Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Nalin posted:

I know this was a bug that needed fixing, but man if it wasn't ever convenient to click start on a 300 item build and be able to drag the window to the corner of your screen and run away to do stuff. It's like how they made it so when the game client loses focus, you stop chopping wood. They are bugs/exploits that need to be fixed, but it really makes things inconvenient for the players.

Unnecessary timesinks tend to heavily stifle if not ruin the creative potential of sandbox games.

Kenny Rogers posted:

In The Secret World, each "level" is divided into three progression bars. Each bar is 40k XP, and each "level" is 120k XP. FOREVER. Each time you level up, you get points to spend on *access* to new abilities - but you have a limited number of abilities you can equip at any given time. So "levelling up" is equivalent to gathering more flexibility, not power, for your character.

The MMO genre has been about 10 years overdue for switching over to lateral progression systems.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Master Twig posted:

As cool as it is seeing what people have built, I'd like a private server version that allowed building anywhere, unrestricted. The claims are just too small.

I would imagine if they released Landmark in the same way Minecraft Creative was released Sony would print money. There can't be a small amount of people who want Minecraft creative with more robust graphics and less blocky everything.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LumberingTroll posted:

7 Days, to Die, and Planet Explorers are two that I can think of off the top of my head.

Both of those games have the same pitfall of putting linear progression in the way of creativity and/or the creation tools/interface featured in both aren't even close to Landmark. As long as there is money to be made from rubes who buy into games with linear progression cooperative voxel based creation will be relegated to Minecraft creative because it is currently the best option. I'm not going to grind to make fun things with friends in a video game after working all day and I'm shocked other people are willing to. As for single player experiences people can just go download Unity and make whatever they want but I'm focusing on online cooperative creative experiences.

It's once again a shame to see a great creative gaming opportunity be squandered by greed and consumers' affinity for skinner boxes. There's nothing wrong about adding gameplay elements into something like Landmark but grinding is not a gameplay element.

e: I have a little faith for Planet Explorers depending on how much power server administrators to have to allocate resources to players such that grinding would not be required to build and interact with the world so thank you for reminding me it exists. If PE goes the way of Minecraft where modding support is huge then despite being a little miffed because of how nice Landmark looks PE would fill the niche of no-grind online creative building experiences.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 27, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What does all this leveling really add to the game besides a timegate, I would very much like to one day see a MMO style game without a leveling treadmill and everything being open, the only limiter being player knowledge and resources.

The WoW private server community used to have "funservers" where you could just get everything and go do all the content.

They were really fun.

MMOs are by far more entertaining and enjoyable without the grind. The problem is it's business suicide so no one will invest in it. No investment means no one to keep the servers online.

• Locked thread