Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

wild mongrel

Cabal Coffers, for sure.

e: honorable mention to Vindicate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Count Bleck posted:

That's...
That's a lot of Naya :stare:

Naya's got all the best fixing (Temples, Caryatid) as well as most or all of the set's quality mythics (Xenagos, Polukranos, Elspeth, Stormbreath)

Block Constructed with one large set's worth of cards is pretty funny.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ragnar34 posted:

My favorite card is Rebecca Guay, followed by Phyrexian Arena. MM Dark Ritual into Phyrexian Arena feels amazing.

Is devotion catching on in any of the eternal formats? Should I buy them now or wait until Theros block rotates, is what I'm saying.

I've seen people futzing with MBC using Gray Merchant as a finisher in Modern, though not to any great success. It's probably dead in the water without DRS, too, since every build I saw was super high-curve.

e: and Thassa as part of an Enlightened Tutor package in Legacy once or twice.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Look, it's really obvious that the only time it's okay to photograph a game in progress is when you need proof that someone plays with their lands in front. A photo is admissible as evidence in court and you can make sure these people end up in jail, where they belong.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

Nissa is definitely the odd one out there. Who the hell wants Nissa?

If I had to guess they're going to start pushing her as a major character.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

But they're not obligated to print Onslaught and Zendikar fetches at the same time, are they?

They're not obligated, no, but they've said that going forward they want their dual lands to both a) not favor specific color pairings and b) all go within the expert expansions. So if they DID reprint the fetches, they'd reprint all ten, and they'd do it in a block rather than a core set.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

Of the things to argue about in Magic, it seems like one of the more pointless.

So we have nothing new coming out until May, when Journey Into Nyx, the Modern Event Deck and Jace v Vraska Duel Decks all drop, right?

Yeah, the next actual upcoming Magic news (short of leaks) is probably going to be either the contents of those precon decks (I don't know when they usually do this) or when they announce what the fall set is going to be (usually this happens some time in March, last year it happened at PAX East). JIN previews will probably start two weeks before the prerelease, so mid-April?

In the meantime: is it okay to take a photo of someone's hand if they support the Reserved List?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

whydirt posted:

Wasn't Extended originally eternal before it became super-Standard?

Extended always rotated, I think, but it used to have a really weird rotation schedule where it built up and rotated out sets in three-year chunks or something. I didn't play then, though, so :shrug:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

an skeleton posted:

I'm guessing that art will be in Conspiracy or something? ^^

Lion's Eye Diamond is on the Reserved List, I think, so it won't be appearing in paper. They could definitely put that in Vintage Masters, though. Isn't LED like the most expensive card on MTGO?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

^^^ do you ever look in the mirror and think to yourself, "wow, so that's what being wrong looks like"

I think it sometimes when I read another post about how the old card frame looks better :twisted:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Korak posted:

Err correction for tomorrow:

McLaren(WUr) v. Rivera(UWR Twin)
Seibold(Robots) v. Dickmann(TarmoTwin)
Lee(Blue Moon) v. Alkio(RU Twin or All-in Twin)
Wilson(MeliraPod) v. Fennell(Storm)

Storm made top eight... Ban Rituals! Also whats up with WotC employees calling Affinity by the lesser used name of Robots?

It's something they tried to make stick in their coverage style guide, presumably because the word 'affinity' has a negative connotation (and they make the argument that the modern Affinity deck doesn't always run any Affinity cards, as if Frogmite and Myr Enforcer were the linchpins of that deck). Modern Affinity usually does run Thoughtcast, though.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Let's compromise and call it Modular since that's an artifact ability that's still in the deck.

Or, The Mod Squad.

Let's go back in time and get the original Affinity deck renamed 'Why the gently caress did Wizards print Skullclamp, artifact lands, Cranial Plating, or Arcbound Ravager. What is wrong with you idiots no I am NOT ranting I named the deck this specifically for this deck tech yes including that last part and also this one'

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

OssiansFolly posted:

If a creature comes in to play can another creature that player owns cause that just played creature to tap.

If I play a wizard can I immediately tap it using Azami, Lady of Scrolls?

Yeah, summoning sickness only affects activated abilities with the tap symbol on that card itself, it doesn't make them untappable. That's how the elf combo engine works - Heritage Druid lets you tap elves for mana the turn they come down.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Ok, having looked at it myself, pretty much every rare is underwhelming, but on balance it's still solidly worth a pickup.

why is the symbol a weather balloon though

I think it's supposed to be half of the symbol on Jace's robe and half a gorgon head? I think, on a perhaps related note, Wizards is really running out of ideas for set symbols

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

Modern Season.

STANDARD SEASON FIRE

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Tharizdun posted:

That's an old-school thing from tourney reports from 1997-2004. I hate it too, and I've never been able to decouple "made" from my gam-gam asking if I had to go "make" when I was 4, so I just have an image of like, Kai Budde tapping two islands, then climbing up on the feature match table, dropping trou and squatting, gritting his teeth for a minute and damned if a loving Voidmage Prodigy didn't appear on his battlefield.

Well, it's certainly a poo poo card.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

What a Judas posted:

Mutavault's success has nothing to do with it being a changling.

Well, not nothing. It pumps Pack Rat!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

To be fair, Thragtusk is a lot less scary in an environment that has Thoughtseize and Lifebane Zombie, and that doesn't have Unburial Rites or Restoration Angel.

Still though. Thragtusk is very... aggressively costed.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

Me too, the only recent one I know on there is the guy from Massapequa, who was the store owner in this story. The lifetime bans are always interesting to wonder what they did to get a lifetime ban.

I always forget which guy on the list got his lifetime ban for assaulting a judge.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Make an entire expansion set with booster packs split between the factions for a prerelease gimmick. You don't pick your faction, the TO evaluates you when you show up and assigns you one.

Finally, a set for that Ooze lord Maro wants to make.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MrBling posted:

The Fact or Fiction itself surprised me more.

Chapin and Sullivan's sleep-deprived reactions were hilarious.

"This'll be five lands if there's any justice in the world."

"Ah, a tough guy, eh?"

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

Thunder Spirit is also on the Reserved List oddly enough.

What's worse is the Reserved List's ban on functional reprints means we'll never get a 1WW 2/2 with Flying and First Strike. Those would be sweet to draft :argh:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Veyrall posted:

Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

Jaya Ballard is a 1-of in Legacy Painter decks!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Did SCG ever run Vintage tournaments?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

You have a bias for Legacy and do not really know what you're talking about. What 4/4 creature are you talking about?

Stoneforge Mystic, actually. (Specifically Stoneforge fetching Batterskull)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I will say that I'm really hoping that when all the great Azorius cards rotate out in the fall that the premier control deck in Theros/Huey standard isn't base blue/white. Gimme Grixis, or U/B, or U/R, or BUG, or something. gently caress

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I think the main thing that makes Legacy feel different than Modern is the utility spells rather than the threats. Like, sure, Stoneforge Mystic and Show and Tell are unbelievable win conditions, but the thing that makes Legacy decks tick is, by and large, the cantrips and card selection. Brainstorm and Ponder reduce in-game variance a lot, let you get away with a lower land count, and make it easier to dig for silver-bullet sideboard cards.

Modern is a higher-variance format by design, and things that reduce variance are actively culled from the format. Ponder, Preordain, GSZ, Jace... even Deathrite Shaman was banned for this reason, when you get down to it (when a Rock deck is happy to draw its acceleration in the lategame, some fundamental law of the universe has broken). That's why the best decks in Modern are decks that can handle variance, either with tutor packages (Pod, Gifts) or by being highly redundant (Twin, Affinity) or by just jamming as many of the most powerful cards as a manabase can support (Jund, UWR). And it's why Lightning Bolt is the most played spell in Modern - it has so many different uses and it offers an incredible rate on all of them, so it's never really a dead card.

Attorney at Funk fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 20, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Promoted Pawn posted:

It's also related to why the next block (Mercadian Masques) was so weak in comparison. Peter Adkinson (then president of WotC) called the Magic R&D heads into his office and threatened their jobs if Combo Winter 2 happened. They were intimidated enough that they went too far in the other direction and the block sucked by being too slow and bland. Fortunately Invasion came the year after and Magic was good again.

It's cool how this pattern of "broken block"->"crappy block"->"popular multicolor block" repeated itself with Mirrodin->Kamigawa-Ravnica. It's like they do multicolor sets specifically to stem the bleeding (or to stem anticipated bleeding). Alara came after the comparatively tamer skid of TSP and Lorwyn blocks. People at WotC were skeptical that gothic horror could carry a block, but they knew RTR was coming up right afterward...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Promoted Pawn posted:

Which is funny because by most accounts Innistrad resonated better than RTR did.

They were afraid Zendikar was gonna bomb too. Pobody's nerfect, I guess.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Nibble posted:

Conversely, what card has been printed the most with the fewest unique arts? If you don't count special promo versions, Fireball has like 16-18 printings with only two arts. The text has changed far more often than the art :v:

Pacifism's gotta be up there too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm looking forward to all those incredible Azorius cards rotating out not because I don't like Esper or control decks in general, but because I'd really like to see the main control deck not be base blue-white for a while. How about blue-black, or Grixis?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

As long as Blue is the best colour at answering cards before they come into play, and White the best at answering cards after, this will not happen.

They could totally reprint Damnation after Verdict rotates out!! It could happen, shut up :(

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

What a Judas posted:

Yeah I had to quickly scroll down. Also that's a stupid alter.

It doesn't even fit in the box!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Entropic posted:

I want to hear the goddamn fall set announcement already, I'm bored of Theros and want something new to speculate wildly about.

Am I the only one who's pretty unexcited for Journey Into Nyx? The Theros flavour was cool initially but without much in the way of story happening I'm pretty bored of it now.

I wouldn't say I'm bored, but I'm definitely a lot more interested to start learning about Huey block than I am for the spring set previews in a couple weeks. I just don't have very high hopes for anything really novel or ambitious, design-wise, coming out of Theros block. Bestow is a neat mechanic, but so much of the rest of it just feels like it's a completely ordinary Magic set that's using the word 'Enchantment' as a rhetorical flourish rather than pushing any boundaries.

Take some goddamn risks! :argh:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Fair enough, it looked to me at first glance like you were just listing the game's worst offenders of all time.

I do think it's possible for a card to be a mistake even if it doesn't need to be banned from its standard, yes. Different degrees and all that.

For instance I think most people'd be hard pressed to say Pack Rat was a good idea.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

qbert posted:

Pack Rat was a limited ultra-bomb that no one would've played in Standard if not for there being an archetype which it happened to fit nicely into. Probably not a good comparison to Sphinx which is amazing on its own, full stop.

Yeah but that's not a useful definition of the word 'mistake'. I don't think a card must be at least as abstractly and contextlessly powerful as Sphinx's Revelation for it to be better if it hadn't have been printed.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Zoness posted:

I can't think of a real reason aside from slow play that U/W/x control should be a more egregiously slow deck than 4-color gifts (Champions Block) or U/B teachings (TSP block and TSP standard) were, especially in their respective mirrors. U/W/x control decks play like, 10 relevant cards in the mirror, tops. Okay, 36 if you count lands.

I could see the games (especially game 1s) going that slow if it's specifically an Elixir mirror (where often the only way you can win is by decking the other guy naturally) and where people don't prioritize threat cards (which like you said, there are almost none of) correctly.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

qbert posted:

True, I guess I just don't think Pack Rat is good enough that anyone would call it a mistake. An easier argument could be made that reprinting Mutavault was the real mistake, since it's a more all-encompassing card and is the only reason Pack Rat is fast enough to work in Standard.

This is why I think there's considerations besides power level to identify mistakes. Mutavault is a great card, yeah, but it's great in a good way. As a manland it lets you both have and use your mana more often, as a colorless land it creates an incentive for disciplined mana bases, as a Changeling it's got all these neat little marginal synergies... it's just good Magic.

Pack Rat, though, when it's working, in Limited or Constructed, is a card that asks you to stop casting and resolving spells for the rest of the game. It has a negative, degenerate effect on gameplay - the Plan A of Monoblack Devotion for the whole season has been "I have 57 Pack Rats; I dare you to beat them". It's powerful enough to see play and the play it creates is awful.

I do think there's some merit to hating on Mutavault, though, and it's this: between Thoughtseize and Mutavault, two of the linchpin cards of the format are reprints. That, I think, goes a long way towards making Standard feel a little staler than it might actually be if you were to look at the numbers.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I have a strong ideological opposition to ever doing things so the Elixir build appeals to me on a primal level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MrBling posted:

I would recommend trading for legacy staples you can use in several decks instead of focusing one deck, since that is likely to be way more useful in the long run. Especially if you would like to play a good deck sometime in the future.

Drew Levin over on SCG actually had a really good string of articles about how to build a Legacy collection that was built around advice like this. It was Premium but it should all be free to view now.

• Locked thread