Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

Rabid Wombat, it also needs a reprint in the next set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

Seattle Magic goons: is there any place nearby I could play Standard on a night that's not Friday?

Green lake games has Monday standard listed on their site, but I've never been there for it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

A netdecking opponent is awesome when you run slaughter games.

oh, you've played 4 islands? Well then slaughter games naming Master of Waves.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

PRADA SLUT posted:

Do people use software or a website or anything to make decks?

I use Deckstats, mostly because it exports BBcode for easy posting in the deck building thread.

edit: me spel gud

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 12, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fish Of Doom posted:

In my experience, Rakdos Aggro destroys mono black. Side out the Marauders for thoughtseizes and burn, and side out the doom blades for dark betrayals. Mono black is usually just too slow to deal with something that wins turn 4 or 5. I've never lost to mono black with it, though this was all pre Drown in Sorrow, which probably hurts the match up a bit.

G/R is tough if they get their mana dudes out and drop a Polukranos turn 3. You can usually get in some damage in the first three turns because they are reluctant to block with their mana dudes. I usually side in thoughtseizes to get rid of big creatures and peak eruptions to destroy their lands. Destroying a stomping ground turn 3 can keep the stormbreaths away long enough to get that final damage in. Mogis's Marauders can also just steal this game out of nowhere.

The toughest matchups I've had are White Weenie, Boros Burn, and anything running Blood Baron.

How big of a hit is not having Thoughtseize? I've got the deck built except for those and I'm not really excited about purchasing a whole playset that costs more than the rest of the deck.

Any suggestions for other SB candidates in lieu of Thoughtseize?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fox of Stone posted:

Ah yes. I forgot they print counter spell and cancel at rare.

Both of those are less powerful and complex than FOW, it's clear that you don't understand how rarity works.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Don't understand the need to take pictures if I've already got a notepad out for life totals. Why would I take the time ask my opponent if it's OK for me to take a picture, pull out my phone, find the camera app, line up a shot, double check to make sure it's legible, then take a second one if it's not?

Seems like a roundabout way to justify using your fancy pocket Facebook device.

"Hold on"
*scribbles in shorthand*
"I'll pick that one, thanks."
works a lot better.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bhsman posted:

Why would you need more than one photo?

Because image stabilization on a lot of phones is awful at taking recognizable pictures.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AlternateNu posted:

I had to pass a foil Karametra during draft tonight because the other rare was a Brimaz...
I wanted to just scoop my cards and call it a night, but that would've been too dickish.

Foil awful vs. Regular good stuff isn't a reason to be upset.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Stinky Pit posted:

Against the backdrop of the mid to late 90s, Magic was really unique looking and cool

This for sure. I remember seeing a copy of Natural Selection in elementary school and having my mind blown.

Edit: does not look as cool as I remember.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

NofrikinfuN posted:

How does pauper EDH work? Does the commander not necessarily have to be legendary?

I suppose thats a fair point about Murdergoats being a forum darling. It's just weird when people bemoan modern staple prices when new cards rotate into modern all the time. If a strategy becomes too expensive, by all means abandon it for a different one.

Usually the rule is, 99 commons and your commander can be uncommon but doesn't have to be legendary.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Ran into the magic equivalent of a sports dad on gameday. I had played against him and lost to his UW control deck, then later saw him making one of his kids (who couldn't have been older than 14) goldfish an esper deck between rounds, spouting "inspirational" phrases like "top 8 is in here *Points to heart*" and "It's not the cards that win matches, it's you".

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 3, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Zoness posted:

How do you goldfish an esper (presumably control) deck? I'm pretty sure all Esper lists are reactive in nature.

I was only half paying attention as I was making trades at the time, it seemed like he was calling out card names, or situations for the kid to respond to.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Some Numbers posted:

Sorry, I'm not being clear. This is the hypothetical I'm thinking about :

Me: Slaughter Games?
Opp: Naming?
Me: [card name]
Opp: Cast [card name] in response.

If they say naming? just ask if it resolves, they can't counter it so why even give them an opening?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Every time I see someone playing storm, it really makes me want to play storm.

But modern is too expensive right now :(

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Who is planning on playing at SCGSea this weekend? SWEET STANDARD ACTION YO.

I'm playing a suicide black deck I posted in brewhouse, before, with some modifications.

Will probably also bring a Commander or two to play as well once I inevitably drop.

Thinking about showing up with rakdos aggro, is there a bar nearby for when I inevitably wash out?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone else make it out to SCG seattle? I'm prepared to lose horribly and blame it on my hangover rather than my awful play.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Stinky Pit posted:

It's probably not that kid's fault, he's from the Pacific Northwest and so basically mentally handicapped but if you make specific choices to look like a tool people are going to assume you are a tool.

Hey gently caress you and wherever you come from too.

Guess goons have to hate on something all the time, no matter how insignificant.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

ScarletBrother posted:

Seems like a cool place other than the fact that they don't know how to set up a Theros block draft correctly (BNG-THS-THS).

Doing it wrong and having two pods do it both incorrectly and differently is also very weird.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

L0cke17 posted:

I played quite a lot of it, but they banned everything I enjoyed so I left.

But Legacy is about balancing the ability to have any one spell castable on turn two with the ability to have the mana to cast all your spells around turn four. Mana-denial is what makes Legacy interesting in a lot of ways. There are a huge amount of spells and effects which allow you to increase the amount of mana you have available. Hell the deck you said you want to try is a ramp deck. If you want to make an entire strategy out of having more mana than your opponent with cheap spells and lands which produce more mana than your opponents' lands do, why shouldn't there be ways to interact with you and remove your mana advantage? Casting all your spells is a privilege, not a right. If you only want to play expensive color-sensitive jank off non-basic lands, then your opponent who is playing cheap jank and land destruction will always beat you. But if you play expensive spells, and have conservative mana, with lots of basics and early interaction, you will outclass the cheap threats and LD decks.

I would say that while mana denial can in itself be interactive, it is not meaningfully interactive. Removing your opponent's ability to interact with you does not make a game interactive.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Mono-B aggro...

I would avoid Pack Rat. Detention Sphere is really good, and being used a lot.

Here's the deck I ran, that was a lot of fun to beat people with.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-b-heroic-1/

Is eyegouge just maindecked to deal with Mutavaults? :getin:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So before we all get swept up in the next week's tournaments I want to give a shout out to our gaming crew that swept the top four of SCG Seattle legacy last week. Great job Greg, Rob, Batman, and Rupes! It feels awesome to see our work pay off after such close losses in earlier tournaments.

Also everyone try as hard as you can to be a social person and link up with players. Having friends to cube with, borrow cards from, share on rides and hotel for trips to tourneys with, strategize on fb while bored at work with, test with, and go drinking with or just gently caress around and bs magic stuff is so much more rewarding than just occasionally playing matches. Especially if you can put up some results!

Go team Legendstech!

Wait, you were one of the dorks in the construction crew orange shirts? :v:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I can't wait for sphinx to rotate, playing against and watching decks that run it is just boring as hell.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korak posted:

Yeah it just feels too efficient at times. It does everything a control deck or some funky midrange deck wants. I'm extremely curious what they do come rotation for Huey in terms of both counter magic and drawing card magic. Steam Augury is a fun card but its incredibly skill intensive and you really need it in a deck where every card is a powerhouse or you get some major benefit from your opponent helping you dump certain spells into the graveyard. Doing a quick gatherer search, Theros and BNG send a huge message that if you want to draw cards you better play creatures and enchantments to allow you to do so.

My problem with Sphinx really boils down to the fact that it lends itself too well to a deck that easily drags the game on. I really hate having to concede in game 2 just so I can move to game 3 and still worry about going to extra turns. And on top of that, in my experience the people that play it tend to take forever deciding their plays.

Steam Augury is a card I really like. It's got no place right now because if you're thinking of using it, you might as well just run Jace instead, it'll be interesting to see if it becomes more useful after rotation. I'd like to see it happen.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Matt Tabak hasn't gotten back to me on Twitter yet, so I present to you the following problem:

I control a Celestial Dawn. I cast Pact of Negation. On my upkeep, I go to pay for the Pact with five white mana. MTGO doesn't let me pay for it. I lose since all I can do is decline to pay and lose.

So, am I ruled out, or bugged out?

Bug, you would have paid for pact with mana of any color as allowed to you by dawn, but the client didn't allow you to choose blue to pay for pact.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korak posted:

Holy poo poo crazy epic game at GP Cincinnati, Brad Nelson came back from 1 hp to win his way into the finals. Opponent had lethal with an alpha strike but played around a 4 of in brad's deck instead of pushing for the win himself.

And it ends up being another esper mirror finals :smith:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

morning wood posted:

I'm ready to hear all the Esper Control naysayers explain why the deck is bad :getin:

I don't think its bad, if anything its too good and has overstayed its welcome. There were so many other more interesting decks this weekend, but esper still beat them.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Delver takes a game loss... For mixing cards from a ponder into his hand? I missed it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Mulletstation posted:

Emrakul trades with 21 birds in combat.

edit: or 10 flying pack rats.

4 flying pack rats and the 6 swamps they came from :ssh:

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The March Hare posted:

What they aren't continuing to get is even more money. When the Mike Jordan's of your game are tweeting about how lovely your product is, that becomes real incentive to improve.

Yeah, I've never played mtgo, and I probably never will. Despite it already being a game I like to play, I'll never touch it online when all I hear is how broken and awful everything about it is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

It feels really good to resolve burning earth followed by erebos against UWx control.

Edit: even better when your opponent is wearing a fedora and a smugface.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Korak posted:

Speaking of actual speculation it seems that wotc.pdf with some very limited JOU info that was going around the past week or two had this bit slipped in it.

Minotaur token generator? Are there any older minotaur cards that make tokens?

Only two minotaurs make tokens, but neither make Minotaur tokens

If there is going to be a Minotaur token generator, watch some goon spin that into Murdertaurs.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

theironjef posted:

Watch for the next expansion based on this, Journey into Giant Robot Panty Shot.

New mechanic, panty shot: look at the bottom N cards of your library. Put any number of them on the bottom of your library in any order, and put the rest on top of your library in any order.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Isn't there every reason to believe Tarkir is Wizard Mongolia?

I thought it was Sarkhan Vol's home plane, but there's no reason it can't be both.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Eh on the specifics like Susano-o but I see your point about some more generic stuff. Unfortunately, the general tengu tricker temperament meant they were competing with a goblin variant in the red creature spot. There was some inspiration from tengu masks for the eventual visual design of the akki, but the prevalence of crow forms among tengu depictions meant they lost out. A red tribe who ought to have consistent flying, and would therefore demand it several times in the low rarities, wasn't going to pass. White kitsune got in based on the fox servants of Inari. Between serving someone and Inari's association with rice fields, the foxfolk shrank from their initial places in several colours to taking up a more prominent place just in white.

I completely missed Kamigawa, but did they do any of the wacky Tsukumogami monsters like animated umbrellas and possessed sandals?
It seems pretty obvious that they could have used them for artifact creatures.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

morning wood posted:

Opened three Theros packs today and got a Labyrinth Champion, Nighthowler, and a Temple of Triumph. :suicide:

I opened my FNM prize packs and one of them had an arbiter of the ideal and a foil arbiter of the ideal in the same pack...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tharizdun posted:

ahahahaha are you serious bro?

No shop will have either of those ever.

Bring your own loupe and blacklight, or better yet, ask them to tear the card in half and look for the blue layer.

In my my head it goes something like this

Buyer: Ok, lemme just pull out my loupe and blacklight to verify the authenticity of this card before we proceed.
Alright, seems legit, just lemme splash some water all over this before we do the bend test.

Seller: seriously dude? get out of here and go gently caress yourself.

Buyer: another scammer found. :smug:

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 3, 2014

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

vOv posted:

What? BXCX already has the cradle, I figured they just wanted to borrow an LGS's loupe and blacklight instead of buying their own.

Yeah, I did misread the question, but that is also the scenario that plays out in my head when questions like this come up.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

kizudarake posted:

Kinda hard to call a judge over when there is no judge, and the TO is playing, too.

If it is a DCI sanctioned event, neither the judges nor the TO are allowed to participate in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Count Bleck posted:

IS THAT THE 3/1 VIGILANCE 3 DROP?

What IS this deck?! :aaaaa:

Its a 2 drop actually, brushstrider is the star of this tournament.

• Locked thread