Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

uggy posted:

I do actually wonder what everybody's fav/pet card is.

CHAINS

OF

MEPHISTOPHELES

:whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

I'll never not love the story about how someone designed LED to be the shittiest card ever, and now it's the most widely-played card from that set (block?). I love it when plans hilariously backfire like that.

Mystical Tutor and Flash are both banned in Legacy. Otherwise, both of those would see more play than LED.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't understand why the Duel Decks have to be such garbage.

I mean, we've got:

Premium Deck Series: Generally lovely but thematic.
Event Decks: Almost FNM playable out the box.
Duel Decks: Complete poo poo.

What's the target for these anyway?
It's certainly not for new players who want to get some new stuff to maybe get into an FNM. A bunch of the stuff in here is only legacy/vintage legal. Give them an Event Deck.
It's not for tournament players. By the time this hits, RtR will be getting ready to rotate driving down all the RtR reprints like Underworld Connections.
It's for like, I dunno, kitchen table only players who want a couple of planeswalkers and the unplayable leavings you find after a draft that people didn't want.

Here's the theoretical selling points:
Jace: Getting ready to rotate and will drop like a stone since he will never see Legacy play.
Vraska: Pretty much unplayable in every format.
Remand: lovely new art, but probably the best thing in the box value-wise. Wizards finally wiping after they poo poo the bed leaving this out of Modern Masters.
Underworld Connections: Rotating with Jace and Vraska. Will probably be tanking by the time this is released.

Come on now?
Was there really any reason to shove Agoraphobia, Sadistic Augermage, and Drooling Groodion in here?

The only real redeeming feature this has is the sweet new art on Body Double.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mortimer posted:

Then give an alternative...?

Wanderer is insanely good in multiplayer and 1v1 alike. He won't win you friends, but he won't lose you friends like dick decks (augustin) do.

Ha ha ha.

Maelstrom Wanderer? Did I get the SA Forums and MTGS mixed up?

Unless something's changed, your ace for winning prizes in multiplayer edh is Scion of the Ur-Dragon with Hermit Druid Combo, Worldgorger Dragon Combo, and, if you are feeling super skittish about not having enough combos, Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity/Keen Sense.

I think most of that stuff is banned in French 1v1, though, since they don't have ~Sheldon~ making GBS threads up the format.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
EDH sucks because Magic: The Gathering: A Wizard Poker Experience is a game designed to have a winner and a loser and the minute you start playing with your primary goal as something other than being on the correct side of that divide, you start making GBS threads things up for everyone because you've decided to play a different game without regard for everyone else's time.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Literally The Worst posted:

What if everyone is playing with the same goal in mind mand is there for the same purpose?

:black101: EDH is loving awesome. Too bad it never happens. :negative:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

No, he's saying that about Standard, in that it's impossible to get really badly price-squeezed unless you stubbornly insist on holding onto your soon-to-be-rotating Standard staples past the point where they become worthless for obvious reasons. If you trade intelligently and are willing to let go of your pet Standard deck in late spring/early summer, Standard isn't really that expensive to play and stay competitive in from season to season. Just manage your card pool intelligently and according to the format's painfully predictable patterns and seasonal swings.

My time is more valuable to me than what I would get from ~value trading~ each rotation. gently caress that noise.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zero_Grade posted:

Just a heads-up for Rebecca Guay fans, ie most people with good taste, her art book Kickstarter is ending in five days. It's apparently the only opportunity you'll have to get it outside of ebay.

She's also tossing in a free artist proof card with sketch for every order due to the excessive funding.

And, as we remind people every time they poat that link, it's potentially NSFW.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

It pitches to Force, right, that makes it Legacy playable right there.

It also flips delver.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Legacy's a weird format.

U - Sorcery - You lose the game.

Would probably see some Legacy play.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TicalStal posted:

You can make a pretty janky modern deck with that, hive mind and platnium angel

You don't need Platinum Angel.

But, yes, Hive Mind was what I was alluding to.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

rabidsquid posted:

To me the worst junk rare was Grindclock, because MSS was a really fun format but it was full of bombs so while other people are opening Consecrated Sphinx or White Sun's Zenith you got a card that could mill someone out slightly faster than they'd deck themselves naturally.

Apparently you are unclear on how Grindclock and/or Proliferate work.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Death Bot posted:

Just did some number crunching because I'm bored at work, with no Proliferating involved, the fastest that Grindclock wins alone on the draw is turn 13, after rolling up to 4 counters on turn 5 and milling every turn afterward. Not knowing the format, being able to guarantee that speed (barring artifact destruction, obviously) and improving it even more if you're able to Proliferate at any point sounds pretty good

That sounds like constructed. It's even faster in limited from my memory. Like Sands of Delirium in M13 limited.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

Is Pack Rat the first Constructed playable Spellshaper, even though it doesn't have the type? It's got the same kind of "Discard card: Do a thing that's like another card" ability, only the card it's copying is itself.

No. Waterfront Bouncer and Mageta the Lion were both playable.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

Well I've been playing MTG for a little over a month and I'm going to try my first booster draft for FNM this week. Any tips would be appreciated!

Go read the first 2 posts of the Limited thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361226

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How exactly do you structure an EDH tournament?

4 man pods, usually.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If any of you can show me one Modern match 1/10th as good as Little Kid w/Storm vs. Hoodie Dude w/ Bant Counterbalance, I'll consider upgrading the format from Least Interesting Format Ever.

Also, I literally watched a dude get beat up by 1/5 Dream Stalkers last weekend. Format is solid.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Serperoth posted:

Do you have a link to that? I'd very much like to watch it. :3:

SCGLive NJ Leg Rd3 AJ Kerrian vs James Rynkiewicz: https://youtu.be/1Qwm904bq3s

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
This just in: If Wizards dissolved the Reserved List and made a decent run of Legacy Masters, you'd be able to bear witness to the last game of Modern ever played.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brownhat posted:

Except no. There are quite a few Modern players that don't enjoy the playstyle of Legacy.

Both of them would get over it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brownhat posted:

I didn't build a Modern deck because I "couldn't get into" Legacy. I also play Legacy. Hardcore Legacy players cry about every stereotype for their format while telling everyone how boring and terrible their format of choice is. It's like they really believe that the only legitimate reason to dislike Legacy is because you can't afford it.

Turns out they are right.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LordSaturn posted:

I vaguely remember that they actually changed the rules early on with respect to activated abilities, so that in those days, killing Tymaret/Prodigal Sorceror would actually stop the ping. That's the "swinging sword" model.

That was never the case.

quote:

Example: Your rival uses an artifact. You respond by destroying the artifact with a spell. Since your spell is not an interrupt, the artifact's effect still takes place, though your rival can't use it again.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnnie5 posted:

Man gently caress my LGS. I showed up at 6:45 for the 7 pm draft only to discover they'd already started. There goes my Friday night. Anybody in Bmore want to draft?

Dude. There's like 12 stores within spitting distance of the Beltway. Just hit up one of the others.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Veyrall posted:

It's time for you to play the most power Magic: the Gathering spell of all time: Physical Activity, a card so powerful, few dare to even cast it once!!!

But yeah, that's lovely. Is there no bike culture in the Baltimore area? In the larger cities down here, we've got bike paths set up and it's a way cheaper alternative to cars.

Baltimore does not work that way. Not owning a car isn't a viable plan.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JerryLee posted:

Straight U/W control was the exception, that probably could have run fine without any Masques cards.

Blinding Angel and Accumulated Knowledge were the backbones of the deck. So, no, this is wrong.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

Don't forget Counterspell and Brainstorm! I don't have a decklist handy but I have to imagine those were in there too.

Counterspell was concurrently in 7th Edition, so I didn't count it. Brainstorm wasn't actually a big thing (in UW Control, or even UG Opposition) at the time because there weren't good ways to shuffle stuff away. Rebels, on the other hand, ate up Brainstorm.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

morning wood posted:

Speaking of Aetherling, any predictions on the next big creature for control? Aetherling, Blood Baron of Vizkopa, and Obzedat, Ghost Council are all rotating out at once.

Yeah. The bigass blue dude printed in JOU HUE.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of card speculation, any idea why Thalia doubled in price recently? Not that it's horribly expensive now but I traded three away right as it was going up :(

Because demand increased while supply remained constant. :eng101:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I started the day with 21 Food Chains.

I now have 1. I think I'll hold onto that one.

Today was a good day.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pack Rat was undeniably the coolest card to come out of the shitpile that was RtR block (honorable mention to Rakdos' Return, if only for the windmill slam).

If you don't like Pack Rat, you aren't fit to play Magic: The Wizard Pokering in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Fourteen.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Brownhat posted:

Being on the draw in Hearthstone is a significant advantage. You get +2 cards, one of which is basically a Lotus Petal.

Then why do Blizzard's metrics show first player still wins more?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Konstantin posted:

Hearthstone does have a ton of luck based cards, which helps balance it out. I do think it would be interesting to see if people would want to play second in Magic if you got a free Lotus Petal in addition to an extra card, I think it would make the decision a lot less of a no-brainer.

Why would it be interesting to see random things thrown into a game balanced under a particular ruleset? "Gee I wonder what it would be like if we like let everyone start with three lands in play." It would be dumb as gently caress. Just like your idea.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

Yeah but I mean, there's speculation and there's suggesting "Let's give one of the players a card that was banned from Standard and Extended at some point".

That's the absurdity - Lotus Petal is an extremely strong card in Magic.

Don't forget Restricted right now in Vintage. But, yeah, sorry I poo poo on your special snowflake ideas because they were dumb. Feel free to keep dovetailing onto the end of a couple of pages of really terrible armchair designers who make terrible points about a game they clearly and demonstrably do not understand on a fundamental level by trying to shoehorn completely unrealistic ideas into this game. I wouldn't want to stifle your creative process with logic or reason.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Boxman posted:

On the subject of other Games, what do people in this thread think of Solforge? I know we have an "other CCGs" thread, but I'm specifically curious what Magic players think of the game. And it's sorta related, since Garfield was involved in its design.

Solforge is an amazingly awful game full of poor design decisions and is a blatant money grab that has not only failed to deliver on its kickstarter promises, but also muddied the waters by making cards untradable if you acquire them in "the wrong way". There's a lot of discussion on these issues in the Solforge thread and a lot of people are very bitter. From launch, to this day, the most effective way to acquire new cards is to make bots play each other in your stead with horribly lopsided decks. That's a damning indictment on its own. There's a litany of other issues, but even on that alone, it's hardly worth investing in compared to MODO, Hearthstone, Might and Magic, or just plain punching yourself in the crotch.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Huxley posted:

Free Lotus Petal is stupid in Magic because there are tons of ways to turn 2 mana on turn 1 into a T1 win.

Free Lotus Petal is fine in Hearthstone because the best thing you can do with it is "Land, Petal, White Knight, go."

If you agreed to play 100 fair decks full of nothing but creatures and removal, Magic would handle it fine, too. Evidence: People don't run petal in Legacy Jund/BUG/etc.

Don't forget how having both an extra artifact and 0 CMC spell would affect things like Affinity/Storm/Metalcraft (for those unaware, the Hearthstone Lotus Petal has these interactions too). It would also invalidate Manaless dredge as a deck. I could have written pages upon pages about why this would lead to the player on the draw winning 80%+ of the time, but instead I just summed it up by pointing out that you can't just throw random rules changes at a balanced game without breaking it. Which is simultaneously true, obvious, and the only argument that needs be made. But that sort of got ignored. Somehow.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Death Bot posted:

You're right but you could have posted that half sentence instead of getting vitriolic. Not a single person is disagreeing with you, and if anything I think we should stop this discussion in its tracks to figure out who exactly pissed in your cheerios this morning.

Brownhat did.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

jassi007 posted:

I've read before that Richard new that some of the cards like moxen etc. were powerful, but they never envisioned people getting 4x of the power cards to make constructed decks. They figured most players would spend $30-50 on cards, and so in an average playgroup one or maybe two people would have one really good card. Basically they envisioned magic being played like sealed. In a sealed pool, 1 mox is not crazy.

Cards were originally not limited to 4 per deck.

C-Euro posted:

E: Also while we're talking about Ritual, best art right here and I won't hear otherwise-

You could not be more wrong if you tried.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

bhsman posted:

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure all Dark Ritual art owns. :smugbert: What now?

And yet...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
PSA: Within 15 miles of the center of town, Baltimore has 20 (Twenty) stores at FNM level or higher, most of which stock singles.

This doesn't even count the stores around DC that are 45 minutes or less away.

Welcome to the Wizard Poker Mecca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

What a Judas posted:

This is a piece of poo poo store run by piece of poo poo people.

This right here is the God's Honest Truth. I'd chop my own dick off before I went to that hellhole again.

• Locked thread