Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zorak posted:

People thought Elspeth would see no play because she was too expensive and didnt "do much".

Sure, but that was an objectively poor assessment. Anyone can see how valuable Elspeth is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mikujin posted:

No it doesn't. Rev's CMC is only 3 in non-play zones; when you cast it it's CMC is 3+X.

Even if it did, the damage would be negligible compared to Rev itself.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

vOv posted:

While I was looking for UG X spells to channel all that Kruphix mana into I found this thing. I love looking at old cards where they had an idea they really wanted to do and if that involves 10 lines of rules text, so be it!

Also it's casual as gently caress but casting Increasing Confusion for 0 so you can cast it from your graveyard would be pretty great.

e: Astral Cornucopia :getin:

My favorite card of cards that have no clue what the gently caress is going on is Chains of Mephistopheles mostly because the Oracle text that tries to make it better, is so, so much worse.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Veyrall posted:

Also, Sphinx's Revelation got a whopping two comments about how it looked kinda okay.
This card kinda confuses me. I mean, it's about time Black got creature kill spell that can compete with White's whole "Kill a creature SO HARD it's not even a memory", but were Bestowed creatures really such a huge threat? I mean, I guess maybe they thought there'd be a bigger emphasis on Bestowing in Constructed play than there was? Or maybe it's more for limited?

Kruphix seems okay
I don't think its meant to replace Hero's Downfall. It's more like something to put in the sideboard of a black dipping deck instead of having something weird like Unravel the Aether or Revoke Existence.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I remember 4th edition. Everyone was all :supaburn: about the game being dumbed down for kids because they cut all the cards that had offensive art or referenced demons and airbrushed the pentagram out of Unholy Strength.

I remember being salty as gently caress that they took Demonic Hordes out, although in reality they probably took out Demonic Hordes for other reasons.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Who remembers Kookus?!

Nobody?

I never did get a Keeper of Kookus.

And there's always Word of Command for when you really need to confuse everybody in the room.

For some reason Kookus is on the Reserved List.

Speaking of weird text, I like the fact that Chains of Mephistopheles has oracle text that makes no goddamn sense but the original text is perfectly fine.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 10, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mcmagic posted:

The reason you're playing the 5 color deck (at least in my opinion) is to be able to play both Sphinx's rev and Rakdos's return. If you're playing creatures like Polukranos or SB Dragon you don't need Chromanticore anyway. The issue is that it just NEVER sticks unless you can bestow it on something which is slow as hell and even then it dies pretty easily to just about anything other than Doom Blade.

The reason you play a 5 color deck is to live the impossible dream of bestowing a Chromanticore on a Chromanticore.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jimmy Jazz posted:

How has mutavault destroyed the format? I mean sure it made pack rat super annoying but it's not like revelation or thoughtseize in that it essentially dictates what decks are viable.

Because it suffers from the same problem that the original duals run into - almost literally every competitive deck has the card, frequently as a 4-of. And its $35. gently caress Mutavault.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Does double strike mean that red fellow triggers twice if unblocked?

Pharika is really bad. It doesn't even do the same thing dredge decks are doing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Burn in what format? Standard? No, that card isn't interesting at all.

It sounds just okay to me because a game where he goes off in a burn deck is probably a game you're already going to win.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

She costs 1 more than the Ooze, has an extra black mana in the activation cost, doesn't gain you life or give you a body when you cast her, and can't hit anything but creatures.

I don't think it would have been too overpowered to do that.

My biggest problem with her is that she doesn't do anything at all without actively investing your resources into her, which are probably better spent on other spells, many of which in a B/G deck are competing, like Nighthowler.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Jarad and lotleth troll make her pretty easy to online really quickly.

..as quickly as turn 4?

If you are playing Jared why would you ever use her, though? They work at cross purposes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

For the indestructible body, ignoring the ability. Dredge is already going for a 5/5 with monstrous that same turn, but indestructibility is also good to have.

Which is totally conditional, and if she plays anything like the other gods, I don't see why I would expect her to be activated terribly often.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AegisP posted:

I suppose if you're also running Nylea in your standard dredge deck, then having Deathtouch Trample Snakes would be mildly useful.

Yeah but its just a pile on card then. I'd much rather have Nylea than Pharika.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

UR could be silly because you make a shitton of Master of Waves and then they vomit out tokens before dying :getin:

You can't target something more than once. You also can't target Master of Waves at all because it has protection from red. Actually its a fake target effect, so scratch the second comment.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The same Master of Waves with protection from Red?

Its not targeted. The language just says "choose a creature."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Lunsku posted:

We are talking about Twinflame here, right? "Choose any number of target creatures you control" and so on.

Yeah I was confusing it with the blue one that lets you copy a creature without targeting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

jassi007 posted:

You mean this card, right?

choose any number of target creatures...

Yeah, we talked about that already. I was thinking of the blue card that lets you copy a creature without targeting.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Applebees posted:

You can tell this was really pushed. It is so much better than Two-Headed Cerberus.

I'm just not totally convinced that Flamespeaker isn't just a Win More card since you still have to pay for the drawn spells. Obviously, I could be wrong and it could be a powerhouse.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 14, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

Little kids don't play against standard decks, they have their deck they made from the 7-8 packs they bought and the event deck/duel deck they talked their parents into buying and their opponents tend to have similar decks as well.

Which is why this mechanic seems to occur as a No-Mana effect, either on the creature trigger or as Chandra's +0, to get around that entire issue of only being good lategame. The other form of red draw, the reverse looting/Faithless Looting cards are closer to you letting go of something to grab that cool shiny thing on the ground.

When I was a kid playing revised, I never even thought about anything other than convoluted combos that I didn't really understand.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Archangel of Thune is better than Serra Angel, but it isn't strictly better. It has one less power and lifelink instead of vigilance. It's "different and better" rather than "exactly the same only better" like Deadbridge Goliath vs. Korozda Monitor in RTR.

I think the former kind of "better" is more interesting than the latter.

e: and I messed up my example, I forgot Korozda Monitor has trample. But the new red mythic vs Two-headed Cerebrus is an example of "strictly better" rather than "different and better".

Baneslayer Angel is technically not "strictly" better than Serra Angel, either, since it doesn't have vigilance. "Strictly better/worse" and "Dies to Doom Blade" are the two criticisms of a card that drives everybody crazy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

My favorite obscure reason why one card is better than another is usually City in a Bottle. For example, "Mana Confluence is better than City of Brass because it is unaffected by City in a Bottle," or "the Arabian Nights Mountain is strictly worse than every other Mountain because of City in a Bottle." (which isn't true anymore)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 14, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Primeval Titan isn't strictly better than Kindercatch because Kindercatch gives more devotion.

Also, that strictly better subreddit is really strict with its definition of strictness. Firedrinker Satyr is strictly better than Jackal Pup, I don't care what silly edge cases you come up with.

The idea that a card is potentially better because it requires extra amounts of colored mana vs. colorless is kind of funny, actually.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Big blue creatures have always been expensive with a downside, even back to Alpha.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Serperoth posted:

In your very link there's a common 5/5 blue creature that is situationally unblockable.

It's just one out of seven, but I don't think that a no-drawback blue fatty, even overcosted, would be too much. My biggest issue is that Godhunter Octopus is such a waste. Awesome name, awesome art, really cool flavour text... For a pretty unplayable card. Shame, really.

That's just part of the color, though. You aren't given many choices in big creatures, especially in limited, where you don't have the option to load up on the better stuff at uncommon and better.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Not to derail from DACK FAYDEN, GREATEST THIEF IN THE MULTIVERSE chat, but I had to step away from MTG Salvation card evaluation threads. They are so, so bad, it makes my teeth hurt. They evaluate every creature as though your opponent has two open mana and a Doom Blade in hand at all times, and every 3-drop as though your opponent has T3 Domri T4 Polukranos in every game.

I mostly get annoyed with the phrase "dies to Doom Blade" simply because its an excuse to not explain an often-relevant argument in favor of a slogan.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

How many cards are left to spoil? There have been disappointingly few cards to use in a keranos deck, I was hoping izzet would get more fun spells. New mesmeric fiend is cool though.

About half, but we've seen all of the Mythics.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Gynovore posted:

Based on today's poo poo, I'm going to say that unless Jund gets some beefy tools in JOU, Azorius/Esper control will be off the charts until next block. Banishing light and D-Sphere give it eight cards that can handle anything, plus a two-mana instant that makes gods go bye-bye. Sweet.

Sure, but those decks have to take something out to put more O-rings in. Getting hit with D-Sphere or Banishing Light isn't necessarily worse than getting hit with Syncopate.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

There's no way I wasn't super stoked about a UW card draw spell! Although I do remember a lot of people going "life gain who cares Blue Sun's Zenith sucked and this is worse" so maybe I wasn't!

That's just because people like to repeat the mantra that life gain sucks. But lifegain only sucks in a vacuum where the only choice is Healing Salve.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I've made tons of rules mistakes. Most of them are just noobish stuff though, like using Abrupt Decay on a D-sphere before the Exile ability resolves.

Tardigrade posted:

Strangely it seems like, after a quick search, there aren't any creatures that naturally have trample and deathtouch together (Cairns Wanderer doesn't count).

E: since it's the top of the page, I'll also add that I had a similar experience learning how the two keywords work together. Seems like an interesting "skill-tester" interaction that should exist on some core set card.

I've died to a Deathtouch-Trample interaction and due to not realizing you can't just exile AEtherling after declaring blockers if the attacking creature has trample. I guess that's learning.

Loving Life Partner posted:

So someone can cast a counter even if the target spell is uncounterable? At least in paper magic? (I mostly play MTGO where I don't think the client would let you, because why would you?)

I assure you the client will allow you to. It just won't work. I know because I once absentmindedly attempted to Gainsay a Supreme Verdict. I just lost the Gainsay along with the board wipe.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 17, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

I don't understand the mistake here. Perhaps you're thinking of Oblivion Ring?

When the D-Sphere comes into play, if you destroy it before the Exile ability resolves, that ability is still on the stack, but the LTB effect from the D-sphere can't retrieve your exiled card. It just stays exiled forever.

Serperoth posted:

Yes he does. Pharika uses the graveyard as a resource, I don't see where he's wrong. It's pretty weak, sure, but that's what Pharika does, she uses something from the graveyard, to make a permanent. That's what "graveyard as a resource" means.

He's missing the point in that Pharika does the opposite of what every other dredge card being printed wants you to do.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

So here's a Mack Kayden question.

Why are his hands blood red?

He was tortured or something on some random world. Also, he's Duck Faygo, so its just part of his charm.

Cactrot posted:

Aren't planeswalkers usually named something like "Duck Fandango, mightiest of Anaheim"? This one is missing a comma and a title.

It depends whether they have a last name or not. Ashiok and Xenagos had titles, but Ral Zarek and Domri Rade did not.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Nibble posted:

Pretty sure they tried to explain their guidelines when Kiora's card was first revealed and it wasn't named Kiora Atua. I think basically if the planeswalker has a first and last name, then the first printing of that planeswalker is just their full name. If the planeswalker has one name or has already been printed as first name + last name, then it's First Name, Title. They decided to drop Kiora's last name so she got a title instead.

They changed Kiora's last name because they determined it was offensive, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dear Wizards, this is not a Chimera. This is a Gryphon with a random cow head.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

Having a random cow head is what MAKES it a chimera.

Chimeras have a lion's body, a second goat head and a tail that is a snake. :spergin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'd really like to see if I can work something out with Doomwake Giant. I'm already playing a BUG control deck, and I think he'd work in there somehow.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RoleModel posted:

Probably just to tick it up to try for an ultimate.

I usually just target a land, but I'm more concerned that someone was playing Ashiok. Card is almost always just a distraction.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 20, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

But targeting Ashiok with Kiora is just dumb in the first place. The only planeswalker that can do damage now is Chandra. Targeting Ashiok will just make it so you can't hit him.

Yeah, a seemingly common mistake is using the +1 before combat, giving your opponent an invincible chump blocker.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Fallen Empires was a set of fantastic flavour and awful, boring, unfun card design. There's about three interesting cards in the whole set, Goblin Grenade, High Tide and Hymn to Tourach.

There's a reason FE packs sat on shelves for years afterwards.

Hymn to Tourach isn't interesting so much as its loving overpowered and obnoxious. Imagine Hymn in standard right now. *shudder*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you don't think Hymn to Tourach is totally broken, you didn't play with Hymn to Tourach. The problem with Hymn to Tourach is that random discard means you can discard land out of your hand while you still have a full hand, and even later in the game when you've played all of your cheap threats. Hymn to Tourach might be more random than Thoughtseize, but its more relevant during the entire game than Thoughtseize is.

rabidsquid posted:

"Necroptence is probably fine let's just hit the other pieces" was the greatest Ban and Restriction List chronicles of our time.

The decision to reprint Necropotence in the core set was just super.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 23, 2014

• Locked thread