Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Last Stand has a place in my heart, because of how dumb and janky and useless all the effects are, but god drat it, I cast it!

Deckit fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I used to called Gray Merchant of Asphondel "Gay Merchant of Assbuttland" but it never caught on. Gary is way less fun.

Also Innistrad Limited we would call "Galvanic Juggernaut" Big Juggz.

E: Also my pet card is Figure of Destiny. I have a soft spot for white weenies that suddenly become enormous.

I call Gary "Gay Merchant of rear end Fondle" but luckily no one at my LGS plays Mono-B except for one fellow, who I haven't fought at FNM in quite some time.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Game day report! Went 3-1, going into a swiss finals for top 4 in third place. Went undefeated in swiss to win a playmat and a box. :buddy:

Played Bant Control. http://deckstats.net/decks/7504/67882-crashin-bant

Round 1: U/W Control
G1: There was a bit of back and forth on counterspells, neither of us letting the other land a planeswalker. Or if one did land, it was immediately Detention Sphere'd. Entire game lasted about 20'ish minutes.

G2: Sideboarded in Mistcutter, Skylasher, Dissolve, Swan Song. Sideboarded out Kiora, Verdicts, Detention Spheres and Quickens. Game lasted all of 5 minutes as I flash summoned in Skylashers turns 2 and 3, her verdicted and I summoned Mistercutters turns 4 and 5.

G3: Much of the same as game 2. Lasted a little longer for me to counter D. Sphere on my Jace.

Round 2: G/R Aggro
G1: My opponent mulled down to 5 and was getting worried by then. He kept it and curved out perfectly into double Legion Loyalist and Xenagos Fanatic. I died with two verdicts in hand and only one tappable white source on the field, my land draw for that turn being a Temple of Enlightenment. :negative:

G2: Sideboarded in Aetherize over 2 Dissolves. I mulled to 6 because I had no verdict, D. sphere, Azorius or Selesyna Charm in hand. My six hander had a verdict and Azorius charm. He started out with a Legion Loyalist which pinged me for three turns. Turn four he blood rushed and I bounced it with Azorius. He then played a Xenagos Walker next turn and it went down hill from there when I didn't draw a D. Sphere. I held him off briefly with Kiora, but 2/2 haste tokens ate me and her. Only loss of the day.

Round 3: Rakdos Control
G1: My opponent did Torment'd Hero into Madcap Skills into double Cackler. I held him off briefly but didn't last long after one verdict and he played Exava.

G2: Boarded in 2 Aetherize, 3 Swan Song. Took out 2 Dissolve and 1 Syncopate. His turn 1 through 3 were much the same as last game, but I Azorius'd his Hero turn 3 and D' Sphere'd his 2 Rakdos Cackler's turn 3. Aetherize'd Exava. He then played a Mogis against me after a cackler. I ate 4 points of damage before playing Kiora and +1'ing on him to prevent the damage. Suck it, Slaughter Causer. I ultimated Kiora after counter'ing two lightning strikes.

G3: I ate Cacklers to the face before Athering them and Exava. Quicken into Verdict turn 6 and got an Elsepth out. He got a Mogis out and I sac'd tokens until I got a Kiora to prevent the damage a turn later.

Round 4: Mono B Devotion
G1: His turn 1, thoughtseize. Took my Verdict. I draw a new verdict and scry away a Kiora. Turn 2, he plays another land and thoughtseizes me twice. Takes my new verdict and Sphinx's Revelation. I draw into a D. Sphere and scry away some land. He plays a pack rat and chumps a land card at the end of my turn for another one. I d. Sphere his rats away after eating damage. He plays another one. I cast a Selesnya Charm for a 2/2 knight and block. Both die when he activates mutavault. He plays a demon and I dissolve. I then Selesyna charm another demon later. Then about 3 or 4 minutes of us playing lands and passing turn as he eats away his own life via 1 Underworld, and then 2. I D. Spehre them away when he starts Gray Merchant'ing for 2, since he's so low on life. I eventually cast an Elsepth and a Kiora. He Downfalls Kiora but I protect Elseph with Syncopates. Game lasted a long rear end time but I eventually ult'd Elspeth.

G2: Sideboarded in 2 Dissolve and 3 Swan Song. I took out 2 Quicken, 2 Azorius Charm and 1 Syncopate. He duresses turn 1 and takes my Kiora. He Thoughtseizes turn 2 and I counter with a Swan Song. gently caress you, this is my Kiora and D. Sphere. Game ends quickly when I resolve a Kiora, protect it with Swan Song, Dissolve and remove his Desecration Demons with Verdicts and Selesnya Charms. Ultimate'd Kiora and crushed him under Krakens. :black101:

Cuts to top 4, I place 3rd.

Round 5: G/R Aggro

Same dude that I lost too before in round 2. :negative:

G1: I block almost all his creatures with Selesnya Tokens. One his Legion Loyalist gets bloodrushed with Goreclan Ramapager and trades with my Advent of the Wurm token. (He was attacking with two creatures, so my tokens could block). I manage to stablized and Rev. for 8. I resolve an Advent of the Wurm and can finally start swinging in, tramping over smaller creatures.

G2: I sideboard out 2 Dissolves, 3 Syncopates and put in 3 Swan Songs and 2 Aetherize. Our first round, he had Skull Cracked one of my Sphinx's Revs. He had also used Armed//Dangerous and Flesh//Blood before, so I wanted to counter that poo poo. I die quickly to a perfectly curved hand of double Legion Loyalist, Fantatic of Xenagos and Xenagos Planeswalker. :negative:

G3: He started out strong as hell with double loyalist, again. He bloodrushed and I bounced it with Azorius charm. I stabalized with Atherize into Verdict. He plays a Stormbreath and swings once. I play a Kiora right after and neuter it for the entire game. I end up playing out an Advent and Selesnya charm to block his dudes, keeping Kiora safe. I rev'd for 7, leaving one Island untapped. He skull cracks and I swan song it. He scoops.

FINAL ROUND
G1: Playing against the U/W control player I played against in round 1. He unfortunately (for him) get screwed and mulligans down to 5. He's stuck at 4 lands for a long time and I was free to do what I wanted, even D. Sphere'ing his Elixir of Immortality. I ultimate Kiora and crush him under krakens.

G2: I sideboard in exactly as before. I cast two Selesnya Charms early, hoping to force a verdict since I have two Mistcutters in hand, along with Swan Song and Dissolve. I get really greey on turn 5 and counter a Glare of Heresey and Cyclonic rift, protecting both tokens. He then casts an Elspeth. A total greedy misplay on my part. My Mistcutters are rendered useless against a token onslaught. I die a couple of turns later since I don't have D. Spheres in the deck.

G3: After lengthy deliberation with myself, I mull to 6. My opening hand was 6 lands, 3 of them scry, and a Selesnya Charm. I didn't want to get hosed by my deck flooding me with lands. I keep a much better hand at 6 and start off with Skylasher at the end of his turn 2. He verdicts turn 4 to clear away my Lasher and Knight token. I mist cutter for 3, leaving mana open to Swan Song. He does nothing for his turn. I mistcutter again for everything I have and swing. His turn he plays Whelming Wave(!?). Then he plays an Elixir and pops it at the end of my next turn. I mistcutter for 3 again, twice. Swing for his face. He pops his elixir to live. He plays Jace, -2 and gets Verdict, Verdict, D.Sphere gently caress me. He verdicts that same turn. I resolve an Advent at the end of his turn. He bounces. I resolve another at the end of his turn. He Gainsay's and I Swan Song. At this point, he's at 2 life. Blocks my 5/5 Trample with a 2/2 and I win.

Never been so happy to get a playmat. :buddy:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

So at the end of the month, my LGS is going to be hosting a 2-Headed Giant Commander tournament. Prizes will be either a box or rare foils like Wurmcoil Engine rarity.

The girlfriend and I are thinking of doubling up on Nekusar because we hate the idea of fun. :colbert:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

There an 8 year old girl my shop whose parents both play and she kept begging to come so they caved....and she actually out-drafts her mom. She is going to be the coolest person ever when she grows up if she stays weird and doesn't turn into a total bitch, she is ridiculously witty and amusing for her age an can talk some serious poo poo during a game.

This other boy I haven't seen in a while, apparently his grades slipped a little so dad won't let him come back until that improves (good on him)...he's 11 and placed higher than I did at the last SCG Open we went to.

I generally hate children but love being around these two. It gives me hope that not all parents are poo poo today. It's also amusing to watch the ways they've overcome the not-insignificant obstacle of handling these cards with such tiny hands :3:

The moral of this story: teach your kids Magic. (endorsing this statement as both a player and a former math teacher....seriously, this poo poo really helps math skills, I used it in lesson plans all the time)

There are some pretty non-poo poo kids that come into our LGS. Sometimes during FNM we'll get a group of kids and their father. Its always fun to brew with them, because they have no guile and want to make their mill deck work. :3:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Night Danger Moose posted:

Maryland, you say. If you're around-ish the Annapolis area, let me know. I kind of have a penchant for organizing things.

What a Judas posted:

Baltimore, which isn't too terribly far (but is probably terribly far to go to sort some cards).

I sense an east coast meetup stirring.

Everyone meet up and organize each others cards. Its like a tupperware party but for wizards. :science:

Jorath posted:

The sorting discussion just came up on Facebook recently. I have an old library card catalog holding my collection.

http://imgur.com/BbDo18D

Night Danger Moose and I have been looking everywhere in antique shops for this. The only place I could find one was on etzy for obscene amounts of money. I might bite the bullet and try e-bay.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I think because its not fun to play against. Play a spell! Countered. Play a single powerful creature to lure a verdict, hero's downfall. Play a bunch of smaller creatures to avoid a snipe spell and get damage, verdict. Then it'll take a while for them to find their win condition and kill you.

Granted, Esper vs Esper would be fun to watch.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Nekusar, the Mindrazer + Tainted Strike

Do these two interact the way I think they do? Cast Tainted Strike on Nekusar before a draw phase, and the damage he deals to people drawing cards would be in poison counters, correct?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Awesome. The girlfriend and I are going into a two headed giant EDH tournament today. We both have ways to pump that up, like Teferi's Puzzle Box This is gonna be fun, losing friends. :unsmigghh:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I'm playing a Bant control deck, and as much as I would like to utilize the new Ajani, he won't fetch me my spells. I might give him a play test with a more creature heavy deck and see how it goes though.

I could see him being played in a bigger Selesnya deck that ramps. Buff up your rampers, fetch threats, get killed by Hero's downfall instead of one my threatening dudes.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Chained to the rocks for Courser/Bigger stuff, voltron up a dude with enchantments is probably your best bet. Celestial Flare for sideboard.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

:psyduck:

That's what happens when you just casually glance at the actual card because it's not in English and then just read the rules text translation.

That's very relevant info that changes things. A lot. That's MORE resilient than Nighthowler then. If there's enough support to consistently trigger it, then I'd say it's very playable, especially as it allows you to load up your graveyard and just play one or two creatures you can pump (then shrinks back down to dodge things like Elspeth's -3). No need to overextend into a wrath to keep your clock short.

I could even see something silly like Feral Invocation making an appearance alongside this, but imagine bestowing a Nighthowler on a creature to trigger this the same turn. Assuming you dodge instant-speed removal in response, that can be dangerous.

I could see using Mana Bloom to turn even your mana dorks into a deadly threat. Lotleth troll would probably be ideal for its trample but poo poo turning anything into a bigger creature every turn seems pretty good if you build around it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I think Lotleth Troll is critical if you go that route. Not only can you dump unplayable creatures for extra damage (i.e. Jarad gets stuck in hand or something), but his regeneration has been infuriating for me as a control player lately (forced me to run more Selesnya Charms in the main to get around it). Trample is the topper, though, so you don't waste a trigger on a chump block.

CHARGING BADGER! :frogc00l:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

They will revel in the chance to spread the good word. :rimshot:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I absolutely can't wait to Oracle of Bones someone with a Worst Fears in hand. :black101:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Yeah, a seemingly common mistake is using the +1 before combat, giving your opponent an invincible chump blocker.

Choosing when to +1 and give an invincible blocker is part of the fun. A few games I'll +1 on a desecration demon and swing in with my Prognostic sphinx. I want my scy, damnit!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

edit: wrong thread :v:

VVVV--- Thank you for the suggestions. I might have Life from the Loam!

Deckit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2014

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Quite a few people show up at our store for 2HG looking for a partner. I'm not sure how they split cards for their pool afterwards though.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Do you mean the sealed pool or any potential prizes? How many packs do you get to work with in 2HG anyway?

The sealed pool. Two people who didn't know each other at all beyond the store made two complimentary decks. One a hyper aggro and the other controlling. They did really well, I just don't know how they split up the cards after the event. The prize pool they split evenly.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went black at the pre-release. Ended up with a B/U deck that worked really well with constellation. Went 3-2, losing out to my girlfriend and a player whose pool was god drat amazing for black. Lots of kill spells, Abhorrent Demon + Black Prerelease dude and two Garys.

Milled out three people with Thassa's Devourer and Returned Centaurs. :3:

Durdled and killed other people with Flying Gorgon Aspect'd sirens.

My big note is that Thassa's Ire is god drat amazing and I will pick it up in draft whether I am in blue or not. U for an enchantment, 3U: tap or untap any creature. Saved my rear end a lot.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

M14 I went all in with Mill. Pulled a traumatize and three tome sours. Made it simic and durdled with fogs and high toughness reach creatures.

This past pre-release I had a mill sub theme on Saturday. Thassa's Devourer x2 and 2 or 3 returned centaur. I think I won via mill 3 of my games. Went 3-2 overall.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I wanna do dirty things with Master of Feasts, Dictate of Kruphix and Notion Thief. :unsmigghh:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

Don't forget Dakra Mystic and Whispering Madness!

Why yes, I have been thinking about this.

I knew about whispering madness but.. Dakra. Oh. Oh that's fine indeed. :pervert:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I treasure my Grim Tutor. I've had it since I was little, from a starter 1999 booster. :3: It will always have a place in my commander deck.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

This is why the pro tour-type players have MTGO accounts - you can't play 50 games by demanding your girlfriend drops what she's doing right now.

I linked this comment to my girlfriend, and she replied "You can if you have a good girlfriend." Then did a :colbert:

I haven't played on MTGO for a long, long time. Maybe I should give that a whirl. I ,after all, hate money. :shepspends:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

All the world is an arena to the glorious followers of Iroas, friend. :smugbert:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Rules question:

Bloodrush reads "X, discard {name of card}: Target creature gets +X/+X." Because it says discard, I have to have the card in my hand, correct? I can't first strike damage with Prophetic Flamespeaker, exile a Pyrewild Shaman, pay 2 to bloodrush and discard it from exile to give his second strike +3 damage?

edit: And literally 20 seconds after posting I think to look up Nightveil and Bloodrush, since the interaction would be the same. Nope, card has to be in your hand to discard. Boooooo.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

:science: Repeatably eatable spell for Nivmagus every time it hits as well!

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went 4-1 at Gameday, then split with Top 4 for the play mat. Was running a Selesnya Constellation, splashed red for 1 main board Assemble the Legion and two sideboard Boros Charms. I love the friggin' thing. :allears:

Only game and round losses were to Esper Control.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Can anyone tell me why Phyrexian Obliterator is so expensive? I can't find any decks that actually use it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Drafted Conspiracy twice tonight and won both times. :allears:

The first one was just the absolute best. I drafted a swell bant deck; simic splashed white for Brago's Representative, Selvala (Taps, everyone parley) and an unquestioned authority. I hate drafted a Magus of the Mirror in P2, got passed Vedalken Orrery and another Magus of the Mirror. :staredog:

So the Unexpected Potential (Card you name can be cast with any color of mana) I drafted earlier for Selvala got switched to Magus. :holy:

Game went on for a bit, the other players playing heavy parley for everyone to draw. I had a Magus in hand from the beginning and played Orrery on turn 5. By turn 8, I was down to 3 life, purposefully letting people beat on me. "You won't swing on; no balls. No balls. Aw poo poo, you swung at me.. :smith:" End of turn, flash in Magus. Switch health with another player at 29 health at my upkeep. :unsmigghh:

Game went downhill for everyone else, using the 4/4 flying fellows that counter the first ability used on them.

Draft Round 2, I got lucky with a Mirari's Awakening and a lot of Rouse the Soul cards. Was in a three person game and killed the other two pretty fast with Echoing Courage.

Someone at the draft table pulled a foil Dack Fayden, which was nice to see. :unsmith:

Overall, I love the poo poo out of Conspiracy.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Kind of miffed they don't have a "Next page" at the bottom of the page when scrolling down through a card search on Gatherer. Scrolling back up is annoying.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Zorak posted:

Hahaha that's cool effect wise

:allears: Could this be what slivers MBC needs to finally be viable? :allears:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Discarding only happens from your hand; no milling shenanigans here, sorry.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Its not worse than the others, it just isn't a game ending summon like Legion. Got a semi-decent board? Cast Legion. You probably just pumped your entire board up by +6/+6. Now swing for lethal.

This on the other hand gives you protection. I like it a lot better because I like indestructible bugs. :science:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Haha, holy poo poo that is brilliant. 10/10

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Back to Nature! BOOM.

Tormods Crypt? Thats one way to hate on Golgari decks.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

3-0 split for my Pre-release. Went red, ended up going Gruul. Lots of aggro cards, blah, blah, similar to how everyone elses went it sounds like. Who cares. The person I split with had an insane sealed pull. His first pack was Chord of Calling and Foil Chord of Calling. At one point he chord of call'inged for a Hornet nest and blocked a 5/5 dude. :stare:

The real fun was drafting afterwards with prizes. :3:

Ended up with a Simic deck. I loving love Frost Lynx, Quickling and Invasive species. Slowed the game down to a crawl against all my opponents. Favorite play of the night, echoing from my opponents play earlier, Chord of Calling for 7, pulling out a Hornet Queen against a fullboard swing and clearing them out. :black101:

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Girlfriend and I went to the second prerelease event today. 2HG sealed. We went 4-0, going went with green and red boxes.

Our green pulls were insane. We ended up with me going U/B and her mono green. Her deck was hard ramp, 2 phytotitans, soul of Zendikar, 2 Silverback Apes, Scuttling Doom Engine, Chord of Calling and the two Scavenging dudes that get +1/+1 for each creature in all graveyards.

MVP was definitely Murk Lurker leech though. 1/3 for 2U, or a 2/4 if you control a swamp. Its activate ability is to give target creature life link. Uhh, okay. Partner, you swing in with your big poo poo. I'll give them lifelink every turn. There wasn't a single game we didn't not go above 50 life (some games into the 90's). Coral Barrier was also really helpful. the 1/1 Island walk squid did lots of damage to people.

Our toughest match was against two people playing G/R and U/W. The G/R didn't have much gas and kind of puttered out, drawing all his ramp late game. The U/W had Resolute angel, resetting their health at 3 health. Then played Mecurial Pretender on her a few turns later. And then bouncing him again... Ugn, it was clever and annoying.

M15 has been a blast. I can't wait to get started into standard with it. I hope things get shaken up in this super standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Green got lots of love in M15, with a new walker, Genesis Hydra being redonk, Hornet Queen making MaRo rage, and Chord flashing in big dumb creatures for every occasion.

I love Chording in Phyrexian Revoker in response to a Planeswalker. "Cast Jace/Elspeth. Response, Chord of Calling. Phyrexian Revoker. Naming Jace/Elspeth." :allears:

• Locked thread