Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

SirFozzie posted:

Always say a prayer for the servers on Event Reg day..

(eyes clock.. punches the submit event wishlist for processing button at 12:00:00)

*You are #2552 in line for processing*

Me: (crosses fingers, toes and eyes)
Welp. I was #2240 and all of the True Dungeon slots (for 10 players) filled up ahead of me.

I wish they'd prioritize people trying to buy out a slot ahead of people trying to get just one or two tickets. Most of the timeslots that work for my group only have a couple of people registered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I really wanted to Learn Ogre with Steve Jackson Games. :negative:

Edit: Got 8 tickets for one of the first True Dungeon adventure. For some reason, the second adventure sold out way more quickly.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Countblanc posted:

This is why I go to GenCon without planning anything, so I can be pleasantly surprised when something cool is available! Jokes on you, fuckers, now you have nothing better to do than play board games on the floor with me again this year!
I definitely don't over-plan, but we had a large group that wants to play True Dungeon together. There are also a couple of shows we want to see (Sit Down and Shut Up is doing a live podcast, and our friend Professor Shyguy is doing a concert on Saturday).

Otherwise I'd rather meet up with goons and play boardgames or Dungeon World or something.

I avoided the pick-up-and-play library room last year because it was so terrible the year before. Is there another good spot for playing random boardgames?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
For anyone who missed out on True Dungeon pre-reg, don't worry. As the con approaches, people will cancel and you'll be able to snap up tickets.

You can also grab a bunch of generics and hang out on "standby" near the room. They always get a bunch of no-shows and will call in people from the hall.

I ended up getting 8 tickets for each of the two different puzzle-oriented events. The trick is to hover over the event listing two hours after registration opens -- shopping carts auto-clear after two hours, so suddenly the schedule is flooded with newly-free tickets.

I'm pretty booked Friday and Saturday afternoon, but my wife and I would be down for some Dungeon World or boardgames at other times. I assume we'll set up a goon chat like last year?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So trying to track down the others of my group as this is our first time going and we missed the boat on the event registration. Do we miss out on not pre-registering for events and just buying a load of tickets?
Sort of.

There are some events that you're not going to easily be able to get into now. Cancellations will happen up until (and during) GenCon weekend, so you can probably wrangle your way into something interesting if you keep an eye on the events page.

If you've never been before, I'd recommend doing True Dungeon at least once. Some people feel it's overpriced/overrated, but I had a blast doing it, and it's even better with a group of friends. There are still some slots with 1-2 tickets free, and more will free up.

There are still tickets for several of the shows. D20 Burlesque can be pretty funny, and... well... boobies. The film festival is always very hit-and-miss, but occasionally you'll find something awesome.

I'll also pimp one more time for Professor Shyguy. He does chiptune pop music, which I know isn't everyone's thing, but he puts on a great show and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. The concert is $6, and you were going to spend that on a lovely, overpriced beer anyway.

Failing any of that, there are a lot of walk-up events like RPG's On Demand, the Battletech simulators, and the playtest room. You can also stay connected with goons for instant social opportunities. Last year there were several goon-organized RPG's, boardgames, and even a couple of bar crawls.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

ritorix posted:

A bunch of new events are now available for ticketing, including mine!

Dungeon World, if you played with me last year you already did this:
https://gencon.com/events/65622
https://gencon.com/events/65623
Signed up for your Thursday night slot.

Hopefully newbie players are okay -- I've run a few Dungeon World games, but my wife has only ever played a few RPG sessions. She loved what she's played of DW though.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

saint gerald posted:

Quarex, how we can hire this mystical chickencarriage for goondrinking?
Chicken Limo is for scrubs.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Does GroupMe still limit groups to 50 people? I hope we don't outgrow it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Crackbone posted:

So, I missed all the event reg poo poo, and I have no tickets, not even generics. Are generics usable by anybody or are they tagged to a specific person?
I think they're technically assigned to you, but I've never had anybody look at them to check.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Backno posted:

What's better than going to Gen Con? Going to Gen Con and not having to pay for your own badge :c00lbert:.
I get a press badge every year. The down side is that I can't pick it up until Thursday morning and then have to brave the lines to get my event tickets.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DNA Cowboys posted:

Is there a list anywhere of press-exclusive events, or do you just need to know the right people? I haven't had a press badge for a few years, but I'm hoping to up my game this time around.
There aren't any Gencon-organized press-only events, aside from early access to the vendor hall on Thursday.

We do tend to get priority on game demos and access to game designers, but that's all through relationships we've built outside of Gencon.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

nesbit37 posted:

Can't you pick it up on Wednesday? I ask because I know I have seen press badges at Trade Day before because they have been in my events and asked questions for blogs and such afterwards.
According to the press packet, they have to be picked up Thursday morning at the press room. The standard press badge doesn't get you trade day access, unless they've changed something since 2012.

I can double check, but there's only one person coordinating what I assume is several hundred press outlets, so getting questions answered is sometimes difficult.

It doesn't matter that much. Aside from a few interviews and demos, I'm mainly there to experience the event as an attendee, and then write about it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I always bring Space Alert to Gencon.

I hate teaching the game (as I've done it about a million times now) and usually look for experienced players, but the esteemed Professor Shyguy has asked me to teach it to him, so if anyone has been wanting to learn (and with an Internet pseudo-celebrity, no less), please shoot me a PM.

It will probably be Friday morning or Saturday morning/early afternoon.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Len posted:

Anyone know if there's any scuttlebutt about Shadowrun Crossfire being on sale there? I want to get my hands on it if it exists but don't feel like waiting in a line for no real reason.
It will be on sale at the Catalyst booth, but they don't anticipate having enough copies to meet demand. Get there early, I guess.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rockker posted:

Nice, didn't see that there was a goon thread until now. First time going to GenCon for me so no idea what to expect (expect long lines, maybe?)
Nope! This isn't DragonCon or ComicCon, where there are hugely popular guests that you have to wait in hours-long lines to (maybe) see.

Since event tickets at Gen Con are sold in advance, you'll pretty much know what you're getting into and won't have to wait in lines. Of course, a lot of things are sold out now, but there's plenty to do. Many events still have tickets available, and I know a lot of people who attend and never actually register for anything, but they still have a great time.

The only really bad lines are registration/will-call on Thursday and Friday mornings, and the line to get into the Vendor Hall each morning (especially Thursday). Those can both be avoid unless you absolutely, positively have to get into the vendor hall early to buy something.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Some of the stuff on that list will only be at GenCon in demo form and won't be available for sale for quite a bit later (for example, the Star Wars Armada game, which isn't coming out until 2015).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Quarex posted:

Eeeeeeeeeeee

Now who took that picture of our table at Colts Grille to post how disappointingly normal we look overall?
My wife took it. Probably won't be able to post it easily until Sunday night.

I had fun meeting a bunch of goons tonight. Hopefully we'll get some games in this weekend.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My Gen Con haul:

I'm cheating a little. Hyperborea is a review copy that one of my writers handed off to me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

inferis posted:

have you played kemble's cascade yet? I'm planning to buy it no matter what because of the art but i have heard it was pretty bad.
I'm not Countblanc, but I demoed Kemble's Cascade with the designers and thought it was pretty fun. You fly around and shoot stuff (and the other players), upgrade your ship, and eventually fight a giant boss.

It captures the feel of an 8-bit space shooter pretty well (think Gradius, R-Type, etc.).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Best moment:

Learning Five Tribes from Bruno Cathala.

It's an amazing game, and Bruno is one of my favorite designers. I wouldn't be surprised if this is a Kennerspiel nominee next year. Apparently I was also playing with some internet celebrities from Dice Tower (Zee and some other guy?), but I had no idea who they were.

Honorable mentions: Playing Dungeon World with some goons, hanging out at Colts Grille with goons, and seeing the Professor Shyguy and D20 Burlesque shows (not with goons!).

Worst moment:

True Dungeon Adventures.

It was a blast last year, and one of the main reasons I decided to return to Gen Con. This year suffered from poor puzzle design, severe technical problems, and on one occasion, a complete dickhead of a GM who basically forced us to fail a puzzle that we had figured out. They also seemed to scale way back on the production -- while the airship rooms were really neat, there weren't any animatronics, and some of the rooms just felt like a big square of black cloth with some cheap foam rocks thrown into it. Into the Viper's Pit was especially lovely.

Considering this thing is almost $50 a pop for two hours, my entire group felt pretty ripped off (there were eight of us, and we did both adventures -- that's nearly $800!). I definitely won't bother again in the future.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

TheHoosier posted:

At this point we should just find cons to go to. I had a blast.
More cons would be awesome.

I'm one of the directors for Play On Con down here in Birmingham, Alabama each summer.

We hold it at a combination convention center/summer camp, so we get all the normal hotel rooms and meeting spaces, but we can also do a bunch of outdoor events like archery, canoeing, etc. It's family-friendly during the day, and then at night there's plenty of rampant drunkenness.

I'd love to see some goons show up next year. As long as they don't try to re-enact GoonCamp.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I agree with you on DragonCon. It seems like they haven't adapted at all to the growth they've experienced since the early 90's. The space is inadequate, the customer service is poor, and the badge pickup system is an abomination. I remember waiting in line for three hours for my (pre-paid, pre-registered) badge, which they lost. I then got to stand in another line for over an hour. At GenCon? I hit Will Call on Wednesday evening, and despite the line stretching all the way down to Exhibit Hall B, the wait was about 25 minutes.

Also, the way DragonCon handles panels and events is awful ("stand in line for four hours, and MAYBE you'll get in to see the cast of Eureka"). As annoying as it is to brave the giant advance ticket rush of GenCon, at least I know before I arrive that I have a reserved seat at everything on my schedule.

Unless they've changed any of that in the past few years. I was so soured by my DC experience that I swore I'd never go back.

Lawen posted:

There's also the Atlanta GameFest in October which I've heard good things about and am going to try this year, if any of you show up for it I'll buy you a beer.
I've been going to the Atlanta GameFest events for five or six years now, and I always have a great time.

Be warned though: These are strictly "open gaming" events. There are no tournaments, no shows, no parties, no activities outside of boardgaming. It's literally a giant ballroom full of people and tables, with hundreds of games available to play. That said, I find it to be the best opportunity to actually play games (as opposed to GenCon-style "quickly demo and buy games") and meet a ton of awesome people.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Here's my Gen Con 2014 Photo Gallery.

It's mostly photos I grabbed while doing press stuff in the vendor hall, but I got a few interesting ones of other activities (including a very blurry photo of the Colts Grille meetup).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

DNA Cowboys posted:

My experiences as a vendor make me curious. When you're walking past a booth for a game you haven't heard of, what draws you cautiously in and what tells you to keep on walking?
An attractive booth goes a very long way.

Take this year as an example. Did anyone else walk through the "Entrepreneur's Alley"? Did you notice how most of the booths were basically a table or two with a stack of books or boxes? No matter how good their product might be, why on earth would anyone stop to investigate? Hell, I was there as press and it was my job to see as many new products as possible, and even I passed most of these by.

Now, did you happen to walk around the "back" side of the hall where the Incredible Expeditions booth was? Here, I'll refresh your memory:

These folks were self-publishing their very first game, and they were also part of Entrepreneur's Alley. They also busted their asses to make their booth attractive, with a ton of set-pieces and costumes. Despite the fact that virtually all of the copies of their game got held up in customs and they had literally nothing to sell but pre-orders, their booth was packed most of the weekend, and they were visited by several big press outlets.

Obviously you need a good product to make the sale, but when you're competing with hundreds of other publishers, having an interesting-looking space is the best way to draw people in.

• Locked thread