Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
One of my first and most memorable draft decks revolved around storm cards and Grinning Ignus. It didn't win a lot of games, but the times when I drew Ignus + Empty the Warrens were great. So Grinning Ignus is an important card to me, because it was the card that taught me to look at cards for their synergistic potential rather than just their power in a vacuum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I stand by Birthing Pod as the best designed and most awesome card in magic history.

Pod's taken over as my favorite card as well. I really enjoyed playing Naya Pod when that deck was in Standard - you could beat down or grind value even without the Pod, but once you had Pod there were so many lines you could take, especially before Thragtusk hit the scene and there wasn't an obvious best 5-drop. I remember one game where my opponent had both Gideon Jura and Consecrated Sphinx out, and I went: Pod for Zealous Conscripts, steal Gideon, attack with Gideon, play Restoration Angel blinking Gideon, use Gideon to kill Consecrated Sphinx.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

A big flaming stink posted:

Hey now, I think MtGox would have been in much better shape if they invested in Underground Seas instead of buttcoins :v:

They would have found a way to lose all the Power held on their site somehow

They did, at one point. (For those who don't know, MTGOX originally stood for Magic The Gathering Online Exchange.)

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
Here's a hilarious interaction someone found:

quote:

Rule 712.5:

While controlling another player, a player makes all choices and decisions the controlled player is allowed to make or is told to make by the rules or by any objects.

quote:

Rule 100.6b:

Players can use the Magic Store & Event Locator at Wizards.com/Locator to find tournaments in their area.

Judging from Tabak's Tumblr it seems like this really does allow you to use Mindslaver to force your opponent to search for tournaments in their area.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

JerryLee posted:

I know this wasn't actually a great concern of theirs, but I think it's funny that in light of Atinlay Igpay's cumbersome "drawback" its stats really aren't anything remarkable. 6cc 3/3 double strike would most likely be playable in Limited but still not great.

:spergin:

Speaking of drawbacks on Unhinged cards, Carnivorous Death-Parrot has a really well designed one in the context of the set. Saying his flavor text triggers the whole cycle of uncommon Gotcha cards.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Minority Deport posted:

As near as I can tell, that's what happens on every plane since they started making the drat comics. Though he occasionally shows up on-plane in promo art:

This is supposed to be him getting choked by Sorin on Innistrad, I think? I have never read any of these comics, but that wiki article seems to think so. Also, holy poo poo there have been a lot more Drink Faygo promos than I thought there were. Some of them are even decently valuable!

This makes me like Sorin even more than using his card on Oloro EDH players does.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
After watching the Vintage Rotisserie videos the Shotgun Lotus guys did, I really want to try that format out. If other people are interested, it shouldn't be too tough to set up a Google doc and play matches on Cockatrice.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
If you're having issues with V4, you should check out XMage. It's a fairly recent addition to the Magic program field, but this one has rules enforcement, with 8500+ cards implemented and new cards being added constantly. You can see what cards are/aren't implemented here. I'm one of the people contributing card implementations to the project (it's fairly simple to stitch together parts of other cards into something working if you have a bit of programming knowledge), so if there are any specific cards you think should be jumped front of the line, just post them.

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax
I put up a thread for a Vintage Rotisserie Draft if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Lurchington posted:

people who've ever been interested in Vintage Rotisserie Draft, but sure to catch http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus today (you can also start watching the draft from the beginning).

Marshall Sutcliffe and Randy Buehler are competing, and Brian Wong is commentating.

Here's the spreadsheet if people want to see how the draft portion turned out. Of note, some cards that were taken before Balance: Aether Spellbomb, Glaze Fiend, Darkwater Egg, Tainted Wood, and Dimir Cutpurse.

Also, there are two slots left in the inaugural SA Vintage Rotisserie Draft, for anyone who wants to give the format a try.

• Locked thread