Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dungeon Ecology posted:

On a related note, I love hearing about the different names that people/playgroups have adopted for different cards. Young Peezy et al.
I think Stinkweed Pimp is one of my favs.

Anyone have any of those to share?

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tonde Mo Nai posted:

I think my pet card in my cube is Smokestack, because I love drafting the rear end in a top hat pox deck.

I love Stasis, especially the art. In fact my current playmat is the Stasis art.

I also have a huge soft spot for:

Mind Knives!? That's clearly a Mind Fork.

That is CLEARLY multiple mind knives from the same mind origin.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

On the other end of the spectrum, I really really like all of the Eldrazi. I had just restarted playing Magic at the tail end of worldwake, and the first card I saw from RoE was Ulamog and just thought whooooaaa how do I even use this? It was mind blowingly large and expensive, and just really really cool.

Also Vent Sentinel. RoE was the best.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Finally, I get that full art promo worldslayer I've always wanted

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Heh, its crazy how good creatures have become, I mean, would people even run Wild Mongrel if it were legal in standard now?

edit-sorry for the double post

If madness was a major archetype, and/or standard needed a graveyard enabler probably. It would really depend if there was a BETTER madness/graveyard card, and with modern cards there likely would be.

Its all relative.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the gobs. I'll have to look them up later tonight.

If you include Krenko, also include Goblin Assasin and invest in a lot of quarters.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Krenko => Goblin Assassin is the most insulting psuedo plague wind, especially if you flip all the coins at once and just make it rain on your LGS.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Tharizdun posted:

I put together Rakdos Humanggro and I just can't understand Exava's role. She's a 4/4 Haster for 4, sure, but is that enough? I keep coming back to Cryptborn Horror as an alternative, because dropping him on 4 and also firing off a Thoughtseize to take their board-wipe or big green dude seems good.

What am I missing about her? That she makes future Rakdos Cacklers into Goblin Guides? I thought she was the top of the curve.

haste, and a more reliable 4/4

E: What I mean is, yes haste and first strike is enough.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 12, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm only ever going to play conspiracy as a sealed format :smugwizard:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I get guilt tripped into playing and I have a miserable time

quote:

Yes, I realize this is incredibly childish.

Learn how to say "Thanks, but no thanks" dude. Its really easy. And find people who play the format you like instead of making GBS threads on something other people like. I'm glad you recognize that you're being really childish though!

E; And if they keep asking? Keep saying thanks but no thanks! Theres no reason to feel guilty about not liking something!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The idea behind Clockwork Librarian is absolute insanity, and I hope they make more cards that interact with the actual process of draft. Drafting that card to exchange it for an extra spicy pack of cards later in the draft is just so cool.

Not sure how thats going to work on MODO though!

Literally The Worst posted:

Deliberately setting out to make other people miserable makes you a colossal chode.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

But heres the thing...If you use your Librarian you have to put him BACK in the pack, so the guy next to you can then take it and use it AGAIN. Imagine, since it is common, seeing 2-3 of these in a pod...it would cause so much confusion. Not to mention I can see people screwing up the card counts...because rear end holes exist.

Its really not as confusing as you make it sound. You'll always be drafting the same number of cards, and you'll have to put back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 back into the pile.

Putting back a vanilla 3/3 for 4 is hardly a downside when you get maybe a bomb uncommon and an important missing piece like removal from your deck. We've all had those packs that make you feel "uggghhh i want everything in this pack!"

I think my playgroup, and most playgroups for that matter can handle Clockwork Librarian.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bugsy posted:

Oh mtgo, you so crazy.

hahaha why did this happen?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Its the perfect crime

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

Because after FNM I want to go drinking...if I spend an over all 3 minutes per game writing down hands and play 3 games per match at 5 matches in a night I am effectively losing the equivalent of 2 beers being drunk or 45 minutes...and that isn't including my opponent. It speeds things up for everyone involved. It isn't a matter of being lazy...it is a matter of convenience. Everyone seems to confuse and combine the two concepts.

That is a pretty intense justification for being lazy and ignoring really good advice.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have a strict FNM schedule that I must adhere too, and abhor any deviation.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ajani looks less like he has a scar and more like he's AGGRESSIVELY winking at you.

"Don't worry I'll enchant your cats WINKWINKWINK"

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

toadee posted:

In other news, Tavis Woo kicks off his PT Valencia articles by insulting everyone he can:

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/woo-brews-play-the-game-see-valencia/

The first comment says it best

Despite woo having a bunch of goofy and interesting decks, he can be so stupid and annoying sometimes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

vOv posted:

I want a set of prints of Unhinged lands because goddamn:

edit: Actually no I want prints of these

My LGS has all of them. They're in a rennovated warehouse with taaaaaalll rooms, so they have a ton of pictures like that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Samael posted:

Yeah, speaking of which, I have been looking for alternate art young pyromancer elemental tokens for MURDERGOATS but only found alters of anime women, I don't want to look like a loving creep, so does anyone have recommendations for an artist who I can commission to make some actual decent looking tokens?

Rebecca Guay :getin:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The March Hare posted:

Unless the dude is looking to drop thousands in the tens, that probably isn't happening but in the event that he is! Please share them :3

I'm hoping he is because stain glass fire monsters would be so cool.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Cactrot posted:

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (whou couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

He should have pointed to the heart of the cards

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Count Bleck posted:

I eagerly await the next Un-Set including a 'Heart of the Cardboard' card that basically says "cheat anything you want into play for no cost"

Name a card and reveal the top card of your library. If it is that card, put it into play. If it is not the card you were hoping for, search for your library for that card and put it ontop of your library. Then, reveal the top card of your library and put that card into play. Shuffle your library.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

I cast Heart of the Cards and put Heart of the Cards on top of my library infinite number of times until you are SOOOO bored you quit and never want to play me again.

Oh no its shahrazad all over again

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I have sleeves that are a giant squid attacking a submarine and I sometimes start every game with 'lets get kraken'

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Nooooooo dont derail this derail into that magic derail.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

I'd call you a terrible person, but I've cracked too many bad jokes involving Boros Reckoner to judge.

My friends phone autocorrected Boros Reckoner to Boros Recliner, so that name stuck with us.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

morning wood posted:

Rules/card mechanics question: If a Boros Reckoner was to block a 5/5 creature with trample, would Boros Reckoner be able to assign 3 damage or 5 damage to another creature or player?

3 damage is lethal, he would only receive 3 damage so he would only assign 3 damage for his triggered ability. The remaining 2 damage spills over onto the player.

If trample wasn't there, BR would be able to assign 5 damage.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I mean in a world where magic is incredibly abundant and powerful, dying from petrification or rapidly producing stone statues are equally likely. :colbert:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Veyrall posted:

Honestly, I think Thragtusk really needed trample in order to make it a Constructed-viable card. A 5/3 for 5 is just not good enough any more.

Haha good one

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ramos posted:

Eh, titans would be far worse than Thragtusk, but that's just me.

Whip + titans would be insane. Inferno titan would poo poo out damage, prime time would be value town, sun titan would be a different kind of value town, Frost Titan would throw you back a few turns and zombie titan would make a small army.

E: and also at least 6 life. I think inferno titan + whip would be the grossest because you would gain 12 life. Now I have a dumb idea for a modern deck.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 14, 2014

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I remember something about thragtusk being bad during spoiler season but I mostly remember how no one thought delver was worthwhile.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mulletstation posted:

Gift of immortality works on any mid-sized annoying threat.

I'm surprised no-one has stuck it on a boros reckoner yet.

Playing it for value is less fun than WOMBO COMBO

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

See also caw-blade.

I honestly thought cawblade was worse (it was).

The innistrad format was a really good evolving format at first, but it eventually boiled down to 3 decks: Naya, Zombies, Delver. It kind of became a more obvious game of rock paper scissors.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Dont forget Thragtusk showed up in trading post sometimes!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

What's worse is the Reserved List's ban on functional reprints means we'll never get a 1WW 2/2 with Flying and First Strike. Those would be sweet to draft :argh:

:confuoot:

http://magiccards.info/10e/en/43.html

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

revengeanceful posted:

I had the same exact reaction. :smith::hf::smith:

Me too :smith::hf::smith::hf::smith:

Honestly the part where everyone talked about SCGs influence over how regularly legacy would be played is a pretty interesting topic. "My format is better than your format" is just as annoying as console warrior bullshit.

Entropic posted:

I was joking about Strip Mine. This thread will latch onto anything to argue viciously about.

They were just responding to your joke with a counter.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

No, your opponent can't stop the effect by killing Tymaret. The effect is already on the stack, it doesn't matter than the thing doing the effect is no longer there.

There's basically no way for your opponent to stop you sacrificing a creature for damage if you have the mana available.

Not in standard, but Stifle

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

...what the hell is even being depicted here?

A very dark ritual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Look if we don't get a steam punk set where I can assemble contraptions soon I might have to rethink my hobby.

• Locked thread