Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Momir Vig was my first good EDH deck. Unfortunately, every game, either Momir died or I locked down the game (or both, because of all the efficient ETB creatures I ran).

Still have a fondness for that deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Boxn posted:

Nah, because naming a card isn't the same as naming an opponent.
However, Fascist Art Director works like a True-Name Nemesis if you are playing against someone who is a Magic Card artist. Mark Rosewater said so (though I can't find the post about it on Tumblr).

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

Threads of Disloyalty has got to be the all star of McLaren's deck, especially for the pro tour so far.
Well, yeah, how many relevant Modern creatures have CMC higher than 2?

Also, is there video of any of the Blue Moon matchups?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Is Threads of Loyalty even a better or worse card now than people already knew it was before the PT (i.e. did some surprise new creature come out of the woodwork for it to target) or is any spike just a pavlovian reaction to seeing it on camera as the card that happened to be the last relevant play in the pro tour?
The latter, but it should have been big though all of Modern. It steals all sorts of poo poo, up to and including Goyf (and DRS back when it was legal).

Also, the prices are high because practically no one opened BOK.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Livingtrope posted:

Can someone explain to me why the big bad dragon bad evil guy of supreme evil needs a scarf?
He'd wear more, but it's hard to get clothes fitted when any tailor who touches you loses all their memories.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Stranglehold should have flash, so you can drop it in response to a library search or new turn.

But red doesn't get flash, so they'd have to add green. And green only gets flash on creatures, so they'd have to give it an efficient body. And if you're making a complex creature like this, they might as well make it legendary.

What I'm saying is I want an RG Stranglehold with flash as my commander. :getin::

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

jassi007 posted:

My favorite part the article today.

How can he be a blue mage? He's retarded!
Stupidity is primary in all five colors.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

A friend of mine played Tarmogoyf on an empty grave. 0/1.

His opponent Flame Jabs it. 1/2, 1 damage.

This didn't get the desired result, so he discards a land to retrace Flame Jab. 2/3, 2 damage.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's your Legacy duel deck matchup?
Breakfast Burrito vs Lands.dec.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

You know what you need?

You need some poo poo that fucks up spellcasting.

You need Knowledge Pool and Possibility Storm.

Also, Zo-Zu the Punisher and Ankh of Mishra will punch him in the face for playing lands.

EDIT: Two words: Storm Cauldron.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 2, 2014

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

JerryLee posted:

I was going to say there were enemy colored gold cards in BotG, but it was only Kiora and her followers... still, no reason why they can't go with Ajani and a few of his bros/sisters.
There were four other guys who used enemy colors: Akroan Phalanx, Odunos River Trawler, Stormcaller of Keranos, and Graverobber Spider.

Also, to gently caress up Karametra: Blood Moon and Magus of the Moon.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Another copy spell question: how to copied spells work with overload, entwine, and fuse? Do I just cast the base spell without the option of paying the bonus effect costs? Fuse spells are actually one spell when fused, right?
Everything in a cast spell that modifies the spell itself is copied. Kicked spells are copied kicked, spliced spells are copied spliced, overloaded spells are copied overloaded, entwined spells are copied entwined, fused spells are copied fused.

However, things that happen when you cast the spell aren't copied. So replicated spells aren't copied replicated and storm spells aren't copied stormed.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Are you playing BUG superfriends or something? That sounds awesome.

edit: on a completely different note, I can't believe I never before read or processed the full implications of Rakdos Keyrune's flavor text. :stonklol:
I'm reminded of the flavortext for Barbed Shocker.

Fervid shamans willingly submit to shockers in hopes of glimpsing the fortunes of the future.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I can't wait to see someone flash this in in response to blockers being declared.

Especially when one of the things being blocked is a Boros Reckoner. :getin:

Also, Keranos looks pretty drat good, giving reach in the lategame.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Someone's going to ultimate Ajani with Boon Reflection and Rings of Brighthearth. And it'll be fantastic.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

With all of the 4 toughness things kicking around this Standard you'd think they were going to print Lightning Bolt in the core set. I wish Anger of the Gods hit more stuff or overloaded Mortars wasn't six. It sucks that URs only solutions to Desecration Demon are Turn/Burn and countering it.
That's why a friend of mine is running Grixis Spellheart. I'll see about getting her list.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Anyways, here's the Grixis Chimera deck.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-izzetgoyf-demands-sacrifice/

She's interested in feedback on it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Sure, but that was an objectively poor assessment. Anyone can see how valuable Elspeth is.
Obviously not! :haw:

Zoness posted:

I'm pretty sure the ability to play any of those at instant speed is outright irrelevant compared to pro-white and the monstrosity ability.
Precisely. Detention Sphere is a constant threat, as are Azorius Charm, Chained to the Rocks, etc.

She says Hypersonic Dragon is strictly cooler, though.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Entropic posted:

Then I recall that those old sets had completely stupid rarities and stuff that looks common was at rare for no particularly good reason.
And stuff that looks rare was at çommon for no good reason whatsoever.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Promoted Pawn posted:

This is not going to happen simply because uncommon is the most crowded rarity as far as the designers are concerned and is even less capable of holding a 10 card cycle. Duals pretty much have to go either in common or rare, and while I think a case could certainly be made that they belong in common, tradition and money (rare duals sell packs, period) are going to keep them where they are for the foreseeable future.
I'm pretty sure rare dual lands is a Hasbro decree, and I don't know how they got away with not having them in M14.

Though having them at uncommon isn't unheard of. Alara had the tri-lands at uncommon, and Zendikar had the refuges.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

If Athreos is graveyard recursion, then what the hell is Pharika going to be?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

En Fuego posted:

For the women playing MTG thing ... I know Seattle has a great thing with Lady Planeswalker Society. Run by former WOTC employee Tifa Robles, she's getting the word out on what she does pretty well now. I'd check out their FB, or contact her, if you're interested on finding ways to make it more inviting for women to come to your LGS.

Or, you could just speculate on these threads! :D
Note: Lady Planeswalker Society is in part responsible for Magic Cards with Googly Eyes, and is thus pretty drat awesome.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

And I had literally just asked Maro if red would get more temporary copy effects. Awesome.

All we need now is a good ball lightning and I can start eating people's faces with tramply burn.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Zorak posted:

Who likes Blue??

Daring Thief + Master of Waves. Steal your opponent's best creatures and give them 1/0s that die immediately.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

In what scenario do I have a heavily devoted Master of Waves and can swing a 2/3 with impunity yet haven't already won?
RG monsters? He can swing into any of their mana dorks and survive, and when he's tapped, there's a massive disincentive to play one of their five-drops.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

rabidsquid posted:

Does R/W burn really not run any spells that could kill a 1 toughness creature? I am not up to date on burn but that strikes me as really weird.
Yes, but it forces their hand, as it were.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

LightReaper posted:

Further to the point, was there ever a R/G god before Xenagos? I had assumed it was a forgotten god that would resurface but I'm not too up on my greek lore.
Based on the Temple of Abandon, there once was but there was no longer. (Also, I love the double meaning of "Abandon" there.)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Northjayhawk posted:

Spiteful Blow: Sip of Hemlock with "destroy target land" grafted onto it
So black and green get land destruction, and red doesn't.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

AlsoD posted:

What ways are there to win in standard without casting spells, other than Mutavaults? I suppose I could try and play cards like Akroan Horse, Brimaz or Pack Rats (which can take over games) before the Possibility Storm.
Don't try and make it so you can't win without spells, make it so the ones you cast with Possibility Storm are automatically the right ones. Like Enter the Infinite, leaving Borborygmos Enraged in your library, then cast it for almost free and throw all your land cards at your opponent's face.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

vOv posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening to this guy.
"This loving guy!"

That's the first thing I thought of.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

You can't really play combo in Standard while Thoughtseize is around
Maze's End. Thoughtseize can't touch lands. :getin:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

I hope you can show him a Theros pen island and see what he does. I have a running bet with a friend.

I thought you were talking about an Island whose art was vaguely penis-shaped at one part, but nope. That's a penis, front and center. How'd that get past the art directors?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Maro has given us... Conspiracy... spoilers?

didtheresearch posted:

Will we see any Conspiracy spoilers this week?

markrosewater posted:

Never eat uncooked meat.

Expect the unexpected.

Xylophones are very loud.

Tricycles seldom tip over.

Weasels don’t make great pets.

Eleven donuts don’t fill the box.

Eight is not nearly enough.

Keep off my lawn.
Any ideas?

EDIT: The first letter of each sentence spells out "NEXT WEEK".

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Ramos posted:

Hop back a few months in this thread, you'll find plenty.
Also, look at MTG Salvation.

(Don't look at MTG Salvation, it's awful now.)

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

This motherfucker is going to cause so many rules headaches.

Her ability produces mana and has no targets, so it is a mana ability, which means that it can be activated while you're casting a spell, activating an ability, or paying for a triggered ability or special action. I'd like you to look up the Oracle rulings for Chromatic Sphere. I'll wait.

Oh, but it gets worse. The mana ability produces an amount of mana based on cards in non-public zones. Which means you can tap her to play, say, a Garruk's Companion, and come up with 1 or 0 mana. And since it reveals information from hidden zones, it can't be rewound like you normally could if you tried to cast a spell illegally.

So if you try and cast a spell off of her and fail to come up with enough mana, the game hardlocks and demons fly out of your nose.

This thing is going to get errata drat quick, saying "Activate this ability only when you could cast an instant", like Charmed Pendant does.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

AegisP posted:

If her ability is a mana ability, does that mean her entire effect doesn't use the stack? Essentially: is it not possible to respond to the card draw portion of her ability, if your opponent, for instance, really didn't want to draw the top card of their deck?
That's right. If your opponent has no cards on their library, you can make them lose and they can't do anything about it.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Dr. Stab posted:

Tell them to memorize the entire comp rules before they can play their first game. After their first game, make them memorize the MTR and IPG. After their second game, give them the L1 judge exam.
So when do you force them to memorize the entire Oracle database?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Chris Rahn, Thassa's Ire (JOU)
Kiora comes back, with sea serpents and leviathans and krakens aplenty. Thassa is furious at the mage shoving the use of her children in her face. Then Kiora summons non-Theran creatures for good measure, which confuses Thassa. Not enough to stop, though. Thassa speeds the Planeswalkers' ship on its way, before calling up her own creatures to fight Thassa's. Even Arixmethes is in the fight, though I'm not sure on which side (probably Thassa's). Kiora just laughs and goes to battle a god.
Seriously, why the gently caress wasn't the novel about this? I could read about that battle for days. Who cares about Xenagos, Warrior Princess or whatever?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Ashiok helped Phenax destroy a minor polis by manipulating the leader into paranoia while he was trying to negotiate a treaty with the leonin. The, Ashiok asked Phenax for a boon: "I want to hide from the gods."

Apparently, an RG god existed briefly, started waking up, then was crushed again by Ephara. Ashiok wants to wake it up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

Veyrall posted:

Brimaz is a lion-man right? In fact, he's king of the lion-men? With a big white scar over one eye?

Main villain for Return to Theros is confirmed.
But he's already the king. :confused:

• Locked thread