Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

nesbit37 posted:

There was a lot more hallway play when Gen Con was in Milwaukee. It was pretty difficult not to trip over someone sleeping or going through their loot or playing games along the walls and few sky tunnels there. Especially on the way to the old Mecca. More people just camping out in vans for the 4 days around downtown Milwaukee as well. I am sure we are not far from all of that at Indianapolis now with the current hotel situation.

Hopefully the shuttle service will keep getting better and maybe help with that issue. Still need to get badges for the wife and I but we will be there no matter what.

A really good restaurant that you guys will probably want to know about is Loughmiller's (Lock-millers). I ate there with goons 3 or 4 times last year just because the waits for the bigger name places and the food trucks was so bad.

It's right between the Westin and the JW Marriott with good food and beer selection. Since it's slightly off the beaten path and isn't the RAM the crowds tend to not be nearly as bad. I on multiple occasions walked, ordered, eaten, and left in the time it would take to just get a table at the RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

the_steve posted:

So, speaking of food, are there any good sushi places that anyone knows of?

The closest ones are the BUDA Lounge and Forty Five Degrees. Both are in the Mass Ave part of town, which is a 15-30 min walk (depending on how fast you walk) from the convention center. I personally have never eaten at them, but have heard positive things about them.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

I just responded to someone's thread about driving from California so I can only imagine that was you. Particularly since the person said (s)he had an offer of cheap/free housing already.

Time to investigate someone's suggestion of Taking The Train(tm)!

Well it would only be $158 to get from Vermont to Indianapolis, but it would also take two days. Certainly not useful information for me at all.

Hey, it would only be $188 to get from San Francisco to Indianapolis! And only take 2.5 days! The train. So fast.

Wow, in the time it took me to finish this post Hawaii_Lame-O actually decided to take that option. Awesome! Particularly since my wife for some reason thinks I should take the train there and fly back so apparently I might be doing that too :confused:

Oh, and I meant to comment about the celebrity stuff. I can definitely appreciate the convention not spending its money on big names and rather pumping it into, I dunno, infrastructure I guess. Certainly it is the best-run convention I have ever attended, for what that is worth. I do still wish there were more gaming celebrities there, though ... though this may be an issue of the type of gaming celebrities I am interested in. I realize people like Larry Elmore and the Dragonlance Duo are always there. I just want Lord British or Brian Fargo or some of my other CRPG heroes.

The only reason you want Brian Fargo there is so you can continue your unhealthy obsession with him and his work.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

Unrelated to anything, this is the best picture I can remember seeing of the crowd waiting the grand opening of the Exhibitor's Hall on Thursday morning:

Please, like you do not want to be
RIGHT THERE

Edit: Whoops, never quoted this message I had open on my other computer :haw:

These are all the things that simply must be discussed. Nothing against anything else you enjoyed, mind you.

I can summarize my bullet point responses easily: "WOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

I doubt I will be able to bring my kilt this year. Though I also cut my hair like a normal person so I will be cosplaying as "guy with real job."

I have never heard of this GroupMe thing before but I actually have an Intelligent Telephone-Machine this year so I am intrigued.

RIP in peace Quarex's hair. :angel:

The GroupMe set up last year was fantastic. Made it really easy to find people and set stuff up without having to load up SA on the glacial internet.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

8one6 posted:

It was either last year or the year before that they started opening will-call all Wednesday night, mostly because there are still people in the 2011 will-call line.

*slowclap

Well played sir.

I still remember walking past that line and feeling so sorry for all those poor bastards. I am sure at least one child was brought into this world in that line.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

For those of us that are new to GenCon, what gaming supplies do you veterans suggest we bring? Especially if we've got a bunch of free time for random gaming with cool con people.

Is it worth it to bring games with me or is the open gaming library robust enough to handle most gaming needs?

Make sure you are wearing comfortable walking shoes. You are going to be spending a lot of time on your feet and wearing lovely shoes is a recipe for pain later.

Somewhat healthy snacks that can fit in your bag like fruit, granola bars, trail mix, etc are always a good idea. The food in the convention center isn't awful, but it is expensive and the closest restaurants and food trucks can have some pretty crazy lines at times. Being able to have something to tide you over while you either wait for the line to die down or to walk to something that is a bit farther away will make your life easier.

Keep an eye out for the Group Me group we will set up. A bunch of us used it last year to meet up, get food together, or set up games on the fly without having to try and load the forums.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

No worries there. I have my Official GenCon Messenger Bag to hold all my gaming supplies.

How electronics friendly is GenCon? If someone wanted to bring a laptop or tablet with them, are they taking their lives in their own hands with the roving bands of bag jackers? Are there power outlets that people can just use, and are they frequent enough that each one doesn't have a stink of grognards in residence?

I'm going to keep asking dumb questions until the thread picks up. :colbert:

There are outlets around so getting power isn't normally an issue. Getting access to the internet can be a bitch do to poor reception so if you are planning on using your laptop to carry all your gaming books save them to your hard drive.

Theft, while not rampant, is something that happens. As long as you aer keeping an eye on your stuff, leaving your bag fully zipped up/latched, and keeping the straps around your legs you should be fine. Most of the stuff that gets taken is people not paying attention to their stuff, someone grabbing it, and disappearing into the crowd.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Texts and emails are never really an issue. I have always had issues with mobile web and sometimes making calls. Normally just stepping outside has been enough to alleviate the issues.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Since we are less than a month away it's time for my standard post of I am an Indianapolis local. If any of you guys are getting here early or need a ride on Wednesday let me know and I will see what I can do. Also if you are wanting idea of places to eat while dodging the bulk of the con goers or just wanting to try some local favorites feel free to ask.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
This is always an option if enough people are interested. http://www.handlebarindy.com/

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Deathlove posted:

USPS lost my passes. :gonk:

At least you have time to get them replaced. Let the Gen Con people know and they should be able to get you sorted.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

8one6 posted:

Seconding this. Will Call should be open pretty late Wednesday (I think it's open all night again this year) Don't wait for Thursday!

The booth opens Wednesday and is open 24 hours again this year. And yes get your badges Wednesday or be prepared to spend you entire Thursday standing in a giant gently caress off line.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Crackbone posted:

So anybody got a few they want to sell? gently caress waiting in line on Thurs.

Of course I can just run the dealer hall and get wasted/play in the hotel lobby.

Getting generics will take hardly any time as long as you are not trying to do it midday Thursday.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

Even though I know it likely discourages people from coming if they cannot do so, the full Gen-Con experience really requires getting a close hotel. I mean, my first two years we had a 30-45 minute commute to and from the convention--and while I still had amazing times both years, there is no denying the benefit of easy access to a room for dumping your new purchases and starting fresh. Or napping after the exhibit hall closes. Or just knowing that you can stumble out of a bar wasted at 2 A.M. and not have to worry about how you are getting home. Well, unless you manage to fall into an open sewer grate.

I 100% agree with this. While we commute in most years one year we got a hotel room at the JW with some friends and found it really enhanced the experience. If the finances allowed it we would get a room every year even though we live less than 20 min away.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
See all these travel horror stories are things I will never get to experience. I kind of feel left out.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
What's better than going to Gen Con? Going to Gen Con and not having to pay for your own badge :c00lbert:.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

That is right, brah :c00l: This will be my second year of a complementary badge for being an Auctioneer. And yet I am still doing it wrong by tagging onto my friend's V.I.G. badge and paying $40 anyway :smug: but oh, how much free hot chocolate I drink.

Once I am done with school my wife and I will probably try to do the VIG at least once. Hell will probably save it for the 10 year wedding anniversary.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

camoseven posted:

I would like some more information about places to eat and drink in Indianapolis, please. Well, aren't you a needy little poo poo! Luckily for you I made a list of places I like (and some I avoid) in the downtown Indy area! CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THIS UGLY LIST THAT I SPENT WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON! I was going to make a map, too, but :effort:. I also killed two birds with one stone and threw some things in there for my family, so just ignore any references to my mom's place or whatever.

You forgot my favorite Gen Con place to eat Thursday-Saturday Loughmiller's. I had lunch/dinner with several goons last year and they can attest that it's solid food and beer without having to walk real far and without having to wait forever like most of the big name places.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

camoseven posted:

I was wondering how long it would take you to point this out :lol: I have never been there and as a non-meat-eater the food does not appeal to me, but other goons should go and eat there and get drunk and puke in the bathroom wait what is going on

I am a tad bit predictable aren't I...

But seriously that list is really good and I recomend you guys try them out. We are really pretty spoiled in Indianapolis when it comes to god beer. Then you have the added bonus of being far enough away from that there will be a much shorter wait AND you get better beer then you will get at the RAM.

OmegaGoo posted:

I kinda fell into some GenCon tickets, so I'll be there.

I am interested in meeting some "familiar" faces, but this will be my first time at GenCon, so I'll be a bit "deer in headlights" all week.

So... aside from the useful OP, anyone have any pointers?

* Try and spend a good part of a day just checking out the dealer room. If you can do this on Thursday it's even better since it's the slowest day. There will be all sorts of things the look at and demo and it's very easy to just spend a whole day in there.

* Look through the events list online, search up games that you enjoy playing, and see if anything jumps out at you. This can be everything from tournaments to super sized games, etc.

* Make sure you take time to get some sleep/eat/drink/shower. Doing these things will make your experiance a better one.

* The GroupMe app is a really good way to keep in touch with us and find open spots to check out some games or to just grab food with people, because eating alone sucks.

Backno fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 31, 2014

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
The downside of getting Wyrd to buy my badge, I have to do food and drinks with the Wednesday :unsmith:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
Holy poo poo Quarex, your loving phone number...I am not sure if I should be impressed or what.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

If anyone is curious "how nerdy is nerdy" regarding the Nerdy Trivia at Colts Grille on Wednesday (August 13, my birthday, hay guyz), well, what I remember from last year is that the reason my group won (my group was Nesbit37 and my non-Goon buddy Rich ... versus a table of a dozen other Goons :smug:) was because I instantly knew the Skyrim expansion that focused on owning your own house was Hearthfire, and the other Goon table apparently could not recall such an unimportant piece of information at the crucial moment.

Yeah but your table didn't have such an amazing name that Mayfair decided to buy you a round beers :smugbert:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Sigma-X posted:

What was the name?

I left work stoked to be gone for a week, said my goodbyes to folks and had packaged everything up for people to take care of next week, set my outlook out of office messages, etc.

Then had to drive back because I realized my badge was still stuck to my cube wall :)

Flying out to the midwest tomorrow to see friends and so fuckin' stoked to GenCon it up!

"I get why they are dressed like douchebags, but why do they call steampunk?"

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Pez posted:

So when/where is the auction?

It runs starting on Thursday and goes for most of the day each day until T.O.V.A on Saturday if I am not mistaken.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Trynant posted:

A picture of my GenCon haul wouldn't be able to capture the stolen bag of $190 worth of not-available-in-stores games.

:negative:

Meeting the goons was a pleasure though!

EDIT: Also this trip was one of the most "story"-ridden vacations I've ever had. I got back from a 15 hour drive today; after I have some energy there will be a recap.

Make sure you post on the Gen Con forums and on Reddit. It's a longshot but you never know.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
My haul is mostly Malifaux stuff ($75 in booth credit helps), but I did pick up a couple of things.

Brother Bastian and Ozrik expansions for Red Dragon Inn
pre-ordered Chaosmos (thanks for pointing it out Mike)
Couple of the AEG games in the bags (not Love Letter)

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Double Agent posted:

My haul isn't worth talking a picture:

Pathfinder - Advanced Class Guide, Inner Sea Bestiary, & Undead Slayer's Handbook
Atomic Robo RPG & a set of Fate dice
Gencon dice set
Trains (won at the Colts Grille trivia night)
Dice for future Fiasco games

I will say that without goons, this would have only been a fair to middling Gencon. However, because of the trivia night, the beer tour, a few games of Avalon, a great game of Fiasco, and a game of Dungeon World it was amazing.

Also, I think I managed to coin a phrase that was easily the worst thing said during the beer tour, and arguably the worst thing said the entire con: waifu pillow swap.

Let that one roll around your head for a bit and then shudder visibly. :barf:

Yeah you can go to hell and die for that phrase. I was trying to eat my meat curtain and that phrase made it difficult.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Quarex posted:

"Hey boss, I need to take a break and everyone else is out sick, can you come help?"
"YOU ARE FIRED!"

Also I hear basically only bad things about True Dungeon. Though that is the case for the last like 4 years. I am sure it was amazing back before it became an efficient nerd-extorting machine though. GARY loving GYGAX loved it after all :(

When they were charging like $25 per person that seemed like a good cost. I never really had enough people that were available and interested in doing it so I never did it. Now that they keep tacking $5 onto the price every year it's just far too much money for only 2 hours of something that would be mildly interesting.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Trynant posted:

Friday
  • call bank first thing, one dead-easy phone call later and everything's cleared up. Where the gently caress was that convenience Thursday?
  • went to con much later because gently caress lack of sleep for three nights in a row especially for how shellshock Thursday was. Somehow found parking eventually
  • Great Zimbabwe with goons!
  • went to Tomlinson Tap Pub for the SU&SD game evening thing. Great turnout and play space was great. Said hi to SUSD crew real quick (so many people kind of dickish of me to try to hog time with them a second go around), talked with goons and drank good beer.

Those "goons" you drank with were me and my wife who is not a goon. Glad the second half of your trip went better than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

WhiteHowler posted:

An attractive booth goes a very long way.

Just to add to this, I worked for the Wyrd booth this year. This was their 6th year doing Gen Con but their first going all out with the decorations, fence, statue, etc. The number of people who stopped to ask me if they were a new company was staggering. I know not everyone is into miniatures, but still this is a company that has been there for years with a large booth with a giant rotating banner above it and still had people not notice them in the past.

So if you are going to go to Gen Con and set up a booth take the extra time, effort, and money to do it right. You will actually stand out from row after row a couple of people behind a table selling some random game.

• Locked thread