Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Tenth Edition! Return of Incinerate with awesome art!

Favorite cards:

Gelectrode because I love UR.

Mutilate/Damnation because I loved my casual mono-black control deck and I love black sweepers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Man, I remember how long it took for Jitte to catch on. I read that thing in the spoiler and thought "that card is INSANE." I got my playset at the prerelease for less than $20 overall, because apparently no one had read it.

Once I started playing with it, everyone I played against agreed that the card was completely bonkers.

I got called out for running 4. My response was "sure, it's legendary. I also want it every single game because it wins games."

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Finally played Rakdos Aggro in Standard tonight; for some reason, there were only six players.

Round 1 I played an even faster mono red aggro deck. 0-2.

Round 2 I DEMOLISHED a RWU control deck. Doom Blading an AEtherling and actually killing it is an awesome feeling. Also, my opponent had to read almost everything and that was fantastic.

Round 3 I played mono green ramp. Game 1, turn four Mogis's Marauder ended the game. Game 2, he played a lot of big monsters, but I managed to keep playing guys and spells and eventually pulled it out.

I'm in love with the deck. I will be playing it even more in the coming weeks.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Seattle Magic goons: is there any place nearby I could play Standard on a night that's not Friday?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lynnwood's not too far. Thanks guys.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

God the new hypnotic specter art is so lovely

Look at this wrong opinion.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

D&T guy played two lands that same turn. Cheats all around!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Since I'm not a D&D player and I prefer to keep track of life on paper, I don't own any d20s.

I don't object to using a d20 to roll, but I have d6s available for counters and other things, so I default to those.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Balon posted:

I was at an FNM last night (TNM?) and Rakdos Aggro folds HARD to RG Monsters, Mono U with a Frostburn out, and Mono Black. Poor guy got matched up against each one in all 4 rounds and just suffered all night long. The only game he won was against Mono U when they didn't find a Frostburn.

Really? I piloted Rakdos Aggro last week, got matched up against mono green Monsters and I just dismantled it. Despite multiple Caryatids, Arbor Colossi and Kalonian Hydras, I was still able to push enough damage through.

Frostburn could be a problem, but Doom Blade and Lightning Strike can deal with it pretty easily.

Monoblack is probably the biggest hurdle, because Mogis's Marauder gets turned off.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I don't own any Thoughtseizes, but that sounds pretty accurate.

My opponent actually did drop Polukranos on turn 3. I already had a Cackler and two Spike Jesters, so I untapped, played Mogis's Marauder and killed him.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bhsman posted:

Bridge from Below getting better art and a cheaper price was awesome.

The art on a card that will always be in your graveyard is pretty irrelevant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Veyrall posted:

Wait, aren't there several large online retailers that regularly corner the market on cards and artificially drive the price point up? I can't remember exactly which one was accused of doing that, but it's apparently happened more than a couple of times. Is there any way to know exactly how much of an effect that is having on Modern and Legacy prices?

I think it's been documented that Star City bought the vast majority of Legacy staples a few years ago and then set the price at what they wanted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Dungeon Ecology posted:

When this card is drafted, reverse the direction in which the booster packs are being passed.

Why would you even suggest this?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

bhsman posted:

As an aside, remember this tip: when you Slaughter Games someone, politely ask to see their hand and snap a photo of it with your smart phone (if you have one). No-fuss checkup on what was in their hand at any time.

Do not do this. Just write the cards down.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Why is Blackcleave Cliffs $6+?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I know everyone else goes completely apeshit for Unhinged lands, but I find that I vastly prefer the art and the aesthetic of the Unglued lands. I'll admit, the Unhinged Island is very nice, but on the whole, I love the frame and the art from Unglued more.

By far my favorite normal Island art.

Though, the Snow-Covered Island is also really really cool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That P2 Island is pretty cool, I've never seen it before.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Typhus733 posted:

On the subject of vanity/aesthetics in cards I'm also a firm believer in cards you've owned over cards you've bought. They may be over-represented but I love my singular unhinged mountain because it is quite literally the singular mountain I opened out of the single pack of unhinged pack I opened back in the day and buying more almost feels like it'd sully or devalue the one I have aesthetically.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm having trouble seeing the difference. Didn't you buy the pack that contained that Unhinged Mountain?

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not comprehending why "owning" is different from "buying," since you basically have to buy in order to own. Right?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I might own a handful of cards I got in a draft a while back, but the vast majority of my collection - including my basics - have been acquired through purchasing, donation or draft-remains scavenging.

I guess I don't own any Magic cards. :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jassi007 posted:

Richard Garfield believed people would buy a starter and about about $20 of boosters and thats how everyone would play magic more or less, as a one time $30 investment and maybe con them into buying a few boosters of an expansion later. So I'm pretty sure he is someone who hews pretty hard to that vision. You play with the cards you crack open and make the best decks you can within your playgroup.

And that's fine as a vision of an untested game back in 1993. You know, before the internet. 20 years later, Magic is a completely different animal. Kitchen table players obviously still exist and in much bigger quantities than any of us can fathom and those players probably do exactly what Garfield intended.

If that's what Typhus meant, the idea that someone else's collection is somehow purer and superior to mine because it's not sullied by multiple copies of the same card that I bought at a shop...that's just a bizarre concept to me.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

If you think the new border is better than the old border you are not only wrong, but also blind. Next people will be saying artifacts should have a silver frame instead of a brown one and that that newfangled tap symbol is actually better than spelling out the words.

Guess what? All of these things are true.

Livingtrope posted:

The old borders are bad, Jace is cool, and anarchy reigns

On the other hand, :frogout:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

JerryLee posted:

I started playing around 1999 but I was already like 16 years old and had progressive parents so it was cool :cool:

I started in 98 when I was about 12. My mom was really progressive and didn't care about it until I got addicted.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Planar Chaos and Future Sight shifted cards look infinitely better than either the pre- or post-8th edition cards.

Compare Damnation to any version of Wrath of God.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PrinnySquadron posted:

Also, the old gold frames were horrible. Absolutely terrible.

You I like.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Future sight borders are pretty awesome, but would probably be tiresome if they were more common. Colorshifted looks like trash. Damnation looks awesome because the art works so well. Stick the MPR Ron Spencer art on it and you'd be singing a different story: http://magiccards.info/mprp/en/24.html

If you're saying that Kev Walker's Damnation art is better than Ron Spencer's I will absolutely agree with you. Kev Walker is one of my favorite Magic artists.

I really hate Ron Spencer's Damnation and dislike his style.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

jhorphear posted:

I played back during ravnica block, and then it was pricey as a $2-$4 uncommon, I had piles of them. Wish I didn't sell my cards :-(

In Ravnica Standard, Remand topped $7.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ungulateman posted:

So I'm getting back on the cardboard crack train after three years (stopped playing around when the Alara block started) and I have a few questions.

1) Why is every Magic block not set in Ravnica, the Best Plane. :colbert:

Because WotC can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. RtR was...well, not Ravnica.

quote:

2) Are we ever going to see four-set blocks like Lorwyn / Shadowmoor again? I loved those blocks and I feel like the four-block format works really well for spreading out the Standard format (also, Kithkin were the best white weenies).

Anything's possible. WotC definitely enjoys changing the block structure.

quote:

3) Are mill decks viable in Standard or Modern? I was finagling around with Tome Scour, Archaeomancer and Chronic Flooding after getting some M14/RtR cards but I'd like to know if you can make it work when you're in an actual format.

Viable? Probably not. Possible? Sure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Attorney at Funk posted:

STANDARD SEASON FIRE

This took me way too long. Well played.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

But if I go "Therapy you," they say "naming?" and I assume that's them passing priority, who gets penalized if they didn't know they were passing priority? I feel like a judge would side with me, but my opponent would probably get real mad at me pulling a "rules lawyer" trick.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

At Competitive REL, them asking you to name choices made upon resolution is acknowledging that the spell resolves. At Regular REL you're probably not playing with Cabal Therapy.

Fine, Slaughter Games. Exact same circumstances and a card you might see at FNM.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Saeku posted:

At FNM as a judge I'm not going to dick people around about being super clear when they're passing priority. FNM isn't about tight competitive play. That said, at FNM it's still perfectly OK to be all like "Slaughter Games naming Searing Blood" and your opponent is all "Searing Blood in response" and you're all like "Whelp then I change my mind" because that's how the card works, you don't need to commit until it's resolving.

But is it okay to say "no, you can't cast it at all because the spell is already resolving and you missed your window?"

Or is that when you start being a dick?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Better idea is to cast it properly and not name a card until the spell resolves? I don't think it's that difficult....

Sorry, I'm not being clear. This is the hypothetical I'm thinking about :

Me: Slaughter Games?
Opp: Naming?
Me: [card name]
Opp: Cast [card name] in response.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ungulateman posted:

How does Angelic Accord work, then? Do you just abuse populate? Can you trigger it more than once per turn? (Not Sweaty Anime Sleeves Guy, just someone who also runs G/W and wants to use Accord.)

At the end of each turn, Accord checks to see if you've gained 4+ life. If you have, you get a token. It's that simple.

Ways to get 4 life include Trading Post and Bubbling Cauldron. Cauldron can also give your tokens vigilance, of a sort.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm tempted to accept the :toxx: but it would depend on what the exact terms are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Entropic posted:

People always vaguely remember that Maro said players hate downsides so therefore somehow they're never going to reprint anything with a downside. Which ignores that a) all he actually said is that all-downside mechanics like Echo score poorly and b) they still print cards with downsides constantly.

This depresses me a bit, because Echo is one of those quietly awesome keywords that hasn't shown up that much. I guess I understand players not liking paying for a card twice, but it lets them print "undercosted" cards in a way that doesn't actually break the game.

Not to mention Echo has the great side effect of giving you an easy way to get a creature into your graveyard.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elyv posted:

Since he doesn't prevent damage, if he's blocked does he lose loyalty?

It specifically says that he doesn't lose loyalty while he's not a planeswalker.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Those are really pretty and I kind of like the flavor text.

I do feel like they missed a trick in not making them a wrapping panorama.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You mean this boring rare with a black expansion symbol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Skillface posted:

Hey guys, I'm going to my first PTQ in Ottawa in a few weeks. It'll be the first competitive event I've ever been to, as I mostly play online.

Anything super important advice? It's a sealed event and sleeves, a deck box, and pad/pen is provided but I'm not sure of what else to bring.

Keep track of life totals with pen and paper and make sure that everything is super transparent. Check and double check that you and your opponent have the same numbers every time one of you takes damage or gains life.

Is the PTQ limited or constructed?

• Locked thread