Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Washington if you wanna add it we have #EQLandmark on synirc for an irc channel too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Where the heck do I find Tourmaline?

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

E: sorry for the doublepost.

I also tend to do a lot of streaming over at http://www.twitch.tv/allborland/
for those interested. Won't be at it much longer tonight though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

joebob posted:

posted twenty minutes ago.

"@terryjmichaels 22m
Servers down in 20 minutes for update! Serenity is on the way!"

SERENITY NOW!

couldn't resist...

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Droid Washington posted:

Here are the update notes!

From Terry Michaels:

Sadly, no news on rerolled characters and founders items :smith:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
It definitely has that grind feel I didn't expect at first.I just wanted straight up building. It would be nice if they created a two type style of play where it was just creative mode for those who wanted it on a creative mode server. And explorer's mode for the rest.

Well heck maybe even cross em. Just make the materials bound to each type of server.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Let's make this goonfort the best goonfort.

Whens it comin up? I got a claim I need to place.

E: our fortress must be dilapidated and we all live in an unfinished basement.

E: also what tier are you guys going for? I'm thinking 3 is best for long term.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

blastron posted:

I actually don't mind having to expend effort to get materials! I am perfectly okay with being stuck building lovely mud huts for the first few days of gameplay, as long as the journey to get to the point where I can build awesome castles is actually fun. Holding down the left mouse button to chop trees or mine metals isn't fun. Crafting an axe, but having to scrap it because you didn't get lucky and it's not the perfect axe isn't fun. Spending hours laying out a wall brick by brick when you could have done it in seconds with a tool you don't start with isn't fun.

I do not understand the mentality that it is okay for MMOs to use boring gameplay as a gating mechanism for the cool stuff.

Not not having the scale / copy tool does suck balls. I also hope they add a way to resize textures so you can have smaller stones. Some of the mare just gigantically big when you want a brick house you don't want a brick the size of a car.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rasmussen posted:

The CTS mumble

Got a link to the mumble? Can't find it in the OP.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Rasmussen posted:

I don't participate, but they have a thread in PGS:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521554

Thank you.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Shinino Kage posted:

Well, I'm completely bugged. My claim is eating my items when I put them down. Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

The curse of Frog temple strikes! :getin:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kelp Plankton posted:

I started building a weird, lovely little cabin just to learn how the construction tools work. They're kind of slow, but they're not too bad. Once I can get the rest of the tools crafted I'll probably be able to do some cool things? But for now, I ran out of wood before I made a roof so my dumb shack has no ceiling. I'll probably tear it all down anyway and build some cool valley ruins or something instead though.

Frog temple's gotta have a frog valley with a forbidden frog ruin, right?

We could use a doobies dog shack.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
About to begin my quest to build frog temple once more. This time I'm building a pick to mine iron with.
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland

for those who want to watch me fail horribly.

E: also if anyone can spare a pick thats better much appreciated.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

SymfonyMan posted:

Turn that music down. You can't even hear the game or you guys talking.

E: I had to turn it off. That music was too terrible I tells ya!

Didn't realize it was that loud :/ turned it down to 10%

Don't know how much longer I'll be streaming tonight.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
So after about 5 or so hours of fooling around with tools and gathering materials I built my first thing.

A rough frog statue still undergoing some touches and improvements. I haven't added the eyes yet but here's two views of it.

The sky is really reflective in its chin it would seem.

When I get more time I plan on working on it some more. I template saved it just in case though.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
They really need to add ellipses and cylinders. Judging by how big the shape menu is I'm guessing they will.

My frog statue would be going so much smoother if I could have just done one cylinder for each leg instead of combining spheres and trying to smooth them out.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Bede posted:

Its a pain but you could hack a cylinder by taking a sphere slicing off all but the central disc then copy and paste the disc a few times. (save your finished cylinder as a template so you never have to do it again.)

If only spheres were that friendly. When yous tart cutting them piece by piece they get very jagged very fast.

Prophecy120 posted:

Tier 1 and only useful for copper and gems used to make the copper pick. I think they will end up adjusting the usefulness of the founders pickaxe since I replaced it with my first crafted green pick.

Smooth tool is a high-end tool that is made from the marble furnace and takes tier 5-6 materials.
In correct, you can mine tin with it as well. So it is better than a copper pick, however you still need a copper pick for the next pick upgrade.. Just a lil easier to mine tin at the start.

Also can you scale templates?

E: I added frog's eyes.

Droid Washington posted:

What's up no talent buddy. I too am not creative at all and have land right next to the spires. :getin:

Even with no talent you can make bad frogs like me!

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 6, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

J posted:

I feel real dumb but where do I get tourmaline? I need it to make the bronze pick and I've been running around mining copper and tin and still have 0 tourmaline.

pink stuff i found it in t2.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Droid Washington posted:

With as little info as we know about EQN it's probably a good thing anyway. SOE's focus is on Landmark right now.

This probably should happen. I think of this as the alpha alpha for EQN. Why? Because these models and environments will probably make it into EQN. If they add extra races that too...

Either way its clear EQN is a ways off. I'm fine with that. I can fantasize and create my own dungeons in the meantime.

E:
my next goal is to build this:

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 7, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can someone give me a bit of a rundown about this game? I've heard next to nothing about it and I'm not much more informed after reading the OP but I'm looking for something to new to play and this was brought up in another thread.

I'll stream some for you.
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland/
Feel free to ask questions as they come. Give me a minute to start it up.

E:
gently caress the game is down.

Short version, its like a fancy minecraft. It really isn't implemented a lot yet as it is early alpha, but creation is fun. I made some fun things but there are tools I am starting to wish I had in the game or things I wish I had. I'll probably compile a list of things and submit them on the forums for alpha.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 7, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

joebob posted:

Server is up again.

Chat channels seem to be broken, I am no longer in EQNLGoons and it won't allow me to join it anymore.

Awesome, be on in a bit.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

jabro posted:

David Georgeson just posted his neighbor's creation.

Was thinking about building a chessboard from BB.

E:

I'm streaming my attempt to build the hand from EQ 1 now
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
You guys gotta hand it to me:

I'm pretty good at this now :smug:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Droid Washington posted:

At the very least use the Selection tool to copy/paste the hand so it's two hands in the form of goatse. You have a goon duty.

I could easily add a ring around one of them too.
I thought twice about carving a hole in my mountain and having the hands look like they were opening it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Kenny Rogers posted:

Omeed isn't *just* a member of the EQNL team.
He's the BEST member of the team.

He has his own in-game emote (/onod) that comes from one of their livecasts where there was some discussion of the Iksar not wearing clothes - and therefore being 'naked Iksar'...or something. (Found it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYxZXszcM_s

There is also cries like Omeed. My personal favorite.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Sorry for the double post, been some time figured A new post was good for updates.

Worked on Unrest a bit more:

Really wish I had more room to build.

E: Some unrest references sadly not enough room :( I plan on adding my own little details as I go. I may change the fountains too to something more grand I think. Some kind of broken angel weeping.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 13, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Not enough corpses and also needs a basement train with hags and tentacle terrors walking back into the house.

But seriously, awesome job, would love to see this finished eventually :)

In due time... due time... I have a bloody memory system to finsih by Saturday though. So that's going to suck my soul up and spit me out as a crippled mess first.

Really wish they had proper doors in, :smith:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Sancho posted:

I like it. Brings back memories. Did you make the moss effect by hand?

E: gently caress, double post.

Yes it's surprisingly SUPER EASY.

All you do is you put grass stone down in it in a vine like pattern.

You can connect it like a pipe or go diagonal if you please.

Then take the stone mountain texture and apply it on the sides of the moss as you go along. It will blend with the brick and moss creating that nice effect.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Vulpes posted:

Good stuff. Going to miss Iron on T3 though, having to go somewhere else for it is a pain in the rear end when you live miles from the spires.

George mentioned something about a teleport stone that lets you get to the spires. I would like to find one of these ASAP.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
6CXH-JRPN-2JX7-VT4E-PAG2

Tried using this one not sure it worked. Just went to my account page.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Second looks used too...

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Vulpes posted:

drat, that's a shitload better than the viridium one. I wish I'd tried harder to snag a code during the livestream.

Honestly they should just effing give them to all the alpha testers.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Remb posted:

Minas Tirith. Not mine

http://imgur.com/a/cKakh

:eyepop:
how do you fit that on a single plot wow.

E: Apparently I got the middle code for the grapple hook. Hollly crap this thing is a million times better than the generic one.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 14, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

joebob posted:

One of the reasons I think Planetside 2 and now this game are so interesting to me is the overall shift in approach that SOE is taking with it's MMO's.

Smed tweeted a link to his blog http://smedsblog.com/ the other day but I don't think anyone on here mentioned it. It only has one post at the moment but it's about SOE's current view of mmo's.

:eyepop:

I like what he said, but its coming from Smed... I don't know what to think.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I am starting to feel the pain of not having enough claim space.

The estate of Unrest is not one that will fit easy into one claim alone. I easily need at least 2-3 to build the mansion alone.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

So, I started adding on a secret cavern below my castle.

Lets see where it leads.

Hmm, this seems familiar

Yes, yes I definitely think I've been here before...

Oh! Well hello there old friend!

How are you doing?

Its good to see you again!

I logged into that project 1999 server just to take accurate measurements of befallen, and had it laid out perfectly, however after plotting it all in mspaint It was going to be beyond the bounds of my claim. Like Al Borland just said, REALLY feeling the cramped claim area. So I had to cut the floorspace exactly in half, but this then hosed up the height, since I couldn't cut that exactly in half it ended up very stretched vertically. Still, I'm reasonably happy with how its come out so far, even if I Still have a lot of details and other rooms to add. (as much as I can fit that is... its probably ready to pop out the side of my mountain as it is.

The second I saw the first picture and the walls I knew what you were making. I'm a bit jealous it looks good, but you and I share the same awful fate, not enough space.

E: God drat i want to work on your befallen now. I could make you some spikes for heads.

E:2 Guycott where is your claim? Do /loc and give me the numbers I wanna come look at it.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 23, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

If plot sizes can be increased enough, or join up with others plots, I would love to do a full sized version of this, or something in the final game. If there was enough control, and stuff over plots and land, it would be amazing to see a whole section of the final game world as a giant collaborative remaking of the eq1 geography. Hah.

Stay in touch with me. I'm going to be buying a lot of land when the game goes live. If we buffer our claims out right we can get some prime area and make a bunch of dungeons from old EQ and other neat things.

IDK how station cash will tie into the game but I've got about 200 dollars (if they ever have a frigging double cash day again.) Just waiting to be pumped into the game.

E: I plan on making Guk, Qeynos, Freeport, Befallen (now), BlackBurrow, Butcherblock Chessboard, and a bunch of other things. I'm sure we'll attract a lot of people to it.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love to make neriak

Only if we do the one bar with the stripper club first.

I need some hot hot ogre stripper action.

E: I know it has been said before but do /join EQNLGoons we all chat in there and it has been lonely lately

E2:

Saw people are building giant poo poo. This pissed me off and seeing as I don't have enough room to work on unrest I decided I need to kill giant poo poo.

Climbing up the hill to my plot You can see my growing displeasure.:

I really like its glowing firey eye:

The right side tubes need some work and doing curves is a BITCH. especially when around a sphere. But for a few hours of work and my first time attempting it I'm happyish. I still have a lot of the Zaku II body to go though.

Overhead View: You can still see a glow in the red eye a bit.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 28, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

signalnoise posted:

I went ahead and bought into alpha and I got "holy poo poo this is actually an MMO" the first time I dug a cave, first time I started building stuff on my claim, and the first time I rotated the map and realized it was a real-time 3D model with depth. Whether this is a good game or not I hope this changes how people make video games. I'm already impressed.

It is fun, I think everyone is just waiting for that second claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

HughGRect posted:

Scurry Forest. Tundra adds snow and ice textures, and the scary forest thing has trees with faces and misty appearance or something.
[*]12 new islands per server, 4 for each tier 1 - 3.
[/list]

Welp time to movie.

• Locked thread