Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Lightning Bolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't even know what to name the next thread, we're all out of editions! "Magic: The Gathering: The Megathread: Magic 2011 Edition" sounds weird in 2014, doesn't it? And we can't use the naming scheme of the following year (like naming this one Magic 2015 edition) because there needs to be more than one thread per year.

Expansions.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bread Set Jettison posted:

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

It turns out t5 Ulamog is basically the best thing in EDH.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

redstormpopcorn posted:

MTG Familiar owns because it's developed by a guy who loves Magic and doesn't want to dick over other players.

MtG Guide is the best iOS app because it's 3 dollars one time and a good app and it updates constantly.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

Woah, I never realized she did Force of Will.

Modeled on herself, if I remember correctly. Those are her abs. Crazy abs.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Kabanaw posted:

If you're interested in the psychographics, here's Maro's articles on them:

Timmy, Johnny, and Spike: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b
Timmy, Johnny, and Spike revisited: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr220b
Melvin and Vorthos: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr278

Also check out Maro's podcast, he has a psychographics episode where he gets into it a bit more.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Shut up about commanders, I just hit 10 complete EDH decks and I'm trying to stop. Don't make me want Xenagod, don't do it.

edit: For the record, my current tally is:

Krenko
Talrand
Mirko Vosk
Sliver Overlord
Mimeoplasm
Melek
Varolz
Prossh precon
Marath precon
And of course, my baby, Omnath

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 11, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

10? I thought I was bad trying make #s 3 and 4, neither of which I will probably play-
Crosis
Captain Sisay
Oros (WIP)
Budgety Momir (WIP, maybe becoming mono-green with Yeva?)

We get bonuses in store credit and for a long time, whenever I ran out of things to buy, I just started a new deck. I think I built Mimeo the day a bunch of stuff would expire just so it didn't go to waste. Like, I bought the entire deck in two hours.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Triple small set draft is a bad idea, why do people insist on doing it? There's a reason the draft format is BTT.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Korak posted:

It's just my philosophy of what WotC should be doing with every set is pushing Standard/Modern, and this set doesn't look like it will be allowed in any other format?

Plenty of people play Magic who never play Standard or Modern, so this is hella dumb. It's not replacing a regular expansion set, it's the summer multiplayer supplement.

Stinky Pit posted:

My point was that you can be perfectly friendly and polite when playing the game with the goal of not being invited back. You've got zero clue if steve was rude, or friendly, an rear end in a top hat, or polite. Just because his goal is to get people to stop nagging him to play a miserable format doesn't immediately mean he behaved like a 1980's movie bully.

Deliberately setting out to make other people miserable makes you a colossal chode.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 13, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

The point that they're both making in the first place is that, having expressed that they don't want to play commander, this is exactly what the other party is doing to them in the first place :shrug:

No, that's not it. They're not being invited to play Commander out of spite. The adult thing to do is to keep saying no politely, not be a giant baby and go FINE I'LL PLAY YOUR GAME and then ruin it so that nobody enjoys anything just so you can go SEE I TOLD YOU I DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY JERKS.

I can't believe someone just called "being invited to play a game" the same thing as "deliberately ruining someone's game".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

Conspiracy sounds like a great set to include true name nemesis if you missed out on the commander rush. I wouldn't mind seeing FOW or wasteland at uncommon (just like their original printing) either.

You're literally insane if you think this is going to happen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

They are both appreciated cards in multiplayer and are uncommon.

They're also cards that are worth a bunch of money and are at a power level that isn't equal to modern uncommon cards. You're nuts if you think they're going to reprint 70 dollar legacy staples at uncommon just because that was the original rarity in loving Alliances.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Boxman posted:

TNN in every multiplayer set forever would be pretty funny though.

I was talking more about the Force/Wasteland reprints at uncommon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

I could see that too but I think they belong at uncommon.

There's no way in hell Force belongs at uncommon. I can't even fathom why you think this is a reasonable thing. Pay 1 life and exile a blue card from your hand to cast it for free is not an uncommon thing. Uncommon in 1996, when they still didn't really know what they were doing, is not the same thing as uncommon in 2014.

edit Also Serra Angel is back to uncommon and has been for a few years now.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 13, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

And yes I know Serra is back to uncommon where she belongs. Just like FOW and wasteland and strip mine for that matter.

Why do you think Force would belong at uncommon if it was reprinted tomorrow, besides that was its original rarity (because original rarity means gently caress all, especially when talking about cards from 1996)?

Forget about it being just straight up too good to be an uncommon in 2014, it would absolutely floor the price and WotC doesn't want to do that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Count Bleck posted:

Putting back cogwork to take cogwork and FOIL cogwork :aaaaa:

I put back all the Cogworks and take everything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TUrns out this is actually not one of the criteria that goes into determining rarity, please try again.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

Ah yes. I forgot they print counter spell and cancel at rare.

Neither of those cards can be played without paying their mana cost by exiling a blue card from your hand and paying one life.

Seriously, the "play without paying the mana cost" part is a huge loving deal that you're conveniently ignoring because you want it to be easily available.

You seriously don't get how rarity works. Rosewater's written about it once or twice and he has a whole podcast devoted to it. You should read/listen to him, it's pretty interesting and educational.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 13, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

"it'd be justifiable to reprint it at either uncommon

Nobody has justified this besides saying that "it's needed".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

I tend to think that reprinting something at its former rarity is the default and doesn't have any sort of burden of proof attached to it.

On the other hand, it's way too good for an uncommon and the default ruling would be scoffed at.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And thus the argument for Force at uncommon: gently caress single prices!

Which is not a valid argument because it's still way too good to be an uncommon and would warp whatever format it was in, whether it was a summer multiplayer set (gently caress no) or a Modern legal set or whatever. And because cratering prices is a thing WotC tries not to do because they really hate that they had to make a reserved list to start with.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Death Bot posted:

I'm curious, what am I supposed to do in this situation? I do a good job of making sure to line them up neatly and whatever, but if someone's 3 packs behind me am I just supposed to tell everyone else to not pass packs either?

Nobody passes if the guy next to them already has a pack waiting, or if they're waiting to pass. Keeps packs from getting mxied up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sharzak posted:

a man who has perhaps the largest belly on any human being I've ever seen

I saw a guy who tucked his stomach into his pants like a shirt and it was clearly visible as such and also loving gross. I think I win.

Veyrall posted:

Also, Sharzak, I don't know why the existance of utilikilts bothers you as much as it does. I've seen way worse with the Yu-Gi-Oh crowd at my LGS that "cosplays" as "original characters" that generally consist of over-dyed, over-sprayed spike hair, plastic shoulderpads, neon colors, and a desperate lack of aesthetic sense. But they don't steal anything and are pretty polite, which apparently puts them miles ahead of other Yu-Gi-Oh crowds.

A) YGO players are nasty swearing thieving little spider monkeys.

B) The best is the guys who basically LARP the game with those arm-mounted things, but they can't afford one from Toys R Us so they made their own out of cardboard.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Finally got to play my rebuilt Krenko EDH deck today. Started comboing off turn four, turn five I had about 100 hasty 2/2 tokens, turn six I topdecked Coat of Arms. :getin:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Some Numbers posted:

Why is Blackcleave Cliffs $6+?

Sees play in the extra-budget version of Living End and probably other stuff.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

CountFosco posted:

Not really, because they could very easily not reprint fetches in a return to zendikar block. I don't think they want fetches in standard ever again, really.

Theey don't want fetches in standard with shocks, but fetches aren't inherently busted and it's the only way to bring the Onslaught ones into Modern, which Maro has said they want to do.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jabor posted:

I'm still holding out hope for fetch+shock M15 super-standard.

This is incredibly delusional for a couple of reasons, the biggest one besides the obvious manabase poo poo is that it'd be a ten card cycle of lands in a core set.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

They could also put a theoretically playable prismatic land or two in the core set, like City of Brass, Grand Coliseum, or Gemstone Mine, or I guess more likely a new land entirely designed to appeal to infants who will shy away from harsh and punishing mechanics like "take a point of damage" or "a limited number of uses." Or maybe Reflecting Pool, that wouldn't be a bad core set staple.

Yeah why would they put cards that are easily grokkable in the set that is most aimed at new players? Clearly just pandering to retarded babies.

"Life is just another resource" is seriously one of the hardest concepts to wrap your head around as a new player.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 18, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BizarroAzrael posted:

Don't they sometimes do black intro decks built around the idea from time to time? "X is just another resource" is one of the main characteristics of the colour.

That doesn't make it not reallllly hard to wrap your mind around when one of the first things you learn about the game, if not the first, is that the first player to lose all their life loses, which means losing life is bad, why would I want to lose life on purpose?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Konstantin posted:

I doubt it would anger game stores that much, sure the prices on those particular singles will take a hit, but they get a cut of each $200 sale which should make up for it.

I'm sure having that 200 dollar card that you paid 100 for (making up numbers) suddenly plummet in value and then also not sell wouldn't piss anyone off at all. Part of the reason people are willing to pay money for singles is because they retain value to whatever extent, and WotC showing a willingness to just reprint poo poo en masse to crater prices would kill that dead in a heartbeat.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C-Euro posted:

They won't do that because of the same shadowy cabal that keeps the Reserved List in place by holding Maro's lost Roseanne scripts hostage. But yes, all but a tiny fraction of people who are into Magic would like that to happen.

I actually do not want that to happen and I am not a speculator.

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't know, it seemed pretty obvious to me the first time someone spelled it out. I mean, I was sceptical at first

Thank you for making my point: It's an idea that's counterintuitive the first time you hear it. Yes, it makes sense once you think about it and read about it, but it's not an obvious, immediate idea.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

One problem is that Wizards's printing department isn't very nimble. They keep up an excellent throughput of stuff, but when they need to react to new information--e.g., "Modern Masters was a good idea, we should print a bunch more of it"

They said from the beginning that it was only getting one print run though. They very deliberately undershot on Modern Masters and it was a way smarter move than "print all the cards".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough, I should have spoken more generally of a Modern Masters-like product. Unless they also said specifically that this one wet fart (in terms of supply) was all the injection that Modern staples were getting, ever, in which case I guess I can go ahead and rip the bandaid off my hopes.

Aaron Forsythe, in Modern Masters Explained, posted:

If the set works and accomplishes what we want—more Modern players—we'll contemplate making another set like it some time down the road. But for now, our plan is to stick with our small printing and keep a close eye on what happens.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Stinky Pit posted:

Wizards printed a very astute amount of Modern Masters. They managed to sell a significant amount of product to a niche of its customers, at a significant premium (double what they usually pay), without interrupting the pipeline of products that sell to the millions of casual players who actually make them money.

And they did all this while allaying fears that they'd crater the prices of expensive cards. MMA is loving impressive.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

I really don't see what Chronicles 2 would have been a big issue except among a few. Chronicles 1 was a 'debacle' among a select few who actually had a chance to open more than 5 packs of Legends. For 99.9% of us playing at the time, it was like mana from heaven. I loved the loving poo poo out of Chronicles and I would love 'Modern/Legacy Staples: The boxload Unlimited'.

You know what's great? Having your stock devalued like a motherfucker because that 150 dollar card is now a twenty dollar card. It's literally nothing to do with being smart or not, having expensive things suddenly be worth less than you paid for them is bad.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

XyrlocShammypants posted:

For some. But eh, screw those people.

I'm talking about stores, not speculators (but evne then, you're dumb, because part of the appeal is the idea that these cardboard rectangles hold some form of monetary value).

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

On the other hand, a 150 dollar card suddenly becoming 20 means more people will buy it.

Supply & demand, yo.

Yes this makes up for the money you just lost when all of your stock dropped to a quarter of its price. Supply and demand, yes.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

Im sure some retailers that aren't diversified enough to make money elsewhere/with the new influx of people who can play the game they want to play will take a hit. Some will fail. This happens literally any time something shakes up any retail market. Others will not fail, they will thrive, new places will come about to take advantage of the new shift in the market dynamics and overall, more people will be playing these awesome formats because they can. This is better for us, so really I think the massive net positive of availability far outweighs the hit some retailers will face. Also I don't care one single bit about individuals who have money 'invested' or whatever in Magic. That's a risk you take for storing money in the form of cardboard art rectangles.

It's not just "some" retailers though. It's literally any retailer who does a lot of business in singles. Screwing over the people who sell your product to other people is a real bad way for WotC to stay in business.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

Then why does Starcity want WOTC to end the reserve list and print Legacy staples, devaluing their entire stock of them?

"Printing Legacy staples" does not necessitate "Printing Chronicles 2.0: Staples Edition."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

toadee posted:

Whatever, I don't really care what others opinions are, the result is going to likely be somewhere in the middle, trying to please everyone and just pissing us all off in the process.

NObody was happy with Modern Masters at all. Nobody.

• Locked thread