Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Samael posted:

Am I bad person if I want bitterblossom to stay banned so I can buy a reasonably priced one because of the amazing art on it? :smith:

I bought one for the art when it was banned, now I know I should sell it and rebuy it later. My LGS has Rebecca Guay's Serra Angel for $80 and I could justify buying it if I sold my Bitterblossom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Livingtrope posted:

So tell me, how come fog patch is worded like that and what happens if you cast it against Tromokratis?

You would either have all or none of your creatures block Tromokratis, and then cast Fog Patch to block all attacking creatures. Fog Patch is similar to fog, but if you are able to kill any attacking creatures you can do so.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

My pet card is Laboratory Maniac, I have so many ways to win with him. Breakfast Burrito, Fluctuator, Seance, and Cephalid Breakfast are just a few of the better ones.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Chorocojo posted:

Funnily enough, Longhorn Firebeast does that, but its only a 3/2 for 3.

The fact that it saw no play ever, even in Pauper, is illustrative. It's a wimpy 3/2 except in situations that a 3/2 could get a couple attacks in, and when that comes up your opponent simply kills it. Vexing Devil can be good in burn decks because both modes are above the curve, Longhorn Firebeast is simply weaker than a Spur Grappler.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mehall posted:

I'm not sure how much play it actually saw, but I know there were people who used Book Burning targeting themselves to get instant threshold.

Unless the opponent takes 6 to stop you from reaching threshold :yum:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

Yikes, I better get on it.

So, Andrew Shrout is on-camera playing Death and Taxes, as usual. What is unusual is that he is playing W/b with Scrublands for Zealous Persecution. I know TNN is a beating but... that seems wrong, right? Whenever I see that deck play there is always a game or two where it just can't draw colored mana and opening yourself up to Wasteland seems super bad.

Decks that play Wasteland are usually good matchups for Death and Taxes, except Merfolk, which beats Death and Taxes by tapping a Wasteland and two Islands to cast TNN. I think going with Scrublands to beat TNN is a good call in this metagame. Is that his only black card, though?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Boxn posted:

Wouldn't Runed Halo be another option for White decks that can't defend well against TNN?

No, because the TNN can still block.

gently caress it, Wizards should print a spell with "Choose a creature. Target opponent gains control of this spell. Exile that creature."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AgentSythe posted:

Did Feline end up winning? I had to step away from the coverage. She is an absolute master. In the SCG Open she won last year, she resolved a Ponder (reordering the top 3 cards) with one hand. She's a combo robot sent from the future to stop people from playing Stoneforge Mystics.

I remember that open, her decklist had a ridiculous number of outs to every card that beats High Tide and she kept drawing or tutoring for them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stinky Pit posted:

It's been reprinted and is pretty cheap dude.

I wouldn't call a $25 Judge foil "pretty cheap".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kilazar posted:

Got an acquisition question. I missed out on some really fun looking blocks. And looking at the price list on them, it is not unreasonable for me to pick up a play set of say the ice age block or Alara block. How do you do that without getting eaten alive by shipping on tcgplayer? Is there a site that will sell you full play set blocks without a super price mark up? As long as you are staying away from the money cards that is.

Some places on tcgplayer do Super Saver Shipping, so if you live in the US you can pay much lower shipping on orders above $50.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Promoted Pawn posted:

Wait, would a Shakespeare themed deck be possible? I need to look into this.

I've been planning one for a while. Shakespeare doesn't have enough good cards to make a deck on his own, but if I make it a classical literature theme that gives me Urborg and Hypnotic Specter for a respectable blue/black deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Could Magister of Worth be a one-of in Reanimator? It saves you in situations where you're dead on board otherwise, but I struggle to think of a situation it would be better than Blazing Archon or Griselbrand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mezzanon posted:

Lately I've been playing a lot of Mono-B aggro, instead of regular Mono-B (which is rampant in my local meta) The deck is LOADS of fun to play, and I highly recommend it for anyone. I'm also just glad to be playing Agent of the Fate.dek

I've been playing your Rakdos Aggro list, should I play mono-B aggro instead? Looks like plenty of fun.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mezzanon posted:

But these are just my opinion. What's the meta like in Calgary right now???

It's half decks that utterly stomp Rakdos Aggro and Murdergoats and half decks that fold completely. I'm tempted to switch to Maze's End, but then I'm just losing to a different set of decks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

suicidesteve posted:

Uh, couldn't he have just made him draw one more card and killed him there? The rule is if you lose if you have to draw a card that's not there, not only if you can't draw on your draw step, right?

Yeah, but sometimes dumb people love to show off.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Seems like quite a big metagame shift if Miracles is suddenly back on top. I guess it does a decent job ignoring TNN.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

En Fuego posted:

Drama! Cheating? Honest mistake? This is ... Mana Burned. I am your host.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbvhKQ1ZrY

Peanut Gallery. WHAT IS HIS FATE? Condemnation for cheating? Is Brainstorm the new Explore? YOU DECIDE!

It's a pretty clear cheat to me, might have been accidental but it's definitely a Drawing Extra Cards penalty.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vOv posted:

Have you ever wondered how slow a deck can win at Three-Card Magic? Well now you can find out. Make sure to read part 3 for a 36-card deck that wins in about 2^(20*2^204)) turns!

I once did a Three-Card Magic tournament where the goal was to make a losing deck (that could win against a three blank cards) and swap decks with your opponent each round. I came up with Fountain of Cho, Sustaining Spirit, and Steeling Stance, which is "only" 464 turns. I see he knows about Broodstar.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Toshimo posted:

Dismal Flamingo's name is a lot less bad when you realize it's an anagram like Liliana.

Duck Flooding -> gently caress Dick Idol?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Devor posted:

Hex: We would like to begin selling product

Wizards: In Response, I sue you.

Judge: Sorry, you made eye contact and paused, that means passing priority. Hex wins the case.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Count Bleck posted:

Can't wait to see Jace summon a big gently caress off fire breathing dragon. :colbert:

And then it disappears when a Hex Parasite removes all zero of its counters.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nam Sung-Wook had a Japanese flag next to his name on the stream for a while, whoops. I haven't been following block constructed enough to know what to expect from this matchup.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tonfa posted:

So there is a janky way to make the vote cards into actual split cards in a duel.

It's a shame they're only legal in Legacy and Vintage, since that means no one will ever use Brago's Representative.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mortimer posted:

Was there ever an upkeep cost with phyrexian mana?

Erosion :v:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Oh my God. Best set ever. Best card ever. Best draft-around card ever printed.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TheKingofSprings posted:

The best deck not owned by someone named Jace, maybe.

Or Sorin, I'm pretty sure.

Kiora's deck was easily the best against AI because they had a massive blind spot about how to combat it effectively. I think Jace's deck was the best against human opponents.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ulamog ist unzerstörbar.

Still not as funny as Señor Myr, though.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bagrada posted:

That's labeled 201/269. Seems like a lot of gold, artifacts or lands. Even with 20 basics and a few more greens. The last green in M14 is 203/249.

I wonder if at some point they'll deliberately name cards to confuse people about the content of the next set. Maybe there are tons of green cards after Soul of Zendikar alphabetically.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Earlier this page, dude.

Can anyone spot the problem:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

While we're on languages, here's my collection of every language Magic has ever been printed in:

I'm still looking for a foil Portugese Graceful Adept, a Korean Serra Angel, and a Russian Golgari Grave-Troll.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everblight posted:

You need a Phyrexian-language Elesh Norn now too. Good luck. (I like that you included Pig Latin)

That's a great idea, I'll just head over to Ebay and... and... wish I had four hundred dollars.

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is there a rhyme or reason for the particular cards in languages? I think I might have a serra too.

Just cards I like, or have good memories of. Shelkin Brownie is one of the worst cards ever, and it's from Legends, which was printed more in Italian than in English. I want the Portuguese Graceful Adept because it's misprinted with some English text, so it would make a nice 9th foil. I want a 4th edition Korean Serra Angel because that card got Magic censored in South Korea - the classic Serra Angel art was considered too provocative. I want the Russian Golgari Grave-Troll because I like Dredge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everyone has already sung his praises, I'm just going to point out that he would be great even without the X cost to make him as big as you can afford.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Would it be a good idea to buy some Hurkyl's Recall online for $20? Vintage might become a big deal online soon, and there aren't a lot of copies out there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

whydirt posted:

So what happens if you acquire two Palianos or Aether Searchers in the same draft? Noting their colors or associated card is easy during the draft, but without marking them how would you know which is which in your deck? I guess you could roll a die or something to randomly determine which one it is when you play it?

You can name multiple cards, and then get the choice of which one to get when you cast each Aether Searcher. With Paliano, you'll end up with two lands that each tap for one of four colours. The key here is the phrasing "chosen as you drafted cards named..."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

field balm posted:

High tide online could shake up pauper a little, not looking like much else for the format in masters.

Arrogant Wurm and Circular Logic were spoiled earlier, they'll likely have an impact. Some of the goblins that have been bumped down to common could make appearances in that deck.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnacondaHL posted:

Ahaha I just finished T-64 with Breakfast Burrito. Like I was just handed cash for that deck's performance. Thanks goons! :)

Congratulations! What kind of matchups did you win and lose with it? Were you running The Mimeoplasm or Underworld Cerberus kill? Any particularly funny stories to share?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zorak posted:

Temujin starts his life as the son of a low-class hunter in a steppes consumed by tribal warfare, loses his extended family and is made an outlaw, and ultimately sold into slavery. By force of will and a revolutionary view of transforming and ending the Steppe's endless cycle of tribal strife, he defeats and consumes all the various tribes of the Steppes, transforming what was a multiple loose tribal associations of hunters raiding each other into a unified state based on meritocracy with then-strange things like religious freedom, a non-repressive multi-cultural society, a unique martial code, and what amounted to an executive royalty that actually was beholden to law. There's a reason why there's a joke that the Mongolians are the exception to basically everything about ancient civilizations; they never even bothered to adopt large scale agriculture beyond free-range herding.

Would the rules work with this? "If Genghis Khan would deal lethal damage to a creature, you may gain control of that creature instead."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

homerlaw posted:

Isn't the standard template something like "When a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, return that creature from the graveyard to the battlefield under your control."

Right, but Genghis didn't reanimate undead armies, he would present his enemies with the ultimatum "join me or fight me."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gorgeous west posted:

Playing standard, when I'm up against UW control or the like (already a tough matchup for me) I tend to feel rushed into misplays because first games always seem to take 15-20 minutes and I worry afterward about match time in general.

That being said, I've never actually gone to time in a game. Can anyone explain to me just how it works? because I swear I've heard different things from different players. Should I scoop the first game early-ish if it's taking long and I only have an outside shot at a comeback in that one? Or is going to time generally a concern for the control player themselves as well? I'd be interested to know if anybody has advice on this scenario, since I haven't been playing standard long at all and I haven't really spent time playing super-serious control myself

If you're playing at FNMs and haven't been playing that long, don't make your head spin by worrying about scoop strategies, just concede games that you're sure to lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Everblight posted:

If you already won game 1, what was he doing? Slow-playing for the 0-1 loss? If he had the win handily game 2, he should have crushed you. Then at least he has a chance to win the match, and if things go bad, slow-play game 3 for the draw.

Maybe it was a bad matchup and he didn't want to go to game 3?

There was someone who took Legacy Turbofog to an SCG Open and finished with a record of 1-1-9.

• Locked thread