Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
EDH is the best format:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

HMS Boromir posted:

Is there anyone that streams MTGO that doesn't do it alone, playing music, with a facecam?

Is this something to aim for? most mtgo streams dont get enough viewers chatting, so music keeps the stream from being quiet for like 90% of the time.

I stream commander sometimes but if I dont have anyone to talk to i'll have music on. No face cam yet though.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Xeom posted:

Am I reading the rules right? You can not attack minions directly and instead always have to attack the opponent. Creatures only die if they decide to block, or can you directly attack creatures as well?

New to Magic? Coming from Hearthstone?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Pinwiz11 posted:

3WW destroy all Batterskulls.

and swords, etc. Seems rough!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

theCops posted:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here...

Let's say you attacked in a turn, then ultimated chandra, pyromaster and you hit a Howl of the Horde on the ultimate. since you attacked, it triggers the raid value.

you now cast howl once, giving you triple of your next instant or sorcery. You cast howl again, giving you 3 howls with raid. You cast it one more time, giving you 3x3x3 = 27 of your next instant or sorcery, which you need to pay for, but you didn't tap any mana for any of the previous spells, so no problem there. You then cast lightning strike and it resolves, and then it does 81 damage, or 3 damage 27 times divided among creatures or players.

Does a counterspell save you at the point where you cast the lightning strike, or does it just stop one?

Copied spells aren't "Cast" and dont trigger stuff like Raid.

EDIT: I misread, this is bonkers.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Zorak posted:

hi anyone read Italian? I think when you flip her she counters and then steals an instant spell?

Morph flipping Spelljack? sick.

EDIT: if you guys play in paper Massdrop has already got KoT boxes up for $99.99 If I played in paper i'd be jumping on this since other places have already got their prices at around 110$

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/khans-of-tarkir-booster-box

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
someone on reddit got a Speed vs Cunning before street date:

Not sure if this deck will play very well vs the other.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gyshall posted:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS

THAT's not going to get old quickly.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Elyv posted:

Also I'm not sure how much of a difference giving +1/+1 and lifelink as opposed to just lifelink makes.

With Jeskai's focus on prowess, all your kungfu dudes end up with +2/+2 and lifelink for 3 mana which can be about as insane a blowout as you imagine.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

jassi007 posted:

A set a of fetches if you can wait until Dec-Jan will be $10-15 each. You need 20, so your talking between $200-300. I suspect that about $250 will be where its at. So buy a 4x set of commons/uncommons off ebay for $30-35, a set of fetches for $250, spend another $200ish on singles for a standard deck, get everything you want and not have to crack 216 packs, sort, trade/buylist etc.

If you really think cracking 200ish packs sounds fun and you love to trade and you just want to sort 3,240 cards, and pray you get $550 in value, go for it. If you just want a set of fetches and a standard deck, be patient, buy singles.

Also if you just wanted to draft those boxes with friends that could be a lot of fun.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Interest that Temur bears are exactly twice the standard bear size, a precedent set by Ashcoat, Balduvian, Grizzly, Runeclaw, Striped, Forest, Cub and many other bears.

Perhaps they are on Stimutacs.

Everything's Bigger in Texas Temur

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Khans is secretly a Demons tribal block.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
So villainous wealth is Genesis wave + epic experiment?

gently caress me silly.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Tempest, Odyssey, and Onslaught were my favorites growing up.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Holy poo poo the MTGO calendar of events stuff on the wotc website is AWFUL.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/97312861103/why-no-ultimatums#notes

quote:

rageofstoneclan said: Why no ultimatums?

We originally had ultimatums but they ended up being very expensive cards with huge effects that seldom got played. We opted instead to just give each wedge a cool rare that we thought would have a better chance of being played.

Nooooooooooooo

:negative:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I dont see it.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
streamin some commander on mtgo http://www.twitch.tv/pyronicex

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Gensuki posted:

Does Phalanx Leader work really well with Outlast creatures?

Not the keyword Outlast but the creatures that are meant to work with outlast conferring benefits to all creatures with +1/+1 counters.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Tracula posted:

I hate to sound like a prick if I do but why the gently caress do people play MTGO over stuff that actually works and doesn't cost you real world money if by chance it does go wrong?

What works and doesn't cost real money?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

neetengie posted:

It functions pretty well for being free.

Every single time I hear about cockatrice its because someone disagrees with how a card is supposed to work, cusses a bunch in chat and quits.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Theres a chromanticore control deck :allears:

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

JerryLee posted:

Well, with Khans we've already started a land war in Asia, so... :v:

but the Mongols are the exception to everything!

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Rinkles posted:

LSV's top 5 clans

:eyepop:

in no particular order

Top 5 Clans in a Meaningful Order (in this case, power level in Limited)

5. Sultai
4. Jeskai
3. Temur
2. Mardu
1. Abzan

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

mcmagic posted:

You have this exactly backward.

I copy pasted from the lsv article :|

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Played magic for almost 30 hours straight from FNM to the 7pm 2 Headed Giant pre-release at my LGS. Ended up going 4-0 at FNM with BW Control and then picked Mardu for all 4 of the pre-releases I did. Ended up going 4-0, 3-1, 3-1, and 3-1.

Mardu vs Mardu also ended up pretty grindy but most of the other match ups were pretty quick. Zurgo + Ride Down was amazing, as was unmorphed Ponyback Brigades + Ankle Shanker and Trumpet Blast or Master of Pearls unmorphing to blow them out.

Butcher of the Horde put in a lot of work but generally my opponents would remove it within a turn or two. I sadly didn't get to live the dream of Act of Treasoning someone's giant turtle thing and keeping it forever.

christ how many packs did that win you?

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

A big flaming stink posted:

seriously people, just play modo

For all MTGO's problems, its taught me a ton about how Magic rules work mechanically

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

weekly font posted:

What happened to Magic streaming on Twitch? School caused me to step away from watching for a few months and now there's, max, seven or eight streams. Most of the regular people are gone and it seems to just be Kenji still going at it. Did the new client murder everyone's MODO enjoyment?

depends heavily on time of day, but a few streamers that used to just stream magic are definitely streaming hearthstone now.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Ultima66 posted:

Why would anyone ever play Hurkyl's Recall? Rebuild only costs 1 more and is much more versatile. And it's a sideboard card so you could always deal with whatever you wanted to deal with the next turn.

I don't get it. I can't possibly imagine a scenario where I would ever want Hurkyl's Recall over Rebuild in my sideboard, since Rebuild is clearly the much more versatile card.

Hurkyl's is 1 mana cheaper targets only your opponent. If you're using artfacts too, why would you spend extra mana to bounce yours.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Magic: the Gathering: the Megathread: Khans of Tarkir: Fetching for a life.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

BJPaskoff posted:

If I had a dollar for every time someone's shown me a deck idea that plays four Shrapnel Blasts and only four Ornithopters as their only artifacts, I'd have a full foil set of Khans.

Who runs ornithopters and shrapnel blasts but not springleaf drum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Attorney at Funk posted:

They've started dropping hints on the previously-unnamed Lithomancer in recent Uncharted Realms, which feels like another setup for Fall of the Eldrazi or whatever, and one of the big selling points of the two-block paradigm is getting to push out their stories at a faster pace than one self-contained arc a year

Zendikar's self-appointed protector. Nahiri. the Kor planeswalker from Zendikar is the identity of the Lithomancer.

WotC has been pretty sly about tying it together but the last Sorin Uncharted Realms story names her explicitly, she was also the one who trapped Ob Nixilis, with unmatched binding magics.(http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/ur/dreams-damned-2014-08-06)

• Locked thread