Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

starfish posted:

I also got bored of my first claim so I added this to it. It was my attempt at recreating one of my favorite houses in UO (Two story villa).

I half-assed it.

I had a feeling I'd be beaten to the punch, but the first thing I was going to do when the game opens to the public was recreate all the old UO houses. Are you planning to do others or just stick with that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I told myself I was going to wait until open beta, but an acquaintance from another forum offered a key and I couldn't resist.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Castlechat!

A decent replica of the mage tower from UO. It's missing some details but mostly on the inside so I don't care.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Nothing makes you feel inadequate quite like exploring other people's claims. I'm in awe at some of the stuff people have built. I can't even figure out how they did some of it. I see shapes on walls and fences I didn't think were possible. Every time I try stuff like that I get a distorted mess.

Part of that creativity comes from the developers not fully understanding how their own system works. You basically need to mess around with smoothing voxels a bunch in order to get every strange permutation of a voxel the system really has. I've seen more than a couple claims dedicate a warehouse sized wall or two toward the most minute voxel changes. They should just make it part of the toolset.

One of my new houses has a fence on a patio. All I did was smooth a single voxel, arranged them into a fence-like pattern and magically I get this fence that looks almost like a hand-made prop. It also causes the patio to warp around the individual poles, so it isn't perfect.

I'm more frustrated that I can't make a roof with a slope that isn't flat or 45 degrees. Also, everything not a cube shaped voxel doesn't come with a single voxel size, so I have to make the bigger version then select just one sloped part of the block. And sometimes those sloped voxels become corrupted and make small holes in your roof.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Beowulf posted:

As for the roof issue, maybe there's some intricate dicking about with the line tool that could be done to create odd-sloped roofs?

You'd think a tool billed for creating angles would do exactly that, but as far as I can tell, it's only good for making lines. Any attempt to make an angle causes the tool to highlight red. So unless I'm missing something obvious, it seems broken.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've been thinking about a good place to put a second claim, when I came across this small empty space next to the portal on Bay where a previous claim had been. Plopped down my claim, added some sandstone ruins, some public crafting tables and now I wait for the likes to roll in! :toot:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Even with the reduced tool prices, I still end up having to mine a lot of uncommon resources just to get a rubicite axe with more than 2 upgrade slots :negative:

And if that isn't bad enough, someone is claiming they only got 1 damaged core sifting 750,000 dirt. That's a lot of dirt farming.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like props, but they're better looking than anything voxel related. We need a way to use voxels in a manner that lets us get an extreme amount of detail, so that we can make things almost indistinguishable from props.

Here is a video from a different voxel related project that is doing things I wish this game could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZTk2hDAEQ

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's more like a low-fps jungle basin that occasionally crashes my display drivers.

When a proper world is put in, we definitely need to not be in the jungle.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A new blueprint has been posted.

Looks like we're getting the first iteration of caves and oceans within the next two weeks. If anyone has a plot on a beach, you're either going to get neato beachfront property or be underwater.

I'm going to miss the easy resource collection along the beaches.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

pixaal posted:

Nah all claims are being reset when they add oceans I believe, same with caves.

I see they have an older post regarding wipes and they do mention caves/ocean specifically, but lately the developers (on at least one stream) have been acting like a claim wipe isn't going to happen. It's a bit confusing.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/faq-updates-may-7-2014-special-note-re-wipes.36572/

No claim wipe with oceans (which was added today). There will be a claim wipe when they add caves.

The new dirt veins pump out a decent amount of artifact fragments, plus we can craft a new tier of sifter and sifters accept stone. Seems like a good time to legendary all your tools if you haven't done so.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah at this point unless they add something really major during closed beta, like combat I'm probably done for a while. It just feels pointless putting any effort into things that you *know* will be gone in short order.

I guess I never liked building sand castles enough.

They are adding combat before open beta.

Open beta isn't happening for several more months.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson/status/471683409090060289

quote:

Even better news! THERE WILL BE NO CLAIM WIPE when CAVES debut. (Details today on Landmark Live.) Build freely, Landmarkians!

It would be hilarious if landscape changes/improvements were ditched to placate the heavy amount of whining over losing your spot in the world.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They should replace the toolset with turtle graphics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Knight2m posted:

Yeah, I got bored/discouraged with building when I see people make really awesome stuff, and mine was never going to be as good.

It's natural to get discouraged when some of the basic building tools don't work and the community runs away with what are basically bugs in the engine. "It's on youtube" is being used as an excuse not to write any proper documentation, much less make any attempt to logically and seamlessly integrate these de facto design aspects into the tools properly.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Despite its poor progress, I spend about 10-15 minutes a week mining enough copper to keep most of my plots where they are.

Except not anymore. Either they changed cave entrances or added more without mentioning it, because now my main plot was a little too close to a new cave entrance.

Oh and also the game got even more choppy and crash prone with the last couple patches.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think what I really want at this point is stability and a consistent framerate. No point in romping around your enchanted piss forest if your drivers crash every 10 minutes.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Annexed posted:

I did the same. So yeah if anyone is still playing (I know there isn't) and has any good suggestions I'm all ears!

I have public stations on Adventure - Bay right next to the portal, if you don't feel like rushing to get yours up and running. It's also halfway decent to look at.

I don't actually play anymore, I just keep the claim funded in case the game suddenly becomes fun.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There's pretty much no reason to build in any specific spot except maybe wanting to be close to a portal. The most common spots taken were along the claim borders of the portal or atop tall mountains, and briefly along the shores when oceans were added. Since then a bunch of them have been freed up, with the exception of some tier 4 zones.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I don't usually toot my own horn but I logged in recently to see my claim has over 50 likes :smug:

Also some twitch streamer wants to interview me about my virtual house, should I do it?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah what the hell Twitch.

Here it is on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi4LhnbOSxQ

Racist cab driver remark at 34:12, good job Mark.

I needed a teleportation pad when I actually enjoyed this game.

Although arena pvp is boring, having the community building the arenas for you isn't such a bad idea. poo poo, if they had RvR and let players make whole continents to fight on, I'd even be excited.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's one thing to build a penis. It's another to give it purpose.

An arena where you take and hold penises.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The grappling hook now uses... mana? I guess? Even if you miss and it applies outside pvp. Basically you can't really grapple travel around the map anymore. As if it weren't already slow to begin with.

Worst update ever.

There is apparently a zone somewhere where a person was allowed to exceed the limit on space used. They took advantage of it, and while it looks nice, everyone who's been there reported severe performance decreases. Explains why they've been so slow doling out more attached claims.

Is there any interest in getting a goon guild started? It's been kinda quiet but I figured someone would've volunteered by now.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

My claim. Honestly, not as impressive as some others.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There are now bathroom items (tub, sink and toilet) and also chains and rope so you can hang yourself in your bathroom.

Also this month is officially Bug Fixing Month but they still haven't fixed whatever causes my drivers to crash :argh:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A few days old, but Omeed has jumped ship. Sounds like upper management issues. Not sure what this means for the game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

DeathSandwich posted:

It seems kind of weird that a group would continue to do their dastardly deeds after facing down their hubris and tentatively making peace with their original enemy.

It seems I was too hopeful they would be able to pull off a system where mobs/civs are migratory. So after defeating the ancient evil, instead of nature or them coming back, we could've gotten like a sand giant faction or a troll faction suddenly appear. Even better would be some sort of border-relevant invasions. Having each zone have fixed forces is effectively no different than what GW2 does now.

I hope down the road they'll be able to implement something more context sensitive to change things up. A dark elf that doesn't bow when presented with the scepter of authority could spark a rebellion among their ranks, or an emissary from another faction looking to make a mutual defense pact so you can see either forces in either lands once in a while.

Also, looking at the dark elf designs, it seems Landmark has the inferior product. There are some designs in there that are impossible to get in Landmark. I suspect a bunch of designers said gently caress it to voxels and fell back on traditional polygons.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Doggir posted:

allowing people to build their own dungeons and give people access to some scripting..

I like this idea, even though it didn't really help City of Heroes/Villains or Neverwinter Online.

This game needs a graphic overhaul, too.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
You're pretty much on your own. Feel free to visit MY HOUSE in adventure - bay, it's right next to the portal.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Something resembling gameplay is coming in december, according to their current blueprint, which is missing a lot of its long-term goals now. Monsters, health/energy progression, actual armor/weapons to choose from, and the caves will go all the way down.

I wish I had saved their previous blueprints. I get the feeling someone showed them how far the hype train left and now everyone's scrambling to put an actual game in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I won't be mad. I got in through a friend code!

I will miss making houses though, because houses and house decoration is extremely my poo poo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They hosed around with resources. Old tools still work, but it sounds like they want you to make new tools before they get rid of them. I never want to go back to using low tier poo poo picks ever again, it's just insane to do any sort of mining without a top tier legendary.

Also the patch notes suggested that a bunch of my resources got converted into blocks, but apparently that wasn't the case. Which is good, because I have enough copper to keep my plot up for a couple months and I would've been quite upset if that happened.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Nalin posted:

Oh, where do they say that? All my current tools worked just fine. Do you have old tools since before the item migration? Those lack upgrade slots. I have old tools, but post item migration, so I have things like a Mithril pickaxe with 4 upgrade slots.

https://forums.station.sony.com/landmark/index.php?threads/update-notes-17-dec-2014-let-there-be-monsters.51046/

quote:

Existing picks have been retired and can no longer be crafted, but players who previously created them can still use them to harvest voxel materials belonging to appropriate tiers.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Well before the acquisition, I had a feeling just based on the direction Landmark was going that Next was going to be dropped in favor of Landmark. Landmark didn't need pve/pvp content, but it got it, and I can't help but wonder if the guys upstairs were already looking to consolidate.

Now it's them that have been consolidated :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
^^^ what he said, but here's the tl;dr version.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What exactly is the different between "voxels" and "the way other games are made"?

Most games use polygons, which models the surface of an object but the spaces within are basically hollow. Voxels are a 3d grid, which can model the whole of an object, but have various drawbacks that made it unpopular for video game design.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

So what happened?

I'd literally never even heard of this game until people started saying that SOE was killing it, and when I go back to the first posts in this thread it's full of people apparently having fun and posting screenshots of silly frog towers and Castle Greyskull, and then the posts just stopped for like six months, followed by people bitching. Why did the game suck so much?

If you wanted to build anything nice, you had to take advantage of the most obtuse voxel bugs, which later became codified into an instruction book by the devs. You needed to build or copy a wall full of weird poo poo and you had to know how to use them because they didn't act in any rational way.

Want a handrail for your deck? Make a microvoxel by smoothing a single voxel. Copy the voxel and place them in a row. If you place a microvoxel perpendicular to multiple microvoxels, it would create a flange between them. If you didn't want that flange, you had to place another microvoxel at the junction. Want some rods to connect that rail to the floor? Ok cool, just keep adding microvoxels until it touches the floor and whoops the floor got raised. Paste another voxel at the floor and it fixes itself. Oh wait, did you put that in the wrong spot? Ok just erase the microvoxel and what the gently caress the floor looks like poo poo again what the gently caress why isn't this floor smoothing out oh god it's leaving behind artifacts if I delete it god help

And at the end of the day, very few people managed to make anything that didn't look like a lumpy turd.

Oh yes, and the grind. Mining anything without a top tier (or second to top) pick is like digging a river with a small garden shovel. And now that beating up monsters is needed to get a special resource, you're looking at almost an hour just to get one special mining pick resource... just so you can craft the first tier of pick. It takes 8 for the top tier. Hope you have all day!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

bonds0097 posted:

What he described doesn't sound far from the Nemesis system in shadow of mordor so it's not that crazy to think it was achievable by one of the most well established mmo companies in the industry.

The last video I saw regarding EQNext a couple months ago, it isn't nearly as interesting. I suppose there's some parallel in regards to factions randomly bashing against eachother, npcs gathering resources and using it to rebuild poo poo over and over, but it still came off as horribly lifeless.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For what it's worth, the blueprint has been updated with a warning of an upcoming character/claim wipe about a month from now. New islands, new biomes, claim vendors (maybe), and monetization of claim flags. No details on the flags, but if they keep the current 5 or so claims free, that should be plenty for anyone not going for a scale model recreation of minas tirith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
A wipe has occurred, but it's not the transition to open beta wipe.

Good news: Some of the stupid grindy poo poo has been dropped. Certain common tier 1 blocks are infinite in quantity, like dirt, stone, ice, ect..

Bad news: Even with combat there's still nothing to do. The new islands are just as lovely as the last ones, but perhaps a little smaller and slightly easier to navigate. Flat land is an anathema to these guys and it makes picking a spot difficult without having to make some ugly terraform jobs. They also decided to give up on being able to dig all the way through the earth.

Feel free to keep ignoring this game.

• Locked thread