ports you straight into the dungeons, the dungeons have tended to get more bite-sized since vanilla (BRD, Maraudon, Dire Maul) rather than using that streamlining as incentive to beef 'em up.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

bUm posted:

Maybe it's a subtle hint it'll be F2P with some other monetization? Anyone actually do it and get a receipt for $0?

I ordered 15 copies just in case. Got receipts for all of them. Thing is, they own Twitch so that could change their entire business model since they're making money off that. I could also see them doing some sort of "Play for free with Amazon Prime" deal.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
for like a month after eq2's launch the mob with the most PC kills every day was a crafting forge

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

lol if you posted:

for like a month after eq2's launch the mob with the most PC kills every day was a crafting forge

My brother was really proud that he hadn't died in EQ2 at all for like the first month the game was out, then a forge got him when he finally tried out tradeskills.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Was it Vanguard, EQ2 or some other MMO that had a title for not dying before level 20? I remember reading some rage about disconnects robbing people of the title.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Azubah posted:

Was it Vanguard, EQ2 or some other MMO that had a title for not dying before level 20? I remember reading some rage about disconnects robbing people of the title.

Quick google glance shows it was surprisingly LOTR, of all games.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I believe guildwars 1 had a title for that exact thing too.

Looking it up, there was one title for reaching max level in the low level pre-searing tutorial area your supposed to leave around level 5, where you ended up having to repeatedly die to enemies to level them up to the point where they would actually give you experience.
And a different one from the wiki

quote:

Survivor is a prestige title earned by avoiding death. Those who accumulate 1,337,500 consecutive points of experience without dying can display a statue in the Hall of Monuments.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Oct 3, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

lol if you posted:

When I was working on EQ2 I remember someone winning the lottery jackpot on a server and the payout was 3x the value of everything on the market.

CS literally shut down the entire server while the figures out wtf they were going to do. I have no idea what they did do, but I assume they figured it out.

Another funny GM related story from my SOE days:

I was on the design/QA side of things, but a really good friend of mine worked as a SWG GM (removed references to nepotism). He once brought an entire server down by accidentally setting his GM character size to infinite.

This literally caused them to change the GM client and put constraints on the size command.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 4, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ZombieLenin posted:

When I was working on EQ2 I remember someone winning the lottery jackpot on a server and the payout was 3x the value of everything on the market.

CS literally shut down the entire server while the figures out wtf they were going to do. I have no idea what they did do, but I assume they figured it out.

Another funny GM related story from my SOE days:

I was on the design/QA side of things, but a really good friend of mine worked as a SWG GM (removed references to nepotism). He once brought an entire server down by accidentally setting his GM character size to infinite.

This literally caused them to change the GM client and put constraints on the size command.

This is the kind of stuff I would love to hear about. All the funny anecdotes from things Sony or Origin didn't anticipate with EQ and UO because they were in unchartered territory while developing and maintaining the first mass market MMOs.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I still don't understand how that whole "true black" dyetub thing happened in early UO. Like, how were people able to make changes server-side like that?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

jabro posted:

This is the kind of stuff I would love to hear about. All the funny anecdotes from things Sony or Origin didn't anticipate with EQ and UO because they were in unchartered territory while developing and maintaining the first mass market MMOs.

Back in Asheron's Call 1, there was a bug called the Wi Flag that caused monsters to disproportionately target certain people over others. This was due to how the game rolls initial threat on mob spawn and is tied to a hash of you name, when you created the character, and certain other factors. The thing was in the game for years and people couldn't figure out why it was happening, at first the GMs just thought it was player pranks and jokingly named the bug after one of the first complainers.

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Secular Humanist posted:

I still don't understand how that whole "true black" dyetub thing happened in early UO. Like, how were people able to make changes server-side like that?

Originally, by using tools to manipulate the stream of data between the client and the server. The server didn't have the appropriate checks in place to ensure the integrity of the value that indicated the color of a dye tub even though the client was responsible for determining the color during creation. So you could create a dye tub in the normal way, tell the server it was pure black, and the server would just believe you on the color and dutifully put a pure black dye tub in your bag instead of a red one or whatever you should have rightfully gotten.

The weirdness of the true black color wasn't a hack. It was a special color that already existed in the UO client for some reason. It was just before true black dye tubs were created, there was nothing in game that actually had that color value assigned to it. (There were other special colors too, like one that would give your items a weird rainbow-like coloring because it applied a corrupt palette; but those obviously weren't as cool as black.)

It's events like that, and other hacks, that led Raph Koster, MUD luminary and lead designer of UO, to write a lot of the stuff he later did. "Never trust the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy." MMO servers today are a lot smarter about being highly mistrustful of anything the client wants to do, 1997 was just a simpler time.

biznatchio fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 5, 2016

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

biznatchio posted:

Originally, by using tools to manipulate the stream of data between the client and the server. The server didn't have the appropriate checks in place to ensure the integrity of the value that indicated the color of a dye tub even though the client was responsible for determining the color during creation. So you could create a dye tub in the normal way, tell the server it was pure black, and the server would just believe you on the color and dutifully put a pure black dye tub in your bag instead of a red one or whatever you should have rightfully gotten.

The weirdness of the true black color wasn't a hack. It was a special color that already existed in the UO client for some reason. It was just before true black dye tubs were created, there was nothing in game that actually had that color value assigned to it. (There were other special colors too, like one that would give your items a weird rainbow-like coloring because it applied a corrupt palette; but those obviously weren't as cool as black.)

It's events like that, and other hacks, that led Raph Koster, MUD luminary and lead designer of UO, to write a lot of the stuff he later did. "Never trust the client. The client is in the hands of the enemy." MMO servers today are a lot smarter about being highly mistrustful of anything the client wants to do, 1997 was just a simpler time.

That's really interesting. Man... if I had a time machine, I'd use it to go back and relive early 1997-1999 era UO again. Not, ya know, for the betterment of humanity or anything. Early UO is still the greatest gaming experience I've ever had.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DeathSandwich posted:

Back in Asheron's Call 1, there was a bug called the Wi Flag that caused monsters to disproportionately target certain people over others. This was due to how the game rolls initial threat on mob spawn and is tied to a hash of you name, when you created the character, and certain other factors. The thing was in the game for years and people couldn't figure out why it was happening, at first the GMs just thought it was player pranks and jokingly named the bug after one of the first complainers.

http://asheron.wikia.com/wiki/Wi_Flag

That is awesome. Thanks!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like that a useless game's thread has been hijacked into a nostalgic MMO secrets thread, the best kind of hijack.

jabro posted:

EQ's transport ships were actually considered a type of NPC, the ship's ballast was a weapon it was holding. A monk had a very small chance at disarming the ship, causing the ship to travel very fast.

UO used to have their remember password feature save in plain text. A number of house break-in exploits existed in the early years, though I forget how most of them exactly worked, it was kind of a meme to expect it to involve stacking items.

Shadowbane forgot to put account checks on their GM tools. Players found out and, like pvpers won't to do, teleported to newbie island and slaughtered all the newbies until it was fixed.

In DAoC, Albion used to have geometry in their frontiers that allowed attackers to set up siege weapons and fire at the teleport pad. The Shrouded Isles expansion had a number of holes in the earth for Albion's new level 40-50 zone, but they were located out of the way and players loved the convenience because falling through the earth gave you a free teleport to your bind spot.

WoW (release day) had a bug where a priest could control a mob that another faction player was fighting, causing that player to flip pvp and basically ganked. I was on the receiving end of one of those :(

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I like that a useless game's thread has been hijacked into a nostalgic MMO secrets thread, the best kind of hijack.

EQ's transport ships were actually considered a type of NPC, the ship's ballast was a weapon it was holding. A monk had a very small chance at disarming the ship, causing the ship to travel very fast.

To go along with this, druids and shamans use to be able to cast a run speed buff on the boat to make it go absurdly fast too. In some cases, this would break scripting with regards to the boat zoning and drop people into the water at the far end of Oceans of Tears.

In North Temple of Veeshan, a raid zone in EQ1's Velious expansion, there was a particular event a couple of bosses in where the entire raid force is suppose to get trapped in a ring a precarious bridge and fight waves of enemies. Back in the day, rather than teleport people or create hard boundaries for players to operate in, when someone triggered the event it just deathtouched everyone in the zone who wasn't in the ring. During my guild's first foray into NToV our puller didn't know about it and when we got to the point in the event, he accidentally hailed the NPC that starts the event, which immediately triggered it and deathtouched the entire raid that was some distance away.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

DeathSandwich posted:

...he accidentally hailed the NPC that starts the event, which immediately triggered it and deathtouched the entire raid that was some distance away.

This is what is missing from modern MMOs. Most of them feel like single player games with other sprites running around that have no consequence on your experience.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

UO had a dupe bug that was still in the game well in to T2A and maybe even longer. I don't think it ever got out like these things usually do, but it was easy to dupe anything. When the UO servers went down every night they announced it server wide and at some point anything you did no longer mattered. This was well known and usually groups of people would be fighting in places like the brit graveyard at least on my server. What people didn't know was that they way UO saved items was that it went through and saved everyone's bank items first, and then saved their characters. There was a ~10 minute window in between these two actions. If you knew around when this was going to happen you could wait for your bank to save, then transfer whatever you wanted to dupe to your character. When you logged in after the server came back up you'd have the same item on both your char and in your bank. I had a limitless supply of gold thanks to this.

It was eventually fixed by kicking everyone off the server before saving everything, but this was after a looooong time of it being around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Minnesota Mixup posted:

UO had a dupe bug that was still in the game well in to T2A and maybe even longer. I don't think it ever got out like these things usually do, but it was easy to dupe anything. When the UO servers went down every night they announced it server wide and at some point anything you did no longer mattered. This was well known and usually groups of people would be fighting in places like the brit graveyard at least on my server. What people didn't know was that they way UO saved items was that it went through and saved everyone's bank items first, and then saved their characters. There was a ~10 minute window in between these two actions. If you knew around when this was going to happen you could wait for your bank to save, then transfer whatever you wanted to dupe to your character. When you logged in after the server came back up you'd have the same item on both your char and in your bank. I had a limitless supply of gold thanks to this.

It was eventually fixed by kicking everyone off the server before saving everything, but this was after a looooong time of it being around.

Vanguard had this same bug, at least near the end. Anything that was either picked up or deposited in your house during the last 15 minutes before the daily server restart would be duped afterward. Once the game was announced for sunset, I duped just about everything I had available that was useful. Gave me a large cache of gold/plat for the end of days, tricked out some alts, and gave all sorts of stuff away to guildies for free.

• Locked thread